• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 8, 2018
That feature for Xbox Series X where you can quickly resume exactly where you left after going to another game or turning the console off sounds so convenient. And you can do 4 games at a time.

Video for reference:

I'm planning to get the PS5 first, I just want to know if it has been confirmed to have this feature.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
On the UI reveal, there was something called Switcher. If they went from Sackboy to Destruction All Stars, there was no warning that Sackboy was going to close.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've not kept up at all but I thought this was basically a default feature across both platforms? only maybe different in how many concurrent apps you can have open.

edit: don't need to quote/respond to this anymore, I know it's not a default feature or announced. I've seen the other posts^^

Last edited:

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
The Playstation 4 has been doing this for 7 years. Of course the PS5 will support it. Multiple game state being saved I'm not sure but there was a menu called Switcher and they swapped between two games instantly.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Assume that it doesn't since Sony hasn't talked about it.

But they have plenty of time to talk about it.

Also, the console launches next week.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Do you need quick resume when cold starts take 5-7 seconds? It would be nice, but I assume it would have been leaked by now if it had it. If they manage to make cards for our save files that allow us to boot right into the save, that would be better than QR imo.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If they have it, why haven't they shown it off? Just to stop people wondering.

I mean, they probably do but still.

Sony has been drip feeding news for months, so who knows. That being said, the "switcher" function was in the UI reveal video if people looked closely, so that's most likely their version of quick resume. We just don't know what exactly it entails yet.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The Playstation 4 has been doing this for 7 years. Of course the PS5 will support it. Multiple game state being saved I'm not sure but there was a menu called Switcher and they swapped between two games instantly.

Being able to suspend one game is not quick resume. OP is asking if you'll be able to suspend multiple games at once, which is something the PS4 and XB1 cannot do.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
And you can do 4 games at a time.
more than 4
I've not kept up at all but I thought this was basically a default feature across both platforms? only maybe different in how many concurrent apps you can have open.
no it's never once been mentioned regarding the PS5
multiple games is what we're referring to here, not suspend/sleep.
The question is does it persist through a power cycle? That's the important bit for me.
it does

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Are you sure ps4 has been doing it? Iirc ps4 only save 1 game like xbox one do today, and if you unplug the console or switch the game, you lose the save.

Beaten. Its suspend mode

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
No it won't have "Quick Resume," that's a Microsoft buzzterm.

I hope that answers your question.

Jan 29, 2018
Ah shit I just assumed both consoles would be able to do this but you're right Sony hasn't mentioned it. Ah well, being able to suspend just one game is enough for 90% of the time anyway.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need quick resume when cold starts take 5-7 seconds? It would be nice, but I assume it would have been leaked by now if it had it. If they manage to make cards for our save files that allow us to boot right into the save, that would be better than QR imo.

Well, the good thing about quick resume is not that the game starts quickly, but the fact that you're back exactly where you left.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe not, but it's still nice to have especially since pre-main menu splash screens probably aren't going anywhere.

I love your avatar by the way!

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, while quick resume is impressive on Series X, I'd rather be able to jump into any save file right away from the OS and save some very scarce disc space. I can live with waiting a couple of seconds longer.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. If it does, why not showing it already? And in the case it does, I don't think it'll be close to the XSX QR, having 7-8 games suspended at the same time. Maybe two games?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sony hasn't said anything officially, but the UX video may have suggested it.

When logging in, the Switcher icon in the Control Center is quickly shown before it's replaced with the currently running game. This surely looks like a multitasking/quick resume button as many speculated. But this is more evidence than just a game's icon.

TbWWDem.png

ZDFdTq6.png

9kNWH1L.png

Nice find.

Also may have already been noted, but in the UI video around 7:11, when joining the Destruction AllStars match, it didn't ask if he wanted to close Sackboy: A Big Adventure.

