• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where should Naughty Dog go with a potential TLOU Part III

• Ellie Redemption Arc

Votes: 225 33.7%
  • Joel's Violent Past

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Abby and Lev Hijinks

Votes: 61 9.1%
  • Dina and JJ Parenting Simulator

Votes: 12 1.8%
  • New characters in the same universe.

Votes: 72 10.8%
  • Time for Savage Starlight

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • New Naughty Dog IP

Votes: 233 34.9%

• Total voters

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I would love to see a Part 3 starring Ellie. Unfortunately I have no idea how that looks, and I really think they did a good job with Joel and Ellies relationship in Part 2. So I'm not sure they can tap into that again.

Perhaps a couple of new characters in the same universe, who happen to run into Ellie on their adventure. Craziness ensues, and we get to play as Ellie for a significant portion of the game. Basically, more Ellie please.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Feels very similar to posts I read in 2013. No one would have accurately predicted the sequel in any meaningful way and doing so now seems like it'd be similarly futile.

I've also read posts back in 2013 back on NeoGAF that more or less talked about how a sequel game would be developed. So, there were a variety of opinions on the matter back 7 years ago. I felt that a sequel was more than likely, but the ambiguity of the original TLOU was great enough to conclude the story of Ellie and Joel.

Part 2 is extremely open ended but having that be a conclusion could still work. You're obviously completely correct if you personally were satisfied by the ending or that the series should end.

Of course TLOU2 could have another story. Hell, comics have continued narratives with dead characters for reasons that made little to no sense. To say nothing of how TLOU2 could continue a potential story. I wrote a comment on that saying that a continuation with Abby and Lev's story would be the best and most natural continuation, but opinions will differ.

Which I disagree with strongly. Not taking risks narratively or mechanically stifles creative people and is just about the worst reason to not make a sequel.

I'd argue that creating a new setting with new characters, motivations and adventures is just as risky narratively and mechanically. To strike lightning in a bottle twice can come from multiple forms.

Do you think your subjective opinion is so infallible that for someone to disagree they have to have an agenda? Bizarre.

No, but I also don't think you made a good impression by more or less responding to my initial comment by the suggestion of "awful sentiment" or "yuck." I more question whether you think your subjective opinion is the only one with merit. I would never make such a claim with any opinion of mine.

Don't know where you're getting that from, my sentiment is studio/franchise agnostic. I don't care about your personal feelings on the game for this discussion, I care about the points you made for why a 3rd game shouldn't happen. My opinion on that can be universally applied to any franchise or studio now or in the future. Chase creative inspiration, don't stay away because you might step on some toes.

I'm more referring to your suggesting that my comment on the reception was based on critical acclaim or sales. It wasn't, but you'd be obtuse to suggest that the game didn't have a strong response from the fanbase. For better or for worse. Studios should always chase inspiration, but not being mindful of how your audience took your prior products usually doesn't make for successful future ventures. Regardless, if a third TLOU game had to continue I would find a new cast and setting more compelling.

Conversely, if you don't want your comment replied to...don't make it? The only one being defensive here is you. One of the points of this forum is to discuss and exchange opinions. Your comment would make more sense if I attacked you instead of your post which is something I don't do.

Or I could just state my opinion of a forum? I never understood the sentiment of "well, you don't have to purchase or like something" since that sentiment usually is nothing more than a rather weak dismissal of any criticism. I'm not exactly sure if that was your objective, but that statement is applied to video games, social and political discussions aplenty in general. Hence, I took that particular comment as being a bit condescending. My bad if that wasn't the case.

You'll notice that I have not and would not argue with someone that thinks they shouldn't do a sequel because that's subjective and valid. I will disagree on the logic they use to get to that conclusion, which is what I did with you.

As is your right.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
It doesn't need a sequel.

Part 1 never needed a sequel, it was perfectly told and yet they did a sequel anyway.

Part 2 definitely doesn't need a sequel, but I'm guessing they will try anyway.

