• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CherryGodzilla
Jul 31, 2020
I don't think it's very likely. Emily Rogers told us a while ago that Pikmin 4 is rebooted but even if she got her wires crossed, I think the game might have hit a roadblock either creatively or in terms of resources at some point. It's pretty clear that among the EPD developed titles it's not a very high priority compared to other series.
When exactly did she tell us that it got rebooted? I don't remember.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
I am still amazed that this was never officially cancelled or shown. it just exist as a comment made by miyamoto.

This isn't our first rodeo. Pikmin 3 only existed as a comment from Miyamoto for 4 years. He 'announced' Pikmin 3 at E3 2008, made further comments every now and again about how it was still progressing and we didn't see it until E3 2012.

Really wish we could get a normal development cycle with this series for once but it is what it is.

I personally think it's canned with how low budget the 3 port was
If they could get Pikmin 3 running in only 720p docked and 540p handheld, I don't even want it. So I just hope no. No.

Absolutely not. First off between the added prologue and epilogue, co-op, and Piklopedia Pikmin 3 DX has an argument for having the most substantial additions for a Wii U port not named 3D World. The resolution compared to other Switch ports is disappointing but to hope a series dies because a port team dropped the ball a bit on one aspect of the port is completely ridiculous. Get out of here with that.

Pikmin has always been a series where Nintendo flexes their graphical muscles and I have complete confidence whenever Pikmin 4 hits it will be one of the most gorgeous games on the Switch.

Additionally, 3 Deluxe was the first game in the series history to move 2 million units and it did so in less than five months. A deluxe port of a seven year old game. I'd be stunned if Nintendo didn't consider it a success and cemented the need to get Pikmin 4 out on Switch.

Pikmin 4 is coming. Just a matter of timing. Nintendo has enough in the pipeline right now to where I'm not expecting it at this E3 but it's not impossible. Feels like a Summer 2022 game at the earliest and they've still got their entire 2021 Fall slate to announce. So probably not, but as we've seen already this year with Splatoon 3 Nintendo isn't afraid to announce projects farther out than others in odd orders.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. So many other Nintendo series I'd like to see instead like Kid Icarus, Punch-Out, Star Fox etc. so more of those please and less of series like Arms, Animal Crossing, Pikmin and Pokémon.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but it's not a big enough game really and Nintendo knows this. It'll do a few million copies. So it'll be ready when it is ready. Given Pikmin 3 just came out on Switch last year, I think they'll give the franchise some time. Maybe 2022-2023 release of Pikmin 4

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but it's not a big enough game really and Nintendo knows this. It'll do a few million copies. So it'll be ready when it is ready. Given Pikmin 3 just came out on Switch last year, I think they'll give the franchise some time. Maybe 2022-2023 release of Pikmin 4
as some pointed out 3 did really well on switch. unsurprisingly so but well it did.

Oct 26, 2017
Miyamoto will announce it during a private interview, which means it'll release approximately 8 years from now.

Last edited:

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
When do you think it was rebooted? 3 or 4 years ago? An announcement this year could be likely.

Yeah given Emily made that comment in February of 2019, that's at least two and a half years of development right there, albeit the last one and a half COVID-hobbled. And the wording of that implies at least to me that the 'reboot' was oldish news by even that time, but that may very well be me looking too far into things.

I truly do believe we'll be seeing it soon.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Seriously can't believe people still think Miyamoto was talking about Hey Pikmin; lol. Nintendo PR's response to Eurogamer in 2017 (after Hey Pikmin was announced, and set to release in a month) was "Pikmin 4 exists, but we can't say more than that right now".

I don't think it shows up this year though. It was rebooted around late 2017/early 2018 apparently, but 2022 feels like the right year for it.

OP
OP
CherryGodzilla
Jul 31, 2020
Seriously can't believe people still think Miyamoto was talking about Hey Pikmin; lol. Nintendo PR's response to Eurogamer in 2017 (after Hey Pikmin was announced, and set to release in a month) was "Pikmin 4 exists, but we can't say more than that right now".

