• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Rockstar will ever have a female protagonist?

• Yes, it is bound to happen one day

Votes: 174 57.8%
  • Don't think they ever will

Votes: 127 42.2%

• Total voters

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This question has been debated for a while. People have debated this, and while I like to think the next GTA will be the first time, I don't know if Dan Houser and company is up for it. They seem to love writing their masculine characters and hyper masculine male characters that I don't ever see them breaking their comfort zone. We know from RDR and RDR 2 that they can write great female characters, but will they ever pull the trigger and have a playable woman protagonist.

This question isn't asking if you think they would do a good job or bad job with a female protag, or if they should or shouldn't but just if they ever will

2424896-here.png

Aine

May 27, 2019
The real question you should be asking is "Can Rockstar be trusted with a female protagonist?"

Oct 30, 2017
With their biggest games? I highly doubt it.

They will not do anything that might effect some of the sales.

But I would of course love to.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, judging by what we know of senior management there they'd never be interested in it.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, at least as a sole protagonist. If there's several like in GTAV, I think it's possible.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
If in GTA VI they go again with multiple playable characters, like in GTA V, I fully expect one of them to be a woman.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Prior to Sadie Adler, I would've leaned far closer to no. She was incredible and the response to her was big, I can't imagine the game AFTER their next (depending on how deep into development they are with their next game) doesn't have a playable female protagonist.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I really doubt it considering the dudebro demographic their games generally cater to. I would like to be proven wrong though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
A game with a standalone female protagonist? I think it'll be a while. However, if the next GTA also has multiple protagonists one of them will definitely be a woman.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wasn't Bully 2 going to have a German girl as the protagonist, according to casting calls?

edit: Looked up what I was referring to and it's this.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the next GTA will have a female protagonist. Been long overdue imo.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If GTA6 has multiple protags again, ill bet one of those will be a woman.
If going foward they stick to one protag then were in for the long haul, but eventually they will get to it.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I see em making a female protag in a all new Rockstar game. I don't see em making a female protag in one of their main. Those games are targeted to a certain demographic and that certain demographic wont want to see a female as a lead. I recall them San Andrea's first reveal days.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
If they do it, it will almost certainly be a male character with a female skin.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Does GTA 1 count as a Rockstar game? Company mergers and such can be confusing.

Anyway, Rockstar is all about the money nowadays so they probably won't until they think a female protagonist can make as much money or more than having a male protagonist.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't they? They certainly aren't one to care about one a minority of the people playing will think if they do. San Andreas is a good example of that.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because RDR2 was like the perfect opportunity to pull off DLC similar to GTA IV with characters like Sadie.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd love it if they did, but I doubt they will. GTA with a female protag would be great and I'm sure they could write a good story around it.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I think they will if they continue with the multi protagonist route for GTA.

They can start with some Sadie Adler or Black Belle DLC, though.

OP
OP
Dragon's Game

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
it is interesting to think about how there is a huge amount of women that are fans of GTA and R* in general , despite how masculine-centric and male their games, themes, stories, have been

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks because RDR2 was like the perfect opportunity to pull off DLC similar to GTA IV with characters like Sadie.

I loved playing as John Marsteon in the epilogue, but I think it would of worked better with Sadie as the playable character instead since you don't have to shoehorn what she does to fit in with Read Dead Redemption 1

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them doing it. Given the stories they've wanted to tell in the GTA and Red Dead games I can see why it hasn't happened - you generally play as an unremarkable low-rung gang member, and I think being a woman would have to be a central point in the story of a female protagonist. I don't think they are equipped to tell that story.

I can imagine a female officer co-protagonist in a new GTA game, though.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 was full of magnificent female leads. Sadie outshined John, a character I thought was basically untouchable (well before Sadie and Arthur).

Abigail was absolutely amazing. I can't say more without spoiling but she certainly stood her ground multiple times with and without violence to both "good and bad guys".

Mary Beth, Ms. Grimshaw, Tilly and even Karen were unique and motivating. I never felt like I had to protect them, but that I had to treat them as equal family.

So yeah, R* is entirely capable of handling a female lead and (super small act 3 spoilers) and even handling race + gender inequalities.

OP
OP
Dragon's Game

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
here's an article of Dan talking about this issue

"
"In the future, could we do a game with a lead female character? Of course," he added. "We just haven't found the right game for it yet, but it's one of the things that we always think about. It didn't feel natural for this game but definitely for the right game in the future--with the right themes, it could be fantastic. But for GTA V, this was the organic thing that came up, these were the characters what [sic] would display the themes we wanted to think about."

people might not like this answer..but here it is

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
it is interesting to think about how there is a huge amount of women that are fans of GTA and R* in general , despite how masculine-centric and male their games, themes, stories, have been

It doesn't seem that odd to me. Rockstar games are usually very good and women don't automatically just hate stuff because it is masculine-centric.

Kind of reminds me how Life is Strange 1 has a lot of male fans despite it starring mostly female characters.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, eventually.

contrary to popular belief when you examine the gta games closer, it actaully has a fantastic track record when it comes to variety. Of course, all the leads are men, but - you had a gta where all the main cast was black, you had a gta with a chinese lead, you had a gta with a eastern european lead (as a eastern european myself I really appreciated this), you had Luis who was Dominican ... then you had Michael who was middle aged, fat, and a bit of a loser - not your average videogame protag.

As for "the Housers cant do a female protag justice" arguements - RDR 1 and 2 both had great women in it. Bonnie, Abigail, Sadie... hell, Sadie could very well have been a secondary protagonist.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I think they will, but it will be a multi-protagonist game, and only one of the 3 protagonist will be a female. It'll probably be GTA 6. I doubt they'll ever make a big game with a female-only lead. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course.