• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I can not remember how it worked from 360/PS3 to XBO/PS4 and when the first titles hit that were for the new gen.

Will we see it again this gen? Will we see new gen titles in the offering?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm going to say no, just because of how much BC is playing a part in this gen.
We likely won't see XSX/PS5 only GWG/PS+ until later next year.

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about it recently. Assuming we get 2 PS5 games next month, I'm betting on The Pathless for PS5 and... what if Destruction AllStars was actually in ? That would change all the perception about the surprising price (and the mtx).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
When ps4 launched there was a mix of ps3, ps4 and vita games.

They'll have to have ps4 games definitely. Not sure if PS5 will have anything outside of the PS collection.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Sony have already announced the Playstation Plus Collection for the PS5 launch.

EDIT: Never mind, missread the OP!

Jun 17, 2018
Since the prices of those games are hitting £69.99 I imagine that they will only release indie titles or games that don't sell very well.

That or they might drop games with gold and ps plus altogether in future. Hopefully not though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Still pretty wild that one of the best PS4 games (Resogun) was a PS+ game at launch.

I suspect we'll get something but honestly with BC and the return of the game collection on PS+ being a thing it's less essential. Also, the PS5 coming with Astrobot built in really diminishes the need for it too.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It'd be great to get some new stuff but I think that the PS+ Collection will be it.

On the plus side everyone gets Astrobot pre-installed so at a push you could count that!

Nov 21, 2017
I'm going to guess no since Sony is advertising that PS+ Instant collection PS5 perk and MS tends to put way more focus on Gamepass compared to how they been treating Games with Gold recent title selections.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
No chance for MS and I don't see it happening with Sony this time around now that there's BC. We might see a big last gen game from each though?

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Could imagine that something like The Pathless (or Bugsnax?) is free when the PS5 drops. On the other hand we already have Astro's Playroom, which is pretty neat already.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm not expecting it with PS+ in the first month but if we begin 2021 with no new monthly PS5 games, I hope there will be a shitstorm.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Playstation's Plus offering for PS5 at launch will be the PS4 B/C instant collection they trailed a few weeks ago.

Can't see MS putting Series X/S games in their offering either.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. There was a reason they gave away Resogun and other PS4 games at launch: PS3 games couldn't be played on the PS4. You don't want to subscribe to a service that gives you nothing. PS4 games on the other hand are playable on the PS5 so no reason to pay high prices to developers to give away their PS5 games.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah, I reckon lots of PS4 games during the first year, aside from some Indies native to PS5. Likely the same story on Xbox (ex Gamepass of course).

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Xbox sides of thing : it's all about Game Pass and I still expect Xbox Live Gold games to vanish with the online paywall.
Yeah they have XSX titles as day 1 in Game Pass, Games with Gold almost needs to be put down with what its had, the last good month was the Jurassic Park game. I can't see there being anything there, if so I wonder if they have to change the wording in what you are paying for.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
According to anxbox fan site, GwG didn't get Xbox one games until 6 months or so after launch. These are the first ones listed and their dates:-

1. Halo: Spartan Assault - June 3, 2014
2. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood - June 3, 2014
3. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - July 2, 2014
4. Crimson Dragon - August 1, 2014
5. Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - August 1, 2014[/TD]
6. Super Time Force - September 1, 2014

From here:-

xbox.fandom.com

List of Games with Gold

First announced during E3 2013, the Games with Gold program offered free Xbox 360 games to users who have an Xbox Live Gold subscription. The program was extended to the Xbox One a year later. Starting October 2022, the program no longer offered games for the Xbox 360. On July 17, 2023, Xbox...

From quick googling this seems to match what other sites have had on record at the time. I enjoyed Max, Guacamelee and Super Time Force. There were some references in articles to Max coming out twice so not sure if that's why it overlaps on the fan list with Halo SA.

Last edited:

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
I could see Microsoft including an Xbox One game or two that supports Smart Delivery as a way to bypass giving away XSX games, but I don't think we'll see actual next-gen games in that kind of promotion for a while.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly i think giving plus games resogun and rocket League early on in ps4 lifecycle helped propel those games so i would be surprised if Sony didn't do the same with other indie games on ps5

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Sony did it last gen with Resogun and Contrast, but I guess maybe they see the PS+ Collection as a replacement this time around?

Tbh I'm happy with that, I'd rather have 15 or however many older PS4 games than 1 or 2 smaller, newer games.

Maybe we'll start getting regular monthly games sometime next year?

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
ps4 had monthly games from the day one. Considering the psplus now has much less games than at the time, if they din't deliver at least a ps5 game monthly it will be yet another scummy practice

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
ps4 had monthly games from the day one. Considering the psplus now has much less games than at the time, if they din't deliver at least a ps5 game monthly it will be yet another scummy practice

Even without PS5 monthly games from the start, PS5 owners do get something extra from PS+: The PS+ Collection with 18 games. Sure, it's older PS4 games running in BC mode, but they are mostly well-regarded AAA games, and there's a lot of them. I think it's a fair way to tide early PS5 owners over until there's more of a suitable PS5 library to draw from. I'd expect something extra each month for PS5 owners as well, but it might not be PS5-specific games for a while. It might be additions to the PS+ Collection, or just extra PS4 games selected (or patched) to run well in boost mode on the PS5.

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about it recently. Assuming we get 2 PS5 games next month, I'm betting on The Pathless for PS5 and... what if Destruction AllStars was actually in ? That would change all the perception about the surprising price (and the mtx).

That would be pretty amazing and honestly probably good for the game, but I can't see them giving out a full priced PS5 game on launch. Too crazy.

I expect two smaller games. Maybe something that hasn't been annonced it'll have a PS5 port yet.

Oct 25, 2017
The Pathless would be interesting. They may skip launch month. I hate to say it, but I fully expect Destruction All-Stars will be either on PS+ or dead within like 6 months

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You'll get Killzone Shadowfall at last.
I'd be down with that. Does Sony still have the policy that only games with a certain MC can come to PS+?
Because I really hope not, having Killzone and The Order on PS+ would be very nice.

EDIT: On Topic: No I don't think they will. With BC they have a huge catalogue of games that can be played on both systems to chose from. It will be a long time before we get next-gen only games or cross-gen games that release after the console launch

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting at least one PS5 game (the first PS4 game I played was Contrast, free with PS+), but because of the PS+ Collection I'm not expecting PS5 games right away.

Jun 13, 2020
Destruction All Stars seems to be the perfect Launch PS Plus game, but they instead decided to charge a fortune for that game.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to tell if ps plus collection is it for song, but I feel like we will not get ps5 games for the first few months and just enhanced newly launched ps4 indies.