• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think among certain people it's become to next great hope for xbox winning.

First it was the fact that Microsoft had built up so much good will from gamepass and the accessle controller etc but that didn't help much.

Then it was Microsoft talking more earlier that was apparently turning the tides but social engagement has put that to rest.

Then it was TF but the fact sony have a better ssd etc has quieted that down somewhat.

Then it was games but after the poorly received showcase of third parties that went quiet.

Now the only thing left is price and so even though all conventional logic and information states that won't be the case, some are clinging to the idea since its the only thing they have left.

Lay down your sword, warrior.

Oct 28, 2017

First it was the fact that Microsoft had built up so much good will from gamepass and the accessle controller etc but that didn't help much.

Then it was Microsoft talking more earlier that was apparently turning the tides but social engagement has put that to rest.

Then it was TF but the fact sony have a better ssd etc has quieted that down somewhat.

Then it was games but after the poorly received showcase of third parties that went quiet.

Now the only thing left is price and so even though all conventional logic and information states that won't be the case, some are clinging to the idea since its the only thing they have left.
Truth

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lay down your sword, warrior.
I'm not console warring, I'm just simply pointing out how the narrative around the next gen has been going here over this year.

I mean your free to disagree but anyone who spends enough time here will tell you this is how the conversation has been going with many posters who argue that Microsoft will 'win' next gen.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Lockhart will have a smaller GPU that also requires cheaper cooling and maybe less ram and a smaller SSD but it's true that overall BOM won't be a lot lower since some components are the same and I doubt GPU cost is proportional to its size. MS will have to follow a similar strategy to Sony where they basically take a bigger loss on the disc less sku with the expectation of higher profit margins from digital.

The issue is that a lower cost, heavier loss SKU is aimed at the market that generally don't buy many games a year or download a lot of DLC. If anything you want to aim a DE SKU at the sort of people on this forum that buy 5-10 games a year or more and DLC to gain the losses back.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be competitive

I think it'll shake out as follows:

PS5 - 600
PS5DE, XSX - 500
Lockhart - 300

Here's my reasoning so it's not construed as a "hot take". Sony knows they have the momentum and the brand recognition. It's not 2006. They can charge 600 and people will still buy it in droves. They can afford to charge 100 less on the DE because they will reap the benefit of digital sales right into their pockets. MS will want to undercut the highest end PS to earn back some user base and they can afford to because MS as a company has deeper pockets than Sony. And despite the fact that one division doesn't affect another MS has shown a deeper interest in their gaming division. Just look at GP. They're willing to take a hit to get a subscription. They'll also want the lowest entry point console with Lockhart since they'll focus on cross gen.
No, they would not sell out in droves. And no Sony cannot get away with selling a perceived weaker console for $100 more than the competition... especially when you add game pass into the mix. Lockhart being an entry-level to next-gen at $300 would make things look even worse for Sony. That is a massive savings over the competition when you actually consider those things. And I am sure Sony understands this. Some of the claims in this thread makes zero logical sense. And read like wants more than any actual expectation. Seriously, you can have all the momentum in the world, but it means nothing if you price yourself out of the market. A $600 price tag -- especially in the middle of a recession -- would do that.

PS5 DE: $449; PS5 DDE: $499
XSS: $349-399; XSX: $499

There's your "beating them on price" *with* their entry-level offering.

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Huh? All this stuff is positive and will definitely help MS next gen.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
Here's my reasoning so it's not construed as a "hot take". Sony knows they have the momentum and the brand recognition. It's not 2006. They can charge 600 and people will still buy it in droves.

Do you remember 2006? Sony were even more dominant and $599 was a colossally bad move to the point it made meme status.

Two global recessions since then and $599 would be even worse.

Jun 23, 2019
Theres way to communicate with a logical reply. You don't need to agree at all, but at least represent yourself with some sort of an intelligent reply.

lol Get off your high horse. Your comment was revisionist history at its worst and laden with borderline console warring. Trying to paint Sony's moves with the PS4 as reacting to MS when these things are planned months ahead of time is laughable. Intelligent enough for you?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That's the number that posters like to use. As dumb as it is, that's what the narrative would end up being.

