• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and they find that the 299 or 499 option is better because they will save more money in the log run thanks to services like Game Pass. By the way, you need a controller to play Stadia so it's not $0.
You don't need a controller to play Stadia. You can play with your keyboard and mouse on PC, or just use an XBox/PS4 controller if you already have one.

This forum is aggressively opposed to Stadia, but it does have some great uses. I wasn't interested in it at all until I tried the free trial, and it clicked for me. Personally as someone who moves around a lot, I don't want to bring a huge console with me every time we move. I also have no interest in upgrading a graphics card every few years, and I only play games occasionally, so it's annoying to go on my PC and try to play a game, only to have a huge update or a driver problem. Stadia is great because I just click to play and it plays, and even on WiFi with very modest Internet, it looks great with hardly any lag.

I also like it for games which already need to always be online--I used the $10 coupon to pick up the Elder Scrolls Online while it was on sale, so I got it for a few bucks. It is great not having to update an MMO or keep a huge part of my small hard drive devoted to a game I can only play occasionally.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They've been so quiet it does make me worry. Is the Stadia division growing? I know they acquired a studio roughly a year ago and I think they had plans to grow their dev efforts under Jade Raymond as their Head of Studios?

If they have some great exclusives on the way then I think it's a matter of revisiting the pricing model as well as delivering on things like launching from YouTube.

I'd like to see them stick around and grow if only because competition drives innovation and I'd like to see streaming really take off over the next decade.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I still think we will see a jump in graphical quality now that next gen games are coming... I imagine they charge publishers based on the power usage of their games *directly or indirectly) (reason why they are barely above PS4 Pro level usually), and now with next gen coming they might reduce the price per watt (or something like that) so that devs can get graphics close to PS5/Series X levels. Just a random guess, the only way to explain their current situation that I thought about.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
They've been so quiet it does make me worry. Is the Stadia division growing? I know they acquired a studio roughly a year ago and I think they had plans to grow their dev efforts under Jade Raymond as their Head of Studios?

If they have some great exclusives on the way then I think it's a matter of revisiting the pricing model as well as delivering on things like launching from YouTube.

I'd like to see them stick around and grow if only because competition drives innovation and I'd like to see streaming really take off over the next decade.
Back in December they acquired Typhoon Studios.

They also opened a second studio in March of this year in LA which is being led by former Sony Santa Monica head Shannon Studstill. Their first one is in Montreal and was established last October.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It's dead, Jim.

Google clearly overestimate the burden of buying a console. Most gamers don't see paying $500 for an entertainment device that would last for years as that big of a deal.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

They just release a semi-exclusive this month - Super Bomberman R Online. Super Bomberman R exists elsewhere, but the Stadia version has some exclusive features like a 64 player mode & the ability to be watching someone playing the game on a live stream on Youtube and jump into their game with a click.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
They just release a semi-exclusive this month - Super Bomberman R Online. Super Bomberman R exists elsewhere, but the Stadia version has some exclusive features like a 64 player mode & the ability to be watching someone playing the game on a live stream on Youtube and jump into their game with a click.
Also next week a timed exclusive (Serious Sam 4) is releasing.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, and their current rollout is going exactly the way she said it would almost a year ago:

We ask about the timing of Google just now ramping up its game development efforts with the Montreal studio. Given the nature of AAA dev cycles, couldn't Stadia's fate as a success or failure already be determined by the time the key titles are finally ready to launch?

"It is a long term view that Google is taking," Raymond stresses. "For a big bet and a huge new IP that's going to fully leverage the cloud, it may be several years. But we do have quite a few exclusive games in the works that will demonstrate some of the exciting things about the platform all along the path. It won't be four years before gamers get to see the new exclusive, exciting content. There will be some coming out every year, and more and more each year."

As she explains, Google has "a spectrum of bets" it's working on, each with a different time frame. At first, Raymond concedes Stadia's lineup will be mostly third-party games, perhaps a few with some slight changes from other versions or Stadia-exclusive features. After that will come the second-party games from independent developers.

"Initially we're going to have some interesting indie-style titles we sign and they might look a little different, or take advantage of a YouTube integration, or have a different role for a streamer," Raymond says. "But they won't right away solve every problem or uncover every possibility of what cloud-native gaming is going to open up."

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually surprised MS don't allow you to play your own games through xcloud yet. Maybe a license limitation with XB1? Sony had that with remoteplay since forever so I assume its baked into the requirements for publishers. I want that way more than gamepass streaming

It's coming, Phil Spencer's talked about it a few times. I guess they just want to concentrate on the Game Pass segment first.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
NecessaryIcyIguanodon-size_restricted.gif

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Back in December they acquired Typhoon Studios.

They also opened a second studio in March of this year in LA which is being led by former Sony Santa Monica head Shannon Studstill. Their first one is in Montreal and was established last October.

