• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a remake of 2 (or maybe some sort of combination of 2 and Black - those games had much better level design than all the rest imo).

But it'd need better controls, I think. Feels too hard to go back and play those games now and too much of that is because the controls/physics feel weird.

May 8, 2018
Sadly it's dead. I've loved every single Twisted Metal including the 989 ones. PS3 was amazing but Sony screwed the franchise with the server issues that plagued it till the end. The game launched it's pre release demo with broken servers. They assured us that wasn't gonna be the case with the retail game and yet it was broken beyond belief. Eventually they got it partially working. But still it was a crap shoot if you'd get a game going. That is unless you were using a custom skin and had deleted it off your ps3. Once the skin server went down you were screwed and could never play the online again because it couldn't download your custom skin.

I think that was honestly the thing that killed it. Also as much as I love David I totally did not like the lack of dedicated drivers per car. Seeing each drivers story was part of the charm and appeal of the series. But yea I'd be shocked as hell if we ever see another one. Hell I'd just kill for a collection of every Twisted Metal game at least. Still that one happen either.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
TM2 & Black were great memories for me

I just realized, I should make a list of my favorite childhood gaming experiences... 🤯

When the time's right, I would definitely purchase TM Black/TM 2 on the PS5!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Probably dead at this point but I would love a remaster release of 2 at the very least. Fuck I loved the shit out of that game. I might play through 1-4 on my PS Classic sometime this week.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS3 game had potential but I think the controls were overly complicated and the online never worked for me. The European version was completely fucked up with this and censor.

I think its dead.

Oct 28, 2017
Twisted Metal PS3 was absolutely fantastic. If the online functioned the way it deserved to it would have had a bigger impact and longer life. Such a shame. It should have got a PS4 remaster that fixed it.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I predict a Twisted Metal HD Collection remake being announced at every PSX and Sony E3 conference. I will continue to do so until they bend to my demands.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I predict a Twisted Metal HD Collection remake being announced at every PSX and Sony E3 conference. I will continue to do so until they bend to my demands.

A remastered collection featuring the best games in the series would be very cool.

TM.
TM2.
TM: Black.
TM: Head On Extra Twisted Edition.

Maybe round it up to 5 games with Twisted Metal PS3 remaster as well, with proper working online.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I sure as hell hope it comes back someday. The PS3 game was brilliant... I'd really like to think solid car combat games built on reasonable budgets can still find success. I worry more about finding the right dev team for it than the viability of the franchise.

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a VR version with weapon aiming tied to your head. That way you can keep your fingers on the controls.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I'd be happy with a best-of that collects the series' greatest levels and characters while modernizing the control scheme to TM2012 standards (or better, if possible).

A remastered collection featuring the best games in the series would be very cool.

TM.
TM2.
TM: Black.
TM: Head On Extra Twisted Edition.

Maybe round it up to 5 games with Twisted Metal PS3 remaster as well, with proper working online.

Yes. I'd love to have the NSW Smash Brothers treatment for this. All characters. All maps. All single-player campaigns. Updated controls and graphics. Online multiplayer. ????. Profit.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a remake of 2 alone or a combo of 2 and black...loved TM1 and 2 back in the days, put hundreds of hours into 2 alone.

To answer the question: I don't think it will be coming back any time soon, I feel as though most have moved on from the car combat genre :-(

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a remake of Twisted Metal but it has to do a few things right:
  • Twisted Metal is a single-player story-based game. The stories were incredibly important to these games. It's not just an arena car combat game
  • Regarding the combat, you have to feel as though you're competing with 6, 8 other drivers to win the level... Which means other drivers need to damage each other as well, not just drive around aimlessly waiting for you (this is something Vigilante 8 failed to do, it was clear you were the only thing that mattered in the world)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I never played the original games growing up but I loved the PS3 game. I think if it ever comes back it'll be a F2P game.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its dead. Its one of those games that there really is no way to make it better that it was at its peak.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly it's dead. I've loved every single Twisted Metal including the 989 ones. PS3 was amazing but Sony screwed the franchise with the server issues that plagued it till the end. The game launched it's pre release demo with broken servers. They assured us that wasn't gonna be the case with the retail game and yet it was broken beyond belief. Eventually they got it partially working. But still it was a crap shoot if you'd get a game going. That is unless you were using a custom skin and had deleted it off your ps3. Once the skin server went down you were screwed and could never play the online again because it couldn't download your custom skin.