If they continue it will end up like The Walking Dead. The best thing that can come out of that is a potential Negan-like arc, but I don't want to play 2 average to bad sequels until we get there.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a very frustrating thing about the Last of Us and how small they make the world for the conveniences for the plot. I'm sure there are other doctors out there. Hell we're forgetting there are still cities in the East Coast.
It kinda makes sense in my head that there wouldnt be that many doctors/surgeons left, as I would imagine during the outbreak hospitals would be the worst place to be.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda makes sense in my head that there wouldnt be that many doctors/surgeons left, as I would imagine during the outbreak hospitals would be the worst place to be.
Yea, we even see that in the seattle ground zero hopsital. Top of the line doctors that could actually perform that surgery even being around anywhere is super unlikely.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's time to move on from The Last of Us and Uncharted so they can come up with some new and fresh gameplay.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I didn't want a Last of Us 2 and disagreed with a lot of the narrative choices that were made in that game, but their will undoubtedly be a Last of Us 3 now. I think it will be the inverse of Last of Us 2 and take place almost immediately after the second game.

They'll hide Ellie from all marketing and promotional materials. In the first half, you will play as Abby and Lev in a very similar context to Joel and Ellie in the first game. After a decent chunk of gameplay of them trying to get somewhere new to start a new life, they'll run into Ellie and it will be a big "surprise." I personally think that Last of Us 3 will be a bittersweet story of hope. I still think there'll be a lot of very, very dark themes that don't really fit the story, because Neil Druckmann can't help himself from "shock for shock's sake."

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please no. Let the franchise die.
And if it happens some day, please don't let Druckmann to direct again.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Why you gotta hurt me like this.
The absolute last thing I want from this property would for all of the difficult and challenging themes to be thrown out in favor of a simpler trajectory for the narrative.

If we are doomed into a trilogy I would love for it to be extremely experimental and nontraditional and willing to change the status quo for the sake of the narrative. It would be a disservice to these last two entries if they went an easier or more palatable route.

This doesn't mean I want it to embrace some misguided grimdarkness and leave everyone dead, or that I want Ellie to not be a part of the game. I just would hate to see her very complex and nuanced narrative turn into a standard three act structure where everything else gets brushed aside for the sake of fandom being happy about where she ends up.

The best and most impactful stories are often the messiest and most difficult to process. I crave more of that. That is partially why I love where 2 ended, and why I think it's a perfect stopping point.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
If we get a Part III, I don't want it for a long time. I want a new NaughtyDog IP or Jak 4.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I want a Last of Us 3 more than any other game right now, but I don't really want to speculate on what it would be about. I definitely want to see Ellie, Abby, Lev and the rest again, though, even if they aren't the leads. A totally clean break would be a big disappointment and a waste of the wonderful characters they've established.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I was one who felt we didn't need Part II. And then I played it and it exceeded my expectations in wholly unexpected ways.

Part II feels like a middle story in a three part saga. I would prefer if Ellie moved on to a new location, and we meet new characters who act as foils to her, not unlike the way Abby was to Ellie in Part II.

I'd prefer if we not see Abby, Lev, or the Fireflies again and that Ellie encountered a whole new situation. However, given that the Fireflies are in the second game, I guess their return in Part III might be inevitable.

I just hope they don't go with the "cure for mankind" angle though. It would be a huge disappointment simply because it's such a cliche (the fact that Joel saved Ellie in Part I was a wonderful way to sidestep the payoff of that cliche).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

They are working on Factions, so the franchise won't die.

And why I would want to play a game without the creator? Like "I don't like that X died, let's replace George Martin"

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I don't give a fuck what it is...............Naughty Dog changed the game for story telling for the first time since....what MGS2?

I'm all in on whatever they do with that universe because it will not be halfway thought out. Neil is too good to just throw in a random ass story or redemption arc unless there is some serious hidden themes and shit.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's plenty left to say about Ellie. Part 1 was her somewhat coming of age while finding a family, though perhaps that was bent more to fulfilling Joel's need more than hers. Part 2 was about dealing with trauma and being lost, and finding how to come to terms with those things. So I can see Part 3 being about discovery, what purpose someone can have for themselves and those around them, and connecting with the world after coming from rock bottom.

