• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So we're ok with this now? How much revenue is he getting from the youtube views.

Seemed genuine, but what the hell else was he gonna do?

For a certain type a person it will never be enough.

I don't have it in me to go through 10 pages of this again.

Is there still a sheltered "violence is never the answer!" Defense force?

You can now add "words aren't weapons and don't hurt!" to the list of stupid sheltered bullshit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
wildly insane that "don't physically assault someone" is the wrong opinion here...
That's not necessarily the wrong opinion, and it's weird how nuance is being lost on even this point.

You can say Will Smith was wrong to slap Chris Rock without A) asserting that violence is never an answer to any single problem ever, B) equivocating all forms of violence as exactly the same in terms of harm, C) falsely denying that words are harmless, and D) using racist dogwhistles to discuss the issue.

This isn't that hard.

Wilks

Jul 27, 2022
Ight cool. Hopefully, both sides move the hell on already & the media can stop milking this.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Hopefully Zoe Kravitz will forgive him. /s

Seriously though, lost in all of this is how many celebrities showed their whole ass trying to get in on this action. People not named "Chris Rock" acting like they got slapped by Will Smith.

May 14, 2021
Ight cool. Hopefully, both sides move the hell on already & the media can stop milking this.
How often does the media talk about it? Last time I can remember was when Chappelle got attacked and Chris joked about the attacker being Will. Chris could end this if he felt like it, but for whatever reason he won't.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How often does the media talk about it? Last time I can remember was when Chappelle got attacked and Chris joked about the attacker being Will. Chris could end this if he felt like it, but for whatever reason he won't.
It makes rounds every now and then when a celebrity decides to bring it up. Also the Sun wrote about the slap a week ago. Vanity Fair had an article a month ago…there are more from what I can see. So it never really went away.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
? He slapped somebody. You've never seen people slap people in anger before?

simplifying the situation to "he slapped somebody" is a bit unfair

I'm not so quick in accepting the apology and moving on. The man was laughing at the joke, saw his wife was upset at the joke, decided to get up and slap another man in a public setting.

This apology doesn't really address that if his wife weren't happy with something that Will wouldn't violently act on it again.

edit: to be clear, I'm not incriminating Jada. I think Will's reaction to Jada not being happy with something is over the top and something he needs to sort out.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I'm not so quick in accepting the apology and moving on. The man was laughing at the joke, saw his wife was upset at the joke, decided to get up and slap another man in a public setting.

This apology doesn't really address that if his wife weren't happy with something that Will wouldn't violently act on it again.

edit: to be clear, I'm not incriminating Jada. I think Will's reaction to Jada not being happy with something is over the top and something he needs to sort out.
pretty awful take. Good thing he's not asking for your forgiveness. Lol @ "I'm not so quick to accept!"

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if he did, I'd be asking why the hell he slap me for when he was laughing at the joke a second ago

Why would you ask a question you're so sure you already know the answer to?

The man was laughing at the joke, saw his wife was upset at the joke, decided to get up and slap another man in a public setting.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
if he did, I'd be asking why the hell he slap me for when he was laughing at the joke a second ago

Never seen an angry person laugh because they don't know what else to do?

wildly insane that "don't physically assault someone" is the wrong opinion here...

This assumes that violence can never be the answer. But even society at large is fine with massive amounts of state violence.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I am starting to think a lot of posters don't have a good grasp of reality.
Era in a nutshell anytime a violent situation plays out where someone gets what they deserve. There is always at least one person that needs to be the defense force for the person/persons who got what was coming to them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if people have tried to goad Will into slapping them since then? Similar to how people ask Aaron Paul to call them a bitch.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You are implying there are "deeper" issues as if this wasn't the mildest violent physical reaction a person could have against another person. What he did wasn't right, but it hardly requires psychoanalyzing.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm going to be completely honest. I probably watch the Academy Awards more than most people do on here. Used to do betting pools and just liked the traditional broadcast.

I think Will was slightly in the wrong, but both of their careers should and will have benefited from this nonsense. No one will ever say, "Will, ID43 is not an option for you!", or "Chris, you're going to host this dire event until the end of your days!" They put spotlight on an awards show scrambling to reach an audience that doesn't care.

If you're stanning for a side, you're in the wrong. Before the end of our lifetime, these two actors are going to share the screen in some fashion. I can understand people being critical about Chris. He will market it until he knows it's time.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Why center Will's initial laughter here? Or even bother mentioning it at all? I don't get it.

