• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
It goes without saying that this is a very sad and worrying time. Many people are trapped at home with no escape besides whatever entertainment at hand. It seems that this is the time for games to truly shine and provide people with an outlet. We are looking at a fantastic lineup as well:

Destiny 2: Seasons of the Worthy
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Nioh 2
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Half-Life: Alyx
Persona 5 Royal
Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Fallout 76 Wastelanders

Do you think this time period go down as having a special status in gaming history? How are games helping you get through this tough situation?

Last edited:

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's a really great month in terms of games that help you escape reality. It won't be remembered individually, though. It's all about the years.

Sliding a new Destiny Battle Pass season in there is pretty funny.

OP
OP
Lentic

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll attain a special status in history in general.
Do doubt. I'm just wondering if it will go up there with years like '98 or '07, which are revered in gaming history.
There is nothing "special" in this list.
Doom Eternal? A new Half-Life game? It's not only that, but the fact that a lot of people are looking for stuff to play at the moment. It makes sense that these games might go on to hold a special meaning to a lot of folks.
It's a really great month in terms of games that help you escape reality. It won't be remembered individually, though. It's all about the years.

A lot of people will be looking for ways to connect with their friends and socialize, so I could see multiplayer games playing an important role.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. What stands out most to me is that none of those are original games, funny enough. Just sequels, remakes and expansions (to sequels).

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
1581634720_515_Eye-For-An-Eye-Jeff-Cobb-Debuts.gif

Oct 26, 2017
You asked what was special about this list, I gave you an example.

That you dislike FF7 is irrelevant.

I don't dislike FF7 since it's one of my favourite games ever.

I dislike the fact of slicing the game in several pieces and adding content so Square Enix can milk a beloved game for the next decade or so.

Your example is not special for me.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Eh, to be honest, a new full-featured Animal Crossing and full-featured Doom game releasing on the same day is certainly noteworthy and genuinely one of the biggest days I've experienced in my own personal gaming life, but it does feel like there are bigger things happening in the world to kind of mitigate the sole memory of just that one day (and the reasoning for my excitement of it) for me going forward.

I've played a fuck ton of great games that happened to release in close proximity in my life.

I've not yet lived through a State of Emergency brought on by a pandemic.

The turn of this decade is forever going to point back to COVID-19 for me.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think some stuff work against this claim:
  • Some of the biggest games of the year arent even releasing in this period
  • A lot of improvements could be done to the list itself for it to be memorable by the general community, for example, RE3 is not as beloved as RE2 or RE4, FF7R is only one part of the FF7 remake, Half Life Alyx would only be played by a fraction of its fanbase (I am happy that they are doing this, but it will hurt how much will alyx be remembered I think. Just to clarify I am not trying to downplay those games, just saying that I believe they wont be as memorable or impactful for these reasons.
  • Unfortunate circumstances, but coronavirus does dampen on the excitement for the titles, then again the fact many will stay at home could lead to helping those games sell.

Oct 26, 2017
I think some stuff work against this claim:
  • Some of the biggest games of the year arent even releasing in this period
  • A lot of improvements could be done to the list itself for it to be memorable by the general community, for example, RE3 is not as beloved as RE2 or RE4, FF7R is only one part of the FF7 remake, Half Life Alyx would only be played by a fraction of its fanbase (I am happy that they are doing this, but it will hurt how much will alyx be remembered I think. Just to clarify I am not trying to downplay those games, just saying that I believe they wont be as memorable or impactful for these reasons.
  • Unfortunate circumstances, but coronavirus does dampen on the excitement for the titles, then again the fact many will stay at home could lead to helping those games sell.

Exactly

If anything this month will be remembered for the COVID spread more than a lot of games releasing this month even by the gaming industry.

OP
OP
Lentic

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly

If anything this month will be remembered for the COVID spread more than a lot of games releasing this month even by the gaming industry.
This is a good point. It's more likely that this month will be remembered for the impact it had on the gaming industry as a whole (cancellation of E3, possible delays, impact on marketing, etc.)

I do think that the games released during this period will be looked back on fondly though, simply because of the amount of people looking to kill time and release stress.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
It will, but mostly because school kids are stuck at home playing battle royale games. In 10 years we will have threads about how new games arent as good as CoD Warzone and Fortnite.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The Waypoint folks discussed something similar on the latest Waypoint Radio. I don't think this period of time will go down as anything nearly as revolutionary as November '04 for example, but I can definitely see people having an increased fondness for the games that have/are coming out now.

Personally though, I was always gonna love Ori and the Will of the Wisps, outside of a disaster.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have to include a season pass to make this point then the answer is no. And some Fallout 76 shit? Bruh.

And I have no idea why you're shoving RE3 and FF7R in there, those are April games.

Oct 28, 2017
My not-so-hot takes on your list.

Destiny 2: Seasons of the Worthy - (Fell off Destiny and no interest in going back right now)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Finished (9/10))
Nioh 2 (Waiting for PC version but finished original Nioh close to 3 times - excited for 2)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Might get to play with GF if reviews are stellar)
Doom Eternal (Most excited for this one!!!)
Half-Life: Alyx (Pre-ordered and excited to jump back into VR after a long break from it)
Persona 5 Royal (Got 60+ hours into Persona 5 and lost interest to keep playing. Probably won't bother with this)
Resident Evil 3 (Day 1)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Day 1)
Fallout 76 Wastelanders (Tentatively interested - might go back to it when I've nothing else to play)

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
In 10 years I will much rather talk about how I had to stay at home and not see anyone than I would start by bringing up all the redundant video games I played.

BlacJack22

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 25, 2020
No? I havent played it but I assume it is just like most CoD games: competent and dull, with bad politics but insanely popular.

I only say that because no COD is still talked about really besides the one that started this new multiplayer era (MW). The rest just get lost in the crowd really. I haven't played it either but it isn't something novel or game changing like Fortnite, that will undoubtedly be talked about 10 years from now.

In 10 years we will most likely just be talking about the newest COD.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I only say that because no COD is still talked about really besides the one that started this new multiplayer era (MW). The rest just get lost in the crowd really. I haven't played it either but it isn't something novel or game changing like Fortnite, that will undoubtedly be talked about 10 years from now.

In 10 years we will most likely just be talking about the newest COD.
Good point, but whatever game people are playing now will be remembered because of the circumstances of social distancing.