The issue is how much of that can serve Ellie's character that doesn't retread too much of what has already been covered. Connecting was a major element of Abby's story, so perhaps it'll need to be more at a macro-level of a full community or faction rather than an individual or two. I'm not sure if redemption is a necessary element, even if there are reasons maybe Ellie would seek a route when it comes to how she left Dina the way she did.

I also strongly feel that this hypothetical third part should be the definitive end to Ellie's story. Hopefully she makes it and has some happiness as it would be nice to not have every gay character mired in tragedy perpetually, but it should thematically wrap up her role even then.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Abby hunting Ellie would defeat the purpose of Part II imo, they shouldn't ever meet again.

The purpose of Part 2 is to show Ellie's inability to live in the present and forgive the people closest to her for valuing her even when she can't value herself. That's the tragedy of what happens in the game. An Ellie in Part 3 who has learned that lesson, and found value in her present self, being tracked down and confronted by the only thing she previously considered valuable about herself (her potential use as a vaccine), particularly by the person she had misplaced all her guilt and anger on after her greatest loss, introduces a conflict that could potentially split both characters to the core. It is by far the most interesting thing to do with them going forward, even moreso if the player primarily plays as Lev, the character who actually managed to break the cycle both Abbie and Ellie were caught in by speaking up at a key moment. There's tons to do with all of that.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are working on Factions, so the franchise won't die.

And why I would want to play a game without the creator? Like "I don't like that X died, let's replace George Martin"
For me Druckmann did a great job with TLOU, but the sequel is a complete mess in almost every aspect.
I don't see the problem of asking for a new director. Take Star Wars for example and how Lucas started with a great job and then... Or some Miyamoto works... You know the story. It happens.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I would be fine with a new cast for TLOU3 but a premise like this would work for me if ND brought back Ellie:

Abby & Lev find the Fireflies and find out about a FEDRA surgeon who has been trying to create a vaccine just like Abby's dad did and is willing to defect from the government. So, them and a group of Fireflies set out for Jackson and ask Ellie to come with them to get the surgeon and create the vaccine. The game would cover Abby & Ellie's journey as they go to the surgeon's location with a rescue plan.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The purpose of Part 2 is to show Ellie's inability to live in the present and forgive the people closest to her for valuing her even when she can't value herself. That's the tragedy of what happens in the game. An Ellie in Part 3 who has learned that lesson, and found value in her present self, being tracked down and confronted by the only thing she previously considered valuable about herself (her potential use as a vaccine), particularly by the person she had misplaced all her guilt and anger on after her greatest loss, introduces a conflict that could potentially split both characters to the core. It is by far the most interesting thing to do with them going forward, even moreso if the player primarily plays as Lev, the character who actually managed to break the cycle both Abbie and Ellie were caught in by speaking up at a key moment. There's tons to do with all of that.
Why would Abby pursue Ellie though? If she did, it'd be a complete betrayal of her growth and change in Part II.

Sep 28, 2019
Real life often does not have a happy ending and I'm quite glad that this game didn't shy away from it either. Better for the series or at least Ellie's story to end here very open to interpretation.

I do think Naughty Dog should finally make a new IP, how insane would it be if they made a space opera?!

Also call me crazy but I don't think the last of us gameplay mechanics will age gracefully.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
If they do Part III, I would like them to focus more on the pandemic issue. how will they find a cure. what is Ellie's role in that journey. and finally make a happy ending when they finally found the cure/vaccine to end the pandemic. These series are already too dark story wise. So, I'll be happy to see a bright future for all of these characters.
Oh, and try to make location setting outside America. Post apocalyptic Asia or Europe will be nice.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Eh, after letting that ending stew I'm fine with the story ending there. Move in to bigger and better things if possible. Whatever ND decides to do though, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Let Ellie rest with Dina and JJ, man

A cure wouldn't change shit in that world. "Humans are the real threat" and all that.

