• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Somehow being presentable and professional comes across as not being genuine to you?
I never said he wasn't being geniune, just that the hilariously high production value for an apology is at odds with trying to come across geniune.

I'm a professional video editor too, I have access and knowledge on how to make something look and feel great - but I would absolutely not use it for something like this lol. It's overproduced for sure. Just because you have skills it doesn't mean they need to be used for every project. Would you feel the same way if his team placed a quiet sad piano melody throughout the video while he spoke? Why/why not? Would that feel inauthentic to you? If it would, whats the difference between doing that and having 4 camera angles for an apology?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Lol he reached out and Chris Rock wasn't ready to talk so you put out some publicity thing

Fucking weirdo.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
none of them would lay hands on another person

if they do that's instantly losing your job, going to jail and possible law suits, your background checks at future jobs would also get fucked. You would be done for life if you raise your hands in a professional environment

Yes! I think all you people who cheer this on don't have a job or I don't know what? Its a fantasy to think you'd do the same in that situation? It's such a bizarre hill to die on? Will Smith was 100% wrong and he apologized and move on…

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There was so much BS regarding this on just Era alone...

I hope he, Jada, and his family find peace through it all at the end of the day

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for any black woman that couldn't express any nuance opinion on the slap without getting attacked.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Glad he knows he was wrong. It is a sign of maturity to know if you fucked up.
Still weird seeing people defend people who themselves are regretful.

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
It's okay Will no one actually cares

The slap dominated the news cycle for like two weeks, just long enough for the roe v Wade leak to fade out of the talk

You served your purpose. While everyone was focused on a little slap, they had no time to get angry over shit that was actually important

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Traveling back a bit: The idea that a misdemeanor assault charge will "ruin your life," as in you become completely unemployable and persona non grata, doesn't hold up to even a basic Google search comparing violent crime stats and homelessness. It becomes harder yes, but hell, the industry this site is based off of has massive issues with goddamn sexual assault in, like, every company, and the boys there seem to be doing alright.

Feb 24, 2018
The part of this that annoys me the most is the ableism angle of it all. It's very easy to tell who is an actual allies actually are on any given topic when they go, "It's just a joke!", "Words are words!" or other just rhetoric or people suddenly tell to you to just shut up because comedy is above critique or consequences (and I'm not going into the fact people used Ricky Gervais of all people to justify Rocks actions).

I'm not saying what Will did was right, but the fact that so many defended Rock's right to be ableist trash, to joke down like this is disgusting to me. People with physical or mental disabilities or health issues are constantly used by shit comedians as cheap jokes and we're constantly told to accept it and we deserve it. The fact the Oscars (who for so many years have awarded people pretending to be stereotyped disabled or have health conditions, pretending to care) so no problem in it speaks volumes about the people within the movie industry.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

The slap dominated the news cycle for like two weeks, just long enough for the roe v Wade leak to fade out of the talk

You served your purpose. While everyone was focused on a little slap, they had no time to get angry over shit that was actually important

Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch and his career was never the same (not to mention his religion garbage) He's an actor and it's best to keep your personal life private as much as possible so people can get lost in your work and not think of your personal life while watching you. This will stay with him for a while I'm afraid…But it's a good first step.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The part of this that annoys me the most is the ableism angle of it all. It's very easy to tell who is an actual allies actually are on any given topic when they go, "It's just a joke!", "Words are words!" or other just rhetoric or people suddenly tell to you to just shut up because comedy is above critique or consequences (and I'm not going into the fact people used Ricky Gervais of all people to justify Rocks actions).

I'm not saying what Will did was right, but the fact that so many defended Rock's right to be ableist trash, to joke down like this is disgusting to me. People with physical or mental disabilities or health issues are constantly used by shit comedians as cheap jokes and we're constantly told to accept it and we deserve it. The fact the Oscars (who for so many years have awarded people pretending to be stereotyped disabled or have health conditions, pretending to care) so no problem in it speaks volumes about the people within the movie industry.

