• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Persona 5 Royal have a higher Metascore than Persona 5?

• Yes, it will be substantially higher

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Yes, it will be slightly higher

Votes: 152 32.3%
  • It will be the same as the base game

Votes: 95 20.2%
  • It will be lower

Votes: 218 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but Persona 5 is one of the highest rated games of this generation, and one of the highest rated role playing games of all time, with its Metascore of 93. It was universally acclaimed upon release, set sales records for its publisher and series, got nominated for and won many GOTY awards, and is still the watermark for the genre this generation (the usual vocal minority on this site aside). For all its flaws, it does what it sets out to do well enough that it resonates with a whole lot of people.

Persona 5 Royal looks to be upping the ante in every possible way. It basically looks more like a retelling than an expanded re-release, with it taking the same centrral story, but adding multiple elements to it, and developing what looks to be practically a whole new game around it. Everything seems to be redone, from dungeons, to story progression, to even characters, and it seems like a lot of the common criticisms against P5 will be addressed with P5R: Morgana won't restrict you at night time as much, dungeons are completely being redone (so hopefully they will be more palatable this time), and there are multiple social events which should help address the pacing issues the base game otherwise had. The base Persona 5 is, with all its flaws, one of the best games ever made, so Persona 5 Royal could conceivably outdo it.

Do we think it will do better or worse than the base Persona 5 on Metacritic? For reference, Persona expansions typically score 3 points higher than the base game.
  • Persona 3: 86
    • Persona 3 FES: 89
    • Persona 3 Portable: 89
  • Persona 4: 90
    • Persona 4 Golden: 93
  • Persona 5: 93
    • Persona 5 Royal: ???
While I don't think P5R will score a 96 (I'm not sure any game will score that for the remainder of the generation), a higher Metascore, such as 94, is not out of question. What do you think? Given P5R's full from the ground up approach to the base game, and its apparent redressal of many P5 flaws, could it outdo the original game in terms of critical acclaim?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
93 is already damn high. Hard to get higher than that, so I expect the same score.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
93-94 so either nothing or a very minor increase imo

If it goes down then reviewers are really buggin

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not be satisfied unless it gets a full 100 like it deserves

P5R looks to be a massive overhaul to make the game so much more substantial than it already was. It has GOAT potential

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the new content is transformatively great, I imagine it will drop some. P5 was already an overly long game and reviewers are probably not going to be as nice if the new stuff doesnt make much of a difference.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
higher. it can only improve upon the original version so i don't see why it would score lower.

it's adding new content and improving pacing. it will be the superior version no doubt.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It'll likely be lower I think. Maybe not by a lot but no way 93 is happening again imo

Me thinks a 86-90 metascore is more likely. FFXIV: Shadowbeingers is the highest scored game of the year (91), right?

If P5R manages to maintain what made the OG P5 great and correct the issues of that game to outstanding effect, I can see it match or go higher than 93.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'd say that it will be the same at best. The issue with remakes is that the flaws of the game can become much more apparent when you're playing the game years after release, instead of when you're playing the game for the first time. Zelda remakes are a particularly noticeable example of this, where the games fell from a 95-6 on Metacritic to 85-90 on the remakes.

Personally, I feel that Persona 5 is similar to Mario Odyssey where it is a game that feels incredible on the first playthrough, but one where the flaws become both incredibly apparent and difficult to tolerate once you're reflecting on the game, and especially so on repeat playthroughs.

Unless Persona 5 Royal addresses the (noticeable) flaws in its pacing, storytelling and characterization that people have made (the first one of those complaints is the only one I expect to be significantly improved), I do think it's Metascore will end up like the Zelda remakes.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
imo it's too low but y'know...just my opinion :D

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt interpret that "too high" as a way to bash the game, but as it is already a very good score that is hard to top

Oct 26, 2017

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Depends on how the media sees this money making scheme of releasing what's essentially a patch as a full 59,99 game tbh. If they're ok with it it'll be the same if higher, but if they have a functioning brain it'll be a tad lower.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think a lot of critics will accuse an already debatably overstuffed game of now being bloated. To be honest though, I'd be blown away if more than 10% of the critics who review it actually complete it

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how the media sees this money making scheme of releasing what's essentially a patch as a full 59,99 game tbh. If they're ok with it it'll be the same if higher, but if they have a functioning brain it'll be a tad lower.
If you have a functioning brain it should be more then obvious this isn't anything remotely resembling a patch.

Ishka

May 1, 2019
P5R may improve the game, but that doesnt necessarily mean it will score higher. It's being scored at a different time. Preferences change

As others have said, 93 is rather high already.

