• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will both games be improved for the PS5?

• No. We get nothing except that the games are playable!

Votes: 52 6.2%
  • Yes. We get a more stable 30fps frame rate.

Votes: 66 7.9%
  • Yes. We get a 60 fps frame rate.

Votes: 145 17.4%
  • Yes. We get some minor visual improvements and / or 30 (or) 60fps

Votes: 393 47.1%
  • Yes. We get substantial visual improvements and / or 30 (or) 60fps

Votes: 179 21.4%

• Total voters

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Alright Era. I am sure I am not alone here by postponing to play both of the last 2 great PS4 Sony exclusives, in order to play them on the PS5.

But the question is: can we expect anything more than just being able to play those games on our next generation console?

Personally I certainly hope so but not fully convinced that this will happen. From a business point of view it would be an extremely strong statement in terms of launch games for the general audience if both of these amazing games would get a "definitive version" for PS5. But again not sure if this will happen.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play your PS4 games with better graphics and performance sounds like an easy bullet point so yeah I believe they will.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost impossible that they don't get a PS5 patch or that they aren't already in the boost mode profile of the PS5 BC modes

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
If they already accounted for Ps5 re-releases during development I could see significant improvements.
If not, we will probably still see resolution/framerate increases + the usual added bells and whistles we know from PC releases.

It'll be like the first TLOU remaster. Looking a bit nicer with a 60fps option.

Iirc the used all the cutscene models ingame in the Remaster. If they manage the same thing in TLoU2 it would be pretty awesome.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I hope, TLOU 2 will get a graphical upgrade on PS5 and solid 60 FPS, but I fear, we won`t get anything except "playable", until Sony releases a newly priced PS5-remaster in 2022 or so.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They said this a while back
We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
blog.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Now they have yet to show it officially during an event I guess and announce some free upgrades which bring more improvements (better textures, etc...) if they have planned some free upgrades of couse

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Since both can't even hold 30fps properly in resolution modes on Pro they will be better even if nothing is done.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
If they already accounted for Ps5 re-releases during development I could see significant improvements.
If not, we will probably still see resolution/framerate increases + the usual added bells and whistles we know from PC releases.

Iirc the used all the cutscene models ingame in the Remaster. If they manage the same thing in TLoU2 it would be pretty awesome.
Oh, I never even realized that. That would be pretty awesome indeed!

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I'm with you OP - still waiting on the PS5 to get these games, but the wait, especially for GoT, is killing me.. It looks so good

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games were a massive undertaking for Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog. I especially get the "labor of love" vibe from Ghost of Tsushima (with TLOU2 it's more like an "art through adversity/perfectionism" vibe).

No way are either of these companies going to pass up the opportunity to see their work attain the highest possible level of quality to meet their vision.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Yes, we'll get 60fps but also native 4K on top of improved visuals, for both TLoU2 and GoT.

Graphics, assets and animation that had to be cut from the retail PS4 versions will be restore in the PS5 versions.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does anybody know if our savegames will work on ps5? im halfway through spiderman and god of war but want to continue it on ps5
The way it worked on the Vita is that you just transfer the saves and they work fine. (PSP and PS1 games on the Vita)

I imagine it will work similiarly but this time you just download them through PS Plus if you want or using USB.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima has a Performance mode (which runs at 30fps) despite running at a locked 30 in Resolution mode on Pro. I can only assume that was in part groundwork for a PS5 upgrade?

Sony haven't talked at all about upgrades for PS4 games though, except that games with dynamic resolution/unlocked framerate will be able to max out. I hope that'll be the case though, with some games getting Pro-patch like updates for PS5.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll be happy with at least PS5 being backwards compatible with PS4 games even without enhancements. Well maybe filtering and LOD enhancements.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Yes they will. They both run on ancient hardware and still manage to perform decently. On PS5 they will probably double their framerate and some more.

Having said that, they both run at a steady 30fps at 1080 on Pro, which is how I am playing them.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Well, they will be sharper and run smoother. Maybe less buggy.