People aren't defending Rocks jokes, people are saying that killing your career on one of the biggest telecasts is probably a bad move. It wasn't his only move to make. It's probably his worse move to make and thus he's apologizing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch and his career was never the same (not to mention his religion garbage) He's an actor and it's best to keep your personal life private as much as possible so people can get lost in your work and not think of your personal life while watching you. This will stay with him for a while I'm afraid…But it's a good first step.
I was more than half way through King Richard last week before I remembered the slap, and that was the first time I watched a Will Smith movie since then. I'm sure he'll be fine.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I was more than half way through King Richard last week before I remembered the slap, and that was the first time I watched a Will Smith movie since then. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Time will tell. Industry is fickle. I hope you are right because we all do some stupid shit. But again, Cruise wasn't a top movie star (again) until 20 years later. 🤷‍♂️

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Good apology from Smith

It's funny how people on Era can't realize something is wrong when the perpetrator themselves said they made a mistake

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see that this heinous assault on society is finally settled. Now we may finally move on as a global community and start rebuilding.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The whole discourse makes me think of something i think damn near every black child in america hears. "Don't act a fool around white folks", you always have to be on, always proper, always the inoffensive negro.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just ready for them to move on from this even if a lot of people won't let them. It ain't that big of a deal. He apologized, so I'm not sure what else people want.

Once again, something minor a black man does gets escalated 1000% and some are acting like Will belongs in jail even when trying to make amends.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It was wrong to slap the man but once a person apologizes, and this seems genuine, then they should be forgiven and both of them move on.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Traveling back a bit: The idea that a misdemeanor assault charge will "ruin your life," as in you become completely unemployable and persona non grata, doesn't hold up to even a basic Google search comparing violent crime stats and homelessness. It becomes harder yes, but hell, the industry this site is based off of has massive issues with goddamn sexual assault in, like, every company, and the boys there seem to be doing alright.

I have seen numerous lives heavily disrupted and often leading to a far less rewarding life over misdemeanor violence charges. Sure they can still get some kind of job but many have lost jobs they actually found fulfilling.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Oscars were in March.

Roe v Wade leak happened in May.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I have seen numerous lives heavily disrupted and often leading to a far less rewarding life over misdemeanor violence charges. Sure they can still get some kind of job but many have lost jobs they actually found fulfilling.
Yep. Most background checks catch misdemeanors, including charges like assault, that could be a huge red flag. In competitive industries and positions, you can kiss your candidacy goodbye. Why add that to your life?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the belief brought up in this thread that if you hit someone, on or off the job, your life as far as economic fulfillment is literally over. Like, it just isn't true. =/

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I not saying he shoulda done it, but I understand. Chris Rock's now infamous punchline still holds true even after the apology.

Also, Chris Rock is an asshole.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm not disputing that. I'm disputing the belief brought up in this thread that if you hit someone, on or off the job, your life as far as economic fulfillment is literally over. Like, it just isn't true. =/

It's certainly isn't the way you want to forward your career? Especially on national TV. Depending on your career it's a small world and peoples careers have been ended for much less. Basically, why put speed bumps in your profession…

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I can list off a number of people I have seen in court over the years who went from middle class or lower upper class down to just above minimum wage and any uoward trajectory opportunities slashed. I guess it depends on your standard for economic fulfillment.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry for humiliating your wife in front of millions of people, it only took me... oh, wait. I never apologized to your wife.

And, just to reiterate, let's sum up the actions of all involved:

Chris Rock: Made fun of Jada Pinkett Smith's physical appearance, knowingly or not poking at a health condition.

Will Smith: Slapped Chris Rock in retaliation.

Jada Pinkett Smith:...nothing.

And yet who NEVER gets the victim treatment in all of this? In fact, not only does Jada not get seen as a victim here, she gets blamed -- up to and including multiple insinuations, in this thread even, that Jada is psychologically damaging her husband. Claims that she needs counseling. Claims that she emasculates Will.

All without saying a word.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Of course, but I'm not arguing that either, and neither is Will.
Then what are your arguing? Because the fact that he is a world wide star that did something stupid on a world wide stage will alter his career. There's no way around that. And for anyone else for that matter. That's not the way professionalism works.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for humiliating your wife in front of millions of people, it only took me... oh, wait. I never apologized to your wife.
You are right, Rock should have apologized for the insensitive joke but I dunno I think her husband rushing the stage and slapping Rock and then not leaving the Oscars when asked was more embarrassing for her.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

See: most bar fights

Like yeah you're rolling the dice with the cops but usually it's broken up and everyone takes their drunk ass home.