• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Star Wars license should go to...

• EA

Votes: 65 7.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 100 11.1%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 55 6.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 262 29.2%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 114 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 288 32.1%

• Total voters

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Sony is the only publisher that doesn't do a lot of serious bullshit. Ubisoft is bogged down by their conveyor belt approach to franchises and Activision is more complacent than EA.

The one thing I will respect about EA is that they focus on creating ambitiously sized projects. I know that's kinda stupid sometimes but they actually have a rather diverse track record. I can't think of a thing Activision did besides Destiny in the last 5 years that was anything to write home about, and we all know how that turned out... and no, CoD is boring to me, I stopped being interested after Modern Warfare 1.

EA has their sports to play things safe, then they have a number of crazy subsidiaries like Respawn and BioWare, but they also have Maxis on The Sims. I know BioWare isn't "good" anymore but they still made some of the most creatively diverse things and new IP.

Idk where I'm going with this. Last up would be WB but I feel like WB has mismanagement. They're inconsistent as hell.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It'd be really nice if Disney takes the license back next year and starts lending it out on a game-by-game basis instead of selling the rights exclusively to any publisher.

That would be great.

Imagine seeing different types of games - would be great.

Shame that Disney wont invest on making a game studios that actually makes games though.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Don't give it to any one publisher, go the Marvel Games route and let multiple publishers/studios get a chance depending on how good the pitch is

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The franchise should be licensed to many publishers, not just to only one.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Lol at the people who said Sony.

I would say Ubi if only so they could let the AC team do a massive 2000 person developed open world star ears game .

Every two years set on a new planet!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be really nice if Disney takes the license back next year and starts lending it out on a game-by-game basis instead of selling the rights exclusively to any publisher.
This.

So many great new Star Wars games could've released by now. License out the IP game by game.

It expires in 2023, not next year.

I have no idea if well renew or not but its been a good investment for both parties. Plenty of sales and BF2 (as of today), SWGoH and FO are doing well (and theres always whatever is next) Plus being able to grow the relationship with Lucas over the years has been great.

Yeah, a few games were cancelled. It happens. Being so public about it painted the wrong picture, yall would panic if you knew how often every publisher out there cancels a game. Its the norm. Shipping is a miracle.

Anyways, this thread gets remade every few months. FO is a good game and that should count for something.
FO is a passable, by-the-numbers action game. Stuff like that should be coming out every other year, not once a decade. EA either doesn't have the studios, doesn't have the resources, or doesn't have the effective management to properly care for this IP.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No one publisher should have exclusive rights to the IP, it should be handled the same way as the Marvel stuff. That said with Disney's insistence that everything be canon, the odds of there ever being another KotOR style game where you get to make your character and choose light or dark side are pretty much slim to none.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
lol, of course Sony is winning; it shouldn't be exclusive to fucking anyone. You're never going to end up with the amount of quality Star Wars games like we did in the late 90's and early 00's by tying it down to one publisher.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
lol, of course Sony is winning; it shouldn't be exclusive to fucking anyone. You're never going to end up with the amount of quality Star Wars games like we did in the late 90's and early 00's by tying it down to one publisher.

100% agree with this post. We will never have another golden age of Star Wars games if one company gets exclusive rights.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll stay with EA. The lootbox news probably brought a lotta heat, but the Battlefront games sold well enough and Jedi Fallen Order has at least been received well enough critically (and hopefully sales-wise, as a fan of Respawn's work) that it's easy enough for Disney to continue with it.

Personally, like many here, I'd prefer it if no one publisher had it, and Disney instead took pitches from all over (ideally, these games would all be multi-platform too).

If I had to pick a publisher from those listed, I might honestly opt for MS for some different genres. Obviously you could have Obsidian working on KOTOR. But there's also Double Fine for some more light-hearted adventures in the universe. Maybe the Coalition for a rooty-tooty-shooty game. Hell, maybe a second-party thing with Asobo for Star Wars Flight Sim (obviously it is extremely unlikely MS would go this much in on one license, even Star Wars. But it's fun to speculate!)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It will expire next year? I thought it was 2023.