PS5 and XsX will be the same price.
Yes they will. And I also think that Sony won't have trouble convincing the general public about the PS5's value. It's not a coincidence that they've been hyping up the SSD since last year, long before XSX's specs were announced. It's a lot easier to convince people by showing cool SSD magic like in R&C rather than fight over tiny differences in pixel counts on compressed YouTube game trailers.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Huh? All this stuff is positive and will definitely help MS next gen.
No doubt, but if you have been paying attention, many have been arguing at different stages that this is the reason why 'xbox is winning'.

Problem is though that that hasn't actually shown in any measurable way yet. For ages now we have been hearing how 'xbox is winning mindshare' because of how transparent they have been and all of the points I mentioned and yet Sony have got more engagement and positive impressions every single time by a tonne.

If Microsoft were winning mindshare, that would have shown by now by audience engagement but so far it's not shown at all.

Doesn't mean they have 'lost', but this idea some posters have been trying to argue that Microsoft is going to make up all of the ground they lost simply doesn't seem like it will happen.

It's just another example of some people being in the Era bubble and not having a real grasp of what the actual market is like.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
No doubt, but if you have been paying attention, many have been arguing at different stages that this is the reason why 'xbox is winning'.

Problem is though that that hasn't actually shown in any measurable way yet. For ages now we have been hearing how 'xbox is winning mindshare' because of how transparent they have been and all of the points I mentioned and yet Sony have got more engagement and positive impressions every single time by a tonne.

If Microsoft were winning mindshare, that would have shown by now by audience engagement but so far it's not shown at all.

Doesn't mean they have 'lost', but this idea some posters have been trying to argue that Microsoft is going to make up all of the ground they lost simply doesn't seem like it will happen.

It's just another example of some people being in the Era bubble and not having a real grasp of what the actual market is like.
I honestly can't recall one poster saying Xbox is going to 'win' next-gen because of any of these reasons, only that Xbox will have a much better gen this time. Someone saying that they like what Xbox doing or that they think Xbox is doing a better job doesn't mean that they think the market share is going to flip all of sudden.

PS would be fine even with a more expensive console, but everything that MS is currently doing will help them gain market share.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm not console warring, I'm just simply pointing out how the narrative around the next gen has been going here over this year.

I mean your free to disagree but anyone who spends enough time here will tell you this is how the conversation has been going with many posters who argue that Microsoft will 'win' next gen.
I don't know what conversation you've been following but very few people think Microsoft is going to win, your comment earlier reeks of fanboyism. They may have suggested the system might be more powerful but that doesn't translate into Microsoft winning. This whole winners versus loser is a joke anyways, all fueld by console warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
This is 2013 all over again. Oh my gosh......

People are doubting Sony on price while believing that Microsoft will just pull out the lowest price ever. Why is Sony always associated with higher price but Microsoft isn't?

Shit they are less proprietary this gen and still get called being more proprietary....I don't get it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I honestly can't recall one poster saying Xbox is going to 'win' next-gen because of any of these reasons, only that Xbox will have a much better gen this time.

PS would be fine even with a more expensive console, but everything that MS is currently doing will help them gain market share.
Maybe I phrased it wrong and instead should have mentioned it as there has been a lot of 'concern' about how Sony will do next gen in comparison to xbox.

I do think xbox will do better next gen but a lot of the concern for Sony in the run up to now has been based in unsubstantiated gut feelings and not any actual empirical evidence.
I don't know what conversation you've been following but very few people think Microsoft is going to win, your comment earlier reeks of fanboyism. They may have suggested the system might be more powerful but that doesn't translate into Microsoft winning. This whole winners versus loser is a joke anyways, all fueld by console warriors.
As mentioned above, the better way of explaining my point is about the 'concern' around how well Sony will do rather than Microsoft 'winning'.

