• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
I'm actually really surprised seeing a lot of comments on this post supporting Will's actions. You lot really think physical violence was the right solution to this? Whether Chris was right or wrong in saying that joke, physical violence isn't the answer.

Considering this is a very liberal & left leaning forum I'm very surprised to not only see the comments from regular users but also the fact that the mods seem to be endorsing it too

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I'm actually really surprised seeing a lot of comments on this post supporting Will's actions. You lot really think physical violence was the right solution to this? Whether Chris was right or wrong in saying that joke, physical violence isn't the answer.

Considering this is a very liberal & left leaning forum I'm very surprised to not only see the comments from regular users but also the fact that the mods seem to be endorsing it too

First off: lol

Second off, there's a difference between thinking that Smith did everything right and being fine that Rock got slapped. This whole "violence is never the answer" nonsense is only ever naive and hypocritical, and several posters have explained this very well if you can be bothered to go back and actually read through the thread instead of regurgitating this tired, eye-rolling take.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Slapping someone is wrong.
Standing up for someone you love despite peer/societal pressue is good.

He should have walked up to him and just say that this joke sucked and that Chris of all people should know better, since he made a whole movie about women's hair and just walked back to his seat.
This is 100% the way to go. He could have used the Oscars to tell everyone what a shitty thing Rock did and what a shitty person he is for it . And in that why put Chris down while still maintaining Oscar winner status. The fact that he choose violence instead...

Feb 16, 2022
First off: lol

Second off, there's a difference between thinking that Smith did everything right and being fine that Rock got slapped. This whole "violence is never the answer" nonsense is only ever naive and hypocritical, and several posters have explained this very well if you can be bothered to go back and actually read through the thread instead of regurgitating this tired, eye-rolling take.
We've had this same debate in the previous 3-4 threads that were made during and after the incident. Yet it's always the same people spouting the "violence is never the answer" rhetoric again and again.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
We can't know what was in Will's head, etc and it's been pointed out that people laugh when they're nervous or heated but I've wondered if he was further upset by the fact he did laugh at first, saw how much it hurt his wife, and then that kinda stoked it further. I know that I become the angriest when it's directed at myself. That's beside the point - just something I thought of.

I've been thinking about this more since I can't sleep. I mentioned in the initial post about this that my mother suffers from alopecia due to some unfortunate hair coloring chemical experimentation when she was a hairstylist in the late 80s/early 90s. If someone publically, worldwide, humiliated her about it, I couldn't be sure how I'd react. All this, on top of the nuance about black culture/women that has been pointed out, makes me at least feel full sympathy for Will and Jada. Chris didn't deserve to be slapped, but Jada didn't deserve that either. It's hard to reconcile both of those opinions.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Fair play to him for apologizing because he was way out of line. I've had people say worse things about members of my family but I didn't slap them. I'm baffled by the people here defending him. Especially at a type of work event if anyone reacted like that they'd be fired. It isn't normal behavior.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because some users here are living in the real world, and they know how things goes. If i talk shit about the wife of someone, i expect some punches to be thrown.

That situation is pretty simple. You can say that Will went to far, but you can also understand that Chris had it coming. Has nothing to do with being liberal & left leaning. Boundaries exists for a reason.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
We've had this same debate in the previous 3-4 threads that were made during and after the incident. Yet it's always the same people spouting the "violence is never the answer" rhetoric again and again.
I mean the thing is that most of the people who think Will did the wrong thing in this thread are saying that violence wasn't the answer in this situation, not that it's never the answer.

It's an important distinction but I understand why it's an inconvenient one to address.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because some users here are living in the real world, and they know how things goes. If i talk shit about the wife of someone, i expect some punches to be thrown.

That situation is pretty simple. You can say that Will went to far, but you can also understand that Chris had it coming. Has nothing to do with being liberal & left leaning. Boundaries exists for a reason.
'This sucks! Guess that gives me an excuse to continue the thing that sucks! There is absolutely nothing we can do about it!'

