• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I'm a gen x'er and I've been playing since the early 80's. I count myself lucky that I was born right at the start of the arcade/videogame explosion and have seen it all unfold throughout my life.

It's been a great ride and yes, I'll be playing as long as I can see a screen and use a controller.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I doubt I will play modern games. I already mostly just play saturn & dreamcast games. Those two I will probably stick with though

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Gen X'ers still seem pretty engaged with gaming, don't see why it would be different for us Millennials and younger.

I'm 46 and wil continue to play games until you pry them out of my hopefully very old dead hands. Plus I have my kids to keep me up to date when things get weird and confusing to me and I start yelling at clouds for no reason.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Yup 45 and still like it as much I can see myself playing till my hands or brain don't work.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
There are already people 70+ playing games. It's only going to become more common as time goes on.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing the games that are still around. The way people these days don't seem to care about preservation means that it'll probably become impossible to play some games, particularly stuff that was digital only when these stores inevitably close.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
With my current skillset, I'm afraid to see how much I'll deteriorate in my 50s+.
Also feel like I'll get fed up with the medium before I reach that age anyways.
Guess that's a no in my case.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
my grandma played her gameboy every day (same game - super mario land) until the day she died. She never could get past the flying stage, so one of my last memories with her is when she asked me to play through to the end so she could see what comes after.

kenneld

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Of course. My dad is a boomer and plays games all the time. It's his main hobby. He didn't even grow up with games; didn't even really get into them until his 60s.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
To a point. I see this thread pop up on Reddit a lot and I don't think the posters in it have much experience of care homes or old age.

Will I be playing games when I'm 60? Sure.

Will I be playing games when I'm 75 to 90?
Judging from my grandmother who didn't know where she was, playing Halo won't be on my mind.

Aging is a very complex process that isn't all about the numbers. Take good care of yourself, and you could live to be a hundred in relatively good health.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Well tbh, I'm almost 50, started in '77/'78 and never could have guessed that gaming would be around in 2020. Somehow I thought it wouldn't last after the collapse of Atari.

Getting older, I hope I can enjoy maybe 3-4 gens, before it's 'game over' for myself 😉

lcd

Jan 15, 2020
Yes. Care homes will just be virtual reality docking stations where we are transported in a world where anything is possible.

This actually made me think how much I've stopped thinking about the medium/long term future because of how fluid things currently are. Thanks.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ahahahahahhahahahahahaha
Have you seen my backlog?
The only way I manage to get through it all is if we manage to find a cure to death!

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
My gen will ... but your gen would rather watch some blue haired Goob on the internet play instead.
lol
just kidding.
maybe...
Probably not... Nah ... forget it
Get off my lawn

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I will continue reading books, watching films and listening to music as well

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'll be hooking into my VR sim to live my whole life over again, in such realistic look and feel that I don't even realize I'm gasping for my last breath in the real world.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If our civilization doesn't collapse until then, which is a hell of a huge IF, then yes. We'll probably spend a substantial amount of time in some form of VR.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I turned 47 today so... I assume?

Whoa, 40's gang all up in here. There are dozens of us!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Man I fuckin' hope decades from now old folks in homes are just chilling in there, playing video games.

...if climate change doesn't fuck us by then and if our generation even gets to retire.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually am looking forward to it when I'm retired and get some gaming time back. I hope wireless VR that is slim and light has been perfected by then so I may slip into my virtual escape from our flooded, over-heated world.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I made this joke years ago but it still applies - in the year 2070 a retirement community is going to bring out some old tech into the main activity area to have a fun Fortnite Classic tournament and it is going to get HEATED.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
no way. When I'm retired I'm putting the controller down. I'll be whittling and gardening which I don't currently do but of course I'm not retired.

Come on man I'm gaming until I die.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I've been thinking about this for years. The answer is obviously yes. I'm 40 and can't set my self stopping.

I look forward to paying games with my grandkids when I'm 60!

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am old, still plays games. I will say the type of games I enjoy will continue to shift.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Even when I think "I haven't been playing games lately" I realize I have and I just didn't think about them. If I do it unconsciously now in my 30s I assume I'm never going to stop.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Probably sitting down pooping my pants with a VR headset on if I live that long.

But seriously, if we are talking decades and decades, having to hold a controller like now will probably not be a thing, outside of some retro experience. Take that, arthritis.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Old people still play games just like us, it's just that video games are much more difficult to comprehend than something like baseball or Chess (maybe Chess is a bad example). If you give an old person an Xbox controller and tell them to play, they won't understand it and will likely get frustrated. On the other hand, we grew up playing video games with controllers so they are natural and familiar, and that won't go away when we're old.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Video games will be huge in retirement homes if we manage to unfuck ourselves and there's still an industry for that in 45 years. They're actually the perfect activity for elderly people who grew up with them. They're stimulating and time consuming but don't require much physical movement or skill (necessarily, depending on the game). The only reason more elders don't play them now is because they're tricky to get into, they lack the nostalgia for them, and they're not really marketed or designed for them.

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. 29 here, but I've played video games since I was like 5 and I still enjoy them as much now as I did back then. Can't imagine that ever changing. What has changed is that I can't do marathon sessions anymore. I can go for 2-3 hours, but after that I mentally need a break. That and I'm losing interest in competitive multiplayer. But stopping completely? Can't see it.

Binhoker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck yes. Hell yes. Though I do wonder about an ageing gaming populace, will there be a market for old man games, is the pixel art indie basically that already.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm 39 and I'm not stopping gaming any time soon. Been gaming since I was like 5 and the novelty isn't wearing off. If anything I'm more excited than ever about all the games coming out, from Silksong to Ratchet.