But either way, there have been tonnes of posters who whave followed the narrative I outlined over the last 6-9 months. Hell, just spend any time here and pay attention and you will notice how narratives form about certain things.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Maybe I phrased it wrong and instead should have mentioned it as there has been a lot of 'concern' about how Sony will do next gen in comparison to xbox.

I do think xbox will do better next gen but a lot of the concern for Sony in the run up to now has been based in unsubstantiated gut feelings and not any actual empirical evidence.

As mentioned above, the better way of explaining my point is about the 'concern' around how well Sony will do rather than Microsoft 'winning'.

But either way, there have been tonnes of posters who whave followed the narrative I outlined over the last 6-9 months. Hell, just spend any time here and pay attention and you will notice how narratives form about certain things.
The narrative was Sony was being very quiet while Microsoft was being more transparent, that's it. Some may have taken it a bit further and said Microsoft is winning the narrative into next gen or awareness but I don't recall anyone mistaking that for winning next gen.

It's funny how fragile some are because some now think Microsoft's last show screwed any ounce of positivity they had. We still have big shows before release, don't get ahead of yourself. This 'concern' keeps flipping back and forth. It's called posturing and it happens every generation.

I expect better competition and once you remove those who will never stray from their lane you realize most rational people think Microsoft is in a better position moving forward. Sony still has the momentum of good software and beating Microsoft at console sales. I don't think anyone really thinks Microsoft will overtake Sony, at least not worldwide.

Supernova

Oct 10, 2018
I believe that both Sony and MS will take losses on the digital only versions of consoles but they will compensate for it with a higher share of revenue of digital sales and subscriptions by cutting out the middleman (physical retail). With a digital only console you have to buy your games from the PlayStation or Xbox store so they get more of your money in the long run anyways so it makes more sense to take the loss upfront.

Imo, this is why there will be a decent gap between the digital only consoles and the mainline versions with optical drive. Doesn't make sense to have 2 SKUS if the difference isn't at least $100+.

In terms of pricing this is how i think it would play out (in USD):

PS5 DE - $449
PS5 - $599

Lockhart- $399
Series X- $599

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
it's actually pretty amazing how Sony made $399 look like a bargain to the point where PS5 being $399 is considered a fantasy by many. Gotdamn.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not "slipping up" by Sony if MS decide to lose money on every console and it makes the PlayStation seem comparatively expensive.

Neither product is going to be particularly profitable though. Even if one is slightly more expensive, it'll still be a fucking bargain compared to what you would pay for such an equivalent machine in the pc space.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
You don't appear to have absorbed the details of what I said, so again:

On the games front, no, Microsoft haven't shown more than Sony. They've been holding those cards close to their vest for a long time, aside from what little we know of Halo Infinite (which hasn't been seen for over a year now). Sony had been holding theirs even closer... until Thursday.

On the hardware front, yes, MS have shown a lot more than Sony. They let DF and Austin Evans take the thing apart and look at the components, and also showed off some of the new features using existing Xbox One games. They haven't shown Lockhart at all, however.

Microsoft's July digital event is going to be their version of Sony's event this past Thursday, minus the need to reveal the Series X. It's going to be the big blowout of whatever first-party stuff they have to show, along with whatever larger third-party partnerships they have. We know this because they've TOLD us this, along with multiple insiders.

As to whether it "flips the conversation", I didn't even mention. It'll depend on what they've got to show.

MS showed games already, tho. People just weren't wowed by what they saw and think there's something "big" coming. LOL

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
I just can't see Microsoft allowing any of their consoles to be undercut on price. I feel like XSX will match whatever the PS5D will be.

I don't think they'd be massively concerned if Lockhart is a thing. The only thing they need to make sure of us that they're not more expensive than both PS5 SKUs.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The narrative was Sony was being very quiet while Microsoft was being more transparent, that's it. Some may have taken it a bit further and said Microsoft is winning the narrative into next gen or awareness but I don't recall anyone mistaking that for winning next gen.

