• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a LOT will change once the next gen consoles come out along with AMDs solution on the PC. Then most games will start featuring it on some level.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
You watch my videos per chance?

PC players, are not a monolith of single desires. We all want different things.

Depends on the RT implementation type.
Yes, I watched but really I did not see how walking right up to a window or a metal pole to see your reflection justifies a 50% hit. I watched other videos that showed close to no benefits in scenes, while still halving the framerate.

It adds some immersion, excellent. But it needs to add more to take away half my framerate in a shooter, and I'm beginning to think that it's too much to ask.

I feel like they jumped the gun with raytracing tbh, but I'm still hoping there's going to be some amazing uses of it. There has to be because there's pretty much nothing else for a few more years.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For now it's a resource hog, but in the future it may be as ok as putting MSAA at x8, maybe x4 after seeing the below GTA5 comparison. Hmm.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
much like i can't see a future in which all big-budget games run at high framerates, i can't see a future in which big-budget games will skip over raytracing entirely

and the workflow benefits from the development side shouldn't be overlooked, either: i'd imagine a world without lightmap baking is an appealing one

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes to both. We are already seeing less taxing implementations, but good visuals and fidelity will always take a toll on performance.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Here to stay. There's only so much you can do without it, games have been sorely lacking raytracing.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
RT is awesome. Evan with my mobile 2060 RTX I had some good RT results in Control, Metro and Q2RTX. This is like the implementation of Shaders, a game changer. I'm glad that NVidia started. I can't wait for AMD to implement it as well.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pure realtime raytracing/pathtracing is the future! That said, the hardware implementation we have now is just a weak middle step of getting there. I am super exited that we now finally gonna have a console implementation of that middle step, meaning it will force hardware manufacturers to push their tech more and more each generation to get to actual true realtime raytracing.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is when games will start requiring it, as devs letting raytracing do all the work in lighting will mean that they don't have to divert time and resources to faking it anymore. This isn't Tesselation or Hairworks or PhysX where it's all nice but optional - this is an actual game changer.

yeah this is the biggest question, now that Raytracing can actually be used in real time in a satisfactory way, its only a matter of time before devs jump in and decide they want to use those resources to no longer take the time to fake it, decreasing dev time etc. I think sometime in the middle of this console generation we might see some 3rd party games do this for the PC if they feel they can make up for any potential loss in sales with the consoles.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Here are some examples of ray-tracing in PC games.

Wolfenstein Youngblood's implementation (reduces framerate by 50%)

Control (reduces framerate by >50%)

Metro Exodus (reduces framerate by 20-30%)

Battlefield 5 (reduces framerate by over 50%)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (reduces framerate by >40%):

Now, visual effects can obviously improve over time (DLSS went from a joke to being cutting-edge and probably the main standard for next-gen in like 9 months) and games built around ray-tracing may show the effect better than games that add it on as a lowest priority thing, but ray-tracing has just looked pretty meh so far to me and these performance hits have been massive.

Everyone can bet their life that Ray Tracing will be the future of real time graphics.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It's the inexorable, irrefutable future of video game graphics. There is no debate against this. Rasterization may still be used to some degree in the future, but a majority of the rendering will be raytraced or pathtraced as optimization gets better and hardware can catch up.
It seems like it's really difficult for some people to grasp this, a fully ray/path-traced real time rendering solution is the logical future of graphics, it may seem expensive now but performance will improve as the transition progresses.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I expect this to go like all major new graphics advancements. It starts as a resource hog and then it becomes something that just exists as part of the whole package half a generation later.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yes, I watched but really I did not see how walking right up to a window or a metal pole to see your reflection justifies a 50% hit.

