• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
They might.

Issue is that any game that would have been big enough to distract from the Microsoft event (eg: let's say a hypothetical Uncharted 5) would probably get far less views than had it been shown at Sony's PS5 event.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
At this point both could just run campaign "Come to store on release day and find out the price!" and people would roll with it, thirst is real for new HW.
If the government passes out one more stimulus check as they negotiate for more coronavirus relief this week, I think we will all have to be super vigilant on twitter and resetera and reddit to look for preorders. Things are going to be sold out like crazy. You haven't been able to buy a Nintendo switch since March. Imagine how hard it'll be to find the PlayStation 5 at launch

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I doubt they will do anything. If Microsoft opens preorders then don't obviously will have to do so as well, but I don't think they is happening this week.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
If the government passes out one more stimulus check as they negotiate for more coronavirus relief this week, I think we will all have to be super vigilant on twitter and resetera and reddit to look for preorders. Things are going to be sold out like crazy. You haven't been able to buy a Nintendo switch since March. Imagine how hard it'll be to find the PlayStation 5 at launch

I live in Finland.

If this gen transition is anything like previous one then US gets basically 90% of available HW, rest is split between other market areas and then Nordic countries get basically one unit per. PS4 availability was joke for looong time here and I expect same from this release no matter what.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why people keep acting like Sony is the underdog here and has to scrap and claw for attention.

They have people eating out of the palms of their hands with the slow drip on their own timetable.

DavidBoring

Oct 27, 2017
they will probably to the same microsoft did around the ps5 game reveal event - push a lot of money into marketing. i never had that many xbox ads in my twitter feed

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I live in Finland.

If this gen transition is anything like previous one then US gets basically 90% of available HW, rest is split between other market areas and then Nordic countries get basically one unit per. PS4 availability was joke for looong time here and I expect same from this release no matter what.
I haven't even thought about non-American countries. I just look at how the switch, a 2017 console (it's old now) is sold out everywhere for FOUR months and still sold out. It's going to be wild.

makes me wonder if the hardware shortages will make Microsoft's cross gen game strategy worth it in theend because most gamers won't even have the ability to get a series x

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Sony have more meat to show and tell but I expect they will let Microsoft's event pass and then show more down the line sometime.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Sony doesn't need to counter anything MS announces this week. They got people making threads on gaming forums about whether or not series x game designs will be flawed.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I hope not. These next gen announcements have been good and without pettiness. Each has given the other space.

I hope Sony doesn't change that and opens preorders for the PS5 Monday the 27th.

Feb 15, 2019
That would be pretty dumb. Everyone that follows gaming knows this is THE Xbox show to watch. A random UI show off or controller show off or whatever small thing will only make it so PS themselves gets less coverage. An announcement of their August show would also not accomplish much. It's an announcement so people are gonna be like "Oh, ok cool I'll watch it in August" and keep their eyes on the Xbox show.

The only thing that could even potentially "counter" MS's conference is if they were to do their big August show on the same day as the Xbox show (and at that point they'd have to announce it like...... today) which probably just ends up being detrimental to both companies as both companies gets fewer clicks and nobody's happy.

I guess something that'd actually get eyes off MS show without hurting themselves would be opening preorders. But that'd be just a shitty move to do.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Highly doubt it since they are not posting anything on Facebook or Instagram in July. And it's probably a big part of their marketing

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Honestly I don't think they will. I expect pricing info soon though as well as the next showcase announcement. They don't really need to counter MS. But I think from August it's going to be news every week.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That would be pretty dumb. Everyone that follows gaming knows this is THE Xbox show to watch. A random UI show off or controller show off or whatever small thing will only make it so PS themselves gets less coverage. An announcement of their August show would also not accomplish much. It's an announcement so people are gonna be like "Oh, ok cool I'll watch it in August" and keep their eyes on the Xbox show.

