• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will PC gamers be more interested in buying Sony consoles from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 297 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 910 75.4%

• Total voters

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
As Hermen Hulst said on the PS Blog, with Horizon coming to PC, they hope to show to PC players what they've been missing out on.

I think it's important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they've been missing out on.

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.

blog.us.playstation.com

Hermen Hulst Q&A: Interview with Head of PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios

What's next for Guerrilla, upcoming TV and film projects, and the guiding principles that drive PlayStation’s network of world-class game studios.

So, would a Horizon 2 on PS5 bring more people to the PlayStation platform or the PC people will wait to see if the game will be released on PC on a later date?

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
If the games are sure to come to PC,
then probably just wait to get the best experience

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I would guess that PC players will hold out even longer now for potential ports while in the past they would suck it up and buy a console since first-party titles seemed to be off-limits.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
The goal is not to sell more consoles here, it's to sell more games. Consoles have a very low profit margin.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Most would probably just wait for the superior version but I imagine some will. Sony getting more sales is the goal. Hopefully crossplay.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it. I'd say people without a PlayStation are even more likely to just settle without one if they can get (certain) games on PC now.

I imagine the idea behind this is to continue to monetise on older first party games on new platforms rather than trying to tempt PC players over to the console side.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just makes me more likely to wait on stuff I don't absolutely need to play immediately. I won't wait for Spidey 2, but I definitely will for Ghosts of Tsushima.

Nov 17, 2019
So how much are PC players who occasionally buy exclusives worth anyway? I thought console makers made the most money on multiplats, microtransactions, subscriptions, and overpriced gaming peripherals.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's primarily the point of why Sony is doing this. They want multiple ways of accessing the PlayStation ecosystem beyond one platform.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018

but maybe a few will.
Fingers crossed for medievil on PC. I can't afford a PS4 right now.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a costumer ic an say i won't buy a PS5 unless that PS5 can do gaming like my PC does (this means running steam, mods, etc.). If sony ports their games to PC then I might buy them if i am interested in them. If sony doesn't port their games to the PC i'll just skip them.
Its sony choice if they want my money.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
No? Maybe?
I'm eager to play Sunset Overdrive, Ori and some other Xbox game but I still do not have an Xbox or Gaming PC.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
Not as a general sentiment, but certain franchises could. I don't think the scenario is that someone plays Horizon on PC, thinks "Sony game are generally good" and then buys a PS5 based on that. But I could see someone getting really into H:ZD, seeing a trailer for the H:ZD 2, and then buys a PS5 for that.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could get PC players who will get to know Sony franchises and will want to play their sequels on day 1 on PS5 instead of waiting 1 or 2 years.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Why isnt the goal to have less barriers and potentially more gamers? The PS4 did almost everything right yet still hasnt outsold the PS2. So how big of a market does Sony think they can still tap into unless they break down those barriers by either supporting the PC or pushing PS Now more?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
All they're doing is expanding their sales reach. If people know a Sony game will eventually come to PC, then they'll just wait for it instead of buying the new console.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Any which way, it will drum up more money, and large corporations tend to love that stuff!

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm voting for myself so no. I'll just play whatever is available on PC.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until Knack and Knack 2 make it onto PC. PlayStation 5 and Knack 3 sales will go through the roof!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
By what Hulst outlined, it seems to be the motivation behind what they're doing. But... how successful it will be, I don't know. I'm sure it might 'awaken' some people to the idea of wanting to play Horizon 2 ASAP on PS5. I suppose if it does not, or has somewhat the opposite effect, Sony will can the idea of doing it again, unless the overall goals for these ports evolve also.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No. People like their platform of choice, more than enough games on each device to keep people entertained.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. I checked out of the Sony ecosystem in 2005 when I sold my PS2 and haven't looked back. Most of Sony's exclusive games (1st party or otherwise) that I was interested in have eventually made their way to other platforms I play on. Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, potentially HZD, etc, so I can wait it out.

Except Gravity Rush, I would kill for a PC port of Gravity Rush 1/2.

Maybe one day.

Oct 25, 2017
Really at the end of it all. It just opens up a new revenue stream. It also creates interest. It gets more people talking. So while It may not directly translate to PC user buying consoles. It does create discussion.

Lets say someone streams and they don't buy consoles. They may check out HZD and play it for their audience. That audience then could be exposed to the game.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Voted "Yes" as in "probably a few more there and there".

What they will sell more for sure is games.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like I only just now got Nier Automatic. For $20 to boot. And I ain't ever heard of this game. I can wait three years to play a game, laddy boy.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
You aint ever bringing me to Xbox/PS side no matter how many 1st party exclusive PC ports you throw in my face.

If you release something on the PC that I can play then cool. If you never release anything from here on out and keep it exclusive then that's cool too. All these are nice bonuses anyway to the huge amount of games I can already play on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, there are some people that will never buy a console, and this is a way for Sony to get money from those people that would never have gotten otherwise. This won't affect their hardware sales too much because there are other people that will never play on a high end PC, either, and if this generation is anything to go by, they have lots of brand loyalty in the console space.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
no. why would it work that way?

the entire basis of the theory of Gaming Exclusives is troubled. No exclusive has ever made me move in a direction I wasn't willing to go in, in the first place. Getting a system for one single game is a loss.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I think a few will make that transition. Likewise, I expect it'll sell beefy PC hardware to a few PS fans who will want to double dip and enjoy their favorite game in the highest fidelity.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think everyone buying Horizon Zero Dawn for PC and finding out that they love the game, would look at Horizon Zero Dawn 2 releasing on PS5 and say "Eh guess I'll wait for it to maybe come to PC hopefully it doesn't take 3 years this time"

I think this strategy could potentially sell some PS5s while also giving Sony more game sales.