If only we could chance this vicious cycle.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
My thing is he should've cussed him out in public then hit him backstage. That way everyone knows it happened and Chris Rock gets shit on less.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

This. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is either just doing it to be a contrarian or has lived an extremely sheltered or privileged life in my opinion. The defense force that pops up for these assholes in the "people who get what they deserve" threads when they pop up is one of Era's more embarrassing habits. The first time I really noticed it was the thread about the lady on the bus who got got because she threw around the N-Word. People lined up with "no violence please!" takes. It hasn't gotten any better since as far as I can tell. Every time someone gets themselves into a situation and then gets a real world answer to that situation at least one person has to line up to defend them.

"Violence is never the answer!" is a cute outlook to have, but it doesn't work when set up against real situations and real people. I think everyone agrees that what Will did was objectively wrong, but trying to pretend that Rock didn't deserve it? Or to downplay just how hateful his comment was? Or to say that someone defending a loved one from insults is "toxic" or a sign of "something much worse"? Come on now. That is just ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh and just because someone understands why Will did what he did and are willing to not be that harsh on him is not the same as thinking what Will did wasn't wrong in the first place. I have seen that take thrown around far more often than I could count.

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm so sorry for these super rich people, must be really hard to get through all that suffering. Both giving and receiving a slap, truly something world-moving that has changed forever their rich lives, and that was rightfully discussed for months by millions of people.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry for these super rich people, must be really hard to get through all that suffering. Both giving and receiving a slap, truly something world-moving that has changed forever their rich lives, and that was rightfully discussed for months by millions of people.
Yeah I don't get the obsession with celebs. Live your lives people, and eat the rich.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me it isn't the fact that Will hit somebody, it's the fact that people on here are extrapolating that this is some severe "warning sign" of his mental state and maturity as if he isn't a human being with moments of weakness. Or that these users are above such behaviors and thus ride on some high horse to make themselves feel qualified to speak about and judge Will's actions. Or going off about "work" as though the Oscars isn't some big ass party where people get high and drunk and spend the night dick waving about their accomplishments.

It's a weird sort of virtue signaling and it doesn't make you look like the better person. You just seem weird and naive at best and borderline dogwhistle-y for speaking about violence and mental health about a black person with phrasing that a lot of racists would employ at worst.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Once again zero blame is being placed on Rock, when we know damn well he went off script. What Will did was wrong, but in my eyes what Rock did was just as bad. Shit on Will if you want, but don't pretend like Rock was innocent and that it's his god given right to shit on people.

Black Hollywood is small enough. You don't do shit like this (and yes, this applies to Will too but he wasn't the one who started it). Rock's been hounding Jada for years like a rejected reddit incel.

And enough of this "violence is never the answer" bs. Fucking hypocrites lol.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
EDIT: Oh and just because someone understands why Will did what he did and are willing to not be that harsh on him is not the same as thinking what Will did wasn't wrong in the first place. I have seen that take thrown around far more often than I could count.
So? Is the only acceptable take to condone what Smith did unconditionally?
For me it isn't the fact that Will hit somebody, it's the fact that people on here are extrapolating that this is some severe "warning sign" of his mental state and maturity as if he isn't a human being with moments of weakness.
This, I agree with. He snapped and did something awful but I don't think it's ok to diagnose it as a symptom of a bigger issue.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's so wild that people are so triggered by Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

Yeah, slapping someone is a poor response to being upset, but it's not some alien emotional response. He saw his wife being publicly humiliated and lost his cool.

I can't wrap my head around why people care so much about this incident… like, why is it earth shattering? Guy got upset and slapped another guy. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So? Is the only acceptable take to condone what Smith did unconditionally?
Condoning is not the same thing as understanding. You can understand why someone did what they did and still realize it was objectively wrong.