The only thing that could even potentially "counter" MS's conference is if they were to do their big August show on the same day as the Xbox show (and at that point they'd have to announce it like...... today) which probably just ends up being detrimental to both companies as both companies gets fewer clicks and nobody's happy.

I guess something that'd actually get eyes off MS show without hurting themselves would be opening preorders. But that'd be just a shitty move to do.
Well judging by their media metrics they can definitely create traction even with very trivial news but I don't think they will either way.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They should drop a new games showcase the day before (surprise announcement a few hours before and open pre orders an hour after MS's conference just so I can watch ERA burning down.

Feb 15, 2019
Well judging by their media metrics they can definitely create traction even with very trivial news but I don't think they will either way.

Yeah but there's a big difference between stream head to heads when it comes to THE Xbox show of the year and a theoretical stream of the PS5 UI. Every big streamer's gonna be on the Xbox event for that because they want to see what games there will be. It'd be detrimental to Sony.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
They will probably hold and event in August to announce some new games + PS5 price and release date

An event or State of Play right after MS's event wouldn't be a good look, and wouldnt benefit Sony either

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Regardless if they do or not

Between Nintendo and Microsoft we all eating this week

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think theyll keep quite his week and let Microsoft hog all the news. Im guessing price and pre orders announcement possibly on Wednesday coming.
I remember reading one of your earlier posts.
So revealing some new games, a cheaper less powerful console and announcing xcloud is earth shattering? Lmao
I don't think Sony have anything to worry about /s

but i am sure big jim is thankful for your thread though. Clearer by the post what type of conversation you're hoping for here .

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Probably not? I don't think either of these companies operate like console warriors or have tit for tat mindset. They'll share things on their own schedule, when they're ready.

OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember reading one of your earlier posts.

I don't think Sony have anything to worry about /s

but i am sure big jim is thankful for your thread though. Clearer by the post what type of conversation you're hoping for here .
Ah I love it when a hunch is right.
What? In that thread the op listed some announcements that he thinks will be earth shattering and I simply said theyre not what i would call earth shattering. Majority of people in that thread agreed so I guess they're all rabid fanboys too.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? In that thread the op listed some announcements that he thinks will be earth shattering and I simply said theyre not what i would call earth shattering. Majority of people in that thread agreed so I guess they're all rabid fanboys too.
So if you dont think Xbox has Anything earth shattering why would Sony need to respond?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Doubt it. These big events are the biggest marketing that some 3rd party games will get before they release. Don't think Sony will draw attention away from it.

OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing another user
So if you dont think Xbox has Anything earth shattering why would Sony need to respond?
Are you slow? I said those announcements the op listed he thought were earth shattering are not what I call earth shattering Not the actual Microsoft event since nobody knows what is going to be announced.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
They've dropped major news once this entire year, I doubt they're going to go tossing out relevant stuff just because of MS.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. But its possible that preorders could open Friday after Microsoft announced it on Thursday.

Either way it's a good week. Bandai Namco conference Wednesday, Microsoft Thursday and comic con on at the Weekend.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Maybe announce an early August date for their next event, but I doubt it
I have a feeling they always intended to announce price and release date at Gamescom

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. There's no point. Good buzz on the PS5 right now - no need to stand in your own way. MS needs a killer conference and Sony knows it.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Pretty much. These are companies that operate like businesses, not to the whims and attitudes like console warriors. Sony nor Microsoft need to react or counter anything.
Yup. Billion dollar companies don't get there by making knee jerk reactions. They will respond if necessary but it won't be some petty rush to respond. Sony doesn't need to anyways, they both have an August event planned that will be the big battle ground since that's where price/pre-order/launch titles will probably be revealed. This is just Microsoft's version of Sony's June show.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did MS drop anything the week of the PS5 event to keep Sony from hogging the news? I don't think they are as eager to quickly take swings at each other as much as lot of people think.
No because they had their event still scheduled. But there was an attempt by some of the Xbox execs to try and "drum up" some response to their fanbase. (see Greenberg et all)