• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the complaints about the drip-feed of NES titles, when you consider the otherwise dirt-cheap cost of Switch online, I don't know if it's reasonable to expect that they'll be just handing out their SNES library and possibly N64 or whatever comes next, all for the same $20/yr.

Seeing as the NES app on the Switch is standalone, it's not a jump to conclude that the SNES app and others will also be standalone.

I wouldn't be surprised if NES online was just a free taste, and SNES online winds up costing another subscription, maybe just $5-10/yr, but still in addition to what we're already paying. Maybe they'll even split these apps off entirely and make barebones online cheaper, like $10, and then another five or ten bucks for each "Classic" app, with discounts if you bundle them.

On the one hand, I can see immediate outrage that Nintendo would dare charge for something, but I don't think I'd mind a setup like this, especially if they compensated by upping the number of releases each month.

What are your thoughts or predictions?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think that it'll just be part of the current plan. They need to add more value to it, not sour people on it even more.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think that would be a very bad business decision, if anything, adding it for free will get more people to sign up to their online services and be more profitable for them, another subscription would have the polar opposite effect.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't give them any ideas. I'll say though that they better not charge more for it. Yes the $20 may be cheap but their online still isn't great in games like Super Smash Bros. and they still lack most online features that Sony and Microsoft offer. Adding SNES games to the service really shouldn't increase the price.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I expect they'll offer tiers in increments of $10 for each system beyond the NES. I've always expected $20 to be the baseline and with how Nintendo values their catalog, there's no way they're going to keep adding new consoles without rising the sub cost.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think they want to keep things simple - so other subscriptions options are unlikely anytime soon.

Once we reach 64/Cube/Wii things might change.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll take a simple approach and just hike up the total subscription cost a bit. Like $20 to $24 or something

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
The value proposition for their online service isn't amazing at this point. The least thing Nintendo could do is to release those roms to make people happy -> Or they actually try to get their online implementation to the same level that Sony / Microsoft is offering, which is doubtful. I think if they'd charge on top of what they're already charging, people will riot.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think they want to keep things simple - so other subscriptions options are unlikely anytime soon.

Once we reach 64/Cube/Wii things might change.
These are my feelings too. I reckon NES/SNES and then maybe GB and GBA (if planned) will be part of this service, and then anything else would be another 'tier'. Hope to be proved wrong, mind.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will increase price or be a different subscription. They do have all Roms for NES and SNES at hand after the NES and SNES Mini.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you even entertain this thought let alone already make excuses for it being a good thing

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They'll likely rebrand the NES: NSO app into a generic 'Virtual Console: Nintendo Switch Online' (or something) and just put the SNES games in it. I doubt they're going to change for another subscription, it'd attract a lot of backlash.

Oct 31, 2017
My guess is:

NES & SNES: Part of current NSO
64/Cube/Wii/U: Titles individually or part of a higher yearly tier

Personally? I'd like to just buy all the titles individually and be done with it.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
That makes absolutely no sense.

Oh, we're talking about Nintendo? Yeah, this will probably happen then. But it will be a limited time release and only a limited quantity of people can sign up before it's gone forever.

Oct 25, 2017
Most likely not.

The reason people subscribe to Switch Online, PS+ and Live Gold is to access online play. Anything else is extra and will not drive subscriptions. Making a separate SNES subscription would not sell because you can access online play with the one you already have. It would also be a bit confusing because the mandatory subscription includes NES games but not the SNES games, while the SNES subscription will not include online play.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll up the sub.

It'll just be a separate app to the NES games, you'll be able to choose between the NES/SNES app.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no way. they want to make the current service more appealing to attract new people, not to piss off the current subscribers.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
No, that'd be fucking stupid.

They are struggling to justify the price of their online service as is, adding a second subscription on top of it would be just confusing and shitty.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll take a simple approach and just hike up the total subscription cost a bit. Like $20 to $24 or something
Yes, this is what I expect also.

Nintendo knew that they'd be offering a service that was clearly inferior to any comparable service. I think the price they set is an acceptance of that, with the initial price low to get people subscribed.

I don't expect Nintendo to sit at their current price when their direct competition charges three times more. I fully expect them to ramp up the price in several increments. They'll add features slowly to justify those price increases.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I will be really interesting to see how they'll handle this, but I would gladly pay a bigger fee if they just stepped up their retro game releases and release more interesting stuff at higher frequencies.

Just think about all the great SNES RPGs they could possibly release. It would be a shame if we had to wait like 5 years until we finally got the complete collection on modern consoles.

NES games are super uninteresting to me. I haven't even downloaded the NES App on Switch. SNES games on the other hand have aged beautifully and can't come soon enough.

Oct 26, 2017
It'd have to be a part of the current online subscription. They already get a large amount of justified flack for their current online offerings. Adding on more subscriptions would just be absurd atm

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
- Online and NES Only $19.99 a year
- ^ + SNES $29.99 a year
- ^ + N64 $39.99 a year
- ^ + GameCube $49.99 a year
look-mama-its-the-devil.jpg

JedWhitaker

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
You all know you'd happily pay for those tiered subscriptions.

Also, Let's do some math with the current drip feed of titles, shall we?

NES has 677 (NA) games, of which 31 have released so far, at an average of under 3 a month. So we could have the full catalog in just 17.95 years, or around $359 total.

SNES: 721 (NA) would take 20 years at 3 a month.

N64: 296 (NA) 8.2 years

Gamecube: 553 (NA) 15.36 years

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
It better be included with the service considering the money wasnt invested in anything else

Im not seeing any change in infrastructure improvements or QOL features anywhere near what the competition provides outside of cloud saves

Dont get me started on the smartphone app. Hot garbage

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It better be included with the service considering the money wasnt invested in anything else

Im not seeing any change in infrastructure improvements or QOL features anywhere near what the competition provides outside of cloud saves

Dont get me started on the smartphone app. Hot garbage
Right? I'd love SNES games on my Switch but I'm not paying any extra when the amount they charge now hasn't been justified.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You all know you'd happily pay for those tiered subscriptions.

Also, Let's do some math with the current drip feed of titles, shall we?

NES has 677 (NA) games, of which 31 have released so far, at an average of under 3 a month. So we could have the full catalog in just 17.95 years, or around $359 total.

SNES: 721 (NA) would take 20 years at 3 a month.

N64: 296 (NA) 8.2 years

Gamecube: 553 (NA) 15.36 years
Most of NES games are trash.,They are not releasing every one of them.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Most of NES games are trash.,They are not releasing every one of them.

Ive had some dumb fun with friends playing ice hockey and some of the other games

Would never have paid for this and it wss smart to just include them to be freely and permanently playable with the online service

If they make their entire back catalog available Netflix style for 20 a year then sure its a great perk