• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering the load times we've seen, I don't think it needs it TBH. It seems to cold boot games as fast as quick resume gets you into them.

People say this but are you forgetting all the third party games that stick a load of unskippable logos at the start of their games?

No quick resume like on the Xbox would be terrible, and activities is not the answer. I don't think it's an issue anyway as I'm sure they'll have it.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Of course it should have it. As a user you don't want to sit through splash screens and being able to quit a game at anytime without having to worry about when your last checkpoint was is freeing. Fast loading doesn't fix those two things.
There is a big difference between loading into a game quickly and quick resume. Even if the SSD let's you load a game in a second or two, you still have to go past the splash/intro screens, load up your save, then go into your save. With quick resume, you bypass all that crap. You go exactly into the game the millisecond where you left it, bypassing the intro/splash screens, not needing to reload your saves, etc. It is a gigantic difference.

Yea. I had a lapse in my own memory about having it be exactly where you are vs a few quick splashes.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
also mant games dont let you just save anywhere (roguelike, platformer, sports, many fps, hell most games except western rpg)

i doubt sony can do quick resume easily though - the feature is possible on xsx because of the hypervisor running the xb os as a host. Like snapshotting a virtual machine

Yes, actually, didn't even think about this. This basically allows you to have artificial save points, save points the game developers didn't intend to have available to the gamer. Wonder if this breaks certain games, making them too easy.

I don't think you'll be able to resume from a resume point more than once, and then it really doesn't make the game any easier. That is, if you die in the game, you won't be able to retry from the resume point, only from the game's normal checkpoints/saves.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm not planning to get a PS5 any time soon I really hope so! I'm pretty fond of the feature as my thread from earlier today would suggest and it would definitely make me more interested in purchasing the console at some point. Even if it just supports suspending between two games I think that would be incredibly useful.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I think the biggest advantage of Quick Resume is just the ability to save those pesky games that don't let you save at any moment. Death to autosave only!

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't think I'll use it to swap between games, but more of a save state if I'm swapping to a movie, or heading out or whatever. Can even shutdown everything and restart exactly where I was.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, while quick resume is impressive on Series X, I'd rather be able to jump into any save file right away from the OS and save some very scarce disc space. I can live with waiting a couple of seconds longer.

What if you're in the middle of a cutscene and need to leave your home? What if you're nowhere near a save point during your play? It's not just about fast loading.

Mooreagreen

Apr 3, 2020
That feature for Xbox Series X where you can quickly resume exactly where you left after going to another game or turning the console off sounds so convenient. And you can do 4 games at a time.

Video for reference:

I'm planning to get the PS5 first, I just want to know if it has been confirmed to have this feature.
Yes but with some differences. You can jump not only into games where you left off but online lobbies as well. You can also manually create save points and share them with friends so they can pickup exactly where you left off. You can use PIP to watch your friend's stream of them playing while you play. You can pickup your suspended play on a mobile device. Speed wise it should be on par with quick resume but like quick resume it will depend on the complexity of the games you have in a suspended state and network connection.

I am thrilled that consoles have finally tackled this issue and it will be such a welcome change.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
From the PlayStation Studios thread. Person currently leaking PS5 videos confirms equivalent feature:
This is the person posting the videos of PS5

YgiK95R.jpg

one

Nov 30, 2017
I bet Quick Resume on XSX can magically skip loading screens between chapters. I have no idea how.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
From that standpoint it is unlikely that PlayStation, with an understanding of what SSDs enable in storing game states, does not have an answer to Quick Resume.
I think even for software it's unlikely that there is feature parity, because that ultimately assumes that...
  • both companies rate feature the same
  • Both companies started developing the same features
  • Both companies have the same basis (we know this isn't the case, because Xbox uses VM for their games and Sony doesn't for example)
  • Both companies have a infinite amount of programmers
And it assumes you press a button to develop these features. Software can take years to develop and I think resetera or should I say some on resetera should really stop with their "it's software. Of course there is parity" argument. It's already bad when people assume there is hardware parity (see RDNA2 features).

The possibility of Sony having Quick Resume is absolutely there, but I dislike the blindly assumption that there is just feature parity. There are a lot of arguments against feature parity and if QR really works, because they utilize the VM, then that's more difficult to do on PS5.
From the PlayStation Studios thread. Person currently leaking PS5 videos confirms equivalent feature:
Would be very cool!

