• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Can you link us all the jokes?
No, I cannot link you every single time Chris Rock has invoked Jada Pinkett's name on stage. I can link you the big ones made in front of audiences of multiple millions because those are the well documented ones. From there you can choose to assume the folks who noticed this pattern are making it up entirely, these are just isolated incidents, and Will Smith chose that night and that subject to get mad enough to publicly smack someone in the face over or you can consider that perhaps when people who have been paying attention to these people for decades say there's a pattern it's not coming from nowhere.

But even if you choose to say "I don't believe you" at least you have the courage to actually engage with the possibility, unlike some posters.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
No, I cannot link you every single time Chris Rock has invoked Jada Pinkett's name on stage. I can link you the big ones made in front of audiences of multiple millions because those are the well documented ones. From there you can choose to assume the folks who noticed this pattern are making it up entirely, these are just isolated incidents, and Will Smith chose that night and that subject to get mad enough to publicly smack someone in the face over or you can consider that perhaps when people who have been paying attention to these people for decades say there's a pattern it's not coming from nowhere.

But even if you choose to say "I don't believe you" at least you have the courage to actually engage with the possibility, unlike some posters.
You made it sound like he had a very long running history of this, yet only brought up... 1? example and can't even link what the joke was. If this was a long running history you would be able to easily provide a few examples no?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
If we choose to accept the narrative that Chris Rock didn't know about Jada's medical condition despite it being more likely that he did know about it, that still leaves us with two facts about the situation:
1. It was easily within his power to find out if it was okay to make unprompted pot shots at her appearance on national TV given she's been open about the condition. No idea why ignorance causing harm is suddenly okay here for some people.
2. He shouldn't have been making the fucking pot shots anyway. "Comedy" based around insulting and mocking someone's physical appearance is lame. He was trying to be funny by being insulting and people rushing to the defense of said public mockery should really take a step back and think about this situation objectively.

I'm not talking about Will Smith's response here. I've got nothing insightful to say about that which hasn't already been said by others. I'm talking purely about this "it was just a joke, maybe he didn't know" Chris Rock defense force. He made a bad shitty joke built on making someone feel bad about themselves for no reason. Doesn't matter if he knew why, so throwing that possibility up like it excuses him is nonsense.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
It's just one more example of using disengenuous language to make the slap seem worse than it was. I see you.

Oh my a 'warning sign!'. If only someone told Jada when they were married that he would someday SLAP someone twenty five years later! The horror!
Not disingenuous to say physical assault is inappropriate especially in this context, but keep trying to sugar coat it for some reason...

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
If you don't know about Dave Chappelle's attacks on trans people then look them up if you want to understand the context behind the sentiment. It's not a difficult one to search for and he hasn't been subtle about it. It would (genuinely) be faster than me writing it all out.

The ignorance is in trying to draw the hard line between the two, especially with something as vague as jokes made in poor taste. Comedy has a history of running cover for bigotry and hate speech, not least with regard to transphobia. Which is part of why people like Dave Chappelle, Ricky Gervais and Bill Burr all manage to keep their specials and stand-ups going despite using them as a platform to demean trans people for years. It's not hate you see, it's just a joke. It might be in poor taste but... He doesn't really dislike trans people he's just... and so on and so forth.

I understand where you are coming from.

I just wanted to make it clear I was not stating whether or not Dave's comments were just jokes or hate speech, my response was more about whether I believe a comedian should be assaulted for a joke, and I am just making it clear that I think there is a difference between a joke and deliberate hateful rhetoric.

My personal view is that you should accept everyone for who they are and not demean people for being different. I was bullied for my entire school-life for being different.

The way I see it though, is that there are many different types of groups as well as many different types of jokes, I don't think that any particular group should be able to attack an individual as being against any of those groups based on a joke about them, but it is extremely dependent on the context. It can be easy to conflate something a comedian believes with something they believe is funny. If they are weaving hateful rhetoric with the jokes, it becomes much more apparent if they really mean it though, or if they choose to focus on a particular group of people repeatedly over others.