But they won't change fundamentally I guess. If you hate it on PS4, you'll hate it on PS5, and vice versa.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
does anybody know if our savegames will work on ps5? im halfway through spiderman and god of war but want to continue it on ps5
If it's running in backwards compatible mode, we have no reason to believe our saves won't work. If these get ps5 upgrades then it's anybody's guess.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Keeping the frame rate 99% of the time is « holding » it. It's solid enough

anyway. I hope for the same treatment as tlou remastered

1800/2160p60

99% is an exaggeration, especially Ghosts which is why it has a 1080p 30fps mode. There's common drops to 27-28fps during combat and in TLOU 2 the same thing happens when you use molotovs on groups and anytime you're around water. To me that's not holding it but good enough to play with room for improvement.

Yes they will. They both run on ancient hardware and still manage to perform decently. On PS5 they will probably double their framerate and some more.

Having said that, they both run at a steady 30fps at 1080 on Pro, which is how I am playing them.

Is there a way to force TLOU 2 to play at 1080p on the Pro?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll be better, but it already looks incredible and runs insanely smooth. GoT load times are downright minimal. So, yeah honestly outside of a higher res and it running at 60 I don't see a need for that much tweaking and improvement

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
99% is an exaggeration, especially Ghosts which is why it has a 1080p 30fps mode. There's common drops to 27-28fps during combat and in TLOU 2 the same thing happens when you use molotovs on groups and anytime you're around water. To me that's not holding it but good enough to play with room for improvement.

Is there a way to force TLOU 2 to play at 1080p on the Pro?

Yes of course, unless I am mistaken? Set the console to 1080, disable downsampling, enjoy rock-steady 30?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What about FFVIIR. It needs an enhancement patch too. As well as many other Sony first party games.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
"Where existing higher quality assets are available - for example, cut-scene character models - they are utilised (Update 29/7/14 12:34: we're now pretty convinced that the cut-scene models aren't used during gameplay after all), but there's little evidence to suggest that Naughty Dog has upgraded any of the environments, or boosted geometry"

www.eurogamer.net

Digital Foundry vs The Last of Us Remastered

Mystery has surrounded Naughty Dog's PlayStation 4 remaster of its survival horror classic, The Last of Us. Announced b…

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Sony would be daft not to fund PS5 patches for these games. They are both brilliant and honestly will help them at launch with what is likely to be a small offering. I would easily play TLoU2 on PS5 and definitely mess around in Tsushima.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Both games were a massive undertaking for Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog. I especially get the "labor of love" vibe from Ghost of Tsushima (with TLOU2 it's more like an "art through adversity/perfectionism" vibe).

No way are either of these companies going to pass up the opportunity to see their work attain the highest possible level of quality to meet their vision.

I agree and they're gonna sell you this perfection for a measly 40 USD in the brand new but not really GOT freaking G HD uber Remaster now exclusively for PS5!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
They'll be patched for PS5 for sure and will likely get some improvements, mostly in res/fps, possibly in things which are easy to improve (LODs and such). But it won't be a big change visually.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Neither game really has any glaring technical issues so if they were going to do a patch, I think it'd be something like pushing the framerate to 60 (like TLOU Remastered) or maybe getting rid of the load times.

If there's a patch to totally overhaul the visuals I think that'd come later than PS5 launch.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They said this a while back

blog.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Now they have yet to show it officially during an event I guess and announce some free upgrades which bring more improvements (better textures, etc...) if they have planned some free upgrades of couse
I don't think BC on PS5 will deliver enhancements beyond the devs intent. We haven't heard about better textures, 2x framerate, ... from Sony. What they say on the blog is you get less framerate dips and if the game utilize dynamic resolution the average will be higher on PS5. That's very basic stuff and no big enhancement.
Yes, we'll get 60fps but also native 4K on top of improved visuals, for both TLoU2 and GoT.
With a patch made by the developers. Their BC solution doesn't allow them to double the framerate as far as we know. If a game like TLOU2 is capped at 30, then it will be capped at 30 in BC.
Ghost of Tsushima has a Performance mode (which runs at 30fps) despite running at a locked 30 in Resolution mode on Pro. I can only assume that was in part groundwork for a PS5 upgrade?
Good catch. I think this mode exist to allow the PS5 BC to push the framerate to 60FPS, which otherwise wouldn't be possible. Unlike Xbox Sony doesn't have a solution announced to increase framerate beyond the games cap without a patch.
Not without a patch.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they put out upgrade patches for both!

The games as they are now are capped resolution and framerate so wouldn't get any 'free' upgrades playing them on PS5. They'd play as they would on a Pro.