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
What if you're in the middle of a cutscene and need to leave your home? What if you're nowhere near a save point during your play? It's not just about fast loading.
I dont know xbox, but ps4 had this for years... even the psvita. You just pause and go to sleep mode whenever you want.

The difference with the quick resume is to be able to get into multiple games at any point without the need to actually "close" them. Like a multiple sleep mode for games.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
*Afaik. Strange that sony literally would never mentioned at all days before launch when the competition is using said feature and a selling point
Yeah, strange that we have a feature that is confirmed to be part of the PS5 UI (Switcher) that they haven't talked about yet.
Maybe they want to be able to still generate headlines during the week leading up to the launch while their competition is releasing their consoles a few days ahead which will undoubtedly generate a ton of buzz.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Not at launch but Sony invented that feature on consoles with the psp go and they reserved a fuck ton of space for the os. I'm sure it'll come.

might come at launch, their suspend functionality works already pretty flawless on ps4, not sure if it saves gamestate to ram.or hdd when you put the console to sleep, but this will be like a natural continuation of it with multiple games.
kind of sure that switcher thing is exactly for this.

would have been nice to have some confirmation this close to launch for sure, maybe at 6th

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
So I was reading this thread and the other thread about what people wanted in their quick resume "list" and when I started thinking more deeply about it this is a feature that I don't want without some answers to my questions:
  • What triggers the saving of a quick resume state? When you launch a new game while another is running? When you turn off the system without exiting a game? Probably both I would assume.
  • How many games can be in quick resume state? 5? 7? Is it variable based on the amount of memory used by the game added to the QR list? Unclear. Not exactly a dealbreaker but should conceivably be something they could easily answer.
  • What causes a game to be removed from the QR list? Going over the max number of games that are saved in the list seems like the obvious answer, but I'm not sure that anyone has said anything definitive, so it would be nice to get clarity. Could certain games be more "valuable" to keep in the list? Hold on to that RPG but dump the shorter game? Always keep 1st party games? Who knows.
  • What happens to the game that is scheduled to be deleted from the QR list? This my big concern. Say you launch the game that exceeds the list's constraints. Is the first game in the list going to be removed? Yes? What if I was mid-mission? Progress lost? Does it prevent me from launching this new game and show a warning message first? Or does it just go ahead and wipe that first game without any messages?
  • Can we put a lock on certain games so they don't ever get removed from the list? It might be neat to assign titles to a favorites list.
  • Can we designate certain games to never go on the list? Some tiny arcade games may not need to have a state that is remembered. Or I may have only tried it once and decided I didn't like the game, but it might get added to the list when I launch the next game, unless I had greater control.
Without the answer to what happens when it removes a game from the list, I'm not sure the actual feature has enough merit.

tl; dr: When a game is removed from the Quick Resume list we don't know if it will kill our unsaved progress, so give us clarity, otherwise I'd rather just skip it.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I hope in the settings of the Switcher you can choose how much SSD space you reserve to the function.

I also hope one of these settings is called all in, and takes 8-13GB each time you install a game such that you can always have all your games installed in suspend mode and it never asks you to do house cleaning. With 730GB of usable disk space, that would be something like 10 games having a size of ~60GB + 13GB for their save state. I don't need more.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
But if MS is focusing on it, shouldn't that be the very reason why Sony should show it off? It would give the, "see, that feature isn't exclusive" energy. Definitely be a factor in the preorder decision.

That is not really how the market leader should behave: they have their own timeline. You have2-3 months to figure out your decision based on sold out PS5 pre orders so I would go with Xbox anyway if quick resume is such a big factor in your purchasing decision

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Is quick resume really that important now? games on the new consoles are loading in seconds.

Or is just to be able to pause a game at any point?

Oct 30, 2017
Is quick resume really that important now? games on the new consoles are loading in seconds.

Or is just to be able to pause a game at any point?
I think it's about pausing at any point.

Being able to duck out during a cutscene or other tense moments effectively gives the player full control over their game saves. No progress has to be lost.

Also, it helps bypass artificially long load screens. Apparently DMC5 SE still takes like 40 seconds to boot up while loading levels only takes about 3 seconds.