Maybe it was an attempt at grace, maybe it took a second for him to process the joke, maybe it was a defense mechanism. Either way, anger quickly supplanted that laughter, and that anger was most definitely coming from an understandable place.

The impulse to be like "oh, but he laughed!" strikes me as people disliking Will's overall reaction and then working backwards while selectively limiting their emotional imaginations.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
All of these takes approving of his behavior is a bit WTF. Chris's joke was definitely in poor taste, but Will still did the wrong thing. Are we going to just start saying that all comedians should get assaulted when they make a joke someone doesn't like?

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
If you're stanning for a side, you're in the wrong.
Nah I couldn't disagree any more and the takes in this thread are wild.

Rock told a crappy joke. When Demi Moore shaved hear head for G.I. Jane, it was a big pop culture story. Rock saw a woman actor with a shaved head and thought "G.I. Jane!".

It was lazy, not really funny, but in no way malicious or mean spirited. This was in the context of him presenting as a comedian at an award show i.e. doing what hosts have been doing for 100 years.

A much bigger man proceeded to march up onto the stage and assault him in front of millions of people.

What Will did was unacceptable, he was 100% in the wrong, and thankfully his apology acknowledges that.

Rock owes him nothing.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of these takes approving of his behavior is a bit WTF. Chris's joke was definitely in poor taste, but Will still did the wrong thing. Are we going to just start saying that all comedians should get assaulted when they make a joke someone doesn't like?
Would you say it is wrong for Dave Chappelle to be assaulted for his jokes and demeaning beliefs about trans people? Just asking out of curiosity.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Era in a nutshell anytime a violent situation plays out where someone gets what they deserve. There is always at least one person that needs to be the defense force for the person/persons who got what was coming to them.
Yo like when that racist lady screamed the n word at the fast food workers and got wrestler slammed. Fuck her

Nov 7, 2017

Same, I'm done with the thread. I can't believe how many people are just fine with it or like Will more now that he slapped Chris during the Oscars. Pathetic and messed up. People that hit other people because they can't control their emotions are not to be looked up and it isn't a sign of strength. It's all ego.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Holy shitty straw man batman!
That's 50% of this thread and the last one.

"What about battered children tormented in secret by high school bullies?"
"What about Russia's war in Ukraine?"
"What about a righteous outburst of violence that can sometimes occur in pursuit of legitimate social justice?"

Silly business.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shitty straw man batman!
Not straw man. The user asked "Are we going to just start saying that all comedians should get assaulted when they make a joke someone doesn't like?"

He is a comedian making demeaning jokes about people. I want to know how they feel about that form of violence vs this one.

I don't condone Will's actions and these are broad statements being made about how violence is wrong without thinking about nuance.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
Not straw man. The user asked "Are we going to just start saying that all comedians should get assaulted when they make a joke someone doesn't like?"

He is a comedian making demeaning jokes about people. I want to know how they feel about that form of violence vs this one.

I don't condone Will's actions and these are broad statements being made about how violence is wrong without thinking about nuance.
Some of Chappelle's content borders on hate speech against an oppressed and marginalised group.

Equating it with "a joke someone doesn't like" is a shitty straw man.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
idk maybe just keep your mouth shut instead of mocking a woman's hair issues in front of all of her peers if you don't want to find yourself having those words slapped out of it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Didn't he apologize already shortly after the Oscars?

Well kudos for him being the better man on this, while Chris Rock seem to have otherwise gotten away with saying such a shitty joke.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some people in this thread have lived some incredibly sheltered lives is all I can guess if words are fine. Would you be fine with somebody mocking an autistic person? Cause I saw what happened when someone did that to my best friends little brother and he got a lot more than a slap out of it.

Genuinely curious, the hell do you expect people to actually do? Like someone sends someone incredibly dear to you into a meltdown and you expect them to ask them nicely not to be a dick? The world is nowhere near that sweet. Or maybe it is cause it was just words right?

Its fucking mind boggling that it's OK to rip on Jada's alopecia and yet people mock the physical shape of Donald Trump and people throw a fit over body shaming. I'm not even saying that's wrong but for fuck sakes at least be consistent

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
No one who's upset over Chris' joke are so because of simply not liking it, it's because his joke was demeaning/offensive. He was making a joke at the expense of Jada's alopecia.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
Would you say it is wrong for Dave Chappelle to be assaulted for his jokes and demeaning beliefs about trans people? Just asking out of curiosity.
I don't actually know any of what Dave has been saying, I don't follow his content, I have seen there is controversy over some of his recent shows, but I don't know any of the specifics. All I can really say regarding it is that there is a difference between a joke and hate speech.