• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The context- guy being losing his cool seeing his wife being ridiculed for a medical condition. That's not really fascinating.

The environment- a televised gathering a bunch of well-dressed rich MFers, many of whom do worse shit behind closed doors than slap people disrespectful people in public.

Look, I get why it was talk of the world on day 1. For the same reason a brawl at the local fair would make its rounds on tic tok and Twitter.

But I don't get people being so trigger by it, and still clutching their pearls after all this time. A guy just slapped another guy. People are acting like Will beat Chis to a pulp and pissed on him.

The more time passes the less remarkable the entire ordeal seems. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I mean, this seems incredibly myopic. I understand why you might not care about it personally (and I don't particularly disagree with you on that level), but Rock and Smith aren't two regular guys, the reach of the Oscars can't be reasonably compared to a random sidewalk brawl, and millions of people were, at the same time, surprised and shocked by something that had never really happened before and which they could never have been expecting.

That is going to leave an impact on a lot of people. Again, not you apparently, but it's not hard to understand why that could be the case for others.

The other issues Slayven brought also play into this for sure, but even if we ignore those none of this is really surprising.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Comedians making jokes."

Also, "She should stand up for herself" while you just look on dumbstruck.

And, "If I didn't KNOW she has epilepsy, then anything I say about her is obviously less harmful to her."

Did I get them all? Feels like I missed one.
Yeah thats pretty much the basis they're using on Jada here. Like I just don't get what's so fucking hard. The same people are going on about Will 'coming to his senses' etc for saying sorry and yet got a million reasons Chris will never have to. Yes let's have the man apologise the man. Let's however not have the man apologise to the woman. He apparently owes her nothing

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this seems incredibly myopic. I understand why you might not care about it personally (and I don't particularly disagree with you on that level), but Rock and Smith aren't two regular guys, the reach of the Oscars can't be reasonably compared to a random sidewalk brawl, and millions of people were, at the same time, surprised and shocked by something that had never really happened before and which they could never have been expecting.

That is going to leave an impact on a lot of people. Again, not you apparently, but it's not hard to understand why that could be the case for others.

The other issues Slayven brought also play into this for sure, but even if we ignore those none of this is really surprising.

Them not being "regular" guys doesn't not make one slapping the other more surprising to me. Because even people who acquire fame can get emotional and lose their cool. They ARE regular in that sense. It even makes sense to me that someone who's lived in public might find have fewer inhibitions to acting out in a public space when they get overwhelmed emotionally.

I'm not comparing a regular brawl to an Oscar slap in terms of scope- I'm saying people who witness these things will reasonably be shocked initially, and have discussions in the wake. The Oscar's will naturally have more people discussing and a bigger wake.

But "impact"? No I can't wrap my head around why some regular 9-5 Joe/Jane would be "impacted" by one elite slapping another on TV for any appreciable amount of time. Tbh, it really is hard for me to understand - especially w/o framing it like Slayven did.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But "impact"? No I can't wrap my head around why some regular 9-5 Joe/Jane would be "impacted" by one elite slapping another on TV for any appreciable amount of time.
I think that's the issue right there. Smith is not just some "elite." He was, for over 20 years, one of (and sometimes perhaps the) most well-known and well-liked person on the planet.

If he is just some guy to you and you can't understand that many, many others feel very differently about him, then, yeah. You just might not be able to get it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think that's the issue right there. Smith is not just some "elite." He was, for over 20 years, one of (and sometimes perhaps the) most well-known and well-liked person on the planet.

If he is just some guy to you and you can't understand that many, many others feel very differently about him, then, yeah. You just might not be able to get it.
This excuse sounds a lot like this to be honest even if you don't mean it to be.

The only reason this is still a thing is because whites got terrified that one of the few niggas they actually felt safe around got too violent for them.

His reputation previously does not magically change his state of mind. He is not a robot. He is entitled to human emotions and someone publicly attacking your partner in front of millions of people is worth a serious reaction.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This excuse sounds a lot like this to be honest even if you don't mean it to be.

His reputation previously does not magically change his state of mind. He is not a robot. He is entitled to human emotions and someone publicly attacking your partner in front of millions of people is worth a serious reaction.
I…ok?

I never said he wasn't. I was saying why this event caused so much public interest and made such a big impression on people. I didn't say anything about, or pass any judgement on, Smith's actions themselves, or his state of mind, or his right to human emotions.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Right I can't get it.

I'm one of the people who liked and like Will Smith.

