• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
One of the big surprises to me coming from the PlayStation 5 event was discovering Insomniac had not only one, but two games in productions and ready to be unveiled. We had Spider Man Miles Morales coming with the PS5 in 2020 and Ratchet & Clank at a later point (but with some gameplay shown).

I was wondering if Playground Games could do the same at the Xbox July Event. It's my understanding that Turn 10 next gen Forza doesn't seem to be ready for 2020 but a racing game would great for a console launch to showcase some unique features like ray tracing. That's why I'm thinking Playground Games could do like Insomniac : having a new Forza Horizon title (based on FH4 ?) for launch, and having the RPG Team also finally show their work (Fable ?).

What do you think ?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft is no stranger to showing CG trailers of games that are not in any way ready for primetime. If they feel like showing what Playground is working on, I'm sure they'll show them.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would be a big surprise, it's been known since years ago that Playground is a big two-team studio, Insomniac only had a main team + a VR team up until now.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Entirely possible since, reportedly, it's two different teams working on Fable and Forza Horizon. That being said, I don't think anyone is expecting Forza Horizon 5 this year.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Turn 10 doing a normal Forza game at launch? Can't imagine they want a normal Forza and Horizon at the same time, so I would expect Horizon for holiday next year.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I could see a Motorstorm-esque arcade racer using the Forza Horizon engine and Fable showing up

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
PG games is a very talented and efficient studio. I wouldn't be surprised if they had/showed demos of both games in July running on XSX.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PG has two team so yes it is possible

But I don't expect to see Forza Horizon 5 in July. Forza 8 is what I am expecting

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you'll see anything on Forza Horizon besides some enhancements to the existing games. Forza Motorsport will be the one talked about if anything. Seems like they are taking their time with Forza anyway, I have my doubts that it will launch with the console.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
One of the big surprises to me coming from the PlayStation 5 event was discovering Insomniac had not only one, but two games in productions and ready to be unveiled. We had Spider Man Miles Morales coming with the PS5 in 2020 and Ratchet & Clank at a later point (but with some gameplay shown).

I was wondering if Playground Games could do the same at the Xbox July Event. It's my understanding that Turn 10 next gen Forza doesn't seem to be ready for 2020 but a racing game would great for a console launch to showcase some unique features like ray tracing. That's why I'm thinking Playground Games could do like Insomniac : having a new Forza Horizon title (based on FH4 ?) for launch, and having the RPG Team also finally show their work (Fable ?).

What do you think ?
I think we'll see Fable from Playground Games and no Horizon 4, because Turn10 should be further along with their Forza game.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I actually think it's likely. Fable is more likely than Fable and Forza Horizon though.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure about the RPG team yet , looking at there opening on Artstation they have yet to filled key position role of Art Director & Animation Director.
Even the position of associate art director is yet to be filled, so not really sure if they can produce an in engine segment representing gameplay or they will go for Blur studio style cinematic , giving a glimpse of the setting and mood of their new RPG.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
There's no reason why they couldn't, but I don't see a Forza Horizon coming out this year and I don't think a longer hype cycle would really help that game. It's also a foregone conclusion that a new Horizon game will launch on the Series X eventually so announcing it does nothing.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I don't think it would make sense to show a new Forza Horizon before showing a new Forza Motorsport, whic is long overdue.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Fable has been such an open secret for years at this point, not sure why they wouldn't finally acknowledge it.

Seems we have no idea what we're getting next for racing: Motorsport, Horizon, or FH4 DLC.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Whilst Playgrounds has two full separate studios now, there are rumours that they want to take an additional year with FH5 to mix up the formula and take advantage of next gen. The FH games have always been unveiled just a few months before release, so it'll be next year.
I don't think it would be a big surprise, it's been known since years ago that Playground is a big two-team studio, Insomniac only had a main team + a VR team up until now.
Insomniac has always had multiple teams at any one time - they have that in built flexibility. PS3 gen for example they were outputting both Resistance and Ratchet games simultaneously. In 2013 they output FUSE and Ratchet Nexus same year, and then Sunset Overdrive just a year later.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
It would not benefit anyone to show Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Motrosport 8 at the same time so... NO

I think maybe Rare could show a second game, or maybe Ninja Theory despite having released bleeding edge a few months ago, but I don't think so anyway, it's not common to reveal two games from the same studio at once even for studios with more than 1 development at the same time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It would not benefit anyone to show Forza Horizon 5 and Forza Motrosport 8 at the same time so... NO

I think maybe Rare could show a second game, or maybe Ninja Theory despite having released bleeding edge a few months ago, but I don't think so anyway, it's not common to reveal two games from the same studio at once even for studios with more than 1 development at the same time.
Rare has Everwild next.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Personally don't think so. I think it's commonly accepted at this point that there's going to be a traditional Forza title at or around launch so there's no way MS would show another Forza title in production at the same time. I think that it'll be mid '21 at the earliest before we hear about the next Horizon title.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Makes no sense to show every game straight away, we will see turn 10's game, but it would be good to see what they have done with Fable.

Like the PS5 event, it sounds like people are raising expectations through the roof again.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Personally don't think so. I think it's commonly accepted at this point that there's going to be a traditional Forza title at or around launch so there's no way MS would show another Forza title in production at the same time. I think that it'll be mid '21 at the earliest before we hear about the next Horizon title.

There is?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac has always had multiple teams at any one time - they have that in built flexibility. PS3 gen for example they were outputting both Resistance and Ratchet games simultaneously. In 2013 they output FUSE and Ratchet Nexus same year, and then Sunset Overdrive just a year later.
Yes, but that is the team that transitioned into VR games.

