• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Apparently 2020 isn't a total loss. Will Smith and Janet Hubert (Aunt Viv 1.0) had a very emotional and frank discussion for the recent Fresh Prince reunion. A partial transcript/write-up can be found here.

Hubert further explained that she wasn't fired, instead she just didn't accept the "really bad deal" offered to her that meant a reduced salary and not being allowed to work elsewhere. The mother of a newborn and wife of an out-of-work husband, Hubert turned it down and was subsequently recast. "I was hurt deeply," she says. "When I left the show, I had this new baby and no one. Family disowned me. Hollywood disowned me. My family said, 'You've ruined our name.' And I wasn't unprofessional on the set. I just stopped talking to everybody because I didn't who to trust because I had been banished. And they said it was you who banished me. Because you were Will. It was hard."
Smith says that as a 21-year-old he felt like "everything was a threat" to him. "I was so driven by fear," he admits. "I have children. I've been divorced and I have a second marriage, and I can see now the level of pain and the level of struggle that it was just for you to show up every day." Retorts Hubert: "But you took all of that away from me — with your words. Words can kill. I lost everything. Reputation. Everything. And I understand you were able to move forward, but you know those words, calling a Black woman difficult in Hollywood, is the kiss of death. And it's hard enough being a dark-skinned Black woman in this business. But I felt that it was necessary for us to finally move forward. And I'm sorry that I have blasted you to pieces."
Smith thanked her for sharing all of that with him as they both were on the verge of tears and Hubert tenderly put her hand on Smith's face. "You're still my Aunt Viv," he declared. The duo ended by apologizing and embracing.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought that 'difficult' claim was bullshit, even years back. Good to see Will owning up to it.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I imagine you have to be incredibly on edge as a black woman in Hollywood. Or any career, really. Gotta make sure to please people.

Reading this only gave me more respect for my ex, who, when she was treated poorly at work told the CEO to her face that she wasn't going to tolerate it. And then ended up with promotion after promotion because she earned that respect. Had to have been hard as fuck.

More on-topic, glad they patched shit up!

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Was will that famous and influential prior to fresh prince? Always thought he was an actor turned rapper.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the aunt Viv change was overblown. But after binge watching the series on Max. Holy SHIT what a massive downgrade. No disrespect to the actress but she is just straight up terrible in comparison.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Was will that famous and influential prior to fresh prince? Always thought he was an actor turned rapper.
Rapper first. He actually had a pretty insightful video on youtube about how he landed the fresh prince gig, which was hilarious and a prime example of being in the right place at the right time.

Edit: Here it is

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the aunt Viv change was overblown. But after binge watching the series on Max. Holy SHIT what a massive downgrade. No disrespect to the actress but she is just straight up terrible in comparison.
Yeah, she's a fine actress, but her performance was very safe. Once the change happened the Aunt Viv character really lost her edge. Herbert's performance, especially in retrospect, was spectacular.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I have no hostility toward New Vivian, but it was pretty clear that they wrote her to be more soft-spoken. Original Vivian was written to be confident, competent, and independent - celebrating the same qualities that her employers pushed her out for.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG Aunt Viv felt like a girl from Philly. You could see where she and will might have had similar upbringing. They lost all of that when Hubert left.

Oct 27, 2017
While Will is partly to blame I do think that she (she ad kits this) felt that she and uncle Phil were just as important to the show and should've been paid equal to Will. And like nah I liked them but Will was top billing followed by Carlton.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna echo the sentiment that the second Aunt Viv isn't necessarily bad so much as pretty much just "there" compared to the original, yeah.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Rapper first. He actually had a pretty insightful video on youtube about how he landed the fresh prince gig, which was hilarious and a prime example of being in the right place at the right time.

Edit: Here it is

Is this the video where he talks about how broke he was and if he hadn't landed the show he was talking about going back to blue collar work?

Edit: just watched and yeah this is that one.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Hearing her give her side of the story definitely put her in a whole new light. It;s nice to see that they were finally able to bury the hatchet.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Wasnt the deal that she was an awful person and they all hated her? She also got in some beef with a bunch of random youtubers.

Edit: This youtuber got into some beef with the actress and she really didnt do herself any favours.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First he was insecure as hell and intimidated by 2pac , then he ends Aunt Viv's career. Smh.
Ouch. Think he's more humble these days or is it an act?
He was bigheaded for a long time, that's why Jada got sick of his crap at some point. He had an ego after the show during his big 90s-00s movie run.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Now I feel bad for the new one lol

Janet was much better, but maybe because they never gave a chance to the other, Aunt Viv was demoted to "wife and mother" with only generic sentences.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think I have met a single person ever who liked the second aunt viv better, despite her being in the show for much longer.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew Will was such a cunt back then. Good on her for being able to forgive him, must've been hard.

OP
OP
Biggersmaller

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Hearing her experience of being a black actress with a reputation of being "difficult" was equal parts frustrating and insightful. It's likely she demanded too much money and wanted the role to be given higher priority than a show starring Will Smith would make sense to allow. But damn, she was also utterly amazing as Aunt Viv.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have met a single person ever who liked the second aunt viv better, despite her being in the show for much longer.
It's on the writers for basically stripping the character down to 'house wife', not on Daphne Reid for playing what she was given. She did fine, but she wasn't given anything to do.
I'm glad this situation and resolution was brought to light like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Im suprised people's takeaway is "omg Will was the villain!!!" when she literally says that contract issues got her in trouble and that she became uncommunactive/paranoid of her co-workers. That would very easily lead to a tense atmosphere and anger at the star of the show specifically because of their bigger paycheck, which in turn would make the star confused and defensive. What this interview seems to me is an opprotunity for this woman to explain the "why" behind her past behavior and be seen as more than one-dimensional, and for the guy hosting it to be supportive and really observant

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It's on the writers for basically stripping the character down to 'house wife', not on Daphne Reid for playing what she was given. She did fine, but she wasn't given anything to do.
I'm glad this situation and resolution was brought to light like this.
Yeah totally, she was such a strong character in the first few seasons and then she took a back seat. Definitely nothing against the actress playing the second viv