I think that was honestly the thing that killed it. Also as much as I love David I totally did not like the lack of dedicated drivers per car. Seeing each drivers story was part of the charm and appeal of the series. But yea I'd be shocked as hell if we ever see another one. Hell I'd just kill for a collection of every Twisted Metal game at least. Still that one happen either.
Is that why!

Also, so sad the skin server went down. Spent a lot of time designing skins there for myself and some GAF peeps.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played so much of Twisted Metal 1-3 growing up. I feel like for its time, the series has been a strong part of Sony's catalog of games. The PS3 reboot had some really good presentation ideas with the live action bits, lore and boss battles, but the multiplayer, net code, absurd and glitchy trophy requirements, and weird level design for some of the stages were off-putting. The worst part of the game for me was the idea of putting races in TM. It seems like it would make sense but it just isn't fun. I just need a simple fighting game concept in the form of cars, w/ bots, and "be careful what you wish for" arcade endings featuring an evil demon genie man waiting for you after the final boss. I feel like Jaffe did his best to show what the next evolution of TM would be in the last game, but it just had too many flaws going on with it.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I think it'd be cool to see the series make a return. I liked what I've seen of Twisted Metal Black on PS2. Out of curiosity, was that particular entry well received by fans?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I want Twisted metal 2 to get COMPLETELY REMADE. Crash team racing did so this is very possible. Come on please.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point I will take anything that Sony gives me even a barebones online only Title with no story mode because I really want a Twisted Metal title on PS4/PS5 with a functional Online Mode. Name it Twisted Metal Arena or something like that and have a bunch of maps, characters (not factions on a different car this time), and Sony can sell cosmetic car customization as DLC if they want to make money that way. Later on if they feel like they received enough return on their investment than they can start spending money to add a story mode to the game and it doesn't have to be expensive I would be satisfied with Comic style images that they used for the story endings they had in Twisted Metal Head On.

I had so much fun with Twisted Metal on PS3 when it actually worked and I think it was alot of wasted potential.

I still remember my favorite trailer for the game:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Needs to be open world with characters entering/exiting the vehicle, you can customize your car with crafting and modding, and a BR mode

there you go Sony instant AAA game

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I think the basic concept around the franchise is pretty evergreen, but it is really anyone's guess if we ever see another one.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should be a battle royale with cars falling out of a plane

image.gif

The game's already about picking up a bunch of limited weapons in an enclosed arena and killing off your competition until you're the last one standing.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think a new Twisted Metal could be good but do it without Jaffe for multiple reasons.
Black is the best one so I think he would be the best to handle it. The ps3 one was good too but it was too different. Black 2 would have been amazing.

I agree though. Let it die unless we get a remake (not remaster) of TM2 or Black. That's it.

Feb 8, 2018
Any car combat game, really. Personally, I'm waiting for Vigilante 8 to resurface. Sigh. Maybe someday...

The recent Dreamcast anniversary made me think of V8. Anything that is called Vigilante 8 or Twisted metal will re-appear in the indie dev space if you're lucky. The TM PS3 trailer and gameplay reveal 10 years or so ago looked good for its time. I've never got to play the finished game but remember getting into few matches of the Demo which did run pretty smooth.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It would make a very unique Battle Royale I think. Would be something a bit different.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think sony is above dipping their toes into the f2p/BR pond. and Twisted Metal is a perfect avenue for that, so it's hard not to discount that possibility

hopefully the next one is an honest to god "game". either way i don't think it's dead but i surely wouldn't hold my breath on whenever it comes back