I don't think it shows up this year though. It was rebooted around late 2017/early 2018 apparently, but 2022 feels like the right year for it.
I'm starting to feel that way too. I mean, how long could it take to make a Pikmin game? It's not like Pikmin is BotW.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
It's from the Pikmin wiki and the "source" for the claim is the 2016 & 2017 Gamespot and Eurogamer articles that people have long believed Miyamoto was talking about Hey! Pikmin as it doesn't have a transcript of the interview. If Pikmin 4 is in development there is no publicly available information indicating it.
In a response to the 2017 Eurogamer interview, Nintendo explicitly stated that Pikmin 4 was the title in question. "We can confirm that Pikmin 4 is in development but that is all we can confirm at present."

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't think 2021 likes me enough for Pikmin 4 to show up.

BUT they've got that Pikmin app coming out soon so…

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Movies and book franchises take long hiatuses all the time folks. Just ask Mad Max, GOT, and Terminator fans. Why would games be any different?

Dec 2, 2020
This isn't our first rodeo. Pikmin 3 only existed as a comment from Miyamoto for 4 years. He 'announced' Pikmin 3 at E3 2008, made further comments every now and again about how it was still progressing and we didn't see it until E3 2012.

Really wish we could get a normal development cycle with this series for once but it is what it is.

Absolutely not. First off between the added prologue and epilogue, co-op, and Piklopedia Pikmin 3 DX has an argument for having the most substantial additions for a Wii U port not named 3D World. The resolution compared to other Switch ports is disappointing but to hope a series dies because a port team dropped the ball a bit on one aspect of the port is completely ridiculous. Get out of here with that.

Pikmin has always been a series where Nintendo flexes their graphical muscles and I have complete confidence whenever Pikmin 4 hits it will be one of the most gorgeous games on the Switch.

Additionally, 3 Deluxe was the first game in the series history to move 2 million units and it did so in less than five months. A deluxe port of a seven year old game. I'd be stunned if Nintendo didn't consider it a success and cemented the need to get Pikmin 4 out on Switch.

Pikmin 4 is coming. Just a matter of timing. Nintendo has enough in the pipeline right now to where I'm not expecting it at this E3 but it's not impossible. Feels like a Summer 2022 game at the earliest and they've still got their entire 2021 Fall slate to announce. So probably not, but as we've seen already this year with Splatoon 3 Nintendo isn't afraid to announce projects farther out than others in odd orders.

Totally agree. Also when it comes to the resolution of the Switch port there were two thoughts 1) they wanted to keep the resolution the same for both single player and split screen so it didn't seem to get blurry in multiplayer for people when they switched between the modes in docked mode and 2) Pikmin 3 uses some very memory bandwidth heavy effects like depth of field and many alpha transparencies like the fire, jelly creatures, fur and water effects (memory bandwidth is by far the current Switch hardwares biggest bottleneck).

Pikmin 3 also started development as a Wii game. A built for the ground up Switch game would be stunning looking with a much better lighting model and much better textures.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Can I recommend The Wild At Heart for some Pikmin-lite adventuring for PC/Xbox.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

Lol bro Pikmin 3's extra content uses zero new assets. They are remixed mission modes. There are zero new assets made for this game outside of UI directions for coop

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Pikmin might be favorite Nintendo franchise at the moment. I'm cool with a Pikmin trilogy for switch.

