• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I would hope so, but sure isn't looking like Nintendo even remembers it exists. After the travesty that was the last game, it's not exactly surprising. At this point they'd be better off doing a Remaster, Remake or Reboot and finally none of them are particularly promising.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Fire Emblem got a chance in new era of gaming and social network with some adjustment in core game and it works out and continue to everyday because it has a chance.

I think Golden Sun deserve that chance. It's establish IP have some fanbase which is good and you need to sell the new gamer to get into this game. If new IP like Octopath can pull off this. I don't see why this game not have a chance with everyone now seems to hunger for new exclusive game on switch.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Y'know... if FE Awakening only had to sell 250k to keep the series going, I have to imagine Dark Dawn at least hit that amount. The only empiric data is the 80k of Japanese sales, but given the entire rest of the world (where GS was more popular anyway) I have to imagine it pulled in at least 170k. Sure it's not a 1:1 ratio, but there's not closer metric for how Nintendo internally judges these things, and if anything the budget for Awakening was probably higher.

Opportunity cost is more the issue--why have Camelot make a niche game when they could be making Mario sports games instead?

IIRC Camelot lost a big chunk of personnel during the Wii era and that's why their output slowed... people tend to forget that Camelot didn't release any Nintendo sports games for Wii or DS, save for a port of the Gamecube tennis game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
After the DS one I kinda doubt it, at least for a long time.

Hated that they took so long getting that made after the amazing GBA games, but then decided to do the split-story thing again when it wasn't all that likely the game would do well enough to get a sequel and finish the story.

My hope is that someday we'll get a remake of the GBA games (preferably bundled into one BIG game this time), and then if THAT does well enough we can finally get a sequel from there.

Just throwing it out there, but Golden Sun's amazing sprite work would look pretty great in an Octopath Traveler's style engine.
Or just keep it fully sprite based, the GBA games still look so good.

I loved the mix of RPG with powers you can use in the world to solve puzzles, the dungeons, and the collectable aspect of the Djinn.
No RPG has come close to what that series did, and I would love to see more of it.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if all the people talking about the unique and unmatched genre hybrid of Golden Sun have ever played the Lufia series, specifically Lufia 2--my issue with Golden Sun, aside from the obscene amount of glacially-delivered dialog, is all the overworld stuff felt like watered-down Lufia.

Nov 17, 2017
I barely remember Dark Dawn and certainly didn't finish it. But I can't quite recall what was so bad about it?

I played the first 2 religiously and played through all of Dark Dawn, so i have a bit of an idea (I hope). Most of that games aspects were actually quite good, but It faltered in very key areas.

The difficulty was non-existent up to just before the final boss. You could get through every battle with basic attacks and a heal if absolutely necessary (I'm not joking... this includes most of the "bosses"). The final boss was the only part of the main story that had the same difficulty as the previous games.

The second major area it faltered was the plot and characters (ya, pretty important for an rpg). Despite opening up with a mystery surrounding these psynergy vortexes destroying the world you spend the first half of the game looking for a feather to fix a hand glider (riveting). The second half is fixing some other disaster completely unrelated to the danger introduced at the beginning of the game. This all made the game feel like nothing more than a prologue. Also, because they decided to give us 8 party members in one game the last 4 get almost no characterization (the 8th might as well be a no name npc).

ramping up the amount of unnecessary dialogue didn't help either for the pacing.

I still enjoyed it since I loved Golden Sun's universe so much, but I could completely understand why others weren't so enthused with the game.

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
After the DS one I kinda doubt it, at least for a long time.

Hated that they took so long getting that made after the amazing GBA games, but then decided to do the split-story thing again when it wasn't all that likely the game would do well enough to get a sequel and finish the story.

My hope is that someday we'll get a remake of the GBA games (preferably bundled into one BIG game this time), and then if THAT does well enough we can finally get a sequel from there.

Just throwing it out there, but Golden Sun's amazing sprite work would look pretty great in an Octopath Traveler's style engine.
Or just keep it fully sprite based, the GBA games still look so good.

I loved the mix of RPG with powers you can use in the world to solve puzzles, the dungeons, and the collectable aspect of the Djinn.
No RPG has come close to what that series did, and I would love to see more of it.

Yeah this is the most frustrating thing, any sequel should have the condition that they have to finish off the storyline. I can't believe how arrogant Camelot was, they finally get a chance after all these years to finally finish the story, but then they end it on yet another cliffhanger? I just don't get it at all, it's almost as bad as Shenmue 3 all but confirming that it won't finish the storyline. Some devs are just too stubborn about their "vision".