So, I see a difference between those circumstances, I am okay with jokes about anything as long as it isn't designed to demean, hurt, and spread hate about anyone. (Yes, I know that this is also open to individual interpretation about what is demeaning, hurtful or hateful)

I don't know what the solution is for dealing with people who are bigoted and use comedy to shield themselves from criticism, it seems the only real option is to just ignore them. Trying to get them canceled just seems to feed into right-wing talking points about cancel culture.

If you disagree that is fine, I respect how you feel about it.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So then is this rule only for wives or would it also apply to husbands? Anyone married shouldn't be joked about in public without justifiably being assaulted?

I'm not even touching the "be a man" toxic nonsense

😂
Yeah only make fun of husbands. If you make fun of someones wife you're going to get the shit beat out of you. I collect a lot of funko pops and all of those characters would totally own someone who makes of their women.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Just explain how it's a "massive warning sign at best" then. Your words. Just explain them.
If your partner is now assaulting speakers on stage in front of millions of people? Yeah, that's a warning sign that they are having issues dealing with confrontation in a healthy adult way. You think it's alright to go up assaulting people?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Why is it okay that he made fun of her appearance?

Doesn't really matter, tbh.

You don't assault someone over that, and Will knows he's in the wrong for it.

Dude likely lost out on roles and business opportunities over this; his reputation has been thoroughly dragged through the mud across the entire industry and online platforms.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think Will and Jada would have found any "massive warning signs" years ago in their relationship. Y'all act like you are in their marriage.

Great. Your partner would leave you if you committed an act of violence. That has nothing to do with Will and Jada's marriage.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Dude likely lost out on roles and business opportunities over this; his reputation has been dragged through the mud across the entire industry and online platforms.

And Jada continues to be erased (unless she's being portrayed as the villain).

Jada didn't assault Chris Rock. Why do Will's actions absolve Chris of his responsibility to do right by her?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If your partner is now assaulting speakers on stage in front of millions of people? Yeah, that's a warning sign that they are having issues dealing with confrontation in a healthy adult way. You think it's alright to go up assaulting people?

I don't think a single slap in 53 years of a man's life is enough to say what you've suggested.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
And Jada continues to be erased (unless she's being portrayed as the villain).

Jada didn't assault Chris Rock. Why do Will's actions absolve Chris of his responsibility to do right by her?

She can speak for herself and demand an apology.

Rock is under no obligation to initiate one, specifically because he views himself as THE main victim in all this.

Jada wasn't physically assaulted on a globally telecasted event. Chris Rock was, hence why he's received the lion's share of public support/sympathy.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
She can speak for herself and demand an apology.

Rock is under no obligation to initiate one, specifically because he views himself as THE main victim in all this.

Jada wasn't physically assaulted on a globally telecasted event. Chris Rock was, hence why he's received the lion's share of public support/sympathy.

Maybe it's because it's late and I ain't got time for the okey doke, but I'm tired.

We've just been over how Jada Pinkett Smith has been made the villain in this situation despite not saying a word:

And, just to reiterate, let's sum up the actions of all involved:

Chris Rock: Made fun of Jada Pinkett Smith's physical appearance, knowingly or not poking at a health condition.

Will Smith: Slapped Chris Rock in retaliation.

Jada Pinkett Smith:...nothing.

And yet who NEVER gets the victim treatment in all of this? In fact, not only does Jada not get seen as a victim here, she gets blamed -- up to and including multiple insinuations, in this thread even, that Jada is psychologically damaging her husband. Claims that she needs counseling. Claims that she emasculates Will.

All without saying a word.

Jada Pinkett Smith has not been afforded an ounce of victimhood in any of this. And this isn't unusual. Black Women are RARELY afforded victimhood.

And so, you ask why Jada didn't just "speak for herself and demand an apology." And my obvious counter to that is how the heck do you think that would have gone if she had?

But one would think Rock would feel some obligation to initiate an apology, seeing as he initiated the entire situation in the first place with his piss-poor joke.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019

I didn't ask if Will was justified or not. I asked why it's okay for Chris to say what he said. People ITT want to argue about the severity of his words, or whether or not he knew about her condition. None of those people want to answer that question, though.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018

Agreed, completely toxic and unhealthy way to deal with anger. Will embarrassed himself and his family and the public knows it. In the aftermath, Chris Rock has seemingly bounced back quite well after all of this. He's been touring to sold out shows and appears to have a new lady in his life. Meanwhile, I suspect Will is hurting for work now, and is working with his team of publicists to remove the shame his assault caused.