It's funny how fragile some are because some now think Microsoft's last show screwed any ounce of positivity they had. We still have big shows before release, don't get ahead of yourself. This 'concern' keeps flipping back and forth. It's called posturing and it happens every generation.

I expect better competition and once you remove those who will never stray from their lane you realize most rational people think Microsoft is in a better position moving forward. Sony still has the momentum of good software and beating Microsoft at console sales. I don't think anyone really thinks Microsoft will overtake Sony, at least not worldwide.
Either it was from xbox fans concern trolling or Sony fans being shook at the thought of losing their dominance of the market, there have been a TONNE of posts following the points I raised at each step.

Like you said, most sensible people will just think that Microsoft will do better than this gen but that doesn't change the fact that I have seen so many posters having to debate with these arguments that Sony was losing the mindshare war when we don't have any actual evidence to show this.

You may not have seen these debates going but ask anyone who spent time in the 10 OT PS5 prediction threads and they will tell you it was happening.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I think Sony came up with the digital PS5 as a last-ish minute decision (once they knew Lockhart would exist) to close the gap on the undercut that Lockhart will do. But I don't see it being more than $50 cheaper than regular PS5.

Going by the design its more likely the disk version was a last minute decision! The digital version is not going to be much cheaper, it is a way of making sure gamers buy digital only and so sony make more money.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Sony need to bring both PS5's in at under £500/$550 imo.

Any more than that and I think it will be a burst ball.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'd be massively concerned if Lockhart is a thing. The only thing they need to make sure of us that they're not more expensive than both PS5 SKUs.
This here. If Lockhart is still a thing.

Thats how MS wont be undercut on price. Its wild because its almost like some ppl dont even see Lockhart.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kind of thinking Lockhart isn't going to matter. MS is treating XSX as their next gen, and has yet to acknowledge Lockhart.

Kind of like how the 20 GB PS3 got written off by consumers, I think Lockhart largely will too.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With lockheart I think Microsoft will undercut Sony. I expect $499 with Series X though.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
MS showed games already, tho. People just weren't wowed by what they saw and think there's something "big" coming. LOL

It's pretty obvious that I'm arguing with a fanboy at this point, so I don't know why I'm bothering but:

As I said when you FIRST pointed that out, those games were indie titles and multiplats. And literally zero of them were made by Microsoft's studios.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
PS5 - £499
PS5 Digital - £399 - £449

Xbox Series X - £499
Series S / Lockhart - £349 - £399

I think Sony made a good choice making a digital version, to offer 2 price points.

Series S / Lockhart is the last piece of the puzzle now. I wonder if it will be digital too or MS will offer 2 versions of the X and S down the road.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Now i know why Phil says you don't have to buy the xsx at this holiday season.
They will undercut the PS5 and hope that not many people buy the console.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm kind of thinking Lockhart isn't going to matter. MS is treating XSX as their next gen, and has yet to acknowledge Lockhart.

Kind of like how the 20 GB PS3 got written off by consumers, I think Lockhart largely will too.
That's why it has to be a significant price difference. Not many are willing to have what is viewed as a gimped system if you are already paying $400. Why not just spend another $100 for Series X then? This thing will have to be $299 or lower. The PS3 20GB was viewed the same way, no wi-fi and less storage and was already $500. The Xbox 360 was even worse for the cheaper Arcade model.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thing is that despite not having a disc drive, the PS5D is a direct comparable to the XSX wrt performance. They don't want to be in a position where someone can buy a console that can play CoD with premium performance for $50 less, because people will ultimately weigh up that choice.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I believe both companies are willing to take massive hits on their hardware in regards to profit margins, especially with their digital only consoles, I assume they're both waiting for the other to go first. I really don't see the price of either companies consoles being huge.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
I think Sony came up with the digital PS5 as a last-ish minute decision (once they knew Lockhart would exist) to close the gap on the undercut that Lockhart will do. But I don't see it being more than $50 cheaper than regular PS5.
I wouldn't be surprised they are at the same price point. Nothing about the announcement and subsequent interview made it sound like the digital version is meant to be the more cost effective sku.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
I believe that both Sony and MS will take losses on the digital only versions of consoles but they will compensate for it with a higher share of revenue of digital sales and subscriptions by cutting out the middleman (physical retail). With a digital only console you have to buy your games from the PlayStation or Xbox store so they get more of your money in the long run anyways so it makes more sense to take the loss upfront.