It is, of course, flexible because Spider-Man entered development before R&C reboot launched, but in general it was just one team handling two projects (one of them almost finished) at once.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
i think that is Motorsport time now dont?
i really hope that we can see the RPG from playground.
i hope they can amaze me like guerrilla made with horizon!!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PG have 2 teams now, so it's entirely possible. Only issue is, would MS be ok with attention being shared with Motorsport? For me I don't play Motorsport series but I do like to admire how beautiful they look, a Forza Horizon 5 in Japan would completely overshadow Motorsport for me. But perhaps that's ok, and MS just wants fans of all tastes hyped.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure about the RPG team yet , looking at there opening on Artstation they have yet to filled key position role of Art Director & Animation Director.
Even the position of associate art director is yet to be filled, so not really sure if they can produce an in engine segment representing gameplay or they will go for Blur studio style cinematic , giving a glimpse of the setting and mood of their new RPG.
using Artstation and LinkedIn job ads isn't the best way to measure the progress of a game project also If i remember correctly shinobi602 said something about their 2nd project being much farther along than most thought and again IIRC he also said it would be shown in July. shinobi602 I hope I am not remembering it all wrong. lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Turn 10 confirmed that they're working on it and it''ll have been 3 years between Forza 7 & 8 by the end of the year. I don't think there's anyone out there who doesn't think it'll be a launch title.
Uhh many if you follow the the development of the game in the XGS thread and what they are planning.
Klobrille posted a great summary of it in April

EZ7U5QIXYAAzAjQ

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
i think that is Motorsport time now dont?
A motorsport game should've happend last year if we look at the typical 2 year cycle. But Turn10 got more time and we don't know if PG (FH team) will get more time aswell. I think FM8 is more likely this year, but anything could happen and FH is significantly more successful than FM currently. Thus maybe PG didn't get 3 years like FM and will release this year, while FM gets even more time to work on their pillars.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If we see Fable, please don't just be CG

We know that it exists, it's not going to hype me (but it'll hype casual audience which is the target ofc)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt they'll show Horizon at the July showing. This is almost certainly a Motorsport year and they wouldn't normally show both Forza titles at the same conference.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If we see Fable, please don't just be CG

We know that it exists, it's not going to hype me (but it'll hype casual audience which is the target ofc)
The less GCI the better for the show. Hopefully we get some first party games with gameplay like Sony did. I think that was great.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
using Artstation and LinkedIn job ads isn't the best way to measure the progress of a game project also If i remember correctly shinobi602 said something about their 2nd project being much farther along than most thought and again IIRC he also said it would be shown in July. shinobi602 I hope I am not remembering it all wrong. lol
Oh he said , didn't know about that, well than chances are the RPG game will be 100% there. and I agree that Job opening's are not a good indicator of a project's timeline , but I pointed that out cause its one of the key position for a game to have.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Uhh many if you follow the the development of the game in the XGS thread and what they are planning.

EZ7U5QIXYAAzAjQ
Obviously it's open to interpretation but those quotes don't dissuade me that there'll be a game out at launch. To me it sounds more like the game will be out and they'll be working on development going forward with fan feedback.

Hey, I could easily be wrong though!

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Microsoft is no stranger to showing CG trailers of games that are not in any way ready for primetime. If they feel like showing what Playground is working on, I'm sure they'll show them.

Fable will likely be an in-engine trailer yea, maybe some gameplay snippets. If you mean a CGI trailer, I don't remember MS doing that at all recently. Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Everwild, HB2 were all using engine cinematics.

Forza has almost always been shown with gameplay because racing games are generally in a near finished state by E3.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
But it's not Forza Horizon time, is it? Forza Motorsport is next. Or will they break the cycle? :P

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think there needs to be a racer for launch and if Forza Next isn't ready, I presume we'll get Horizon 5: Tokyo Drift (I hope).

Unless of course they give Turn 10 a 4 Year Dev so it's ready for 2021 and PG also a 4 year for 2022.

I reckon we could just see Series X Enhancements for both 7 & H4 if Microsoft wanted.

Also, make Flight Simulator the break-out Launch Title instead!

"Where Series X is going...we don't need roads!"

But it's not Forza Horizon time, is it? Forza Motorsport is next. Or will they break the cycle? :P

Motorsport 7 came out in 2017. That's a 3 year gap because they are changing the formula I believe. And as noted above, they still not ready.

So unless they giving PG 3+ years as well...Horizon 5 might be ready for Launch.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Fable will likely be an in-engine trailer yea, maybe some gameplay snippets. If you mean a CGI trailer, I don't remember MS doing that at all recently. Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Everwild, HB2 were all using engine cinematics.

Forza has almost always been shown with gameplay because racing games are generally in a near finished state by E3.
Crackdown and Phantom Dust were the two ones that most recently came to mind.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

That's curious. So far it seemed that the big strength of Turn 10 was to deliver very high quality frequently and reliably, whereas GT as their man competitor may be higher regarded, but only releasing games every 4 years or so. FM doing the same would certainly raise expectations for the series...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
No, but I could see two games from Ninja Theory (Hellblade 2 and Project Mara).

I also wouldn't be surprised to see two games from Obsidian (Grounded and their big 'AAA' project).

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they were to, I'd hope that they'd be out within a year of launch like I expect Ratchet and Spider-Man to be. Any further than that, hold back.