• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It won't be any different in terms of price drops for Sony, MS or any other third party publisher. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. More people buy games and can become fans of IPs or get sucked into their ecosystems.

Heck I literally only have two games on my Switch because Nintendo refuses to drop the price on games that are over a year old or more.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What "Nintendo policy" are people referring to?

Their policy of making games that people want to buy and play at full price even years after release?

I don't really want them to change that policy.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
What "Nintendo policy" are people referring to?

Their policy of making games that people want to buy and play at full price even years after release?

I don't really want them to change that policy.
You really think people should be paying 60 bucks for Links Awakening 2 years from now? You want to pay that? Seems silly.

I just bought the entire Kingdom Hearts series for 32 bucks.

Spiderman for 20

Horizon for 10.

That's 9 games for the same price that Links Awakening will be 2, 3, 4 years from now. Beyond ridiculous.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
It won't be any different in terms of price drops for Sony, MS or any other third party publisher. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. More people buy games and can become fans of IPs or get sucked into their ecosystems.

Heck I literally only have two games on my Switch because Nintendo refuses to drop the price on games that are over a year old or more.
Same. I even lost my copy of breath of wild after putting 70hrs into it, but refuse to rebuy a game years later for the same price I paid when it first released.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You really think people should be paying 60 bucks for Links Awakening 2 years from now? You want to pay that? Seems silly.

I just bought the entire Kingdom Hearts series for 32 bucks.

Spiderman for 20

Horizon for 10.

That's 9 games for the same price that Links Awakening will be 2, 3, 4 years from now. Beyond ridiculous.
I don't know what you mean by "should" in that context.

I know that people will.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Price Drops are not a function of Sony being cool to you, or Nintendo mean. The price drops when it stops selling at the desired rate. Horizon isn't selling like it used to, Sony sold it for 8 bucks. Zelda is still topping the charts, it's 60 bucks.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you mean by "should" in that context.

I know that people will.
You know exactly what the word should means. People do a lot of dumb shit. Your post suggest you agree that it's a good thing they don't drop their prices.

The quality of their games wouldn't change because 3 years later the game sold for a reasonable price.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You know exactly what the word should means. People do a lot of dumb shit. Your post suggest you agree that it's a good thing they don't drop their prices.

The quality of their games wouldn't change because 3 years later they game sold for a reasonable price.

I'm waiting for a Hyrule Warriors sale since I bought a Switch lmao

I refuse to buy at $60

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Price Drops are not a function of Sony being cool to you, or Nintendo mean. The price drops when it stops selling at the desired rate. Horizon isn't selling like it used to, Sony sold it for 8 bucks. Zelda is still topping the charts, it's 60 bucks.
This is not true. Nintendo keeps all their prices higher than usual regardless of sales.

I also think Sony feels like allowing more people to play games makes their sequels sell higher

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

The quality of their games wouldn't change because 3 years later they game sold for a reasonable price.
I really don't. Do you mean it should be like illegal or what?

If the argument is "capitalism is bad and should be abolished" I could probably engage with that, but under capitalism I can't really see why Nintendo should not be allowed to set their own prices and let market forces play out.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not, I like spending less money on possible good games even if I have to wait six months later from the release date.

Pretty sure no game from anyone was cheap during the cartridge eras.
Gamecube onward Nintendo consoles didnt have much third party support to be competition. Luigis Mansion would be $10 by now if the switch had PS4s library.

Nintendo's games on their handhelds(where there a lot of competition from 3rd parties) were full price nearly throughout their lives, where in contrast 3rd party games dropped rapidly--especially in the GBA-3DS eras. So I doubt your hypothetical scenario would happen.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true. Nintendo keeps all their prices higher than usual regardless of sales.

I also think Sony feels like allowing more people to play games makes their sequels sell higher
Then explain Sushi Strikers, Arms, 1/2 switch, kirby, Capt Toad, Fitness Boxing, Go vacation, and the many titles that have been discounted. Games that sell at 60 remain at 60.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
That's why Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors are still full price. Charts aflame.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Increased competition means a more aggressive pricing strategy. Its basic economics

Sony is more concerned with you entering their ecosystem and purchasing games on it, whether its their or a third party's. Nintendo is concerned with making money out of their first party software sales.

Does PSN retain more value than Nintendos online service because it's more expensive? This just reflects more about each companies strategy.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is clearly an strategy and it works really well for them

They dont care about mantaining the value high after it hits a certain profit level

Nintendo's strategy is substantially different since their main business is actually selling their software

The most important thing for Sony is having you spending on PSN, which makes significantly more money than anything Nintendo does (actually PSN revenue is bigger than Xbox and Nintendo together as of last year irrc)

Also: PS4 AAA third party competition is MILES bigger than on Nintendo Switch. Which doesnt matter at all for Sony btw, they use their exclusives to lock people on their ecossystem and then these people will spend on other exclusives or third party games, both being integral to their PSN revenue

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I doubt it and I think Sony knows adopting a similar strategy to Nintendo would hurt them more than help

Nintendo not dropping the price of its games was kind of a factor when I decided to buy a PS4 instead

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean some people don't dip into a new series unless the see it budgeted at a low price

so the price reduction adds to the fanbase when the game has been on the market for a long time and therefore gives it an extra boost of growth

plus I also like it when other companies that aren't Nintendo do a more smaller budget game and release it at a lower price point like MediEvil or Crash Remake, etc...

heck even though I still buy those Nintendo titles all the time I would love it if they actually reduced some and follow similar traits like other developers/publishers in terms of pricing smaller titles and/or reducing the price of older titles

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Doubtful. Particularly given their games are generally single player.