If I had to guess, 91 for P5R.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully lower because the relative absence of hype and expectations will temper reviews

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to go higher than 93. It's possible that it goes up to 94 or 95, but I can also see the score going slightly lower.

Honestly, I feel like the original release should have gotten a 90 or 91, with this new release getting a 93 or 94 (should it really fix some of the issues).

I guess we'll see!

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Depends on how much scrutiny its put under.There's a lot that goes into these things, for some people it's just a matter of is it a better Persona 5 in which case it would probably score the same or higher. For others it's a matter of how much better is it than Persona 5 and does the degree of improvements justify the price/whatever other metric you're going by in which case it's possible for it to score lower.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not preteding because it's not.

Imagine so upset because someone said that 93 MC is too high, imagine that.
A 5 word post that says a loved game is "too high" is a hot take when it doesnt explain any nuances to your position. Having to argue a spade is a spade though is stupid, so bye

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
If you have a functioning brain it should be more then obvious this isn't anything remotely resembling a patch.

It's improving problems the original had in pacing and engine, adding a character and changing story up a bit... For the same game. Sounds a lot like a patch to me and games like Final Fantasy released all of this for free and most games in the industry do it via free patches.

I think it's funny how people defend a "Remaster" for the same generation the original game was released in. People already brought the game... And now they're asking for another 60 dollars for people to play na improved version of it, no matter how you spin it it is very anti consumer.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think the flaws will stick out more this time, so no

Oct 26, 2017
A 5 word post that says a loved game is "too high" is a hot take when it doesnt explain any nuances to your position. Having to argue a spade is a spade though is stupid, so bye

This is not the thread to discuss Persona 5 flaws, OP asked about the MC and i said that 93 MC is already too high, i don't want to waste my time arguing with you so bye.
If you need to get defensive over a simple comment it's your problem, not mine

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the thread to discuss Persona 5 flaws, OP asked about the MC and i said that 93 MC is already too high, i don't want to waste my time arguing with you so bye.
If you need to get defensive over a simple comment it's your problem, not mine
You didnt discuss its flaws, you just tried to stir the pot cause youre too lazy to make an intelligent argument

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's improving problems the original had in pacing and engine, adding a character and changing story up a bit... For the same game. Sounds a lot like a patch to me and games like Final Fantasy released all of this for free and most games in the industry do it via free patches.

I think it's funny how people defend a "Remaster" for the same generation the original game was released in. People already brought the game... And now they're asking for another 60 dollars for people to play na improved version of it, no matter how you spin it it is very anti consumer.
if that's all you think is being changed then there's clearly no convincing you.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that it will be the same at best. The issue with remakes is that the flaws of the game can become much more apparent when you're playing the game years after release, instead of when you're playing the game for the first time. Zelda remakes are a particularly noticeable example of this, where the games fell from a 95-6 on Metacritic to 85-90 on the remakes.

Personally, I feel that Persona 5 is similar to Mario Odyssey where it is a game that feels incredible on the first playthrough, but one where the flaws become both incredibly apparent and difficult to tolerate once you're reflecting on the game, and especially so on repeat playthroughs.

Unless Persona 5 Royal addresses the (noticeable) flaws in its pacing, storytelling and characterization that people have made (the first one of those complaints is the only one I expect to be significantly improved), I do think it's Metascore will end up like the Zelda remakes.
I think the first two points are definitely being addressed, the third one I imagine is a bit harder given that they have a rigid template to work with from the base game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, reviewers can be weird with enhanced versions of games. Even though it doesn't seem to be the case with those past Persona entries I can't help but think about the Pokémon games like Emerald and Platinum scoring much much lower than the base games.
I think it will review better or the same, but there's still a chance it won't

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's... doing far more than that?

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its funny that people who dont follow that game at all apparently want to comment on the game. In what world could this be a patch

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's... doing far more than that?
Ok... So, it amounts to more than a patch... But how does it ammount to more than DLC and what justifies people who already bought the game on THE SAME SYSTEM to buy it again? And why couldn't they have it released as a 19,99 dlc or something? I mean, the overhaul is not enough FOR ME (and the original was one of my favorite gaming experiences this gen) to justify getting to Shell out another 60 dollars for the same game (no matter how anyone spins it it IS the same game, even with the added content). I do think it is anti consumer and that the release should've been handled differently

Oct 26, 2017
You didnt discuss its flaws, you just tried to stir the pot cause youre too lazy to make an intelligent argument

What do you want to know?
The horrendous pacing of the story?
The repetitive Towers and how long some dungeons are?
How easy and stupid are the puzzles?
How long is the game for its own good with padded and repetitive content?