It adds some immersion, excellent. But it needs to add more to take away half my framerate in a shooter.
I think RT is quite a lot more than a one off example I use in a video to prove a specific point (in that Wolfenstein example I was trying to just prove a point about how small the reflections can be). It can be completely entirely scene transformative:

Off:
withoutkdkq1.jpg

On:
withafj1r.jpg

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely the future. While performance now seem bad, things can only get better. Newer and more capable GPUs will come out. Also developers will be able to utilize ray tracing in more efficient matter.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing has always been the holy grail of gaming/3D graphics, it's not a question of if, but when.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Pure realtime raytracing/pathtracing is the future! That said, the hardware implementation we have now is just a weak middle step of getting there. I am super exited that we now finally gonna have a console implementation of that middle step, meaning it will force hardware manufacturers to push their tech more and more each generation to get to actual true realtime raytracing.
And this is when I jump in, until that, I won't get overpriced cards that try to sell a gameworks type of RT to then dump it after the real thing (not locked to a card) show up. I don't even like the way some of the RT changes look in that Wolfenstein Digital Foundry video (the chrome rail for example).

I like my incredibly high framerates, and free sync (gsync compatible) monitors. This new gen is going to be exciting, especially with SSD becoming more important on the PC side hopefully.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
For PC, sure, I'm still cynical on how well these consoles will handle Ray Tracing at a decent frame rate. Perhaps when the technology develops to be optimised for consoles in the future. Still insist most games aming for a solid 60 FPS or above or open world games will use traditional lighting techniques.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is when I jump in, until that, I won't get overpriced cards that try to sell a gameworks type of RT to then dump it after the real thing (not locked to a card) show up.
What makes you say that? RTX is just accelerating DXR, and everyone can use DXR, it's pretty open for every GPU vendor. Once devs make optimizations to DXR, RTX will benefit from that as well.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's the inexorable, irrefutable future of video game graphics. There is no debate against this. Rasterization may still be used to some degree in the future, but a majority of the rendering will be raytraced or pathtraced as optimization gets better and hardware can catch up.
Sure but right now basically useless to include in your game.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think it won't be implemented in console games next generation, not any that aren't first-party technical showcases at least. Even with 12 teraflops or whatever, it's still massively intensive.
It may become the standard in realtime rendering, but not soon.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
on PC a vast majority of people (me included) don't have the rigs capable of handling raytracing so I certainly hope developers will develop games with those folks in mind and not make raytracing the only standard.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
this is the future, and devs are probably friggin stoked to be able to utilize it in their games like this. idk why anyone WOULDNT want raytracing to become the new standard.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone looks at Ray tracing and say it doesn't add enough.

Even just ray traced shadows makes the objects in the world so much more connected and set in the environment.

Idk if anything Sony or Microsoft announces for the consoles will beat the fact we're getting hardware ray tracing. It's so exciting.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I think a more appropriate question is how long until hardware catches up and you're playing games on 60fps+, 4k res and RT.

2 Gens if we are talking minimum fps and next easy if we are talking peaks.

We already are near it and with optimizations don't see why we can't. Hardware has caught up to the point the industry isn't giving the feature to us as a marketing gimmick for consoles but as feature games will actually be able to use. Gaming hardware has made huge strides in a 20-30 year span on this topic.

Idk if anything Sony or Microsoft announces for the consoles will beat the fact we're getting hardware ray tracing. It's so exciting.

A solution that uses compute and hardware RT to give me the best look and performance would be a start.

For PC, sure, I'm still cynical on how well these consoles will handle Ray Tracing at a decent frame rate. Perhaps when the technology develops to be optimised for consoles in the future. Still insist most games aming for a solid 60 FPS or above or open world games will use traditional lighting techniques.

Why be cynical?

Most consoles devs worth a damn have proven they will get a lot done with a little the past two gens with no rt hardware and hacks. You don't think the best 15 studios that make console games won't adjust to superior lighting model that will leave them with less problems and guess work or optimizaiton eventually? I could easily name 40 devs who will no problem enjoying rt and what it allows when they feel it's approriate.

The consoles next gen will have strong cpus, some form of rt solution and gpus that easily are 2060 levels or more. 4k 60fps is out of the question but not 1080p or 1440p in a console environment certainly not 4k30fps.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
After playing Control with RT on I am 100% in. I believe it is the best looking game I have ever played and a lot of it is because of how natural the lighting looks.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
on PC a vast majority of people (me included) don't have the rigs capable of handling raytracing so I certainly hope developers will develop games with those folks in mind and not make raytracing the only standard.
It's not going to be like this year. But it is going to be. Long term it's senseless for devs to continue to do all of the extra work involved in NOT using it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think RT is quite a lot more than a one off example I use in a video to prove a specific point (in that Wolfenstein example I was trying to just prove a point about how small the reflections can be). It can be completely entirely scene transformative:

Off:
withoutkdkq1.jpg

On:
withafj1r.jpg
At first I thought I'd go for the performance over the RT version, but it seem like the RT version may eliminate the need for ambient occlusion. Does it? Does RTX take the place of more stuff as well? Subsurface, screen space, etc. AO too, that could be how it makes up for it's pricey performance cost.

