• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
No love for Nuclear Throne? I'm in the Dead cells camp here as well but for pure random runs, Nuclear Throne is my favourite.

Edit: Damn, I forgot about Rogue Legacy. I spent so many hours on that game on the Vita.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Gungeon towers over BoI and it's not even close and i say that as a fan of Isaac.

The gameplay of Isaac just doesn't cut it anymore and plenty of other rouguelikes have picked up the slack.

These days to me Isaac is something you recognize for what it did for the genre and not for the actual game itself.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I love Isaac but Spelunky is the GOAT and I dread to think of my playtime once it launches on Switch.

I really don't get the fuss with Gungeon at all.
There's the sequel as well, but I don't think it's been announced for Switch yet.

On topic, I love BoI for the power ups synergies, but as pointed out several times the moment to moment gameplay isn't as engaging as other roguelikes. It's still one of my favourites though.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
There's the sequel as well, but I don't think it's been announced for Switch yet.

On topic, I love BoI for the power ups synergies, but as pointed out several times the moment to moment gameplay isn't as engaging as other roguelikes. It's still one of my favourites though.
Yu acknowledged the demand like... 3 years ago. Also the sequel might have timed PS exclusivity.

Apr 24, 2018
Your Binding of Isaac is my Spelunky. Like, Slay the Spire has recently grabbed my attention in a way that most roguelike games don't. But I'm pretty sure that there will probably never be another Spelunky for me. Like, it's basically "perfect."

(This thread reminds me I do need to give Isaac another shot, as well as Gungeon; need to buy Dead Cells)
Spelunky is crack. AND THEREFORE THE CRACK BE SMOKETH.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Yu acknowledged the demand like... 3 years ago. Also the sequel might have timed PS exclusivity.
I guess it does unfortunately. I don't have anything against exclusives but for a game like Spelunky, it's a bit sad.

The first game on Switch will already ruin my life though, so maybe it's for the better.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
No love for Nuclear Throne? I'm in the Dead cells camp here as well but for pure random runs, Nuclear Throne is my favourite.

I love NT, and I'm frustrated with Rami's unwillingness to make full length games. They couldn't even finish the last NT update, they ended up relying on a fan patch to do the job. Vlambeer are solid with their games, but they don't seem geared to making anything outside of the scope of what you'd see in a game jam.

Ultrabugs is on the horizon, and while it looks neat, it's much smaller in scope.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like one of the best aspects about Binding of Isaac that a lot of the other recommended games don't really pull off is just how ridiculous your build can get.

Enter the Gungeon doesn't get all that wild afaik. Something more comparable would be Risk of Rain 1 or 2.

Edit: Damn, I forgot about Rogue Legacy. I spent so many hours on that game on the Vita.
Nuclear Throne is great, but last I played it, the game's locked to 30fps which is dumb.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Boi is mental but gungeon has my heart, just about. I hear what people are saying regarding variety, feel like gungeon took a lot longer to open up with some of the more mental stuff

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Risk of rain and spelunky made me love gaming again

Isac never cought my interest really

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
I loved BoI: Rebirth but I'm more into rogue-lites than rogue-likes now. Dead Cells was pretty good, but Rogue Legacy is still king for me.
Hated Enter the Gungeon and for the life of me I can't beat Nuclear Throne.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game was at it's peak until Afterbirth vanilla. Didn't enjoy the Plus expansion very much but it's still the clear roguelite king for me. Slay The Spire has the potential to come close to me with further updates (although it's a very different game).

I never got deep into Dead Cells because the first few areas always felt so long and repetitive. Now I read the description of the new DLC that it improves specifically the first third of the game. Should I give this game another chance with the expansion? Gameplay itself felt very tight.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get on with Gungeon at all, hated the way it controlled and plays in general.

Now, Hades? Probably one of the best games I've played in the past year. For me, that's the one that has taken Isaac's crown. Tight controls and gameplay, amazing artwork, fantastic voice acting and story. Cannot wait for the full release, and what Supergiant have in store beyond.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Spelunky is easily at the top imo, or Rogue Legacy if that counts. There's also Downwell, Risk of Rain, Just get Through...tho i like Isaac as well.

If Spelunky 2 can manage to be an improvement on the original, it's going to be mindbogglingly amazing.

Spelunky 2 is in development, so yes.

Can't remember where i heard it or if i'm not imagining things, but wasn't Spelunky 2 confirmed as not being a roguelike?

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Spelunky is the king.

I love Isaac though. There's just so much variance from play through to play through that I've never had another game be able to match.

TheOneJat

Oct 1, 2018
BoI will always be king for me. Thousands of hours between the original and the newer one across multiple platforms.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Also hated having to look up power-ups online in Isaac. Like the guessing game on what some items do because the game didn't explain them pissed me off. Made decision-making irritating rather than thoughtful.