As a fellow Human being, Him getting emotional enough to slap a guy is whos making fun of his wife's medical condition is not impactful to me… him being a likeable celebrity, doesn't change the fact that he's a flawed person, just like the anyone else… and IMO that moment isn't reasonably impactful in relation to the multiple decades he's entertained w/o slapping people in public.

Yes, I'm simply unable to get it. That's the point I'm making in my post. I can't wrap my head around why people are so triggered by this incident… except when I entertain the idea that maybe people's safe black guy isn't so safe any more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I get that, but you specifically brought up his career and previous behavior. Then you used that as a way to explain why people were upset or shocked by his justifiable behavior. Once again regardless of his public persona or what people thought of him before he is not a robot.

Looking at this event and saying "God this guy was so nice and so good before now! Clearly we should all be shocked by his behavior as a result!" is nonsense. Anyone and everyone has a breaking point regardless of bank account or public persona. That breaking point gets a lot closer the closer you get to loved ones and family. I don't care who you are.

Will Smith is entitled to his emotions and his reactions. His public persona that the public have built up over the years doesn't matter and does not get to be held against him.
Again, I am not holding anything against him, and I am not saying anything should be held against him.

But the fact that he is Will Smith, that the other guy was Chris Rock, and that this happened at the Oscars, live, in front of millions of people, are all factors that drastically amplify the number of people that will have their own reactions to what happened, and the strength of those reactions.

You can say that's inappropriate or unfair or unjust, and yeah, of course it is. But that unfortunate truth doesn't actually change anything about what I said, which was simply I am not surprised this event has had such an impact. That it really shouldn't is also completely true.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Matt
Ignore me. It's 7am here, I have had a few drinks, and I completely misunderstood everything you said. I need to go to bed.

EDIT: You beat me. I deleted my post. I'm sorry for my stupidity here. That is 100% my own idiocy here.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Chris rock : I am not ready to talk about this now.

Will: we'll I'm gon talk.

Chris Rock: 🫤

Will Smith hurt himself more than he hurt Chris Rock with that slap.

Chris Rock doesn't need to say anything, because Will took his apology from him with the palm of his hand on stage.

I do think, however, that Will's apology is him tossing the ball to Rock anyways.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really surprised seeing a lot of comments on this post supporting Will's actions. You lot really think physical violence was the right solution to this? Whether Chris was right or wrong in saying that joke, physical violence isn't the answer.

Considering this is a very liberal & left leaning forum I'm very surprised to not only see the comments from regular users but also the fact that the mods seem to be endorsing it too

Era is basically the only place I see people defending Will, and you know how detached Era is from the real world despite them telling you to live in the real world.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Era is basically the only place I see people defending Will, and you know how detached Era is from the real world despite them telling you to live in the real world.
Yep, accurate in my life too. Probably some on twitter too but this is the only place I see people in large amounts defending Will's assault on Chris.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Anecdotes.

Most people I encounter IRL don't really care about any of this beyond finding it slightly shocking and humorous back when it happened.

i see a lot of media personalities who are extremely bothered by the incident, and then I see pockets of people on social media (including resetera) who seem deeply impacted, offset by people who don't see it as a huge deal and a very small set of people who actually think Wills actions were justified.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Will Smith hurt himself more than he hurt Chris Rock with that slap.

Chris Rock doesn't need to say anything, because Will took his apology from him with the palm of his hand on stage.

I do think, however, that Will's apology is him tossing the ball to Rock anyways.
I expect Rock will continue to ignore Will's requests for closure. Maybe he'll surprise us, but based on what Will said about Tony, I doubt that's gonna happen. Sounds like the Rock family is dug in.

Anecdotes.

Most people I encounter IRL don't really care about any of this beyond finding it slightly shocking and humorous back when it happened.

Same. It was an interesting story for a day or two, and everyone agreed Will was an idiot for doing it, but it shouldn't be career ending.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading through here this morning... I love being called a pearl clutcher. It's embarrassing. Laying hands on someone has never been tolerated in society, it's why we have laws, and clearly, Will Smith is paying for it right now with his career. Again, this isn't some Friday night bar fight, this was two public figures being watched by millions., in an industry where there is a lot of risks and they invest millions into their stars. I can see why he's not getting work or not the work that he wants, he interrupted a live production, the biggest live production of the year in Hollywood. I can't imagine that went over well in the industry, even if his anger was justified.

Will and Jada Smith have plenty of goodwill with the public, and I imagine have (had?) quite a bit of pull in Hollywood. If he had kept his cool and they had addressed it either privately or opened up to the public on social media about Rock's demeaning joke I think things would have turned out much differently, and we wouldn't be here going around and around calling each other names on a message board.