There's no need to rush out and get their games day once since there's no multiplayer base you need to be there with before it dies off.

Sep 25, 2018
A lot of odd responses in this thread.

Sony would probably very much like people to keep buying their games at full price for months and years after release.

But people are not lining up to do that, so the games get discounted.

This is pretty basic economics.

people on here making up all sorts of excuses for Sony I'm glad you understand. there was another person to who said even when Nintendo had 3rd party back in the day they still the Same as now.

simple Point majority of Nintendo games sell well

like Sony ceo said two or three years ago only 3 or 4 out of 10 games sell well

this the same reason if third party made their own system, Sony and Microsoft would go out of business while Nintendo can survive on first party games alone

switch just came out and have more first party 10 million sellers than the competition they are only competing with 3rd party red dead sales, call of duty series, fifa, 2k series only competition for them and some others I'm missing

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
As the main Xbox player I hope not, I bought a PS4 this year and obtained a collection of exclusives at a ridiculous price. I have no hurry to pay 60 dollars for a game without online.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is clearly an strategy and it works really well for them

They dont care about mantaining the value high after it hits a certain profit level

Nintendo's strategy is substantially different since their main business is actually selling their software

The most important thing for Sony is having you spending on PSN, which makes significantly more money than anything Nintendo does (actually PSN revenue is bigger than Xbox and Nintendo together as of last year irrc)

Also: PS4 AAA third party competition is MILES bigger than on Nintendo Switch. Which doesnt matter at all for Sony btw, they use their exclusives to lock people on their ecossystem and then these people will spend on other exclusives or third party games, both being integral to their PSN revenue
This can't possible be true anymore with Xbox bring in revenue off of XBL, Xbox Services and Game Pass. (given the size of the XBL userbase and PC platform.)

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think sony wants as the maximum amount of playstation owners to play their games.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The third party games on Switch usually have the exact same discounts as they do for their PS4 versions, so I don't get how competition forces Sony to drop prices. Nintendo has just curated this mentality over decades that their games are precious and should hold the value over years, regardless of quality or whether its a remaster or a straight port.
This can't possible be true anymore with Xbox bring in revenue off of XBL, Xbox Services and Game Pass. (given the size of the XBL userbase and PC platform.)
They need to double that revenue in last 12 months just to match up with PSN alone.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
I've always been curious - does Nintendo have influence over their game prices not dropping at retailers? Because it's really consistent. Even stuff that's not among their evergreens barely drops in price. Used games as well. Meanwhile PS4 stuff is $20 after 3 months. There was a lot of sticker shock when I got my Switch after being conditioned to expect everything to be dirt cheap within 6 months after the last few years on PS4.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, I hope not. I pass on a lot on Nintendo games because of this "high value". As if games are a worthwhile investment

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Sony's games compete with a lot more third party games on the platform than Nintendo's does. They have to drop thebprocento compete with all the other games available, Nintendo not so much.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
That's the reason why i didn't buy a switch for my niece and nephew this year. Games that have been out for awhile are still normal price.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is well known that first-party sales to third-party the ratio is like 3 to 7 for Sony. Third-party still rules on Playstation and competition is high.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with Sony's games in the bargain bin after 2 months. People can buy them cheap

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Price drops are a great thing and without them I would not buy nearly as much as I have and do.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony doesn't really care about pricing their games in a way befitting their quality as long as they got you hooked to their ecosystem. It's because of this that they won't find it difficult to eventually move their first-party software to a subscription model like Games Pass once the numbers check out.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sarcasm aside Breath of the Wild is almost a three year old game and it's still 60 dollars. Sucks for consumers :/.
it's definitely not ideal, but i don't see how it makes business sense for them to drop it when it's constantly charting WW 3 years after release. i do think they're going to do a nintendo selects lineup in a couple of years dropping a few games to 40 tho. botw, mario odyssey, splatoon, xenoblade 2, etc. hopefully including the DLC as well if the game has any.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sarcasm aside Breath of the Wild is almost a three year old game and it's still 60 dollars. Sucks for consumers :/.
Thing is, this also benifits users who sell after finishing a game. Could anyone here get even 20 buck for the last of us bought at launch? Wheres I can easily sell botw for at least that much.

Don't these price drops actually devalue your original investment?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Next-gen games will cost even more to develop so I can safely tell you that games may even get price increase let alone price drop compared to current-gen.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people complaining can just like buy those *super expensive* nintendo games used for a lower price. been doing it since forever and it works great, if you know what you're doing they come in mint condition, as good as new. a lot here should try it

Also, the nice thing about the price not dropping is that you can buy your shit on day one without feeling like a sucker, knowing that if you waited a month or two you would be saving money

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I think that only happens because Nintendo has barely any 3rd party stuff to compete on their systems .

You're mostly only buying a Nintendo console for Nintendo stuff so they're never gonna have a reason to drop prices.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
They are going for different goals. Sony wants you on Plus, wants you hooked into their ecosystem, which is a lot more profitable than Nintendo online stuff.

No. This ain't it. most of Sony's big hitters are single player games that aren't big on pushing people to Plus.

Nintendo's stupid policy is the reason why I'll never buy any title of theirs that isn't a sure hit for me (only two Switch games bought this year), so I sure hope the other companies will remain as consumer-friendly as they have.

There is absolutely nothing 'consumer unfriendly' about keeping prices as close to retail for as long as possible. Market forces drives down the cost of Sony and MS first party games.