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt it. Camelot don't have a staff for a game like Golden Sun to be made for this gen. They'll be doing Mario Tennis and Golf like they've been doing since the 2010s

Nintendo have the copyright of the franchise along Camelot just like many of their franchises made externally but they have more percentage as well.
They have more percentage of what?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have more percentage of what?

Of the copyright. Nintendo as the publisher gets more but the developer sometimes have it as wellm like here with Camelot.

For example, even if owned by Nintendo, Monolith have the copyright of Xenoblade along them, unlike Retro with Prime and DK or Nd Cube with Mario Party.

OP
OP
Cudpug

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
For me GS was kind of like Pokemon Gold and Silver and Zelda: Oracles of Ages and Seasons on the GBC. It seemed ahead of its time and the hardware it was on. Even at the time as a little kid I was playing these games like, 'how have they managed to fit these enormous and complex games onto this tiny cartridge?' and Golden Sun was no different when the GBA came around. It was beyond anything I'd seen at the time on the system.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Golden Sun was definitely an impressive game in that regard and I think the whole "whoa this is on a handheld?!" factor, plus the general fact that it was one of the few JPRG-ass JRPGS published by Nintendo in that era, is why people remember it so fondly... if it'd been, say, a late Playstation game, I don't think anyone would still be talking about the series today.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Sun was definitely an impressive game in that regard and I think the whole "whoa this is on a handheld?!" factor, plus the general fact that it was one of the few JPRG-ass JRPGS published by Nintendo in that era, is why people remember it so fondly... if it'd been, say, a late Playstation game, I don't think anyone would still be talking about the series today.
I disagree.
Golden sun 1 & 2 does a lot of things right in term of rpgs
First the music. Motoi sakuraba tried and it shows.
Second Every Npc has multiple lines depending of the story AND and second set of dialog if you actually try to read their minds
Third An incredible flexible class and magic system
Fourth HIgh production values for the platform it was on.
Fifth plenty of secrets

Sure the story was ok and that's not what people will remember the game. But there is no denying that the game worked because it had an incredible level design and it was well polished too

Formless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
I don't know how they can come back and make a new one after the travesty of the DS title. Just remaster the first two games onto the Switch. Octopath Traveler is working as a great replacement for the time being.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dark Dawn was seriously not as gut-wrenching as y'all make it out to be. The goggles you got on for the GBA games are just too rosey.

Emulation and roms wrecked that gen of handhelds, and it's depressing we lost a number of series' after that drop off point.

Anyways, it'd be great to see. I feel it still really fits Nintendo's brand, it's an established IP, and RPGs are more than sorta "back in fashion" these days.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Dawn was seriously not as gut-wrenching as y'all make it out to be. The goggles you got on for the GBA games are just too rosey.

Emulation and roms wrecked that gen of handhelds, and it's depressing we lost a number of series' after that drop off point.

Anyways, it'd be great to see. I feel it still really fits Nintendo's brand, it's an established IP, and RPGs are more than sorta "back in fashion" these days.

The first two GS games suffered from a lot of the same issues Dark Dawn did, but generally not to the same extremes as far as I can remember. One of the reasons I think a combined remake of GS+TLA would be a good way to reboot the series is they could address some of those issues, like the excessive wordiness or lack of difficulty. The game gives you this cool class system and then says ignore it because everything dies quickly to normal attacks.

Last edited:

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy one day-0 even if it's Dark Dawn tier. (I didn't get around to finishing Dark Dawn, which probably says something on its own, but I didn't actively think it was that terrible (other than the art style change - the DS was not strong enough to give Golden Sun the 3D look it deserves after the way the GBA games looked).

I don't expect we'll ever see one, though. :(

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
The first two GS games suffered from a lot of the same issues Dark Dawn did, but generally not to the same extremes as far as I can remember. One of the reasons I think a combined remake of GS+TLA would be a good way to reboot the series is they could address some of those issues, like the excessive wordiness or lack of difficulty. The game gives you this cool class system and then says ignore it because everything dies quickly to normal attacks.
Depends if you're greedy with summons, really. Bosses are generally HP sponges in TLA, so doing only normal attacks would be inefficient to say the least. If you're too confident and overextend though, the decreases in stats when summoning could bite you in the ass eventually. Which is why the class system is a fantastic risk/reward venture. I agree though. Besides Dullahan, none of the bosses really pose an extraordinary challenge. There's always Battle Mode though to test your skills. (and hopefully not encounter too many Dullahans lol)

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I would buy one day-0 even if it's Dark Dawn tier. (I didn't get around to finishing Dark Dawn, which probably says something on its own, but I didn't actively think it was that terrible (other than the art style change - the DS was not strong enough to give Golden Sun the 3D look it deserves after the way the GBA games looked).

