• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
FO6JIKzX0AYf_TY.png

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
This thread has it all

-Will smith committing literal murder
-pearl clutching over Nazis
-Armchair assault experts
-Armchair psychologists
-low post accounts JAQing
-wild hypotheticals
-"wait this is fake, right?"
-Memes

This is thread is an all timer

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The two biggest mind blowing things from this thread:
  1. That gamers on a forum would have the audacity to present their Chris Rock defense with some sort of implied understanding of the magnitude of shit Will and Jada get in their lives every single day.
  2. That anyone is more upset about Chris Rock being slapped than Chris Rock.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. I don't care what people say to me or about me and I have enough self confidence to laugh at myself and the situations I'm in.

I couldn't get married before 2015 because of words on paper. Black people in this country are systematically disenfranchised by words and words on paper.

Words are as much violence in this country as guns.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Who says?

I agree with you, but I promise you that there are millions of people in the US alone who would loooooove to smack the everloving shit out of someone speaking anti-Trump or pro-Leftist.

I would understand people smacking people for being pro-Trump as this usually comes with racist, sexist, and transphobic views and rhetoric which does far more damage than Will's slap did to Chris. Words can be violence.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
All these people talking about how Rock deserved to get smacked for saying shit Smith didn't like, I hope the day never comes where you face the same consequences for saying something someone else doesn't like.

You can talk about how Rock "deserved" it, but who gets to decide that? Will Smith? Great. He gets to decide for himself that enough is enough and go swinging.

Next time you're speaking your political opinion or talking about your favorite sports team in public, hopefully you don't feel the same wrath of someone who decides "enough is enough" and takes things into their own hands. This shit happens, and it needs to happen less.
Get some context 🤡

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say Chris got what he deserved because I find it hard to believe he doesn't know about Jada's condition. A fucking low bow to say that to her in front of a global audience as if it was some cute joke.
Yeah we're shocked because these things don't usually happen on TV and we know these things always have some repercussions especially if someone doing the act is black.

But with that being said, again, many people are focusing on the slap, and not the things said to them as a simple "joke".

Don't tell people how they should react, instead teach people how to act right to begin with. Will's reaction makes sense while extreme, but Chris act of making that joke was classes, ablest and misogynist, and anti black while we're at it.

I mean he made a documentary called good hair for crying out loud and did this so he can fuck off.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Is this real life?

Talk shit get hit.

Fuck around and find out.

These sayings exist for a reason.

No one cares what you hypothetically teach your son lol. Imagine thinking that grown ass men can run around saying any bullshit they want with 0 consequences and then alikening it to children who dont have anything resembling a fully developed reasoning system.
Where is the line? Telling a truth that bothers me, get hit? What determines what is talking shit? Where is the line? "You went to far" for one person is a vast delta to another. Don't mention my mother, don't bring up my sister. Where is the specific demarcation point where words suddenly demand violence to anything from a rough push to a punch?

Also if you fucking laugh at the joke first, which Smith did, then get a look from your wife and then go slap out someone on worldwide tv, you're a bitch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
They made fun of LeBron's hairline at the start of the show. Everyone seemed to love that joke. It is the same medical condition.
lol Jesus fuck no do you seriously need the differences between male pattern baldness and alopecia explained to you? Or how women are objectified 24/7 and how full-on hair loss will affect a woman so much worse than a man where baldness is common?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And maybe we should hold celebrities who are being honored in a globally televised ceremony to a slightly higher standard than two random people at a bar. The fact Smith assaulted somebody, and then got a standing ovation for it thirty minutes later isn't exactly wonderful optics for anyone involved.

Or maybe celebrities have a point like any normal person where you can shit on them only so long before they decide "you know what, fuck you".

Will Smith and his wife have been taking continual shots for what seems like the better part of a couple of years now, I'm just saying you want to disrespect a grown man's wife over a medical condition, I'm not going to be all that surprised if someone catches a smack in the face.

Just because you're "famous" doesn't make you a robot.

Oct 29, 2017
All these people talking about how Rock deserved to get smacked for saying shit Smith didn't like, I hope the day never comes where you face the same consequences for saying something someone else doesn't like.

You can talk about how Rock "deserved" it, but who gets to decide that? Will Smith? Great. He gets to decide for himself that enough is enough and go swinging.

Next time you're speaking your political opinion or talking about your favorite sports team in public, hopefully you don't feel the same wrath of someone who decides "enough is enough" and takes things into their own hands. This shit happens, and it needs to happen less.