What makes you say that? RTX is just accelerating DXR, and everyone can use DXR, it's pretty open for every GPU vendor. Once devs make optimizations to DXR, RTX will benefit from that as well.
That's good to know, going by Nvidia's past features I figured it was one of their gameworks class experiments, something like Physx.
Witcher has so many gameworks features that I just leave off even though it doesn't seem to effect my performance much, though it does keep me from max framerate of my monitor.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
My guess is it will mostly used as ambient occlusion and not much else for this gen, too resource hungry even counting it's the first gen.

And, honestly, there instances where flat and unnatural lighting looks/works better.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I think in this coming gen it will mainly be implemented in linear games, or linear sections in games. The Last of Us Part II, Resident Evil 3, or an interior section in Spider-Man 2 (a lab, office, apartment, etc.).

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

Off:

On:

Okay, yeah, it's a lot less flat, and that is what I've been wanting from games for a long time now... but 50% of the frames.... come on Nvidia. Losing 50% of the framerate is a massive loss for anything, especially fast-paced games where you might not even get to really appreciate the difference (?). In an RPG, I'll take it.

Add some more RT cores, something...

I don't disagree with the future being about raytracing but right now...when we've had so many years of similar limitations in games from the PS3 to PS4 era...to sacrifice it all is a lot to ask without killer implementations.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
"Our game will run at 4K/30fps"
"So does that mean there will be 1080p/60...?"
"As for our 1080p mode, we have the game running with RTX at a solid 30fps"

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
At first I thought I'd go for the performance over the RT version, but it seem like the RT version may eliminate the need for ambient occlusion. Does it? Does RTX take the place of more stuff as well? Subsurface, screen space, etc. AO too, that could be how it makes up for it's pricey performance cost.
RT GI in metro replaces screen space AO, among other things.
Okay, yeah, it's a lot less flat, and that is what I've been wanting from games for a long time now... but 50% of the frames....
In metro it is not 50% of the framerate though. On the High setting, which is what the developers recommend and not ultra, it is decidedly less.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm expecting some games to completely ignore it in favor of better performance but raytracing adds more than just prettier graphics. It open up a lot of possibilities with more realistic lights and mirrors (we'll definitely see some next gen games using mirrors as a gameplay element). It can also be used for more realistic ambiance sound.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about ray tracing for consoles so far is everyone seeing a light and asking for confirmation if it's ray tracing or not (mostly Godfall related). I feel like this is going to be a trend for a while, lol.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
It's the future and scaling methods will help close the gap on performance if the method is good, like DLSS in Wolfenstein YB.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Given enough time for the GPUs to improve, RT (as well as higher resolutions) will become a standard in game rendering.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of the question whether it is the future or not, the problem I see at the moment is that it comes at the worst possible moment for consoles. On the one hand, there's still that push towards native 4K rendering and current high-end GPUs are more or less managing this by now, so 4K@30fps on next-gen consoles seems to be a realistic goal, overall (4K@60fps is already looking dicey though).

...in comes raytracing and throws a whole bunch of spanners into the works with its massive hardware requirements.

...and if that wasn't bad enough, TV manufacturers are already starting to gear up for 8K displays and you can bet your ass that they'll be hyping the shit out of those a few years down the line.

So in short, yeah looks neat and everything, but I just don't see the hardware capable of providing the necessary rendering power for 4K@60fps *with raytracing* for another ... I don't know, 6-8 years perhaps.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait for the end of next gen to maaaybe get a graphics card that can do RTX. They will have work to do with optimization on consoles first anyway, and if we are lucky they'll get to it on PC in the distant future.

I expect them to let PC players eat massive performance increases instead though.