I think his apology is genuine. I can't imagine it's easy to do what he did, especially when Chris still hasn't apologized to Jada. I don't think this should impact his family, they did nothing, one of them as pointed out many times is the victim in all of this. Chris should apologize to Jada and maybe we can end this. None of this is a binary choice, we can blame both parties because they both were in the wrong.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Just reading through here this morning... I love being called a pearl clutcher. It's embarrassing. Laying hands on someone has never been tolerated in society.

Yes it has. It is now as well. It makes no sense to say this especially in a society like the US which uses massive amounts of state violence.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Please go read a history book, ANY history book, then come back.
I'm talking about our western society. Not in a historical context. You can't smack people in public and not face charges if said person presses charges. You WILL lose your job if you do it on the clock. Even if it was justified.

It's not simply a cultural thing. Violence has been and is a part of every culture, sadly.
That's true.

Last edited:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Laying hands on someone has never been tolerated in society
That is patently untrue. Countries spend billions on platforming war, advocate for people to own guns, people cheer when we punch neo-Nazis and transphobic pieces of shit, or get mad when the cops don't kill a mass shooter. We see laws change and get stronger or looser, people who get sent to prison or let off for the same crimes of physical assault.

Violence tolerance is inconsistent in our world, and it is always nuanced. Even this situation has its own nuances.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I'm talking about modern society. You can't smack people in public and not face charges is said person presses charges. At least here in Canada. Of course violence is justified in overthrowing regimes.

I'm willing to bet it happens all the time in Canada without folks facing charges.

The idea that all violence includes negative consequences such as charges/jail time isn't reality.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of opinions on this which was hard to describe in words but then Kareem released his piece which lines up to my thoughts the most.

What Will did was wrong. Will has acknowledged that It was wrong. Jada already mentioned that she wished he didn't do it. It's doesn't matter anymore what you or me think.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
LMFAO please stop, it's just embarrassing now.
What's so embarrassing? I'm not American but here' s the definition of assault in Canada.

You cannot lay hands on someone here unless you can prove it was in self-defense. Words cannot be used to justify assault in court unless you can prove it was in self defense. I don't know how much more explicit I have to be here but keep laughing. By the legal definition, Will Smith assaulted Rock. Anytime anyone lays hands on someone its assault, whether it's reported or not. Christ this is tiring.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading through here this morning... I love being called a pearl clutcher. It's embarrassing. Laying hands on someone has never been tolerated in society, it's why we have laws, and clearly, Will Smith is paying for it right now with his career. Again, this isn't some Friday night bar fight, this was two public figures being watched by millions., in an industry where there is a lot of risks and they invest millions into their stars. I can see why he's not getting work or not the work that he wants, he interrupted a live production, the biggest live production of the year in Hollywood. I can't imagine that went over well in the industry, even if his anger was justified.

Will and Jada Smith have plenty of goodwill with the public, and I imagine have (had?) quite a bit of pull in Hollywood. If he had kept his cool and they had addressed it either privately or opened up to the public on social media about Rock's demeaning joke I think things would have turned out much differently, and we wouldn't be here going around and around calling each other names on a message board.

I think his apology is genuine. I can't imagine it's easy to do what he did, especially when Chris still hasn't apologized to Jada. I don't think this should impact his family, they did nothing, one of them as pointed out many times is the victim in all of this. Chris should apologize to Jada and maybe we can end this. None of this is a binary choice, we can blame both parties because they both were in the wrong.

This is America… you really going to pretend that laying hands on someone crosses the threshold of what's "tolerable" in this society?

Beyond that… won't anyone think of those poor millionaire investments?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You cannot lay hands on someone here unless you can prove it was in self-defense. Words cannot be used to justify assault in court unless you can prove it was in self defense. I don't know how much more explicit I have to be here but keep laughing. By the legal definition, Will Smith assaulted Rock. Anytime anyone lays hands on someone its assault, whether it's reported or not. Christ this is tiring.
Legality and morality are two different things, idk what the law has to do with anything

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
This is America… you really going to pretend that laying hands on someone crosses the threshold of what's "tolerable" in this society?

Beyond that… won't anyone think of those poor millionaire investments?
It clearly wasnt' tolerable because Will Smith is still apologizing. Why are we even arguing about this?

Legality and morality are two different things, idk what the law has to do with anything
Well if society doesn't deem it morally right it makes sense they would codify it into law?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It clearly wasnt' tolerable because Will Smith is still apologizing. Why are we even arguing about this?

Well if society doesn't deem it morally right it makes sense they would codify it into law?

