• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
We know for a fact that the PS5 cable work fine with Dark1x LG CX, and i trust more someone that know what he's talking about that some people reading a label and state something that they don't even know nothing about.

We don't know what "works fine with LG CX" really mean. Obviously we all understand what he's trying to say but it's not a confirmation.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
John from DF strongly hinted it works fine on a CX. So it should bea HDMI 2.1 cable after all.

Last edited:

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
[Mod Edit] Removed Quote

Great news! I guess that settles it after all and it's just not labelled with "ultra high speed" for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
[Mod Edit] Removed Quote
Did you get the okay to post this?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yes, it can. The main differences are the simultaneous higher end things like higher end GSYNC/Freesync AND other things like HDR/VRR all simultaneously.

That's the part that you or anyone posting otherwise are missing.

It's not the cable or even my 3080 or the ps5, it's the display that is the limitation because 2.1 is broken/incomplete on the display end.

So all this bickering about the cable means nothing to those trying to make it a negative if a PS5 can't do all the 2.1 bells and whistles.

The PS5, XB, and PC all have this issue regardless of this cable people are making such a big deal about. Your display matters way more right now.

I have a LGCX, I know.

I have news for you, neither can a 1500$ 3090 or my 700$ 3080. NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE A HIGH END MONITOR. And that's with a NON CERTIFIED GOOD HDMI 2.1 CABLE.

Not mad btw but emphasizing the main points.
I reckon you have an over spec 2.0b cable if you're able to do 4K/120 with HDR as that's way outside of the 2.0b specs.

As per the HDMI spec FAQs:

Source.

You should share a link to the cable you bought, sounds like it might be a good buy for some people. Personally sticking with 2.1 cables myself, but they're about 3 times the price of a 2.0b cable so no doubt someone could benefit from a good quality 2.0b cable.

If you have a 3080 and LG CX, then please check if you can enable 4K120Hz resolution on the TV with 4:4:4 color with HDR enabled. If you can, then your cable is HDMI 2.1 compliant and I rest my case.
Belkin 48gbps 2m and Zeskit 2m cable as well.

It does, I posted about it a few weeks back in the g-sync thread. 4:4:4 4k120 HDR has been working for me with both cables

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Belkin 48gbps 2m and Zeskit 2m cable as well.

If you have a 3080 and LG CX, then please check if you can enable 4K120Hz resolution on the TV with 4:4:4 color with HDR enabled. If you can, then your cable is HDMI 2.1 compliant and I rest my case.
Sorry, I'm a little confused, if that Belkin cable is listed as 48gbps, it's a 2.1 cable not 2.0b

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
[Mod Edit] Removed Quote
so its a cable supporting of the HDMI 2.1 spec, but just not called "Ultra high speed", i know that there is some weirdness with HDMI cables regarding certification like that so I am not totally surprised that this is the case.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
[Mod Edit] Removed Quote
Crisis averted! Good to have confirmation.
I'd still like to know if the PS5 UI runs at 120 fps.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
nothing in the branding or description says certified. They do the job though.

Zeskin:
The Zeskit 8K series Ultra HD High Speed HDMI cables...

Bandwidth: 48Gbps

This 16ft cable complies with HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS)

Belkin:
Supports 4K/120Hz resolution and frame rates; transfer speeds up to 48Gbps;

This Ultra HD High Speed HDMI cable...

You've bought 2.1 cables, not 2.0b, they don't need the official certification hologram to be 2.1 cables.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Zeskin:

Belkin:

You've bought 2.1 cables, not 2.0b, they don't need the official certification hologram to be 2.1 cables.
Brother,I am more than aware as I've done my own exhausted research weeks ago when I had my hdmi 2.1 device, the 3080.

I'm saying we've had no official certified cables. These do the job but I'm not debating against your point. I've been informed about this for a while. That's why the cables work but the first certified cables are only starting to come out.

All this about the cable means nothing when consumer displays, including my 65"CX, cannot do all the hdmi 2.1 features simultaneously yet. High end monitors can.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Brother,I am more than aware as I've done my own exhausted research weeks ago when I had my hdmi 2.1 device, the 3080.

I'm saying we've had no official certified cables. These do the job but I'm not debating against your point. I've been informed about this for a while. That's why the cables work but the first certified cables are only starting to come out.