To prove my point: if you remove the infected from the game, Part 2 story would have played the same

Neuromancer

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
After TLOU2 I think I'm done with the series. I found it a deeply unpleasant game in every way. I don't think Savage Starlight makes any sense for a game, being a comic series in the TLOU world, so I vote for new IP.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather it be set in the future and
JJ is grown up, Ellie and Dina reconciled and JJ goes on an adventure to rescue Ellie because someone has kidnapped her to make a cure. But then JJ (the player) have to accept Ellie giving up her life for a cure, what Joel couldn't do
This is good.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Druckmann is absolutely directing it, lol. The series is his baby.
For me Druckmann did a great job with TLOU, but the sequel is a complete mess in almost every aspect.
I don't see the problem of asking for a new director. Take Star Wars for example and how Lucas started with a great job and then... Or some Miyamoto works... You know the story. It happens.
TLOU2 is critically praised. 93 on metacritic. Going to win a bunch of awards. Breaking sales records. Loved by the huge majority. Why would Druckmann be replaced? Because a small minority didn't like it?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Zero desire to see a part three if it includes Ellie as a main character.

I legit hate to say this as lesbian woman, but damn I couldn't stand the majority of my time playing as Ellie and will never understand how anyone can.

Now if it's Abby and Lev, I'm all in.

It honestly surprises me that people end the game feeling like they don't want another game about Ellie but would be all in for a game about Abby. The story in Part II is the same arc but at two different points. We see Abby after she's completed the act of her obsession. We see glimpses of her before that showing that she really isn't any different from how Ellie is, but a majority of her story is her trying to find herself after having done what she thought would fix her. Ellie's arc is the beginning of that. Where she's just blinded by rage and just can't have any sort of a normal life until it reaches its conclusion.

At the end of the day, The Last of Us is Ellie's story. Every single piece of media is about her. From American Dreams to Part II.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd love to see a part III begin with Ellie re-connecting with Abbey and Lev, a couple years after part II ended. With the intention of seeking out the Fireflies to giving up her own life for a cure. She dies and is harvested for a cure, but it simply doesn't end the way Ellie, Abbey and Lev anticipated, leading to horrific power struggles between the remaining surviving human factions over this invaluable vaccine.

I'd love the game to occur from the perspective of Abbey and Lev predominantly, since by the end of part II, I learned to appreciate and empathize those two characters even more than Ellie.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel more strongly about a sequel to Part 2 than I did about Part 1. There are enough plot threads left hanging for them to pick up.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how feel about how Dina and Ellie's relationship ended. Abby's segments were my favorite parts of the game and I want to see more of that character.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just to piss people off I'd hope for an Abby game about looking for Fireflies.

Even though I'd rather have more Ellie.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
JJ is grown up, Ellie and Dina reconciled and JJ goes on an adventure to rescue Ellie because someone has kidnapped her to make a cure. But then JJ (the player) have to accept Ellie giving up her life for a cure, what Joel couldn't do
I like this Except I would prefer
JJ never meets Ellie, hears rumours she is alive and goes to find her.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Adult Ellie looking for Redemption.

I'm also in the no more TLOU games camp...again so honestly I can take it or leave it, its up to ND. I think Part II had a better closure than Part 1 (still the better ending in general), so if they want to move on, then I'm a-OK with the decision.

Hey what the hell I like this.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If there is a 3, I think the most logical choice is for Ellie to sacrifice herself for a cure.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see other people also would rather want a brand new IP. They should move with a new series.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see other people also would rather want a brand new IP. They should move with a new series.

It's not like there's any chance their next game would be Part III anyway. Aside from the fact that Neil is working on the HBO show now, it's just highly unlikely that they'd move from Part II into immediately full production of Part III. There's absolutely going to be a game in between them aside from Factions.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like there's any chance their next game would be Part III anyway. Aside from the fact that Neil is working on the HBO show now, it's just highly unlikely that they'd move from Part II into immediately full production of Part III. There's absolutely going to be a game in between them aside from Factions.

Which is good by me. I'm fine with that. I just know its gonna be a while before we get another game.