• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Star Wars license should go to...

• EA

Votes: 65 7.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 100 11.1%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 55 6.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 262 29.2%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 1.6%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 114 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 288 32.1%

• Total voters

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
ea-star-wars-880x440.png

Last time I've heard, EA's Star Wars video game license will expire next year. That means Fallen Order is probably their last game to utilize the franchise, unless if they extend the license. Since they acquired the license from Disney in 2013, they have produced and published like what, 5 not so great Star Wars games including the MMO and mobile game? Fallen Order is probably the best game out of the bunch. On top of that, they've also cancelled 2(?) Star Wars games since then. It's reasonable if people are generally not happy with the license being attached to EA.

Is there any recent info on this, or maybe some rumors? Does EA have a chance to extend it? If not, which company have the best chance to obtain the license? Is it Microsoft to make KOTOR 3 with Obsidian? Or Sony with Naughty Dogs and/or Santa Monica? How about the idea of Nintendo Star Wars game? What do you think?

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I know is almost impossible but I would love to see Star Wars on japanese hands again (yeah, I know the Famicom game was made by Namco and is shit but still), especially on the action or fighting genre.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be really nice if Disney takes the license back next year and starts lending it out on a game-by-game basis instead of selling the rights exclusively to any publisher.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Why not license it out to multiple different developers/publishers? Isnt that how it was in the 90s/00s?

Jan 4, 2018
I just hope that they start licensing out SW on a game by game basis and not to a single publisher.

SW didn't have the best track record before, but I really miss the variety and potential for trying something new within the SW universe.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nobody should have the exclusive publishing rights to Star Wars. Farm the IP out to different developers. Let Respawn do a Fallen Order sequel if they want, have Ubisoft try an open-world adventure-y Star Wars game, maybe Obsidian do a KOTOR reboot.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony isn't getting the SW franchise, lol. If it does change from EA, which I doubt, it's not going to anyone exclusive. I'd love to see an open world Assassin's Creed type SW game, so from that list I'd pick Ubisoft. As mentioned, though, a case by case basis would be ideal.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its about sales, not quality. If the games sold I don't see why Disney wouldn't renew. My take is they should do as Marvel did and work with developers with a proven track record. Spiderman sold like hotcakes and there's no reason to think Avengers wont do the same while keeping a similar level of quality. The way I see it, they are severely limiting themselves by sticking with solely with EA.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they not sell exclusive rights ever again and just license it out on a per game basis like they used to.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Nobody should have the exclusive publishing rights to Star Wars. Farm the IP out to different developers. Let Respawn do a Fallen Order sequel if they want, have Ubisoft try an open-world adventure-y Star Wars game, maybe Obsidian do a KOTOR reboot.
Do what Lucas Arts did.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have publishers and studios pitch their games individually.

I would have loved tie-in games for TFA/TLJ like they did in the PS2 days, but alas.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want it licensed exclusively to anyone. I want them to be very choosy with who they license it to. I want multiple great developers to get a chance.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't license it to anyone. They should establish an in-house Lucasfilm game management division and license individual devs on a per-project basis determined by their suitability to the project.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
EA makes sense at least for Battlefront for a logistics stand point. They have a base that they can use to churn out new games every 2-3 years.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Respawn is the only team from EA I have a lot of faith in. So if it's not them making the games I guess I'd trust Sony to do the right things with it.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
No one. Disney should be open to license to whomever pitches them something promising. They need a whole department in house that talks to studios. I'm flabberghasted they care so little about the presence of this IP in the videogame space as to be happy with EA's output, especially since they stated so pre Fallen Order release.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather it not belong to any one publisher exclusively, but if I've gotta choose, it has to be Microsoft.

They own Obsidian, after all.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want it locked down to any publisher. Just pick the best studios for each individual project.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
license the brand to whichever studios have great ideas for it. limiting the brand to one company is doing a disservice to the brand and the people who love it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It expires in 2023, not next year.

I have no idea if well renew or not but its been a good investment for both parties. Plenty of sales and BF2 (as of today), SWGoH and FO are doing well (and theres always whatever is next) Plus being able to grow the relationship with Lucas over the years has been great.

Yeah, a few games were cancelled. It happens. Being so public about it painted the wrong picture, yall would panic if you knew how often every publisher out there cancels a game. Its the norm. Shipping is a miracle.

Anyways, this thread gets remade every few months. FO is a good game and that should count for something.

Last edited:

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Disney will see the contract out and just license it out like they're doing the marvel properties.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hopefully they never make it exclusive again, what a shitshow EA having the only rights to it was.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think Disney will feel EA has done pretty well with the license.
They delivered battlefront games in sync with the movies, and those sold very well indeed. Very profitable stuff. And now they've put out a single player Star Wars game that's one of the best games this year.

Disney will take a business decision, not a knee-jerk "EA cancelled Amy Henning's game!" Type of decision.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume they take the approach they use with Marvel and do it game by game with different publishers and studios.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think that Ubisoft could make a good game, but they probably would make a first entry which promises lots of things and delivers about a half of what they promised in the first place, then they would make a second entry bringing everything that they promised in the first place in a slighty different and reduced scope, but people would have been burnt from the first and will be reticent on buying.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
What if Disney just licensed out Star Wars on a case by case basis instead of risking it all on an exclusive deal that could prove disastrous?

You know, like what they do with Marvel.

Also, considering how EA basically imploded this generation in part BECAUSE of the Star Wars deal, maybe you don't want your favorite publisher getting their hands on this monkey's paw of a license.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
There needs to be a Star Wars fighter with the SC engine. So Namco. I think that's the best bet and the most hype for something to freshen up the IP as a game, aside from a new WRPG.
That, or Musou. But I'd prefer a fighter.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I wouldn't mind if it was game by game based we would end up with a bigger variety of games that way. I don't think EA will ever put out a good Star Wars RTS like Empire at War or flight sim light like Tie Fighter. On the other hand I do like what they have put out so far both Battlefronts and Fallen Order are great.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give that shit to Rockstar and let us finally have an open world game that can wear the SW moniker properly.