It also has some other small uses. If you actively wanted to test something between two games, it would be quite easy. Want to run a comparison between two Call of Duty games? Very easy to toggle between two games.

Edit: I think much of this generation is about quality of life enhancements.
Xbox especially with their unified platform approach and big effort with enhanced BC.
The integrated Playstation store, activities, quick resume, PIP shareplay, help videos, time remaining estimators, etc. all are going to go such a long way to lowering the barrier to a player enjoying their games.

Much of the QoL improvements are designed to keep consumers engaged. Curated challenges, activities, information, and quick loading all reduce the mental excuses players make to not play.

"Oh I only have ten minutes left in this level. I'll stick it out"
"Oh I do want to play but I'm not really in the mood to sit through the loading screens to get into the game"
"Oh look a new level dropped and I can jump right in. May as well give it a try"

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming there is quick resume, I wonder if it will be tied into 'activities'. In that you can suspend and resume activities - such that you could, if you wish, have different levels/activities from one game suspended/resumable. Or I wonder will it be 'one per game', and if you try to launch an activity in a game you already have suspended, it'll warn you that the other will close.

/random-thoughts

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might not let you do it with as many games as Xbox, but you'll be able to do it with at least 3, just judging from the Switcher app icon.

Oct 30, 2017
It might not let you do it with as many games as Xbox, but you'll be able to do it with at least 3, just judging from the Switcher app icon.
Of course more is better. But even having 2-3 games would be pretty damn good.
I'm sure gamers will take advantage of multiple quick resume states for their games. But being able to do 2-3 would be pretty damn good.

Especially since it does appear the PS5 OS footprint is a bit smaller. (IIRC)

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Spider-Miles less than 10 seconds from cold boot to in-game? Seems quick enough to me. Even that Xbox video posted is about 5-6 seconds for quick resume

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Assuming there is quick resume, I wonder if it will be tied into 'activities'. In that you can suspend and resume activities - such that you could, if you wish, have different levels/activities from one game suspended/resumable. Or I wonder will it be 'one per game', and if you try to launch an activity in a game you already have suspended, it'll warn you that the other will close.

/random-thoughts
That would be great but also very hard to implement/not compatible with all games. Dumping your RAM to an SSD is one thing but loading it while also having to take into account actions you did in other save states of the same game... yeah that seems near impossible to do system-wide.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That would be great but also very hard to implement/not compatible with all games. Dumping your RAM to an SSD is one thing but loading it while also having to take into account actions you did in other save states of the same game... yeah that seems near impossible to do system-wide.

Yeah, I guess you could end up with weird anomalies or out-of-order sequences of events or something, unless the system is very robust to concurrent 'activities'/game sessions. And maybe that would be hard to do at a system level, or universally.

So yeah. I won't be greedy and expect that.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 Special Edition taking like 50 seconds to boot to menu on PS5 because of tons of logos and stuff reminded me that, yes, Quick Resume is still a VERY important feature.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are really missing the point of Quick Resume here. Yes PS5 loads fast, this is about suspending multiple games exactly where you left off.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Wasn't Spider-Miles less than 10 seconds from cold boot to in-game? Seems quick enough to me. Even that Xbox video posted is about 5-6 seconds for quick resume
One game, hardly representative of all games loading times. Quick resume is faster and puts right back where you left off, it's no comparison.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I guess you could end up with weird anomalies or out-of-order sequences of events or something, unless the system is very robust to concurrent 'activities'/game sessions. And maybe that would be hard to do at a system level, or universally.

So yeah. I won't be greedy and expect that.
Well now that I think about it, it could actually work if some activities had a 'resume to main state' option. Basically there is a main branch like the campaign in Sackboy and you can jump at any time to some smaller activities like collecting the hat in that particular level and at anytime you can resume to the main branch and there would be game-specific metadata shared between different states to let the main branch know what was the outcome of the activity, like unlocking a new object.

For instance, I think we do not know what happens if you complete an activity? Probably will default back to some menu but the idea of going back to a custom previous state sounds more interesting.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
One game, hardly representative of all games loading times. Quick resume is faster and puts right back where you left off, it's no comparison.