Pikmin is so damn good.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
It starts with basic things, like objects stuck in places where pikmin are unable to find a place where they can reach them (like a dead bug too close to a wall). That sometimes happens even with fruit that hasn't even been touched yet, making it difficult to pick up that fruit and suggesting that some QA corners have been cut before release.
Then there's stuff that happens less often, like when I killed a big enemy in a tight bridge-like space - this was on the Corroded Maze map, where a Bulborb sleeps on such a bridge close to your base. When you kill him, his body might end up slightly to the edge of the bridge, and when your pikmin attempt to pick him up, they will, of course, take a moment before realizing which way they need to go. What happened was, they wandered even more to the edge, which made the Bulborb fall off with all the pikmin I have assigned to picking him up. After a few seconds, the dead body respawned, but the pikmin were, of course, lost.
Another annoying bug was related to squad management. In the heat of a battle, I had several pikmin left in my squad once, but wasn't able to use them, presumably because they were stuck in a Medusal Slurker or something. When that happens, or when your pikmin get stuck behind a wall somewhere, they are typically removed from your squad until you're able to reacquire them. Trying to use pikmin that you're supposed to have at your disposal but actually don't can be quite confusing and in this case, it cost me the match because I panicked and it took me too long to regroup.

Before getting Pikmin 3 Deluxe, I've been playing the original Wii U game in Bingo mode for years, and I don't remember ever encountering any of these issues during that time, perhaps with the exception of fruit being sometimes a bit tricky to pick up. I've only played Bingo in P3D several times so far and I'm overwhelmed by the lack of polish. I'm still going to play that version going forward because, quite frankly, taking a Switch with you to a friend beats having to pack a Wii U, but it's a bummer.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It starts with basic things, like objects stuck in places where pikmin are unable to find a place where they can reach them (like a dead bug too close to a wall). That sometimes happens even with fruit that hasn't even been touched yet, making it difficult to pick up that fruit and suggesting that some QA corners have been cut before release.
Then there's stuff that happens less often, like when I killed a big enemy in a tight bridge-like space - this was on the Corroded Maze map, where a Bulborb sleeps on such a bridge close to your base. When you kill him, his body might end up slightly to the edge of the bridge, and when your pikmin attempt to pick him up, they will, of course, take a moment before realizing which way they need to go. What happened was, they wandered even more to the edge, which made the Bulborb fall off with all the pikmin I have assigned to picking him up. After a few seconds, the dead body respawned, but the pikmin were, of course, lost.
Another annoying bug was related to squad management. In the heat of a battle, I had several pikmin left in my squad once, but wasn't able to use them, presumably because they were stuck in a Medusal Slurker or something. When that happens, or when your pikmin get stuck behind a wall somewhere, they are typically removed from your squad until you're able to reacquire them. Trying to use pikmin that you're supposed to have at your disposal but actually don't can be quite confusing and in this case, it cost me the match because I panicked and it took me too long to regroup.

Before getting Pikmin 3 Deluxe, I've been playing the original Wii U game in Bingo mode for years, and I don't remember ever encountering any of these issues during that time, perhaps with the exception of fruit being sometimes a bit tricky to pick up. I've only played Bingo in P3D several times so far and I'm overwhelmed by the lack of polish. I'm still going to play that version going forward because, quite frankly, taking a Switch with you to a friend beats having to pack a Wii U, but it's a bummer.
yeah Pikmin 3 is easily the lowest budget release they've come out with in terms of remaster. It's really sad and to me an indication of whether or not Pikmin 4 is a priority

Jul 16, 2020
It would be the biggest news of the year in my household- but probably not. Also, a reboot is probably a better idea than Pikmin 4. People seem to only know Pikmin from Smash Bros.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Not sure it's been talked about here, but the fact the new "normal" (easy) mode was applied to Mission Mode and I assume Bingo Battle as well kills the port pretty hard for me. The Battle Enemies missions are trivial now, really hurts it for no good reason since you can't select the difficulty there.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Feels like it was Miyamoto's pet project, but since he's been involved in theme park and movie production the past couple years idk if they just canned it.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind if this gets delayed to Switch 2. Feels like a game that would benefit a lot from the granular details that the next gen systems can achieve. I hope the series continue though since it's one of my favorite series ever.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
As someone who just played their first pikmin game with pikmin 3 deluxe last year. I hope so i loved pikmin 3 and want more of it. Dont have acess to a wii to play the original 2. So pikmin 4 is what i want.