• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the PS5 Price/Preorders Start This Month?

• Price & Preorders

Votes: 94 18.5%
  • Price only

Votes: 53 10.5%
  • They'll happen later

Votes: 360 71.0%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
jim-ryan-ces-2020.jpg

Was just looking up the preorders/price for last-gen & saw that both Xbox One & PS4 started that week of E3.
Of course during 2013 the reveal of both consoles was a lot different than where we are now (We had already seen what both looked like for one).
While many of us assume the price hasn't been shown because of a back & forth between MS/Sony, it could very well be Sony just wanting to wait for their show. After-all it's been said a few times that as of right now, the ship for this show is very tight in-terms of what we'll see. So there could be more in store than just game reveals.

So what do you think, will we see the price/preorder this month? Or will things not happen until later (like august) as more potential details are worked out across the board?I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later myself, wanna lock-in how i'll be playing that "Rumored" Demon's Souls Remaster.
0c1.gif

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't one of the journalists when they leaked the date say to not expect price? I think it was Jason?

Anyway as to answer the thread question, no there will not be pre-orders because there will not be a price announced.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I guess they will, the launch is supposedly only a few months away.

Be prepared for scalpers lol, I think it's gonna be crazy.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I can see a preorder with a placeholder. But Sony and MS are going to play the waiting hand until one can't no more.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
My gut says no but honestly every part of this gen's lead up has been non-traditional and unpredictable so who knows hahaha.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Ordinarily I expect they would around now, but everything is so spaced out and dragged out over the summer this cycle, that it's impossible to say. Would Sony want to announce their price, and give Microsoft upwards of a month to strategize in response?

At the same time, they can't both stall forever.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do some people think they'll reveal the price but not pre-orders? That would be totally bizarre.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It would be nice to be able to get that all done this week but I don't expect it.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Yes, If the price is 399...
I really doubt that's the price for a PS5. Gamestop here is doing a promotion: if you purchase a PS4 Pro you can pre-order a PS5 by adding 150€. If you trade your Ps4 Pro (the same you bought) they will give you 250€ for it. So it's 400€, I bet the final price will be 500 or 600€.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No, very unlikely. I am pretty sure they will be trying to extend it as far as possible, trying to do it post Xbox price announcement.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can pre order. Price does not matter to me I just want to be able to lock it in

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
Hope for a preorder even if its with a placeholder price. I remember that in Australia the ps4 went up for preorder well before the price and had like a $999 placeholder price. Thats what I want again.

Edit: looks like eb put ps4 preorders up the end of Feb 2013.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to Grubb there's a State of Play planned for August. I think price and preorders will start there.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm not even sure they'll show the box.

I hope not because I want 1 hour+ of trailers.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Honestly the whole pandemic didn't throw everything off, they probably would have announced the price around now.

But now they'll probably wait for whatever they would have planned for Gamescom or TGS.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think that Sony is confident enough to go ahead and dictate the tempo with price this month, but preorders will be later.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna say we aren't even gonna see the console design or the price, this event is all about the games, and maybe a few system features.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I've preordered mine already from a local store. The had a placeholder price but allowed preorders already so figured why not!

However, no I don't think we'll get an official price before the end of the summer.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm expecting preorders to go up not long after the reveal. I'll do my best to be ready so I don't miss out.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I would like for preorders to go up on Thursday but I don't think they will. I don't think they'll give a price. I do want to just lock it in and get it over with. The PS4 launch was as smooth as it could have been because I got a preorder right after the E3 announcement.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. MS and Sony likely to play chicken for as long as they can. But I'd be happy if they do mention the price. Can start budgeting/planning/cajoling.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I hope so, but I think not. But I also think Sony is in a position to be able to give no single fuck about what the competition does. Especially when they have the games to back their shit up with. If they can do 499 they should totally announce it tomorrow with pre-orders immediately opening. Everyone will be caught off-guard and they will sell out within a week.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Things are still so bonkers right now (economy wise), even if they were ready to pull the trigger, they probably wouldn't. I think August is safe bet, especially if they want to have an idea of how many PS5's they might have available for Fall.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
i think the price and pre-order will happen in the SOP of august.

Definitely not SOP - the PS4 and XB1 were both pre-orderable during E3 the year of their release. I ordered both same week in June according to my Amazon history. I would have expected my orders to be in by now for both. :(

Having said that, Switch went up for pre-order in Jan for April, XB1X August for Nov.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Definitely not SOP - the PS4 and XB1 were both pre-orderable during E3 the year of their release. I ordered both same week in June according to my Amazon history. I would have expected my orders to be in by now for both. :(

Having said that, Switch went up for pre-order in Jan for April, XB1X August for Nov.
I don't have any background on this since I buy the PS4 pro and my previous console was PS2. The console was pre-orderable in e3 period with the final price revealed ?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No.

Tomorrow is announced as a showcase of game titles, that's what I expect we will get.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If $399 they will drop that bombshell this month. If higher they will wait for MS to go first and undercut the XSX, they will play the long game.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
with a launch window of late October- late November, Sony AND MS should reveal price and open preorders by July/ August at the latest. However, I think tomorrow will be all about games and the first look at the console design and then at another event few weeks after (mid July is my guess), Sony will focus on hardware, OS features and price including preorders.