Feb 16, 2022
If we choose to accept the narrative that Chris Rock didn't know about Jada's medical condition despite it being more likely that he did know about it, that still leaves us with two facts about the situation:
1. It was easily within his power to find out if it was okay to make unprompted pot shots at her appearance on national TV given she's been open about the condition. No idea why ignorance causing harm is suddenly okay here for some people.
2. He shouldn't have been making the fucking pot shots anyway. "Comedy" based around insulting and mocking someone's physical appearance is lame. He was trying to be funny by being insulting and people rushing to the defense of said public mockery should really take a step back and think about this situation objectively.

I'm not talking about Will Smith's response here. I've got nothing insightful to say about that which hasn't already been said by others. I'm talking purely about this "it was just a joke, maybe he didn't know" Chris Rock defense force. He made a bad shitty joke built on making someone feel bad about themselves for no reason. Doesn't matter if he knew why, so throwing that possibility up like it excuses him is nonsense.
For point #2, it's been pointed out over and over again since the original incident that Chris Rock made a whole ass documentary about black women's hair. He knows full well it's not something to joke about.

We've had these debates over and over again. I'm honestly tired of all these relitigating of the incident in this thread. It's probably gonna end up locked again sooner or later.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone's willing to do that on stage, yeah it's like I said a massive warning sign. Not sure why you and others think physical assault is okay and worth downplaying but keep going on I guess.
I'm convinced you live in some super sanitized world. People are prone to bouts of physical, emotional reactions regardless if they are on camera live or in the privacy of their own home, and not because they are abusive or violent people by nature. The slap should have never happened but this isn't some sign of a concerning behavioral and mental problem. If it was like a repeated thing where Will was assaulting people all of the time, then there would be cause to say it is a warning sign and disturbing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Meanwhile, I suspect Will is hurting for work now, and is working with his team of publicists to remove the shame his assault caused.
Fucking what? lol

Will Smith has a net worth of over $300 million, is married to a beautiful woman, has a family, has several projects of his own to work on, and has just as many people on social media on his side as he does against him so not sure how much "shame" there really is beyond his own admitted regret.

He isn't "hurting" for anything. He is going to be just fine.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
My dog once did an insanely loud, incredibly wet fart. He hadn't had an accident in the house for like six years since he was a puppy, and he didn't ask to be let out, so I didn't really think much of it.

Minutes later he diarhea-ed all over the carpet.

People can change in an instant, and you really need to take these warning signs seriously, even if it's easy to pass them off as nothing.

/s

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
The slap just showed what an immature, overly reactive asshole will smith really is.
Completely unjustified, point blank.

Dec 31, 2017
Good that he apologized and acknowledged that his behavior was unacceptable.

It wasn't a circumstance where he was justified in physically attacking Chris Rock.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that we have to presume to know what was in Chris Rock's head and automatically assign negative intent to any and all actions he took. He has a grudge, has some kind of vendetta, wants to shame this person, x. Chris makes no mistakes- every action is premeditated and with intent to harm.

But we cannot assume anything but positive intent for Will Smith. He couldn't help himself and his actions were clearly positive and trying to do _______. We must assume all his actions were from an honorable place and he makes no mistakes.

The only people who know what was going through their minds were Chris and Will themselves. Chris did something out of line and Will did something wrong. The world has had their way with judging them. From that video Will seems to feel deep remorse over what happened and I think it's genuine. I feel bad for the guy. He said he had a relationship with the Rock family and that's gone now. I hope both parties can find a way to make peace with each other an move on.

At this point anything else should happen in private and it feels creepy for the whole world to somehow be involved in this and not let these people move on.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think the slap was completely unjustified in the context of when it happened, and he should be embarrassed and sorry. That said, it's not me he owes an apology.

If Chris Rock accepts this and Will is genuinely remorseful about it, then I'd say that's the matter pretty much closed. Humans fuck up. Celebrity humans often fuck up on large stages. I'd cut short his suspension from the Academy too, to maybe a year or two instead of the 10 years they gave him.

This is all you can really ask from a person in these circumstances. Shake hands and move on.