Yeah DS 3D was not the best choice for Dark Dawn. They tried to preserve the style of the GBA games but it should have been a sprite game to really accomplish that. Imagine a Radiant Historia style Golden Sun on DS, would have looked so good.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
The original GBA games were great for what they were at that time on that system, but outside some pretty visuals, the DS game didn't really do much new. And honestly, at that point a lot of it felt pretty archaic to me. I pushed pretty far into it, but never finished it.

Unless they breathe new life into it, I'd rather they leave it alone.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I listed my rather numerous issues with DD in the other recent thread, so I'll say that I'd rather have GS stay dead than see it receive more DD-quality titles. A remaster that combines GS1&2 would certainly be much appreciated, if nothing gets negatively affected.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
The narrative you always hear that GS is only beloved because of when/where it came out is so fucking smary and disingenuous.

You may not like it, but many people think they are classics of JRPG design.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Golden Sun 1 and 2 were brilliant.

But it had a definite end, the DS game wasn't necessary. And I think it showed that the creators felt the same.

Some of the best video game music. Sakuraba's best work.

I'd be on board for a remake but Camelot is small company and the scale those games had on GBA is way too big budget if it were to be on switch in 3D.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Whether it was due to Nintendo or Camelot, waiting so long to do Dark Dawn really damaged the series. Particularly with Dark Dawn releasing so late in the life cycle with minimal marketing, on a system that was rampant with piracy by that point. It barely had a chance, and it's subpar reception didn't help. It should have been a 3DS launch title.

In any case I think there's a chance. There's been some solid RPG success on the Switch now for Camelot to give it a go. Unfortunately I think they are still a pretty small studio, so I'm not sure how well they would manage a RPG now. I mean considering the content issues with Mario Tennis...:(

Golden Sun 1 and 2 were brilliant.

But it had a definite end, the DS game wasn't necessary. And I think it showed that the creators felt the same.

Some of the best video game music. Sakuraba's best work.

I'd be on board for a remake but Camelot is small company and the scale those games had on GBA is way too big budget if it were to be on switch in 3D.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are old interviews of them talking about 1 and 2 as the beginning of a longer series of games. I think there was definitely an intention to continue, but who knows what happened after 2.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, there are old interviews of them talking about 1 and 2 as the beginning of a longer series of games. I think there was definitely an intention to continue, but who knows what happened after 2.

The scene after the credits blatantly teased there was more going on than what you settle in those games. I guess if you completely ignore the existence of Alex as a character GS+TLA can be standalone though.

Nov 23, 2017

I hope not. Camelot is over.

So when's the last time you played Golden Sun?

Jesus, so smarmy.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope so, would love a remake of 1&2 on the switch, though I don't think Camelot has scaled up for such a project.

I go back to Golden sun every couple of years and always have a great time, really love the class system, puzzle/level design and overall narrative.

Deleted member 32615

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
i mean, if Isaac can get in Smash via the ballot (which is probably the only method of him getting in at the moment), there's a chance Nintendo takes a look.

OP
OP
Cudpug

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I replayed GS on the Wii U about two years ago and genuinely believe it still stands up. Something about its visuals and music is still enchanting to me (a bit like Tales of Symphonia which I also frequently replay).

Sol Sanctum is an amazing song.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can't really see Camelot doing this series again, or doing it justice. If it is ever revived, I'd only want to see it revived by another developer. And I'm not really sure who would want to do it, or who Nintendo could give it to. Monolithsoft might be the closest fit, and I'm sure they could do a good job, but undoubtedly they'd rather work on their own things.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Any chance that if Octopath does as well as it's reported to do, it could prompt Nintendo's interest in a revival?

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I hope we do see another Golden Sun game again but I feel like it's unlikely.
You never know when Nintendo will decide to revive a franchise, so there's always a chance Golden Sun will make a comeback.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Judging by Mario Tennis Aces, Camelot has 40-50 people. A new, proper Golden Sun would have to be heavily outsourced so I doubt it's gonna happen in the way people want. I don't think there's a feasible way for them to continue the series tbh. It's been too long since Dark Dawn and even longer since the originals.

If they wanted to force it, they'd probably best served to make remakes of Golden Sun and The Lost Age in a style similar to I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear and then go from there.

TLA is one of my favourite games but honestly, at this point I'd rather just have a new series altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.