Thanks for the info. This makes me think Google is definitely in gaming for at least several more years and likely for the long haul.

I didn't know about Bomberman and its youtube functionality. I'll check that out.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

This is the part that most people don't pay attention to and relates directly to the Gamebus videos I shared.

"For a big bet and a huge new IP that's going to fully leverage the cloud, it may be several years. But we do have quite a few exclusive games in the works that will demonstrate some of the exciting things about the platform all along the path. It won't be four years before gamers get to see the new exclusive, exciting content. There will be some coming out every year, and more and more each year."

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stadia arguably was in the best position to exploit the boom in gaming interest due to the pandemic lockdowns, given that it has zero up-front fees. So, to watch it fade into the background as consoles and PCs get massive boosta in its popularity makes me think that Google's completely blown their opportunity. I think the window for Stadia to grow into a relevant platform organically has closed, and I don't think any first party game will save it. I think Stadia shutting down next year is likely.

Oct 27, 2017
Why a convention like E3, PAX, IndieCade, Day of the Devs, etc. doesn't partner with Stadia to do a "[con] at home" weekend event that allows people to demo upcoming games for a limited time is beyond me. This tech could be so useful in getting games in front of people who would otherwise never see them and they're sitting on it like, "Please buy an old Assassin's Creed game, I guess?" I would easily pay money for access to this type of thing.

It's infuriating.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
I quite enjoy Stadia. I've even bought a few games on it. Still a lot of quality of life features that need to be added though.

I've been trying out Xbox game streaming this week, and while I like it, the streaming tech is night and day (I'll still play my fill of all the Yakuza games there and more). I'm not extremely sensitive to latency, but I can't play racing games on XGS, while I can on Stadia. Even though I'm closer to an Azure data center than one of Google's.

I think it'll be a show burn, and think the Chromebook example above might be apt. It might never be particularly big, but I hope both Sony and MS adopt the zero barriers (except game price) to access their exclusives. But I know that's unlikely.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how all those stadia believers feel nowadays.

Stadia is currently my main platform of choice and it's been great for me personally. The value I've gotten from the free months of Pro + the free games I've gotten for the little I've paid for it has been amazing. Performance wise it's been as reliable as local hardware for me, and it has convinced me to reconsider the need for local hardware this gen.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If Jade Raymond and Typhoon can pull off a miracle, then it's possible. Otherwise, relaunch it and genuinely launch with all promised features, a big push, etc. or go the way of SEGA and 3DO and make games multiplat. Streaming is the future of gaming IMO, but it's not the now. Sony knows that. Microsoft knows that. Amazon knows that. Nvidia knows that. Google just doesn't.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Stadia is currently my main platform of choice and it's been great for me personally. The value I've gotten from the free months of Pro + the free games I've gotten for the little I've paid for it has been amazing. Performance wise it's been as reliable as local hardware for me, and it has convinced me to reconsider the need for local hardware this gen.
This has been my personal experience as well. I guess I just value the convenience more these days. The fact that I can game on my phone, tablet, bedroom TV, living room TV, etc and am able to jump in a game in less than a minute without having to worry about installs/updates/patches has definitely drawn me to use Stadia more.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why a convention like E3, PAX, IndieCade, Day of the Devs, etc. doesn't partner with Stadia to do a "[con] at home" weekend event that allows people to demo upcoming games for a limited time is beyond me. This tech could be so useful in getting games in front of people who would otherwise never see them and they're sitting on it like, "Please buy an old Assassin's Creed game, I guess?" I would easily pay money for access to this type of thing.

It's infuriating.
That's genuinely a fantastic idea, like "I would actually interact with Stadia" good.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I hope so.

But it is unlikely.

Google barely supports successful products let alone dead ones.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This has been my personal experience as well. I guess I just value the convenience more these days. The fact that I can game on my phone, tablet, bedroom TV, living room TV, etc and am able to jump in a game in less than a minute without having to worry about installs/updates/patches has definitely drawn me to use Stadia more.

Totally. I still remember getting a used copy of Gran Turismo 5 and literally never playing it because I simply never had time to download and install the massive update that was required.

I've also had experience with every kind of gaming hardware up to this point; from Atari & Colecovision, through the regular consoles, gaming PCs, gaming laptops, etc. It all seems archaic now. Why should the burden of upgrading hardware be set on the player and not the platform holders? Last gen we even saw a mid-gen hardware refresh. There's no reason to believe it won't happen again this gen as well. I say let the companies worry about building hardware that will run games and let the players just play games. Just as the idea of buying a VCR/DVD/BluRay player for movies seems ridiculous to me now, I similarly don't want to do anything to play a game other than just select it on whatever device I happen to be using.

Kid Night

Oct 27, 2017
My experience is Stadia has easily the best streaming tech. After using both xCloud and Stadia, Stadia blows xCloud out of the water performance wise. Stadia has the superior tech.