76XhuC0.jpg

P0zhUqw.jpg

0lxlBy1.jpg

But yeah all we have is speculation atm.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
London
People point to the UX video but I'm not so sure that the "Switcher" menu item and the activities are proof of the same type of quick resume that the Series X and S have. I really would like to see them demo this feature this week.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
We saw hints of its existence in the UX video. We don't know for sure yet until next week. I just want it to let us keep 2 games running for the feature, that's all I need.
People point to the UX video but I'm not so sure that the "Switcher" menu item and the activities are proof of the same type of quick resume that the Series X and S have. I really would like to see them demo this feature this week.
There was also a "Suspend your games" message, which is different from the current one on PS4 which mentioned game and apps or something like that. That's another hint.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

people keep saying this, but it isn't remotely the same thing.

a 'quick resume' type feature works like a save state since it gets you back into the action right where you were. It can put you in the middle of a boss fight, for example.

loading a save game will likely set you back a bit, at the last save point.

Ideally, I'd like to have both.

Yeah, while quick resume is impressive on Series X, I'd rather be able to jump into any save file right away from the OS and save some very scarce disc space. I can live with waiting a couple of seconds longer.

Quick resume is optional. You can turn it off.
options are always a good thing, please.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
SSD is so fast...does it need these features? Quick resume I think is now part of everything you do.

Turn system off, turn back on and resume your game in like 5 seconds.

Put system in standby, resume game in 5 or less seconds.

Switch between games in mere seconds. (Not sure you can 'queue' up a couple)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
ZDFdTq6_d.webp

The second icon from the left is for 'Switcher', a PS5 feature we've heard nothing about. When a game is played it is replaced by the icon of that game, which suggests it is some 'game swapping' feature.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X mostly have feature parity, so it would be surprising if the PS5 lacks a feature that highlights the SSD.

In any case we aren't sure. It could be that the PS5 doesn't have a 'Quick Resume' feature. It could be that they have it, but the comparison to XSX might be unfavorable (like fewer game states held). 'Switcher' could also be something different entirely.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
We know what the PS4 is doing (one game) is on PS5. And the PS5 will be more power efficient of doing it than PS4.
That part is official.

After that, there the "Switcher" icon. Add to the fact there wasn't any prompt on the UI video when the player goes from Sackboy to Destruction All Star, implying Sackboy goes in "freeze" mode.

So, overall, yes. How many games ? We don't know.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

a 'quick resume' type feature works like a save state since it gets you back into the action right where you were. It can put you in the middle of a boss fight, for example.

Yes, I wouldn't mind having the option either obviously.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox "Quick Resume" is honestly one of the biggest features I'm looking for. Especially with gamepass. Being able to spin through a bunch of games and pick up right where you left off instantly is huge.

It's basically like how PCs hibernate. All of the game in ram gets written to disk.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the good thing about quick resume is not that the game starts quickly, but the fact that you're back exactly where you left.

this

WAY better than jumping into save files (that would need to be implemented per game anyway)

imagine a rogue like or a platformer, hell whatever..you get an invite to a multiplayer game.. play the match and switch back to your run in your roguelike

oh and Sony WONT have this - i a sure about this for the simple reason that sony would have advertised the feature otherwise

...and this forum banned me for saying this last time so here goes

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

for me the biggest clue was the lack of warning that Sackboy would close & you'd lose any unsaved progress which the PS4 OS is very vigilant about

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it will even though with the loading times shown on already on some PS5 games I'm not even sure it's needed (apart from 'saving' the exact instance of a game).

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I have a feeling the Switcher thing is it, but it may not do as many games as the Series X which I think is fine. When is the next information embargo for PS5?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't understand why they wouldn't show this feature when they first announced the thing had an SSD in it. Like, that's got to be one of the premier uses for an SSD right?

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I think the PS5 will have some version of quick resume. The lack of information surrounding the feature is suspect though considering Sony has a history of just not acknowledging something that they don't want to draw attention to. An example of this would be the whole cross gen debacle.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't this require a decent chunk of hard drive space? PS5 will probably let you do it for 2 games or something to conserve hard drive

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Does turning it off open up the reserved ssd space?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will, at least at launch. Someone linked an interview in Japanese and the translated wording made it seem like Sony has no equivalent of Xbox's quick resume.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
If they have it, why haven't they shown it off? Just to stop people wondering.

I mean, they probably do but still.
People keep asking this question!

They probably aren't making it a focus because MS is, and they had shown it off first.

We know they have a process for moving game RAM to store onto the SSD for storage as that's the only way the standby mode could be so efficient.

The big question is how much have they expanded it. I think it is a very safe assumption that it will support at least two games.