He's apologizing because it was… a poor emotional response and he recognizes that. And he's apologizing publicly because this is all being repackaged for consumption as a commodity.

I'm not sure how you quantify "tolerable." No one got arrested/charged/fined. Chris Rock refuses to be viewed as a victim.

This slap is small beans on the scale of violence that is tolerated in this country planet on a daily basis. Making it out to be an earth shattering moment that defies the progress of western society is laughable.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, laws are not always well intentioned based around the will of the people. For example, theft is against the law full-stop, so someone stealing food to survive is just as guilty as someone who steals just because they like stealing. Or you can look at anti-abortion legislation, where most people in the US are pro-choice, or pornography/obscenity laws because white Christians hold a lot of sway over the culture.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
He's apologizing because it was… a poor emotional response and he recognizes that.

I'm not sure how you quantify "tolerable." No one got arrested/charged/fined. Chris Rock refuses to be victimized.
This slap is small beans on the scale of violence that is tolerated in this country on a daily basis.
Fuck it was the wrong word and now y'all jumping on me. I was just expressing why he got in shit. The slap is small beans in the grand scheme of things.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
At this point I need to know what thread some of y'all are reading.

Because there's this dogged attempt going on to paint everyone who's contextualizing the slap as "defending" it, when I actually see very little of that, especially at this point in the thread.

And that's another problem with how topics largely involving Black people get discussed on this board. Nuance is never, EVER allowed.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it was the wrong word and now y'all jumping on me. I was just expressing why he got in shit. The slap is small beans in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not meaning to pile on. I started my response before seeing that other people responded to you.

That said, I do think much of the hooplah surrounding the incident amounts to pearl clutching. The "prestige" of the event, the money on display and at risk, the number of viewers… none of that changes the fact that humans are fallible. Even one of the most famously charismatic people on the planet can let emotions get the best of them during an inopportune moment.

Yes this incident is different from a bar fight between randos, but on a human level, it shouldn't be treated differently. Elevating celebrities into these god-like figures then tearing them down when they show signs of having the same imperfections you might expect out of some rando at the bar, is problematic, imo. They were never gods, they were always imperfect, but they get paid to put on a 24/7 show.

And I can't shake that it's happening to a black man who's been a stand-up guy in public for over 2 decades.

I dunno, maybe I am being myopic. But to me the Oscar's isn't some beacon of model behavior. It's a just a bunch of elites wearing fake smiles, patting each other on the back while commoners marvel at their expensive attire. I just can't really care that one slapped another in response to a humiliating joke. That 2 minute interaction was just a crack in the veneer.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021

Categorizing your statements as "pearl clutching" is just straight up weak and lazy.

Pearl clutchers are the sad group of people who look at the situation and still think Will is a threat, but I'm guessing most of them instinctively thought that before this situation.

Will should apologize next for turning Chris into a sympathetic character.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I took offense to some of the pearl-clutching comments from yesterday. I didn't intend to derail this thread any further. I just wanted to express, which I did poorly, why Will Smith's reaction got him in shit, and my wording should have been better. Again I apologize. Sorry y'all.

I'm not meaning to pile on. I started my response before seeing that other people responded to you.

That said, I do think much of the hooplah surrounding the incident amounts to pearl clutching. The "prestige" of the event, the money on display and at risk, the number of viewers… none of that changes the fact that humans are fallible. Even one of the most famously charismatic people on the planet can let emotions get the best of them during an inopportune moment.

Yes this incident is different from a bar fight between randos, but on a human level, it shouldn't be treated differently. Elevating celebrities into these god-like figures then tearing them down when they show signs of having the same imperfections you might expect out of some rando at the bar, is problematic, imo. And I can't shake that it's happening to a black man who's been a stand-up guy in public for over 2 decades.
It was a really human moment by Will Smith. I've been where he was.

He will be back. He's too good to not be working. I think he had his time out and he'll be back working soon. I obviously don't know him but he seems genuine and he's so damn likable. It's infectious.

edit: accidentally hit post before finishing my thought.

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
At this point I need to know what thread some of y'all are reading.

Because there's this dogged attempt going on to paint everyone who's contextualizing the slap as "defending" it, when I actually see very little of that, especially at this point in the thread.

And that's another problem with how topics largely involving Black people get discussed on this board. Nuance is never, EVER allowed.
I was going to say it's because those people don't want to have the conversation about what Chris Rock said, but it's more than that. Those people don't want anyone having that conversation. I asked why the "joke" was okay, and the only response I got (assuming someone I've previously muted hasn't responded) was "it doesn't matter" followed by an attempt to recontextualize my question into a conversation about why Will's violence wasn't the answer.