• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Tales of Arise be your first 'Tales of' game?

• Yes, it will be!

Votes: 145 16.0%
  • No, I have played a game before!

Votes: 399 44.0%
  • No, I am a huge series fan and have played many games!

Votes: 363 40.0%

• Total voters

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
EzgiQ9zVIAcAdTu.jpg:large

As a long time fan of the franchise (got into it playing ToP of the GBA and played almost every mothership game and spinoff since), I am very excited for the next evolution of this franchise AND to see so many people talking about it! So, I was wondering, is this going to be your first time playing this historic series, or are you a series veteran?

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It will probably be my first. The visuals and many of the character designs have caught my eye

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I played Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia but nothing else

I own a copy of Tales of the Abyss (3DS) but still sealed

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Not my first. I havent played all of them, but have played a good many.

very excited toplay Arise, and while I always liked the artstyle, I dig the shift in aesthetic.

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
I played a bit of Berseria but after 10-20 hours or so I didnt understand the combat system yet, the story was good so far

May 15, 2019
I've watched LPs of a couple but never played one myself. The art style in this one is a lot more appealing, so I'm hoping the story telling can match.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I've played through Symphonia at least 4 times and Phantasia on the GBA once. None of the others have really grabbed me when I tried to play them, but I'm looking forward to Arise....hopefully it's a good one.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried a bunch of them but don't remember any entry holding my attention long enough to finish it.

Will give Arise a shot.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
I rented both GBA Phantasia and Symphonia as a kid but never got very far and was disappointed they weren't turn-based. I remember briefly trying the Vesperia demo when that was new as well. Now that I'm older I've gotten more of a taste for action RPGs (still prefer turn-based though) and I bought the remaster of Vesperia day 1 on a whim. Fast forward a couple years and I've played most of the mothership games and I plan on buying Arise day 1. Still haven't dabbled in any of the pre-Symphonia games but I'll rectify that someday.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Touched one on GameCube for a couple hours back in the day (the one with the dude in the red jacket? The first one maybe?) but that's it. Have simply never had any interest in playing them until seeing Arise's art style and character designs.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are probably gonna say smyphonia or vesperia was their first game in the series. Mostly symphonia lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Been playing since Tales of Destiny was the first game I rented from Blockbuster to play on my new Playstation. I played Phantasia when it was just still a very WIP rom translation back in whatever year of the 90s that was, and have loved the series since.

I've been a little lukewarm on the last generation of them, but I did enjoy Berseria a lot more than the last couple before that, and Arise looks fucking fantastic.

I only played maybe 15 minutes of the demo and then stopped because I knew I wanted to just dig into the real thing.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not at all.

I've finished the following Tales games

-Tales of Phantasia (PS1)
-Tales of Symphonia (GCN)
-Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
-Tales of Legendia (PS2)
-Tales of Eternia (PSP)
-Tales of the World Radiant Mythology (PSP)
-Tales of the Tempest (DS)
-Tales of Innocence (DS)
-Tales of Graces F (PS3)

Currently playing Tales of Xillia on PS3 - about 25 hours in on Act 2.

I've played the following but did not finish

-Tales of Xillia (PS3) - currently playing
-Tales of Phantasia (SNES)

I have the following but havent played them yet

-Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
-Tales of Zestiria (PS4)
-Tales of Zestiria (PC)
-Tales of Berseria (PS4)
-Tales of Berseria (PC)
-Tales of Symphonia (PC)
-Tales of Vesperia (PS4)
-Tales of Vesperia (Switch)
-Tales of Vesperia (PC)

I'll get Arise in the future when its less than $20 just like how i got Berseria, Zestiria, and Vesperia for like $12 or less.

Will get it for Playstation and PC.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've only played Vesperia, Xillia, and Berseria before and just from the demo alone I think Arise will be my favorite one.

Nayenezgani

Jan 16, 2021
No, I've tried a few others but never finished any. Hopefully this one will hold my interest the entire time.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I've played several Tales games, but have never really been impressed by any of them. I'm actually still excited for Arise though, but I likely won't get it at full price due to no other game in the franchise I've played so far really doing it for me.

