• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for Fox News and other conservatives to act tomorrow like Will took a crowbar to Chris or something...

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
"Personally, I think charges should be filed against Will Smith over this deranged act of madness. It's just a joke, after all."

SK4Ccnz.gif

The gift that keeps on giving.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
A poor person doesn't get to walk back up to the stage 30 minutes and make a speech to roaring applause.

Rock's joke was tasteless/over the line but Smith also a trillion percent in the wrong, which is about all there is to say about it.
A poor person wouldn't be at the Oscars.

A poor person at a poor person event smacking the shit out of another poor person for talking mess about their wife has a 50/50 chance of being arrested or applauded.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Any money Chris Rock would win in a lawsuit would pale in comparison to the earnings he's going to get using this as a bit in his specials. He's probably on the phone with Netflix right now. Him and Will probably post a selfie together by the end of the week and he'll be on Red Table Talk.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly the way people are reacting to this all over, you'd think Will knocked Chris the fuck out but it was just a slap.
Not excusing it but c'mon, his life was not in danger. I've seen some people on Twitter equating this to spousal abuse which is so weird.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
White people overreacting doesn't make what he did make any more sense, he could have done it any other time or place, but on stage of a nationally broadcasted event? And over that mild ass joke no one would've even given a second thought if not for the slap? Dumb.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
The truly upsetting part about all this pearl clutching is that I know a good bit of it is because certain people thought of Will Smith as "one of the good ones". I see through that bullshit.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lame joke but Will overreacted.

If this was an accepted thing all comedians would be dead and we would all be in jail.
I don't think anyone should be making fun of people at all. Regardless of who they are.
Even if this whole thing didn't happen, it would have been an unfunny and lame joke dunking on someone.

I think we could use a little less of that in our limited time on earth

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
The speech after winning the Oscar was so bad: all the shit about God commanding to spread the love by defending the family while bawling your eyes out just after having slapped someone. And then he apologized to the Acadamy, but not to Chris Rock himself? Dude had the opportunity to keep some dignity, but that was just a train wreck to watch. Felt like a therapy sitting and not like a moment of an Award show.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
That Judd Apatow tweet, lol

Is it?

I thought it was a false rumor, yeah.

How hard is it to do even the slightest amount of research:

www.usatoday.com

Jada Pinkett Smith ends feud with Leah Remini over Scientology: It was 'really emotional'

Jada Pinkett Smith and Leah Remini reportedly make up during an episode of "Red Table Talk," a show hosted by Pinkett Smith with her mom and daughter.

en.wikipedia.org

Will Smith - Wikipedia

The amount of chucklefuckery on here sometimes is mind blowing.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so I had absolutely no idea about the other subtext to all of this with Will and Jada having previously an open marriage (but now apparently monogamous again?). So many layers to this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the way people are reacting over this, you'd think Will knocked Chris the fuck out but it was just a slap

It's unbelievable. Like if Will fuckin' falcon punched Chris and knocked him on his ass on stage, okay.

But it was an open-hand slap and Chris was joking about it within seconds.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
YamchasRevenge
Since i know I won't get an answer. I didn't say he was racist, he is a super white dude, that make super white movies, with super white casts. He doesn't engage with blackness either because he doesn't want to and because he doesn't have to. So he doesn't know the cultural and societal issues around black women and hair. And also dealing with a medical issue.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that feels like both Will Smith and Chris Rock emerge from this altercation looking like decent people? Smith had an emotional, but ultimately human, moment and is clearly remorseful. Rock got checked, didn't escalate, and remained professional as fuck. Props to both of them. If they feel like this is over surely we can all move on, right?
i wouldn't even be surprised to see them being friendly by the end of the week lol

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Both were wrong. Neither actions can be defended. Also there is no excuse for violence. This could have been settled after the Oscars between the two of them privately. They should've talked it out.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure rock and smith are the most ready to move on out of everyone on the planet. everyone else is frothing at the mouth to talk about it.

Yeah, it was terrible joke that people would have forgotten 3 seconds after it was said. Now the world is going to have Jada's name in their mouths for a week, discussing (and joking) about her condition.

85 lol

Banned
Feb 14, 2022
Do people know how many serious injuries including death have happened because a guy decided to defend his partners honour by attacking someone? I have seen guys acting up in a bar, accidentally spill some beer on a woman, not apologise and then get king hit by her BF, knocked out clean and convulsions. It's against the law, it's wrong and shouldn't be supported.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Will was unhinged there. I guess since there was probably history between all of them it made things worse but can't get up there on live TV and smack Rock. Not a good look at all. Would've thought it was staged just to get people talking but with Will cussing and both of them kinda getting nothing out of it I doubt it. Hopefully they can sort of patch things up sooner rather than later.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Insults about your wife's disease infront of millions seems slap worthy.
There's so many layers to this thing that people insist on peeling away to make reductive comparisons
1. The nature of the joke
2. The audience (millions of people)
3. Rock's previous comments mocking Jada
4. Smiths decision to go for a slap instead of a punch

Those are just the easy ones.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
The speech after winning the Oscar was so bad: all the shit about God commanding to spread the love by defending the family while bawling your eyes out just after having slapped someone. And then he apologized to the Acadamy, but not to Chris Rock himself? Dude had the opportunity to keep some dignity, but that was just a train wreck to watch. Felt like a therapy sitting and not like a moment of an Award show.

The speech is also bullshit because Will Smith isn't even Christian. He's a fucking Scientologist.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also amazing how some posters think they're slick bringing up Will and Jada's marriage arrangement/situation as if that has anything to do with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.