All this about the cable means nothing when consumer displays, including my 65"CX, cannot do all the hdmi 2.1 features simultaneously yet. High end monitors can.
Apologies, I've misunderstood what you were saying, looking back I see you said you had 2.1 cables - I thought you said you had 2.0b - my mistake :)

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I have just recently been down the rabbit hole of HDMI's needing to upgrade them due to not being able to cope with the bandwidth needed for 4k/60 HDR RGB. They were HDMI 2.0 and kept dropping signal so I would keep getting black screen when running the Cold War beta. I have now had to stump up £150 for a 10M optical HDMI which is gets me stable 4k/60 HDR now without any signal dropping. It seems there is 2 different types of HDMI 2.0 there is 18gbps and 24gbps. 18gbps HDMI 2.0 you will struggle with as the bandwidth is not high enough for 4/60 HDR, 24gbps can just manage it. Obviously HDMI 2.1 is way better but for me my current setup can't do 120fps so 4k/60 hdr is all I needed and a 10M HDMI 2.1 was a lot more.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt this is true.
I'm sure there will be an appropriate cable in the box

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's this have to do with people trying to get confirmation regarding the boxed cable being hdmi 2.1?,

Probably more relevant than people bringing up what cables the PS3 launched with but you had not problem with those post. Also the label on a cable means nothing if it matches the required specs needed for 2.1 support.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems a few people have confirmed, why on earth would Sony have an embargo on the hdmi cable?

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone keeps throwing around hdmi 2.1 cable as if that's some sort of spec. Am I missing out on something here? There's no official 2.1 cable cert is there? We just need to have a cable capable of ~48gbs which isn't even something particularly special over such a short run.

There's no way they don't include a capable cable in the box, and even if they didn't, a monoprice one is what, $10? Y'all just bought $2000+ tvs for 4k/120.

-edit-
Off the HDMI spec page for 2.1: https://hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

And please note that NO use of version numbers is allowed in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a few people have confirmed, why on earth would Sony have an embargo on the hdmi cable?
There isn't a specific embargo on the cable. It's just that the embargos that have been lifted so far are around very specific things: Unboxing, DualSense, and the first level of Astro.

People under that embargo are better staying safe by not talking about anything outside these until all embargos are lifted.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
For people who say it's strange to include even that small bit of an info into NDAs, I'll just have to remind you about how Van Halen always requested a bowl of M&Ms but without any brown ones, and could just leave if that wasn't honored. And only after a good while they revealed why that request was important - if the avenue holders skipped on "unimportant" details in tour riders, then what could they screw up on very important ones, like the pyrotechnics and light show?

Maybe the "no info on cables too" is a way to ensure who reads and honors NDAs fully, and who doesn't care about that.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I have just recently been down the rabbit hole of HDMI's needing to upgrade them due to not being able to cope with the bandwidth needed for 4k/60 HDR RGB. They were HDMI 2.0 and kept dropping signal so I would keep getting black screen when running the Cold War beta. I have now had to stump up £150 for a 10M optical HDMI which is gets me stable 4k/60 HDR now without any signal dropping. It seems there is 2 different types of HDMI 2.0 there is 18gbps and 24gbps. 18gbps HDMI 2.0 you will struggle with as the bandwidth is not high enough for 4/60 HDR, 24gbps can just manage it. Obviously HDMI 2.1 is way better but for me my current setup can't do 120fps so 4k/60 hdr is all I needed and a 10M HDMI 2.1 was a lot more.
Your issues are caused by the run/length of the cable, not the bandwidth. A certified 18gbps cable will have no issues with 4k60 hdr at rated lengths.

OP
OP
dusan

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
This uncertainty made me very suspicious, while writing Ultra High Speed on Xbosx cable, PS5 cable only says High Speed. So, after watched some tests, I bought this brand's Ultra High Speed 2.1 cable to be ready on PS5's release day.

If the same cable comes out with console, I will use this for the TV in my room.

belkin_ultra_hd_high_speed_hdmi_cable_1557915931_fcbfd940.jpg

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This uncertainty made me very suspicious, while writing Ultra High Speed on Xbosx cable, PS5 cable only says High Speed. So, after watched some tests, I bought Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI 2.1 cable to be ready on PS5's release day. If wrong, I use it for the TV in my room.

belkin_ultra_hd_high_speed_hdmi_cable_1557915931_fcbfd940.jpg

Do you work for Belkin?

OP
OP
dusan

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Do you work for Belkin?
What the hell do you mean? There was this cable in all the tests I watched and I decided to buy it. Anyone can buy any brand they want.

Anyway,

As you can see, the Xbosx cable says Ultra High Speed, but the PS5 only has the High Speed text. This made me suspicious and I decided to buy that ''X'' brand's cable, just in case.