The Uber thing I did appreciate in Tales of the Abyss is how broken you could get. Doing literal billions in damage was hilarious.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
One thing that I've been thinking of that new players on PS4/PS5 should be aware: Bandai-Namco typically blocks the use of the share button for the ENTIRE game. Don't expect to be able to take screenshots or stream the game through PS4/PS5 without the use of external hardware.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This will be the first one I'm playing around launch after finally playing my first tales game through game pass, so I guess it's working as intended for at least one person.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
To date, I've played Tales of:
  • Destiny
  • Eternia
  • Symphonia
  • Legendia
  • The Abyss
  • Vesperia
  • Graces f
  • Xillia
  • Xillia 2
  • Zestiria
  • Berseria
I enjoyed the vast majority of them, though I did have some issues with some mechanics here and there, most especially having skills tied to equipment pieces in Tales of Zestiria. Did not enjoy that one bit.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played and beat Xillia and played two hours of Vesepria, I wasn't too impressed.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Played Symphonia and now i think about it I'm sure I've played Vesperia too lol, didn't finish that one though.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Finished Symphonia, Xillia, Abyss, Hearts R and I'm very close to the end of Vesperia at the minute. I'm picking up Arise on release but I doubt I'll play it for a good six months or so.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Started with Symphonia and have played pretty much every game in the series in some capacity, even ones that didn't get localized. Arise is daay one and will absolutely take up all of my time for at least 2 or 3 weeks lol.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty much looking for a new ARPG after finishing FF7 Remake so this is looks a good fit. First time playing Tales.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
My first Tales game was Symphonia for the Gamecube, which made me a fan of the series. I just love the constant convos in the form of skits. There are lots of games in this series i haven't played yet.

The ones i have played and liked are:
- Tales of Vesperia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Berseria

And the ones i didn't like:
Tales of Zestiria
Tales of Eternia
Tales of (i don't know the name but i know i stopped playing because of the constant shouting the characters did.)

I have played through the demo of Arise and liked it a lot. The english dub is pretty good so i'm going with that. I love the flashiness of the combat. Controlling Rinwell was fun and storing a spell to power up the next one was satisfying. This might be the first Tales game where i play as mage for a significant amount of time. Oddly it reminded me of controlling Aerith in FF7:R. Maybe it's because of the dodging that felt similar.

The only negative i have is that the maps felt too small. I hope there are much bigger ones. But i'm stoked and look forward to the get the game in my hands.

Oct 30, 2017
Tales has been one of my favorite franchises for so many long years.. brilliant series and I am so happy it's getting more recognition more and more.

Hopefully arise encourage the newcomers to go back and play older entries.

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
No, but it's the first I play since vesperia.

Not because of Arise being a upgrade over the usual tales stuff, I think it is looking at it.. but because it's back on xbox, it's all about that with me.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nope I've played Vesperia, about 30 hours of Xillia 1, and Berseria. Really looking forward to Arise though. Loved the demo.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I played about half of Berseria before, I think. Actually started again to finish before this hits. It's kind of a big mess design-wise, but its fun to mash the buttons and make the artes happen. And the party is genuinely pretty great!

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Symphonia was one of my favorite games of all time back when it came out. Played that game about 8 times over the years.

But the only others in the series I've played are Vesperia and Abyss, both years after their initial release.

Arise looks really good though, and I fully intend on picking it up later this year.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
No. This will be my fourth. My first was Tales of Symphonia on the GameCube, second was Tales of Vesperia on 360 (remaster as well on Xbox One), and third was Tales of Abyss on 3DS.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure if I'll play it and I want to play Berseria first, but I have been with the series for a while even if Xillia was the last one I played.

I have finished Symphonia, Symphonia 2, Eternia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces and Xillia.

Byronman

Oct 28, 2017
I only played Vesperia thanks to it being frequently on sale recently, and I loved it so much that I preordered Arise right after the end credits. More of that sweet mixture of action and jrpg, please.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Nope. I've played almost every western release of the series to date the only exceptions being Legendia and Abyss.

My first game being Tales of Destiny on the PSX years ago. Tales of Eternia (re-titled as Destiny II at the time), Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, Xillia, Graces F, and Zestiria.

Dabbled into fan translations and played both the SNES and PSX version of Tales of Phantasia too. I own Xillia 2 and Berseria but haven't gotten far in either.

It would be nice for Namco to revisit some of the older titles and re-release them in the style of Vesperia: DE though, but considering this series was at one point at risk to the point Namco decided to not localize under the premise that they didn't think the West was interested in the series, I'll take what I can get.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
The only other Tales game I've played is Berseria. I remember buying it on sale and never finishing it. It's on my long list of games in my backlog that I need to finish.

But I'm really looking forward to Tales of Arise. Especially after playing the demo.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Never had any interest in them before. I liked the Arise demo so I'll pick it up at some point.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, but my time with the series is a bit limited. Only ever played Tales of Abyss and Tales of Berseria.