Agree on Spiderman not necessarily being representative, and agree on the convenience of quick resume. But weren't a lot of the examples of quick resume longer than 5-6 seconds? In a video I watched it seemed to be generally more like ~10s, except for Ori. Maybe there's a newer video on more recent firmware though.

'Quick resume' on PS5 could end up being technically slower than just a cold load of some games like Spiderman, at least if you're not also suspending your current game (and writing to disk, depending on the cost of writing to disk on PS5). Although I agree, in terms of getting you back to your last point of play, it would still be one button press vs 2-3+, is less mental friction etc. (so I'm totally onboard with quick resume options, please!).

DMC5 Special Edition taking like 50 seconds to boot to menu on PS5 because of tons of logos and stuff reminded me that, yes, Quick Resume is still a VERY important feature.

And direct-gameplay shortcuts, that skip boot cruft, for the 'new/cold load' case. Which I hope games will support.

Last edited:

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I don't think it needs it, I think PS5 will allow direct loading to your last save point from the main UI

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
It's kinda crazy that this comes out (in some regions) next week and there's still so much we don't know about it. Normally by now we know the micro detail of every feature and have seen all the launch titles and their reviews. It comes out in less than a week and it's like they don't what you to know too much until after you've bought it. So weird.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
It's kinda crazy that this comes out (in some regions) next week and there's still so much we don't know about it. Normally by now we know the micro detail of every feature and have seen all the launch titles and their reviews. It comes out in less than a week and it's like they don't what you to know too much until after you've bought it. So weird.
The embargo should be lifted this Friday hopefully so one week before the official release

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
To all people that still don't believe such a feature won't be available for PS5 at launch in any form, what do you think the switcher icon will do? like switch your avatar? switch off your console? or it's just there as place holder & it is a useless icon? why does it even show the icon of currently played game!

As for why Sony not talking about it yet. probably because it's limited in numbers & no where as robust as the series x, which can be viewd as negative that they want to reveal in a controlled manner.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's missing the point of Quick Resume entirely. With Quick Resume you can continue a game from the same exact point in time where you left of.
It's a standard resume feature for multiple games. IDK. I don't hop between multiple games generally (outside of fighting games, which the feature is nearly useless for), and I typically call it quits at save points even with resume. The feature wouldn't make a difference for someone like me.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

PS4/XB1 will fade into the background once the gen marches on, and for the most part load times will be pretty similar to Spider-Miles once gen 9 takes over in earnest. With games getting shortcuts on the dashboard as well, I think by and large it won't make a huge difference when we are talking about 8 seconds vs 12 seconds or something. I certainly don't plan to use the feature, regardless of seconds saved.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it needs it, I think PS5 will allow direct loading to your last save point from the main UI

Thats not the same as Quick Resume. Its not about loading the game fast and then loading the checkpoint fast. Quick Resume allows you to continue multiple games EXACTLY where you left of.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
The embargo should be lifted this Friday hopefully so one week before the official release
Ah yes, it's the Xbox that's Tues, and the PS5 Thu. Still, it's weird. I remember knowing so much more about PS2/Xbox, PS3/360, PS4/XBOne before their respective launches, not just a week before. Heck, for most of them there were even demo pods in shops weeks before launch.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Thats not the same as Quick Resume. Its not about loading the game fast and then loading the checkpoint fast. Quick Resume allows you to continue multiple games EXACTLY where you left of.
It must have it surely. PS4 has it, albeit for one game at a time ( so long as that game isn't made by FROM or it'll send you back to the menu screen before it reconnects to the servers), taking you right back to where you left off.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Ah yes, it's the Xbox that's Tues, and the PS5 Thu. Still, it's weird. I remember knowing so much more about PS2/Xbox, PS3/360, PS4/XBOne before their respective launches, not just a week before. Heck, for most of them there were even demo pods in shops weeks before launch.
Yea but this time things are different due to Corona. i even believe things were not ready at one time like the software And that's why Microsoft first sent a dummy box then they allowed only showing the box till finally the OS, similar to what they did to Surface Duo where they didn't allow the press to show the OS till they updated it later.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it, if you mean as a similar solution to what Xbox is doing... PS5 will probably get a enhanced (via SSD capabilities) version of the existing suspension and resume system that we already have.