They should do like Marvel and allow many devs to work on it.

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EA are never going to get rid of their license to make Star Wars games. Star Wars games sell. Get Respawn to them all. Battlefront and the 3rd person story driven epic.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is probably the best pick of the bunch, but they're pretty good at making new IP, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about that being taken away.

Ubisoft is the most likely though, exclusive rights would never go to one of the 3 console manufacturers.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to see multiple places get a crack at it. Might be harder to juggle since everything is and needs to align in canon now, but I think locking it down to one company sucks.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's how I feel too. I'd love to see one of sonys studios work on star wars but that wouldn't be fair to Xbox players.
I'd like insomnia and obsidian to both do a game and then make them available for each others player bases.
Capcom is another studio that would be good.

I'd like to see an more Rpg centric action game, a space combat game, a bounty hunter game. Kotor 3 for everybody. And one where you are are dark jedi or inquisitior.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
noone should have exclusivity but I would like to see Star Wars game by CD Project and From Software. (well Fallen order is similar to Soulborne)

Oct 31, 2017
In an ideal world Mayer becomes the new Disney CEO and goes big into video games. He then proceeds to buy some developers/publishers and give LucasArts all the money in the world.

Whatever happens though I don't think they'll do a 10 year license again and will do more of a game by game (or trilogy by trilogy) basis like Marvel is doing.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A single publisher having exclusive rights to make Star Wars games is utter stupidity, through and through.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer that the license go out to multiple publishers and developers based on pitches, but I think if I had to choose one that Ubisoft could do some cool stuff with it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Microsoft just to reunite SW with Obsidian.

Lol Nintendo no.

I've seen enough sad dads and trees to last me a life time for Sony to have it. Hell, Darth Vader is already a sad dad.

I don't want Take-Two harassing me with PIs.

Maybe Ubisoft, if they can develop a good game these days, amirite or amirite?

Therefore, give it to me. I will make us General Grievous game.

Deleted member 11175

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix and Disney seem to have a really good working relationship. Maybe we could see an action RPG from them.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
If it has to be one, it should go to Sony, full stop. After seeing what their Studio did with Spider-Man, Disney can't let this go unnoticed. Insomniac is just insane and all of Sony's Studios are plain gods when it comes to First-Party-Titles. Now, this would limit sales to some degree as Xbox Owners would get the short end of the deal. So that's not gonna happen.

I'd rather they just sheer away from exclusive contracts and just let the best pitches decide. If for example CD Projekt RED pitches a great game (imagine KOTOR-like), I sure as hell bet that Disney won't decline given their track record. Also, by the best pitches approach, they'll be able to have far more studios included and thus expand the storyline even more. And for all we've seen so far: EA hasn't done shit with Star Wars other than Jedi Fallen Order and the poor campaign that is included in BF2 to expand the universe.

However, it shouldn't end up in a Warhammer manner where every no-name studio gets to do whatever they want.

Last edited:

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
If it has to be one, it should go to Sony, full stop. After seeing what their Studio did with Spider-Man, Disney can't let this go unnoticed. Insomniac is just insane and all of Sony's Studios are plain gods when it comes to First-Party-Titles. Now, this would limit sales to some degree as Xbox Owners would get the short end of the deal. So that's not gonna happen.

I'd rather they just sheer away from exclusive contracts and just let the best pitches decide. If for example CD Projekt RED pitches a great game (imagine KOTOR-like), I sure as hell bet that Disney will decline given their track record. Also, by the best pitches approach, they'll be able to have far more studios included and thus expand the storyline even more. And for all we've seen so far: EA hasn't done shit with Star Wars other than Jedi Fallen Order and the poor campaign that is included in BF2 to expand the universe.

However, it shouldn't end up in a Warhammer manner where every no-name studio gets to do whatever they want.
Damn I entered the thread to say CD Projekt RED to do a Kotor game with alla Cyberpunk style.