Some of you though are being absolutely absurd with your condemnation of what happened. Acting like he hit him with a fucking chair instead of a simple slap and walking away.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe people are advocating for physical violence here, especially at a publicly broadcasted event. And your excuses about "living in the real world" are BS, this is what causes the cycle of toxicity to go on and on.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
One that thing i think is barely touched on is Chris Rock made this
51D76G05XQL.jpg

Then went on to attack a black woman about her hair. That is like Jon Stewart spitting on 9/11 first responder. That shit told me a lot about chris more than will slapping him

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm hoping Chris apologized to Jada first. Because I personally wouldn't be sorry for shit until you apologized for what you said about my wife. Black folks know Chris Rock was asking for that slap with his comments. Good on Will though so white people will accept him again.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
51D76G05XQL.jpg

Then went on to attack a black woman about her hair. That is like Jon Stewart spitting on 9/11 first responder. That shit told me a lot about chris more than will slapping him
Bingo.

Anyone trying to say Rock didn't know what he was doing is proven wrong by that fact alone.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
This is where it really gets absurd. "Publicly shaming a woman with a disease"...

Give me a fucking break. There was no shaming whatsoever.
Why would rock spends months making a docu about the impacts of hair on women of color, just to shit on a woman of color using her hair? Make it make sense

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
51D76G05XQL.jpg

Barely touched on? It's mentioned constantly.

I don't understand why some people think it's some sort of silver bullet. People are suggesting that him making the joke after making this movie somehow makes him a worse person but.... he made the movie in the first place?

Doesn't that suggest he has more compassion for black women around their hair than the average person, therefore making it less likely that he was maliciously mocking Jada's alopecia and instead just made a shitty joke?

Nah, he knew, and took that moment to deliberately put a woman down for having a disease outside of her control. That makes way more sense.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Another thing, Mel"I hope you get raped by a pack of niggers" Gibson was like in the second row. That alone makes all this Hollywood outrage ring hollow
Oh absolutely. That should be #1 argument against any of this shit, but people need to focus on imagined arguments of toxicity and abuse or saintly tears of non-violence.

I don't think that any topics have ever made Era show its ass more than these threads where someone gets their due process. Unless I have blocked something out at some point.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why some people think it's some sort of silver bullet. People are suggesting that him making the joke after making this movie somehow makes him a worse person but.... he made the movie in the first place?

Doesn't that suggest he has more compassion for black women around their hair than the average person, therefore making it less likely that he was maliciously mocking Jada's alopecia and instead just made a shitty joke?

Nah, he knew, and took that moment to deliberately put a woman down for having a disease outside of her control. That makes way more sense.
Yes it does make him a terrible person. I mean come on a Gi Jane joke? Clearly he was just digging for something for a vehicle to take a shot.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. It does. Because as its been mentioned about hundred fucking times now he has been making jokes at her expense for literally YEARS. He made an entire documentary over black women's hair and its importance to them. Yet made the joke anyway despite everything. He knew what he was doing and then did it anyway. That is a fact.

Just READ what people are saying to you and wouldn't need to pretend to be in the dark and so confused about why people are RIGHTFULLY hanging that asshole out to dry over this.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

You're thinking in absolutes.

The point in bringing up this documentary on hair that Chris Rock made isn't to paint him as a "worse person."

It's the point out that he knows. He knows the struggle women, in particular, Black women, have with their hair. It's not something he can play ignorant to. He made a bad, hurtful joke regardless.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can't wrap my head around why people care so much about this incident… like, why is it earth shattering? Guy got upset and slapped another guy. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I actually have trouble understanding comments like this.

The incident happened on stage, live on television around the world, at the Oscars, between two incredibly famous international celebrities. That makes it so, so much more strange and shocking and funny and tragic and just plain weird than pretty much any other similar situation ever could be.

Like, people say the wrong names of movies all the time. When it happened at the Oscars in 2017, it made a much bigger impact than usual.

