• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who only read the first line of an OP, if that, understand that I'm talking about an equivalent to Halo -- so a big budget, high production first party exclusive FPS with multiplayer, filled with an insane amount of content that's supported for years after launch.

==================//

As a huge fan of multiplayer gaming, Sony's exclusives obviously lack in comparison to Microsoft's first party multiplayer offerings, but do you think Sony will have anything next gen to fill this void in the FPS multiplayer genre, preferably more arena based and less CoD?

I wanted this from Resistance during the PS3 era so bad, but the PS4 came and went without signs of Sony caring much for multiplayer experiences, let alone AAA FPS multiplayer games.

Will Killzone return as a "Halo Killer" once again?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger question is whether Halo: Infinite will be able to return the series to its former glory IMO. I don't know that Halo 5 performed anywhere near as well as MS would have hoped.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not. I don't see them investing in that when so many third party titles fill that void.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I think they're happy with mostly focusing on SP experiences for now, while they let the 3rd party go for those MP offers. They tried with Killzone, Resistance, and to certain degree MAG and I think they found that it just wasn't their thing.

Obviously, things can change at any moment, but my answer is no.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Honestly, there are a lot of multi-platform "Halo killer" type games (hate that term) that Sony adding to the mix will likely not make much noise. Hell, Halo doesn't even make that much noise anymore. Not saying Halo is dead, but its no longer the king of the hill like it used to be. Games like Destiny and CoD have definitely taken over that crown.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Killzone 2 already came out a long time ago. Sony can't even top that. Plus Halo's games didn't age well.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, especially when you say arena based. The market is just not that interested in that genre.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
I hope sony makes some more killzone games. The warzone multiplayer mode is amazing and so much fun. Big maps, big player count and dynamic missions. Nothing is like it.

Speaking from a business perspective however, the best thing for sony to do isnt to make answers to the competition but do their own thing and offer something different. They did that this gen with horizon, spiderman and god of war, and it was very successful for them.

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I think both Guerilla and Naughty Dog are rumored to be working on multiplayer centric shootbangs along with their bigger story focused titles.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Like... I think it's academic, at this point? In the PS2 and PS3 era, the narrative was that Sony needed a "Halo killer"... when what eventually "killed" Halo was CoD. Like... focusing on an arena shooter now isn't really that necessary--Halo will still sell well and all, but it's not the king of the genre, or of gaming that it used to be--hasn't been that for over a decade, now.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately we probably won't see a new Resistance until after like, Spider-Man 10.

I don't think they'll bring back Killzone, either. Which frankly I am not bothered by at. all.

I can't see them doing anything in-house. Perhaps a third party exclusive. But I think in the year 2020, they don't need to compete with Halo anyway. Not until a new Halo game has true staying power and becomes one of the top 10 multiplayer games in the world again.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger question is whether Halo: Infinite will be able to return the series to its former glory IMO. I don't know that Halo 5 performed anywhere near as well as MS would have hoped.

343's decisions with 4 and 5 have sunk the Halo franchise. It's more irrelevant now than it's ever been.

Infinite is really 343's last chance to save it.

And rather than creating a new AAA FPS, I'd rather see Sony revive SOCOM and turn it into the killer app for PSN.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony has largely moved past trying to compete in the competitive multiplayer space, at least in terms of internal development. When the most popular games are being made by third party, it's just easier and likely cheaper to pay for some exclusive stuff. Sony made multiple attempts on the PS3 and while they had their audiences, none of them really gained mainstream appeal.

Oct 28, 2017
Halo hasn't really been the juggernaut since the 360 era. 4 and 5 to my knowledge sold substantially less and were less popular from the bungie developed ones. At least according to forum posts I've read over the years.

I think a better question would be, does Microsoft have anything to compete with Spider-Man and a God of war as those two games were absolutely huge.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The rumor is that Guerrilla is making a FPS with the Rainbow Six director.

But I couldn't care less about shooter games.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Time for a sequel to this

518wrFCoBOL.jpg

Imagine a game being so fucking bad that the company that made it goes bankrupt, gets absorbed and dissolved months after release.

That's Haze.

For those who don't recall, Haze was so bad that Free Radical went bankrupt, staff was disbanded, and whatever was left got bought out by crytek only to end up getting shut down a few years later.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope they never make one. If there's one thing there's enough of in the market it's multiplayer shooters.

Oct 31, 2017
No probably not, and I think it's a missed opportunity for them. I think that they should invest in FPS again with something that's Halo-esque which has a good campaign that works well either as a single player or cooperatively + a robust multiplayer suite that can facilitate a range of play, but that is at its core a tight, balanced, competitive experience.

That said, it is much easier said than done as most games would illustrate. I think Sony is mostly content with allowing third party studios fill the FPS niche on PlayStation and I think it's kind of a shame honestly. I'd really love to see them invest big in FPS again.

The closest they came was on PS3 with Killzone 2 and Warhawk (I know it's not an FPS, but it is probably Sony's most "Halo-esque" multiplayer game).

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
A bigger concern is Microsoft figuring out a way to stop the downward spiral that is the halo franchise. Sony doesn't need a "halo killer".

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like Sony is (smartly) focusing on holes in the market that they are really good at providing: exceptionally high budget single player games for a "mature" audience.

They likely feel like it's pointless to compete in categories that are already filled by their 3rd party partners.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Was HAZE their intended Halo killer? I thought it was Killzone? Speaking of which, I should probably play this game at some point. Found it for like six bucks at a used video game store, threw it in a closet, and kinda forgot about it.
Haze was hyped as a Halo killer in development--not by Free Radical, who felt it was stupid that a new game on new tech with some similarities was being thrown in direct comparison to Microsoft's first-party juggernaut at the zenith of it's cultural relevance, but by Sony and Ubisoft (or whoever the publisher was).