Stadia's main issue is value. It is not cheaper to have Stadia, which was Stadia's promise. There are game sales every week on Steam, PS4, and Xbox. Epic gives away a game or two every week. Gamepass gives you hundreds of games to stream or play locally. Discounts are weak if ever on Stadia, and the library is pretty dismal.

Microsoft adding All Access to Xbox is the Stadia Killer. Local and streaming library of games, the console to play it on for $25-$35 a month. Stadia really has to rethink their value proposition if they are going to survive.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
You don't need a controller to play Stadia. You can play with your keyboard and mouse on PC, or just use an XBox/PS4 controller if you already have one.

This forum is aggressively opposed to Stadia, but it does have some great uses. I wasn't interested in it at all until I tried the free trial, and it clicked for me. Personally as someone who moves around a lot, I don't want to bring a huge console with me every time we move. I also have no interest in upgrading a graphics card every few years, and I only play games occasionally, so it's annoying to go on my PC and try to play a game, only to have a huge update or a driver problem. Stadia is great because I just click to play and it plays, and even on WiFi with very modest Internet, it looks great with hardly any lag.

I also like it for games which already need to always be online--I used the $10 coupon to pick up the Elder Scrolls Online while it was on sale, so I got it for a few bucks. It is great not having to update an MMO or keep a huge part of my small hard drive devoted to a game I can only play occasionally.

Yeah I used to hype Stadia, then I tried it. The lag makes Destiny crucible unplayable. BTW it's the exact same with Xcloud, and I'm sure Geforce Now. None of these services can change physics.

At best I think cloud gaming can become a fringe addition to the gaming pantheon.

That said I thought of a great use case for Xcloud (in my case, since I own Gamepass/Destiny expansions on that service). I was contemplating selling my One X and having no console until the new ones come out (taking advantage of higher current trade in values). Then I remembered there's one more Destiny Quest I need to do for a seal, but it's not coming out until near Nov 10. The Destiny Season ends Nov 10. It was literally timed perfectly where if I sold my One X, I wouldn't be able to get the seal. Then I realized, I could just do it on Xcloud on my tablet! Not ideal, but it would work fine for PVE. It's cool to realize, I dont actually even need hardware to play the game!

But anyways I check the Destiny population numbers through the Charlemagne bot occasionally, and the Stadia community was utterly tiny to start with (the numbers might ROUGHLY look like (daily players) 400k PS4, 300k PC, 300k Xbox, 5k Stadia. The stadia numbers though havent even been holding up as well as the other. At peak they were 8-9k and have declined to sometimes 3-4k They're not even holding up as well as the other platforms. Not a good sign.

Anyways one opportunity for Stadia will be if they could offer a better visual experience than the consoles. Even compared to current gen that's been spotty. They need major back end upgrade to leapfrog the next gen consoles now, which at the least will be slow going.

But I imagine the Stadia player base is so low Google is probably reconsidering investment as is.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Stadia has a lot of potential, especially now Digital only versions of the big 2 are a thing from launch. Moving into a digital only future will def be a thing for the mainstream gamers once internet speeds get much better for a lot more users.

Unfortunately this project was launched undercooked and is obviously led by someone who has their head deep within their own ass and consistently making the wrong decisions. Even in the current console landscape it would be something that people would check out and probably use if they would have done a Netflix style subscription that has payment tiers for different resolutions and do frequent updates to their library. Additionally there is still no system seller exclusive and that should have be a thing at LAUNCH!

Now the Xbox and PS5 are on the horizon with competitive prices, they are running circle around whatever Stadia is doing right now and I think the best thing they could do is go back to the drawing board, let the tech mature behind the scenes, get a few exclusive games in development and rebrand it and do a proper Release. No weird beta programs or whatever.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
The state in which it launched was so barebones that this service didn't gain any traction.

One of the main pushes for stadia was the youtube integration. Watch a video of a game, click on that video and start playing on stadia. This is still missing and seeing the lack of success stadia is having. I don't think we will see it.
The last thing google wants is poisoning one of its main services (youtube) with one of its worst received ones (stadia). We already suffered google+ everywhere back in the day and it was horrible.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

By controller I didn't mean the Stadia official controller and yeah, you can use keyboard and mouse.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia hasn't even weathered the current generation particularly well. Its third party support is even worse than Switch, and its first party support still doesn't even really exist even close to a year after launch. Unless Google can seriously turn things around, Stadia is likely going to just fade into obscurity over the next couple years.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Thank you for reminding me that Stadia still exists. At least, kinda exists. Totally forgot about it.

It will continue to not matter.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
What is google doing with this service?

No countries added since launch and the free tier is still to be available.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Reinforces my argument that Google did a poor job of promoting their service : )

I wouldn't trust so much the amount of people that hate cloud gaming and only come to this type of thread to say they already forgot about Stadia. So many of them are just waiting for any thread related to Stadia to come up, to then post they don't care. This is just blind hate and doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.