• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are right, Rock should have apologized for the insensitive joke but I dunno I think her husband rushing the stage and slapping Rock and then not leaving the Oscars when asked was more embarrassing for her.
And that is something they have probably discussed at length privately because they see each other.

Chris should apologize to her but he won't because he's antagonized Jada for years.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Then what are your arguing? Because the fact that he is a world wide star that did something stupid on a world wide stage will alter his career. There's no way around that. And for anyone else for that matter. That's not the way professionalism works.
I'm arguing that the people who say that "violence is never the answer" are full of shit, and that one of the reasons they are full of shit is because they admitted to the forum that they willfully exist in a fairytale land where a slap, if you aren't rich, means you have no more chance at a fulfilling life.

Fact is, individuals across all stratas get away with all kinds of violence- physical, verbal, sexual- with little recourse. It depends upon the context of the violence, your occupation, your sociopolitical background, where you live, the laws and ordinances, etc.

And this isn't a condoning of violence, nor is it saying that violence cannot have negative repercussions if it's doled out to the wrong people (because again, most of the people here pissing their pants in fear at Will are nonetheless okay with some forms of violence, individual and state level). It's just the reality of things. You can, indeed, slap someone and go on living.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
And that is something they have probably discussed at length privately because they see each other.

Chris should apologize to her but he won't because he's antagonized Jada for years.
I hope he does. I also doubt he will. I think it might bring closure to this if he did.

I don't like the idea of Will Smith being blacklisted. He's insanely talented and it's a damn shame he let his emotions get the best of him and I honestly thought things were back to normal after the original thread.

He fucked up, and he apologized. It might not have been immediate but he did it. I know I don't like saying I was wrong, so good for him to do it. I hope Chris Rock can do the same. It would actually show some backbone if he did.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I never said he wasn't being geniune, just that the hilariously high production value for an apology is at odds with trying to come across geniune.

I'm a professional video editor too, I have access and knowledge on how to make something look and feel great - but I would absolutely not use it for something like this lol. It's overproduced for sure. Just because you have skills it doesn't mean they need to be used for every project. Would you feel the same way if his team placed a quiet sad piano melody throughout the video while he spoke? Why/why not? Would that feel inauthentic to you? If it would, whats the difference between doing that and having 4 camera angles for an apology?

I wouldn't add the sad music lol, that's too much. Because then you would be attempting to force and/or evoke specific emotions and reactions while he speaks. I mean I suppose I can see how it could be seen as overproduced but I can also just see it as him using what he has. I've seen a lot of his videos before and regardless of if he's the only person talking in the video or if he's talking to someone else he tends to always have multiple angles, high production values. So to me it doesn't really seem out of place idk lol. It probably isn't the best way to do it sure but its how he chose to do it *shrug*

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm arguing that the people who say that "violence is never the answer" are full of shit, and that one of the reasons they are full of shit is because they admitted to the forum that they willfully exist in a fairytale land where a slap, if you aren't rich, means you have no more chance at a fulfilling life.

Fact is, individuals across all stratas get away with all kinds of violence- physical, verbal, sexual- with little recourse. It depends upon the context of the violence, your occupation, your sociopolitical background, where you live, the laws and ordinances, etc.

And this isn't a condoning of violence, nor is it saying that violence cannot have negative repercussions if it's doled out to the wrong people (because again, most of the people here pissing their pants in fear at Will are nonetheless okay with some forms of violence, individual and state level). It's just the reality of things. You can, indeed, slap someone and go on living.
maybe it won't effect you, and maybe it will? Is that flip of the coin worth it? Nah man, it's not.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since this happened and my thoughts on this haven't quite settled. I agree with things said on various sides but in most discussions I see, it feels like people fixate themselves on a single perspective and ignore the larger picture and because of that I find it hard to agree with most single opinions.

Violence shouldn't be condoned.

Will Smith shouldn't have lost or have his career irreparably damaged by the event, far worse Academy members have not only been forgiven or had their crimes ignored for the sake of honoring their work and/or profit.

Anyone that tries to pin any of the blame of this on Jada is, in my opinion, ill-intentioned and acting in bad faith, to say the least.

I don't think comedy should have limits on what topics can and can't be approached. That isn't to say it can't, or shouldn't, be criticized. It absolutely should. but in the midst of the noise surrounding the slap, Chris Rock never addressed how inappropriate his joke was and given his years-long record of making jokes about Jada, or at her expense, the fact that he understands the value and significance of a woman's hair, given that he stars in a documentary about it, I am still under the impression he had ill-intentions when he made it. The fact that he hasn't apologized for it to Jada only cements that idea further.

Yet somehow after all this time it seems that some people can't conciliate the idea that acknowledging what was inappropriate about the joke is not the same as condoning violence. They aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

I hope we get to see Will Smith starring in movies again soon. He didn't deserve this degree of scrutiny and punishment in my opinion.

Oh and the Academy can go royally fuck itself. They are moral arbiters of nothing after all the shit they've pulled and people they've defended.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Sincere question, what are the things that are at play here? Is it that you don't humiliate another black man in public like that? You don't bring succesful black people down?

Or is it the stigma that black men are violent, and you don't wanna feed into that?

