• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
No, I think he was out of line. Out of control implies something completely different and is often a phrase that gets slapped onto the behaviors of black men as if they are wild and uncontrollable.

His actions were not wise, but they hardly were "out of control". He was mad, but every action he took was very controlled. It was an active choice.
He himself says in this video he wasn't thinking, it was a moment of rage and anger and not a controlled action...

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Will Smith walked on stage, assaulted Chris physically and verbally and made an ass out of himself on stage and robbed the other performers, in his own words!!, of their moment to celebrate a year of entertainment media. He was extremely out of control and the fact he recognizes that but you don't is disappointing.
This is round and round so I don't know if we should even bother.

But the issue is words can kill. You may say it's Comedy, it's just a joke but why are these performers on their special night have to be robbed by attacks about their or their family's diseases? The whole "it's just comedy" thing doesn't fly for me at all.

Ultimately, Will using violence wasn't good, and I'm glad he's reaching out and tryna make amends. But it's literally just a slap. People get slapped all the time for a million different reasons. A celebrity getting slapped for a bad joke isn't one that draws too much sympathy from me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason this is still a thing is because whites got terrified that one of the few niggas they actually felt safe around got too violent for them.
Was this still a thing? I haven't heard or read anything about this incident for months now, until this video.

Then again, I might just be out of touch.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Good for Will. The slap wasn't the problem. If he wanted to rumble with Chris he should have done it away from prying eyes. He embarrassed the both of them.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Eh it was a bit overblown as it was. I've see guys get snatched up and beaten over saying out of the way shit to other people's wives but these people are actors and such so a different set of rules I guess. That said, the only thing he could have done better was slap the shit out if him back stage. Glad he is putting it behind him. Not even a big deal. Motherfuckers act like they never seen someone get set straight

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile these same whites let Mel Gibson back in and would happily take back Roman Polanski too if the courts would let them.

It's a joke.

Reading this thread just makes me think of how much Hollywood and the media would have been tripping over themselves to praise standing up for your wife and family if it was a white actor.

The pearl clutching people are still doing is fucking wild.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Really great video there, very honest. Hopefully people just move on, whatever else happens should be handled privately between Will and Chris.

I still think the media around it was fucking pathetic though. Dude lashed out and slapped another dude in an emotional moment like all human beings can have, we all get emotional and make mistakes. Yes it was wrong but fuck me some places acted like he killed someone. It felt like people were just waiting for Will Smith to fuck up or something, the reaction felt so disproportionate. Meanwhile you've got rapists and abusers being protected in Hollywood. It's ridiculous...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking this. If they lose faith in Morgan Freeman or Denzel they might writing start NY Times articles about how bringing slavery back may be a good thing.
Morgan "the solution to racism is to just stop talking about it" Freeman clocking someone will be ruled by the courts as something to Stand Your Ground against and trigger old school race riots.

"If we can't trust him we can't trust none of y'all."

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Good of him to reach out and also apologize to Chris and his family. I understand at the moment he was angry and heated but it's good he knows after some time that what he did wasn't the right thing to do. The shouting he did after the fact probably would've been enough from jump but getting physical was what took it too far.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada

View: https://twitter.com/adashtra/status/1508276311193755654

4 months...still how I feel about this personally.

Sorry white people, but stay in your fucking lane on this.

Words can be hurtful, yes, but they can't physically hurt you. Like, this is something we teach kids in kindergarten, "sticks and stones..." We can't start justifying violence over perceived slights in 2022. That's crazy.
What? A lot of societal change has been explicity because words can have severe consequences. Words can drive people to suicide. Slaps not always.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This issue really should be dead already and it sucks that he finds himself having to apologize so much . Unfortunately he can have all the support in the world but the slap is such an indelible image that I think it's going to be tough for him to shake it off. He has to eventually find a way to have fun with it and meme it up and Chris needs to get over it already.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I ain't defending Chris, but I'd have a hard time accepting an apology after all this time. I've declined apologies from people for the same reason.

Illumina

Banned
May 13, 2021

What? A lot of societal change has been explicity because words can have severe consequences. Words can drive people to suicide. Slaps not always.

Words can have indirect consequences, but that's a larger discussion. Words have no power on their own, it's all in how they are received and processed. Physically assaulting someone is always a direct act of violence. This shouldn't be controversial. Sad it has to be said.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If someone slapped me and apologised that would be the end of it, it's nothing really, even if it was on TV
I got punched in the face while both tripping on shrooms. No apology ever.

