• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
You really think security are going to detain a celebrity? Maybe if Will started whaling on him , but for one slap? Nah.

No not detain just that they didn't know what was happening so I was surprised to see no one try to go up and stop it. Or stop it from getting worse in case Chris reacted in return

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I just question if Will would've slapped a white comedian that made the same joke.

I had the same thought. But then I remembered.
youtu.be

Will Smith Slaps Reporter! - HipHollywood.com

HipHollywood Website: https://hiphollywood.com/Subscribe to HipHollywood! https://bit.ly/3KOPIyxWowwww! This is a side of Will Smith we haven't seen before! ...
Plus he seemed like he was on one tonight supercharged emotions due to being nominated. Smoke for everybody

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

"nah, that wasn't that hard bro"

vSWKelX.png
vSWKelX.png

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just question if Will would've slapped a white comedian that made the same joke.
It's important to note that this whole thing seems to mostly be building on existing beef between Chris Rock and Will & Jada. He's joked about them before, occasionally on the Oscars stage - and it wouldn't be hard to imagine that this is why Smith took this whole thing so personally. It's not just a random standup making a shit joke - it's somebody who does seem to have it out for her to some extent.

It's reasonable to say there isn't anyone else Smith would have slapped for the exact same joke.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's similar to another post earlier in the thread that was like, "If any non-celebrity did this, people would be calling the police."

What fucking world do you live in where anyone would call the police over a slap. Most people aren't calling the police if two dudes get into an actual fight.

easy, CRACKAS

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Had to go back and re-think my shitty hot take. This sucks all round. I'm sympathetic to both sides. Will is going through something deeply personal and took it out on stage with Chris. That's unfair. I understand the reaction but recognize it, but it's a lot. Chris, conversely, whatever you think of the joke, had to suck up the slap and hold any of his emotion in. He had to keep dancing for his check and he had to stifle any reaction he might've had to hit back. Then I had to think if Will Smith would've done that to ANYBODY else. Forget his physical and clout advantage over Chris, but would he have done that to even the most meek of white presenters on stage? I'm going to guess not. The reasons why are obvious. He bullied Chris because he knew that he could and that he, Smith, could withstand it. Now removing clout and Hollywood and all of that, what we have is Will Smith embarrassing and emasculating another black dude on live TV because of his feelings, and Rock had to suck it up because of a multitude of reasons.

For an awful and insensitive and terrible joke...

That could've been handled between men in a conversation off stage, off camera.

Nah, wasn't a good look for anybody and nobody wins. Will is clearly going through something personal as per his speech, and I *totally* feel him. That speech hit me.

On the other hand? He bullied Chris Rock because he could. That sucks.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of two minds here. On one hand there's a part of me that doesn't like seeing violence.

The other part of me wants to see rich people tear each other limb to limb for my amusement.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Are you really shocked when performative outrage is a fulltime job for a lot of privileged folk?
I guess I shouldn't be, but seeing the way Will's whole family gets talked about I just assumed people would have even a slight bit of sympathy, especially in light of what Chris Rock said. It was one of those moments where I thought "Surely THIS can at least be understood by everyone." I was completely wrong.

It is very curious to me that the people dogging Will Smith for overreacting and handling it wrong are also the same people horribly upset by an entire situation that they can't even begin to fathom the emotions of, involving two people who have both seemingly already moved on from it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But if this wasnt live tv and just at a bar or club, there would've been an actual fight not walking back to your seat then Denzel Washington coming over to hug you. Where's all this talk about the real world, sheltered and privileged play into that?

Yep if this happen in other places chances it would have not end like that .
Most people don't just take a slap to the face even if they in the wrong .
What see here tonight is privileged on display .

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
It's important to note that this whole thing seems to mostly be building on existing beef between Chris Rock and Will & Jada. He's joked about them before, occasionally on the Oscars stage - and it wouldn't be hard to imagine that this is why Smith took this whole thing so personally. It's not just a random standup making a shit joke - it's somebody who does seem to have it out for her to some extent.

It's reasonable to say there isn't anyone else Smith would have slapped for the exact same joke.

It does feel a bit targeted, right? And that's why context matters a bit.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just a few thoughts...

Firstly--from a legal perspective--I don't believe there was a fear or apprehension of receiving bodily harm on the part of Chris Rock, so a case could be made for Battery rather than Assault (but I'm just being pedantic lol: colloquially, most would describe what occurred as "assault").

But in regards to the incident, itself, I must admit to having a somewhat gleeful baseline reaction to witnessing a guy slap the shit out of someone for mocking his wife's baldness: it's the sort of rousing behavior that can propel audiences behind certain archetypes in movies, television, etc... But in the real world? I'm just not willing to fully commit to the idea of championing violence as a response to surface-level insults. I feel like that sort of principle could easily be used to excuse any number of physical altercations, and that's just not something which I'm comfortable aligning myself with.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That's similar to another post earlier in the thread that was like, "If any non-celebrity did this, people would be calling the police."

What fucking world do you live in where anyone would call the police over a slap. Most people aren't calling the police if two dudes get into an actual fight.
I play soccer on Sundays and in my game yesterday, two dudes got tangled up and frustrated and they both full arm extension shoved each other and were both ready to throw hands. The rest of us broke it up quickly and after the game they shook hands and did the typical "my bad about earlier" thing. People act like a slap or a shove is going to land somebody in JAIL and it's absolutely hilarious.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First thread in a while where I've seen some wild ass takes from both sides. From "Will needs to be in prison for attempted murder, he's mentally ill" to "you're white if you don't think physical assault was Will's best response here".

At least the memes are funny. At the end of the day, it's 2 millionaires attacking each other on television.

Nov 11, 2017
This thread confirms to me most of era needs to get out and experience the real world.
This is silly. What happened doesn't have anything to do with the real world. Jada and will Smith are some of the wealthiest and powerful people in Hollywood. He has a lot of responsibility and now just looks like a damn fool blaming what he did on the devil like an 8 year old.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The public stage and celebrity statuses are transforming what would otherwise be a pretty mundane situation into The Discourse Of The Day and that's always kind of obnoxious. Things like this happen in pubs and bars and in public probably ten thousand times a day around the world. Hitting someone is worse than insulting someone, but also Chris Rock has been proving he's a huge asshole for years so he's not really deserving of sympathy either just because he got slapped. It would be no great injustice if Smith got a fine or something, but regardless of his actions Chris should also be getting shat on for delivering his ten millionth shitty insensitive joke.
True, but I think this is closer to rushing the stage at a standup show than slapping someone at a party or a bar. I've seen both, but the latter is way more common, and I'm not sure that I have seen the former where everyone didn't think the dude was acting like an idiot.

Though for real I don't think any of this is a big deal, everyone involve is rich and they will all be fine, and all those big takes are just standing in the way of the memes.

The worst thing to come out of it is the terrible cringey jokes we'll get about it in the next oscars.

Status
Not open for further replies.