Not sure if any descriptions were ever added, but Isaac sits untouched for years while I prefer to play other similar titles instead. I do agree crazy synergies can be fun, but bleh when It's difficult to parse wtf something does.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have like 500 hours in Isaac and started playing Rebirth in 2014. I have 600 hours in Slay the Spire, which I bought last year. It's my favorite roguelite of all time, and one of the most well designed games I have ever seen. Compared to Isaac, it feels so much more fresh, the synergies are way more intricate, and the game doesn't start getting fun only if you get a damage upgrade early. The characters play differently as well. Isaac is not bad, but it has a few design quirks that can be annoying, such as the absolute plethora of useless items.

Funnily enough, I never got much into Spelunky because it's one of the more repetitive roguelites for me: the flowchart of killing the shopkeeper, going to the hidden market and sacrificing to Kali means that every run is basically you with a shotgun and a jetpack/cape flying around the map safely and saving bombs for the basic final boss. Wish the game had more items and viable strategies.

Last edited:

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Isaac has INSANE item variety, but the core gameplay was always a bit boring for me. Others like Gungeon and Hades are far more interesting, gameplay-wise.

Slay the Spire, too, but I feel like it can't be compared with Isaac because it's a card game.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I never got deep into Dead Cells because the first few areas always felt so long and repetitive. Now I read the description of the new DLC that it improves specifically the first third of the game. Should I give this game another chance with the expansion? Gameplay itself felt very tight.

I say yes. I too bounced off Dead Cells a couple years ago after banging my head against the first few areas and feeling progress was stifled by repetitive environs and mostly unforgiving moments and punishing death.

Revisited with new DLC and all the patches now and it feels like an entirely new game. The massive rebalance maybe made the game too easy on default difficulty, but I scream through the entire game now on normal. Fascinating to finally see all the weird weapons, different levels, and secrets I never knew about. I'm hooked and am ready to start trying the harder difficulties which add a bunch of stuff.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
capsule_616x353.jpg
Came here to say this.

Both Tangledeep and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky (Rescue Team as well, but not as much) are both far superior to Issac already. I played 5 hours of Issac before getting sick of it. I have hundreds of hours in multiple PMD files, and 120+ in Tangledeep.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
for me personally it is Enter The Gungeon so addictive and put so many hours on switch also Dead Cells

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Binding of Isaac: Repentance baybee. The king is coming back.

But yeah, it's really just unfair at this point. I play roguelikes for the varriation and dramatic gameplay differences between runs, and no game is ever going to be able to compete with Isaac and its 5 major content expansions and 5 booster packs on that front. It's so far ahead of the pack on that axis that I have a hard time envisioning anything ever beating it.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have 1000 hours into this & it's by far my most played game ever despite taking suggestions on other games like Spelunky, Flinthook etc. nothing gets it quite like this game; the item variety and moment to moment gameplay have left me spoiled I guess, I keep trying to move on but it makes me feel like I don't even like the genre I just like Isaac which makes me sad.

I'm just stuck waiting for the next one I assume but if anyone has other suggestions please throw them at me.
Hades, Slay the Spire, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells just to name a few. And soon we'll have I, Dracula: Genesis.

Also if you haven't played Risk of Rain 2 then you haven't lived.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Subbing to this for the many great game that have flown under my radar.

Have much love for Spelunky, BOI, FTL, Gungeon, Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain and Downwell, amongst others - need to revisit Dead Cells in the wait for Speunkly 2 (and a Nintendo Direct/Indies).

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, it`s going to be released this year and is currently in Early Access:

Hades

Don`t forget to pet the dog.
ThreeHeadedBoy_Short.gif
I hope this game comes to Switch. I have it on PC and it's a great game. I should play it more. Slay the Spire is incredible.

I tried getting into Isaac but the gameplay itself wasn't working for me. Dead Cells has the best combat imo

BLASTEROID

Oct 25, 2017
What is the core gameplay loop for spelunky supposed to be? People love it and I literally dont understand why.

Whenever I turn it on I do some seemingly lack luster platforming/side scroller type action on a randomly generated level and then I inevitably die and then that's it. It's extremely charming, etc... but I know I am completely missing something.. I have to be.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I couldn't get into Isaac at all. Gungeon is my jam.
There's so many amazing roguelites out there that it's hard to take a pick. FTL, Into the Breach, Spelunky... There's also a lesser-known one that I love, Desktop Dungeons.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I jumped in to Hades this week and I'm enjoying a lot, Super Giant Games keep killing it.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I think Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, and even Wizard of Legend are more enjoyable that Isaac.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
All signs point to Spelunky 2.

But yeah, Isaac is probably number one for me as well.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I love Isaac but Spelunky is the GOAT and I dread to think of my playtime once it launches on Switch.

I really don't get the fuss with Gungeon at all.

BOI is great but it's not my favorite roguelite.

FTL, Into the Breach, Slay the Spire and Spelunky all top it. What a world we live in.

Wait: Spelunky is coming to the Switch?

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spelunky and Enter the Gungeon are every bit as good as Binding of Isaac. All three are fucking amazing games.