That friendship is done. It was shaky to begin with anyway lmao

An apology ain't fixing that.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Leaving this here, as this video is damn near required viewing for anybody wanting to engage in the nuance surrounding this topic:

View: https://youtu.be/EtXPTGkuJIA

Watched all of his and TJ1's videos on the topic and it opened my eyes to a ton of things I hadn't even considered, or have even been exposed to. Really challenged my perspective on a number of related subjects.

I highly recommend- regardless of which "side" of things any of you think you're on. It's not about that.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
The joke sucked.
The slap sucked.
This whole thing sucks, and I wish people would just stop talking about it and leave Will and Chris the fuck along and let them work this out amongst themselves. Compared to the myriad of horrific, unforgiveable things some of the people who have stood on stage at the Oscars have done, Will Smith slapping a dude doesn't even fucking rate.

Jan 18, 2018
Agreed and I'm still shocked at someone of the posts we are seeing even after 3 months to think on it.
Quote the posts you're shocked by

Right.

We can't say words are words and jokes are jokes and then turn around and want to hold Dave Chapelle accountable for his transphobic shit.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was always kinda sorta on Will's side regarding this situation.

That said I've always felt that public apologies, by the nature of being, well, PUBLIC apologies, are never really sincere, and always performative on some level. I would be extremely interested to find out what Will said to Chris in private, if anything...

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Up North in the UK, I wouldn't do the same but I don't know many people who wouldn't get aggressive (And I'm a Vegan hippy kind) with what he said. At the same time I'd back off from violence. I had to talk someone out of a fight a few weeks ago, their first night in a club I frequent and some guy who I also know asked if he could touch his girlfriends vagina, told the guy to back off and the guy saying it to fuck off (I know him kind of, dated a friend). I know some people who'd straight up smack him though.

I've also been smacked many a time (Mainly from thieving stoner friends) and just sacked them off, an apology maybe is fine, doesn't have to result in becoming friends again.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Words can have indirect consequences, but that's a larger discussion. Words have no power on their own, it's all in how they are received and processed. Physically assaulting someone is always a direct act of violence. This shouldn't be controversial. Sad it has to be said.

Curious what your take is on Alex Jones and the effect his words had on the parents of the kids murdered at Sandy Hook. Words have a fuckton of power.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Takes I'm reading smh.

Guy physically assaulted someone on live tv. At a work event. I've seen people get canned for doing less stupid shit at work Christmas parties.

Not a rational decision at all. Maybe he was going through some shit, it doesn't matter, he'll be ok, he'll still get work. He doesn't need a defense force.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Being physically assaulted has power too. A G.I. Jane joke has nowhere near the presence or power of fucking children being murdered.
No one is denying that physical violence- whether a slap or shooting- has power. The question is do words have power too? It's either yes or no.

What are you on about? I wasn't the one doing the comparing.
You missed the point of the comparison.

Jan 18, 2018
I always find it funny how white people got so much to say but always skip over posts by people of color and ignore what we have to say every fucking time

I always take a deep breathe when I see any era thread that has anything to do with black people.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
No one is denying that physical violence- whether a slap or shooting- has power. The question is do words have power too? It's either yes or no.

Yes, words have power. "The pen is mightier" and such.

You missed the point of the comparison.

I don't think I did.

Alex Jones and what he said about Sandy Hook (edit: words that were obviously powerful and hurtful) is being used as a gotcha to people who want to say Rock's joke wasn't worthy of being assaulted.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always find it funny how white people got so much to say but always skip over posts by people of color and ignore what we have to say every fucking time

I always take a deep breathe when I see any era thread that has anything to do with black people.
Every single time. Like let's forget nuance I guess.

The joke was bad, the slap was a bad reaction, but this isn't even the worst thing anybody has done to somebody at the Oscars.

And let's not forget how white Hollywood is using this as their scapegoat to keep people from looking at their worse crimes.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, words have power. "The pen is mightier" and such.
Good, so now you understand why people aren't jiving with folks trying to say Chris Rock's jokes were just words.

There's definitely a pattern here where the harm of words is significantly desensitized when it comes to Black targets. You can find any thread here where white people get physically checked for calling a Black person the n-word and people will still go "The Black person shouldn't have retaliated because it's just a word," but this sentiment is not shared with white/potentially-white targets of political bullying or oppression.