Imo, this is why there will be a decent gap between the digital only consoles and the mainline versions with optical drive. Doesn't make sense to have 2 SKUS if the difference isn't at least $100+.

In terms of pricing this is how i think it would play out (in USD):

PS5 DE - $449
PS5 - $599

Lockhart- $399
Series X- $599
I can see this happening

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I hear about this every generation yet every generation it doesn't happen.

Because the Xbox division still needs to make money. The idea that shareholders would be OK with the Xbox division draining away profits from their other more profitable ventures is laughable. Like every corporation, their no1 goal is to make shareholders happy and keep share prices rising, you do that by making money (which Xbox does nicely) not by killing yourself by having a race to the bottom with your biggest competitor. MS don't really care that Sony make more money than them, it's not a competition. The same goes for Sony, but the difference is PlayStation is more important to Sony's bottom line than Xbox is to Microsoft's.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty obvious that I'm arguing with a fanboy at this point, so I don't know why I'm bothering but:

As I said when you FIRST pointed that out, those games were indie titles and multiplats. And literally zero of them were made by Microsoft's studios.

who is arguing? I was just pointing out that MS has shown a ton of stuff, and in fact more than Sony. That has literally been the topic of threads on Era, so IDK why you think that's anything to argue about. Relax. LOL

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
That'll be nuts if next gen consoles cost $600. I'm not even saying I'd be surprised if they will, but my word, that is way too much for most people. They will not succeed on the level they are now, if that is their cost.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
No, they would not sell out in droves. And no Sony cannot get away with selling a perceived weaker console for $100 more than the competition... especially when you add game pass into the mix. Lockhart being an entry-level to next-gen at $300 would make things look even worse for Sony. That is a massive savings over the competition when you actually consider those things. And I am sure Sony understands this. Some of the claims in this thread makes zero logical sense. And read like wants more than any actual expectation. Seriously, you can have all the momentum in the world, but it means nothing if you price yourself out of the market. A $600 price tag -- especially in the middle of a recession -- would do that.

PS5 DE: $449; PS5 DDE: $499
XSS: $349-399; XSX: $499

There's you "beating them on price" *with* their entry-level offering.
Do you remember 2006? Sony were even more dominant and $599 was a colossally bad move to the point it made meme status.

Two global recessions since then and $599 would be even worse.

The market has drastically changed and the mainstream has adopted video game into popular culture in a way that it hadn't in 2006. People weren't paying for 1000 for phones in 2006 either, and though your phone clearly is a more essential device, you're deluding yourself if you think Sony won't price another console at 600. That narrative won't continue to play forever. 14 years of inflation are clearly just being ignored.

They started charging for PS+ and no one batted an eye.

Games went up from 50 to 60 and there wasn't a peep.

Markets change...but I guess we'll find out sooner than later. It's a prediction for a reason, you both act like you're infallible.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly, I don't think there's really a massive risk even if they do price it high. They will sell out at launch as long as it's $500 or less, and then if they need to adjust in 2021 due to significantly slowing sales, they'll do that.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

Should have known to stop reading right there. Dude you act like everyone in here is fanboying, and there's no logical reason why someone could possibly deduce that maybe they don't both launch at the same price.

I've been gaming on every single Xbox, Nintendo and Sony console since 88. There's no winning a war that doesn't exist. Sony sells more, great! MS, sells more cool! Nintendo sells more than both, yay! None of that matters because I don't own stock in any of their companies.
We're merely discussing possible pricing scenarios, and somehow you seems frustrated because not everyone shares your opinion.