Something else? Genuinely curious.
Yes.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Don't most people just call or see someone and say sorry, and not use social media as a way to express "hey I'm not a bad person" tactic?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
this entire thing constantly having to play out in public while everyone continues to dig in and take sides is getting weirder and weirder.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't most people just call or see someone and say sorry, and not use social media as a way to express "hey I'm not a bad person" tactic?
He's a public figure who was dragged through the mud by the public and fellow Hollywood people who acted like they were the ones who were slapped. Of course he did a public apology.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
this entire thing constantly having to play out in public while everyone continues to dig in and take sides is getting weirder and weirder.
Invert the "M" and place this before the Academy Awards in 10 years.

wwf-chris.gif

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
He's a public figure who was dragged through the mud by the public and fellow Hollywood people who acted like they were the ones who were slapped. Of course he did a public apology.

Maybe as a public figure you don't slap someone on a world wide stage? 🤷‍♂️

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I feel like we've had these exact same argument and battles through like 35 different threads now many of which got closed. What an event.

Either way to me it's clear Chris told a bad joke and Will did something he regretted. I've watched a lot of awards shows in my life across various things and jokes at people who are attending are very common. It's pretty well known or at least I thought it was known that getting a tough joke lobbed at you if you were a star in attendance was a real possibility. And yet only in one instance can I remember someone coming up and smacking the person who said the joke. Will fucked up and I think he knows it. I believe it's genuine here.

I think picking sides and drawing these hard lines over stuff in regards to this has always been really weird. It's like you had to decide team Chris or team Will right off the back and defend it like mad or something. Will's one of my favorite actors ever. Chris Rock is whatever honestly haven't paid much attention to his comedy in years. Hopefully we can see Will in some stuff soon because he's such a talent.

Jan 20, 2022
Who's acting like they're deeply traumatized or scarred? Nearly all of the criticism I've seen is along the lines of "He shouldn't have done that" or "You should never resort to violence" or stuff along those lines. I don't believe I've seen anyone claim they were personally traumatized by seeing it.
I remember a lot of celebs saying stuff like it was horrifying to witness it in person and stuff along those lines. Very over dramatic

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Jada Smith got the worst of this all and will probably never receive an apology, instead will probably continue to be the butt of everyones jokes.

Correct, because of her husbands actions. Sucks, but he took the worst possible route. He could've did a video afterwards of the dangers of words or talk to Rock in private. Instead he multiplied the innocent and everything else gets lost in the conversation.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It's threads like this why I get r/blackpeopleTwitter made a country club only threads a thing. Because damn, a lot of my fellow whites, and anyone not black honestly, needs to shut the fuck up about this because they have no idea what they're talking about.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I know. Why are you explaining why he apologized to me? I was responding to the user who was asking why a public figure was making a public apology.
Yes I get it but it just seems like trying to improve his image because of the repercussions that followed (I'm not arguing whether he deserved it or not).

The whole thing was almost premeditated because he took the time to laugh, then look at his wife, then walk from his seat all the way up to the stage, do his thing, then sit back down. I think he should have just kept quiet or like I said phone him privately, he said enough already publicly.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
Yet somehow after all this time it seems that some people can't conciliate the idea that acknowledging what was inappropriate about the joke is not the same as condoning violence. They aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

I hope we get to see Will Smith starring in movies again soon. He didn't deserve this degree of scrutiny and punishment in my opinion.

Oh and the Academy can go royally fuck itself. They are moral arbiters of nothing after all the shit they've pulled and people they've defended.
indeed.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Still waiting for Chris Rock to apologize for his shitty "joke".

I doubt it'll happen, and that doesn't surprise me.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I don't like that Will Smith feels the need to behave in the way he is...

Theres something deeper going on where this man feels he has to act on certain things and behave in certain ways.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't have it in me to go through 10 pages of this again.

Is there still a sheltered "violence is never the answer!" Defense force?

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would one tell the difference between a genuine apology and a non-genuine apology delivered by an Academy Award-winning actor?

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Will to apologize, but it seems weird to do this video months after it happened and when everyone pretty much moved on.

Nobody would've been talking about Chris' joke if it wasn't for the slap. Will worked himself into a shoot.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"its just words" types I have to guess were lucky enough to never have to deal with harassment or bullying. Anyone can be driven to physically lash out, and its not an abnormal human reaction. Chris knows this, he's been through it to the point of fucking a bully up with a brick.

elproducto

Oct 31, 2017
So we're ok with this now? How much revenue is he getting from the youtube views.

Seemed genuine, but what the hell else was he gonna do?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like this was handled as best it could, aftermath wise.

and imo Will doesn't have a "duty" to address it with the public to begin with despite it being a public event (in spite of whatever that would do to his career and PR or whatever)

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Lmao hearing people speak out of both sides of their mouth on this is hilarious:

"Is it OK to just joke on people with debilitating conditions?"

It's not OK, but it being not ok doesn't equal deserving violence

"People are saying ViOlEnCe iS neVuR tEh aNsWer"

Violence can be the answer for many things, speech isn't one I'm aware of violence being an answer to unless you are talking actual verbalized threats.