• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
So when crossplay was a controversial topic this generation, one of the things that was generally being thought was that Sony is just making up excuses but will reveal Ps5 with full crossplay with Xbox2, Switch, PC, and now Stadia I guess.

But cynics like me feel like Sony's never going to do it.

What do you think?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're going to because creators of games big and small will want to implement it and Sony won't spend the whole gen with that PR cloud over their head.

It's nice to see how uncontroversial cross-play is when Ethomaz and Philly Cheesesteak aren't around to intentionally muddy things and draw the drive-by shitters out of the woodwork

Last edited:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think they will "embrace" it, but I think they will allow it on a greater scale than currently.

May 17, 2018
There's still no reason for them to do it outside of being a good PR move, so, I expect to only see it with big games.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
There's still no reason for them to do it outside of being a good PR move, so, I expect to only see it with big games.
Are you speaking from their perspective or from Playstation owners? because plenty of them were pissed when their fortnite account were locked to Playstation. It's a great thing that benefits their customers. It's more than good PR it's good practice. COD is embracing crossplay it can't just be ignored anymore and there is no market leader for next gen.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not entirely bothered if they do or not. But I imagine they'll want to ride a good-faith wave into next gen so they continue this insane momentum. Cross play + backwards compatibility seem to fit the bill.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It should be obvious now that crossplay is allowed on a case by case basis despite what the internet chatter implies. They could start allowing it for more and more games but they won't be seen as 'embracing' it unless they choose to market it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think at this point and moving forward, it's going to be a game by game basis.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If they get another fortnite situation then obviously. But Sony hasn't given up on the console market and despite what the publishers say, they'd much rather sell you two copies as opposed to one. So behind closed doors, I suspect they're not applying any pressure, despite what "some" may say publicly.

Sony will relent if and when they feel broad "mainstream" pressure but other than that, it's still very much a "Buy a Playstation if you want to play with plastation gamers" type of ethos.

Fine print reads something like: "And PC if and when we have a co development / marketing deal."

At least, that's the impression I get from them.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They better play ball because I plan to keep giving them shit for their stupid stubbornness and "walled garden" bullshit.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
its_classified_barack_obama.gif

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why they don't embrace it now. Sixty-five percent of their market is outside of the United States, and outside of the UK in those markets, the Xbox isn't really a competitor to them. Even from an idiotic market place leader perspective, what exactly are they afraid of?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
They should. Unless they are completely open like Microsoft lately, I could not care less.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Full cross-play? Not sure about that; though it's logical, I don't trust Sony.

Major titles being cross-play, and case by case basis (where majority cases lead to day one cross-play happening)? Most likely.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I freaking hope so, its so backwards thinking these days. People will still come to you just by delivering the games they don't need to create a walled garden too.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I sure as hell hope so, but I'm not sure if it'll happen. Sony being so selective regarding cross-play could potentially bite them in the ass if they continue with that mindset going into next-gen.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I still don't understand why they don't embrace it now. Sixty-five percent of their market is outside of the United States, and outside of the UK in those markets, the Xbox isn't really a competitor to them. Even from an idiotic market place leader perspective, what exactly are they afraid of?

The whole purchasing the platform where your friends are playing becomes less of thing if all third party games are cross platform.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Depends how things go.

If they're the market leader again, and by a wider margin again, then they'll probably avoid crossplay as much as they do today.

If they're matched or behind, I could see them adopting more cross play.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They've already made their position clear:

Not if they cant help it

Microsoft is all about it because they're losing badly so its a "please play our games, somewhere, anywhere and hopefully it'll interest you in the home console"

Sony doesn't have that problem

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The whole purchasing the platform where your friends are playing becomes less of thing if all third party games are cross platform.

But that issue doesn't matter in markets outside of the US and the UK for Sony. And even for those two markets, the strength of Sony's first party is strong enough to convince people to choose their platform. There's zero reason outside of being dipshits for there not to be crossplay across the board.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Sony is ANY more consumer-friendly than they are right now.