It's not like seeing two people in a bar on a Friday night getting into a fight. That happens all the time. This doesn't. It's totally understandable that this made some serious waves.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It's so wild that people are so triggered by Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

Yeah, slapping someone is a poor response to being upset, but it's not some alien emotional response. He saw his wife being publicly humiliated and lost his cool.

I keep it real, at that moment Will Smith stopped being "safe" to a lot of white people, and they feel betrayed and slighted. And we know what happens when that happens in america

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Slapping someone is wrong.
Standing up for someone you love despite peer/societal pressue is good.

He should have walked up to him and just say that this joke sucked and that Chris of all people should know better, since he made a whole movie about women's hair and just walked back to his seat.

100% this. The joke was in poor taste and I don't think it was coming from good faith from Chris Rock. Slapping someone like that during those circumstances is idiotic. But I would've loved him to go up there and tell him off. I also think it would've way more impactful.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have trouble understanding comments like this.

The incident happened on stage, live on television around the world, at the Oscars, between two incredibly famous international celebrities. That makes it so, so much more strange and shocking and funny and tragic and just plain weird than pretty much any other similar situation ever could be.

Like, people say the wrong names of movies all the time. When it happened at the Oscars in 2017, it made a much bigger impact than usual.

It's not like seeing two people in a bar on a Friday night getting into a fight. That happens all the time. This doesn't. It's totally understandable that this made some serious waves.

I mean it doesn't make it strange to me… despite their level of fame… they are just human beings, subject to the exact same flaws as the rest of us. 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Like any bar fight I might happen to witness, despite initial shock, it seemed totally insignificant to me within a few hrs.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I mean it doesn't make it strange to me… despite their level of fame… they are just human beings, subject to the exact same flaws as the rest of us. 🤷🏾‍♂️.
The context and environment it happened in is what makes it truly odd and fascinating to so many. If it was just some thing that happened somewhere private that we only knew about because of some line item in a gossip mag no one would be talking about it to nearly this degree.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Can I speak as a woman and say I sure as shit wouldn't want such a partner or do I count less than the women you decide to use for your argument?
I'm just really surprised by the reaction, very different from the men I saw making comments about the events
about you not having the same reaction, maybe it is cultural differences or me living in a very uniform social bubble.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The context and environment it happened in is what makes it truly odd and fascinating to so many. If it was just some thing that happened somewhere private that we only knew about because of some line item in a gossip mag no one would be talking about it to nearly this degree.

The context- guy being losing his cool seeing his wife being embarrassed for ridicule of her medical condition. That's not really fascinating.

The environment- a televised gathering a bunch of well-dressed rich MFers, many of whom do worse shit behind closed doors than slap people disrespectful people in public. Maybe I care about these people less than most.

Look, I get why it was talk of the world on day 1. For the same reason a brawl at the local fair would make its rounds around town on tic tok and Twitter. People love a train wreck.

But I don't get people being so triggered by it, and still clutching their pearls after all this time. A guy just slapped another guy. People are acting like Will beat Chis to a pulp and pissed on him.

The more time passes the less remarkable the entire ordeal seems. 🤷🏾‍♂️

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Yeah I don't get the obsession with celebs. Live your lives people, and eat the rich.

I don't understand posts like this.

It's clear what the thread is about. Why enter it just to post a longer version of, "I don't care about this topic?"

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really to hear what some of you prices of shit in this thread would dare to say to my epileptic wife. Got any you wanna go for while you've got the opportunity? Words just words bro, sure.

I literally managed to get a full night's sleep and in that time still nobody still defending Chris has actually come to the conclusion that an apology to her might be in order and instead ran circles to avoid it

Last edited:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'd really to hear what some of you prices of shit in this thread would dare to say to my epileptic wife. Got any you wanna go for while you've got the opportunity? Words just words bro, sure
"Comedians making jokes."

Also, "She should stand up for herself" while you just look on dumbstruck.

And, "If I didn't KNOW she has epilepsy, then anything I say about her is obviously less harmful to her."

Did I get them all? Feels like I missed one.