Xbosx

screenshot_2020-11-03lbjav.png

PS5

screenshot_2020-11-03xjj2h.png

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna use the same hdmi 2.1 cable in my pro and literally just connect it to ps5 instead when I replace the pro with ps5. Save me going to the back of the tv and disconnecting.

when I got my LG CX last month I upgraded the cables to 2.1 as well even if the devices didn't support 2.1 features like the PS4 pro.

for me all I'll have to do is just change the power cable asit's a different connection compared to the pro. The rest of the leads, hdmi, Ethernet, external hdd will be just swapping them out of the PS4 pro to the ps5.

I hope the lg CX tv detects the new output as ps5 and changes the name of the hdmi input from ps4, but I can just change it myself manually if it doesn't.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell do you mean? There was this cable in all the tests I watched and I decided to buy it. Anyone can buy any brand they want.

Anyway,

As you can see, the Xbosx cable says Ultra High Speed, but the PS5 only has the High Speed text. This made me suspicious and I decided to buy new X brand's cable, just in case.

Xbosx

screenshot_2020-11-03lbjav.png

PS5

screenshot_2020-11-03xjj2h.png

Ha, sorry. Was just a joke.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
How does a 'good' hdmi-cable compare to a 'bad' one? They cost like from 3 dollars to 300 dollars

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How does a 'good' hdmi-cable compare to a 'bad' one? They cost like from 3 dollars to 300 dollars
No such thing as a 'good' hdmi cable or a bad one, as long as its from a reputable company and fits the spec it'll work. This is especially true for normal use (couple feet, just connecting console to TV). If you're doing some long run (3m+) then you might need a better quality/more expensive fiber optic cable for 8k or some crazy 4k/120fps setup but for most people's needs any cable that you can find on monoprice or something similar should do the job provided it has the right bandwidth.

(Edit: Video posted below is a good watch, explains it better)

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Because most people didn't have HDMI TVs.

We have confirmation that it's HDMI 2.1already, including in this thread.

If worst comes to worst and it's not. I can survive on native 4k 60Hz for a few days while I wait for a cable.
I think that confirmation got walked back.

I think it's important to remember that a "High Speed" cable can be faster than the rated 2.0b spec, and we might see folk (John @ DF) using it fine with a 2.1 setup. We also might find that a month or two down the line he or others keep getting weird intermittent issues with their PS5 <-> TV connection when running high bandwidth titles which go away when they use an actual 2.1 cable.

Honestly, a 2.0b cable is fine for 99% of people, I'm certainly going to be using the cable that's in the box, even if it is 2.0b, until I replace my C7 TV.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Your issues are caused by the run/length of the cable, not the bandwidth. A certified 18gbps cable will have no issues with 4k60 hdr at rated lengths.
Yes I know but the previous cable I was using was also a 10M Fiber Optic HDMI 2.0 cable rated to 18gbps and it kept failing. Admittedly it was a cheaper but highly rated one off Amazon (and certified according to the ad), cost me £55 so not dirt cheap. It claimed it could handle 18gbps but after doing some digging seems these cheaper cables often can't do 18gbps and can often only do around 15-16gbps. Obviously this issue only becomes apparent when you have the hardware to actually push the bandwidth in these cables.

4k/60 at 4:2:2 will use 17.82Gbps and at 4:4:4 will use 20.05Gbps for HDR10/HLG and 24.06Gbps for DV. So if you have a cheaper cable until you actually start running 4k/60 at 4:2:2 with HDR you won't know if you have an issue with a 18Gbps cable. If it can only push 15-16Gbps of it's advertised speed then that's when you start losing signal on your screen which is what happened to me.

Edit - For the record I have always been a fan of buying cheap HDMI cables and this was the first time when that has bit me on the ass.

docs.google.com

HDMI Data Rates for 4K HDR Formats

Sheet1 HDMI data rates for 4K HDR formats Resolution,Frame rate,Chroma Subsampling,Bit Depth per channel,HDR formats,HDMI Data Rate,Required link speed,HDBaseT compatible Source 3840x2160p UHD,23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30,4:2:0^,8,none,8.91Gbps,9.0Gbps,Yes 10,HDR-10 & HLG 12,Dolby Vision 4:2:2,8,non...

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I think that confirmation got walked back.

I think it's important to remember that a "High Speed" cable can be faster than the rated 2.0b spec, and we might see folk (John @ DF) using it fine with a 2.1 setup. We also might find that a month or two down the line he or others keep getting weird intermittent issues with their PS5 <-> TV connection when running high bandwidth titles which go away when they use an actual 2.1 cable.

Honestly, a 2.0b cable is fine for 99% of people, I'm certainly going to be using the cable that's in the box, even if it is 2.0b, until I replace my C7 TV.

I'd be surprised if DF is wrong but then again we don't know what they're testing and whether it's pushing the limit of the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.