Sports discussions aren't even in the same realm as making fun of a woman's illness that affects her hair, something heavily tied to identity and culture and is deeply personal. And it's the second time he's done it, too.

People need to take this self righteous shock elsewhere, I am not surprised that Will slapped him for this. At all. And it's not like he decked him, or injured him in any real way.

He slapped him and walked off, Chris' ego is more bruised than his face.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to me seeing people say this is toxic masculinity. Slapping people for saying shit about loved ones is a human thing, not a men thing. Have you guys seriously never seen a woman slap the shit out of someone for insulting a loved one?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It is what it is, but that doesn't mean it's good to encourage it. I don't see people slapping each other in my life and I think that's a good thing.
This is kinda false. Yes you don't see people slapping each other on the streets because people normally dont joke about each other's wives. I will guarantee you lot of brawls have had happened because some guy made fun of some other guy's wife, especially when she was suffering from a terrible medical condition.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Where is the line? Telling a truth that bothers me, get hit? What determines what is talking shit? Where is the line? "You went to far" for one person is a vast delta to another. Don't mention my mother, don't bring up my sister. Where is the specific demarcation point where words suddenly demand violence to anything from a rough push to a punch?

Also if you fucking laugh at the joke first, which Smith did, then get a look from your wife and then go slap out someone on worldwide tv, you're a bitch.
How do the takes keep getting worse? Wtf?

It has been explained dozens of times now why Will Smith was likely laughing and then reacted. And calling him a bitch? Get the fuck out of here.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just catching up to this since I've been out all night, but the sheltered ass takes in this thread lmao

Talk shit, get hit.
The joke was shit and not even funny but to react like he did is so ridiculous and trashy.

this is the oscar's. lame jabs at the audience's expense are historically part of the show's DNA and yet Smith is the first person in history to react like this.

It's tacky.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those situations where I absolutely don't care what white people have to say about it.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why the fuck are people going on about gun violence and shit now?

Jesus Christ, it's simple. Chris rock told a shit joke. Will smith reacted in shit way. That's it. That's the point. Now you have everyone taking sides , saying rock deserved it and that's where these things become bigger society problems.

In the context of a shit joke, you can "defend" you family in a way that isn't going stage and hitting someone.

Y'all can take this line of thinking and directly apply it to shit like domestic violence. "Oh well his or her wife or husband said something mean so they deserved to get hit". Nah, get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

You see the irony here, right?

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
lol Jesus fuck no do you seriously need the differences between male pattern baldness and alopecia explained to you? Or how women are objectified 24/7 and how full-on hair loss will affect a woman so much worse than a man where baldness is common?

Where did I say any of that? They both impact your hair. Both are shitty jokes.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to a Trumper or a Red Sox fan as they're beating the shit out of you for speaking against their gods.
my dude I hate to tell you this but

chances are they've very likely witnessed or been a participant to this kind of situation already like a lot of other Americans

like it's why half of this thread is just baffled at people like you, because this type of situation and the surrounding societal context for it to be somewhat acceptable already broadly exists in a lot of America.

You best believe in an America where low grade socially acceptable violence has been normalized among large parts of the population for decades, if not centuries: you're already living in it!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020

I don't appreciate having my misery minimized. Because I took it pretty fucking hard when I lost my hair. Basically lost a decade of my life.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Really. Is someone joking about your wife in a bar worthy of being king hit as well? What if he hits his head on the ground and dies? Kinda had it coming didn't he.
We have spent so much time trying to tell kids that violence isn't the answer, that you just can't hit someone because they say something you don't like, and then people go and say this was the right thing. Wow
You have to understand that by teaching kids "violence isn't the answer", we just teach them to find other ways to put others down. Sometimes you need to use another method to get your point across. A method that is surprisingly effective.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly not a Nicaraguan Oscar party at my house goes by without at least two of my family members getting killed.

White folks loll

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
Like, dude got gently slapped, he didn't get cold cocked lol, there is such a massive fucking difference between what happened tonight and an actual fistfight (which is scary and messy and dangerous). The conflation of the two by the always online crowd is so telling.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's not possible to make a line.

But it's possible to say that a specific situation is on the "it's okay to slap a man" side of the line. Making fun of someone's medical condition is one of those situations.

Ah, there it is. The casual sexism.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
So is this some kind of staged reference to King Richard? Chris Rock didn't seem that fazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.