• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Nintendo ever release another dedicated home console?

• Yes

Votes: 164 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 293 37.2%
  • Who knows I don’t own a crystal ball..

Votes: 330 41.9%

• Total voters

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
With the Switch being such a massive success is it safe to say Nintendo is 100% done with 'TV only' home console hardware?

I wonder how many people even want Nintendo to attempt another dedicated console? Personally I'd like to see it happen, if only because it would mean more power for them to work with versus a hybrid system. That said I completely understand why it's highly unlikely at this point and the appeal of the portability is undeniable.

Edit: I should clarify, not counting stuff like a potential n64 mini which is very likely coming soon.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
no, hybrids are the future of hardware based gaming.
sony and microsoft are just behind.

Jun 17, 2019
At some point yeah I think so. The tablet console will either become their handheld, or will just cease to exist when technology really takes off. I don't think they'll ever be in a position where they can just completely disconnect with what the rest of the industry is doing and lose all third party support likely as a result, so they'll have to play catch up in tech performance to some degree. Especially if consoles are eventually going to end up going VR or something.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, but I hope not. I really enjoy the hybrid factor of the Switch. Just continue with it and call it Switch 2/3/4 etc, just like the Playstation.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the Switch is on the right direction, but Nintendo tends to come out of left field a lot when it comes to tech so who knows what they'll do next.

I think having a dedicated home switch on top of the dedicated portable is an interesting split to have moving forward, but from what I hear it requires the devs to build for the "beefier" kits and such to improve it, so I don't know if it will work out in the long run.

I still think having a beefy dock and increasing the power of the handheld is the way to go personally, as the hybrid nature of the Switch makes it almost impossible for me to go back.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think that it's possible, if the brand remains strong and they keep releasing varying models like handheld only and more powerful revisions of the base hardware(Switch 2/Super Switch) then I don't see why they can't release a nicely priced(probably around the Lites price, maybe even cheaper) dock sized box that has all the Switch components inside that only works on the TV. I think there is absolutely a market for it at least.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Imma go with a hard no. The Switch style console suits them well. Its both portable and a home console to make up for them no longer doing 2 different devices. And because Nintendo can't chase power they can create a more affordable device while still being a pretty nice piece of portable hardware. We have the Switch Lite, but I don't think they'll do it the other way around.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Doubtful. Hybrids are most likely going to be the future for Nintendo going forward.

The Wii U was actually it's first attempt at being a hybrid with it's tablet controller, but you couldn't actually play it far enough as the technology for it was very limited at the time. The Switch had improved on the hybrid model massively.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
At some point yeah I think so. The tablet console will either become their handheld, or will just cease to exist when technology really takes off. I don't think they'll ever be in a position where they can just completely disconnect with what the rest of the industry is doing and lose all third party support likely as a result, so they'll have to play catch up in tech performance to some degree. Especially if consoles are eventually going to end up going VR or something.
Don't technological advances point towards more handhelds/hybrids rather than dedicated home consoles? A lot of what you hear from Microsoft, Sony, and Google is that 5G will unleash the power of mobile technology.

It seems to me that the gap in performance between a box that's tethered to a TV and a smaller box that can be setup anywhere will continue to shrink. Therefore, I don't see why Nintendo would step backwards to a more limited platform.

Jun 17, 2019
I think looking at it this way might add some perspective to everyone saying there's no chance they'll never go back from the hybrid console model:

If you asked people at the peak of the Wii's success "do you think Nintendo will ever make a non motion control system ever again?", most people would've probably said no. But as of now, it's an entirely optional feature at this point that you can turn off in almost every game that even does feature it at all anymore.

So I dunno. Nintendo likes to innovate. Maybe in like 2028 they'll move on to an entirely new innovation after the Switch U flops or something.

Jun 17, 2019
Don't technological advances point towards more handhelds/hybrids rather than dedicated home consoles? A lot of what you hear from Microsoft, Sony, and Google is that 5G will unleash the power of mobile technology.

It seems to me that the gap in performance between a box that's tethered to a TV and a smaller box that can be setup anywhere will continue to shrink. Therefore, I don't see why Nintendo would step backwards to a more limited platform.
The problem there is that for Sony/MS that seems to be based entirely on steaming, and I can't see Nintendo ever going down that route where streaming is one of the primary features of their consoles. They value polish and playability too much for that.

OP
OP
tapedeck

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Switch is already a big success for them.

Why go down a different path?
Yeah Im with you, it's just personally as I said I want it to happen, I prefer an at least somewhat powerful Nintendo 'home' console..but I even voted No in my own poll cause I think it's pretty unlikely. That said it's Nintendo..they do the opposite of what's expected.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have to change their hybrid deal, I just want an optional 'Switch TV' without the screen and an HDMI-out at a cheaper price for their current an future endeavors.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Forever is a long time. It's hard to know what the gaming landscape will look like next gen let alone in 5-10 years. I think the switch 2 will remain a hybrid and if it's as successful as the switch you'd have to think they'd keep going with that model.

The question is how streaming effects the gaming market, that has the potential to change the whole gaming landscape.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Forever is a long time. It's hard to know what the gaming landscape will look like next gen let alone in 5-10 years. I think the switch 2 will remain a hybrid and if it's as successful as the switch you'd have to think they'd keep going with that model.

The question is how streaming effects the gaming market, that has the potential to change the whole gaming landscape.

Streaming will bomb in the long run.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't understand this obsession with raw power, I honestly hope they don't.
I have two consoles and PCs to pick from to fill that role of high-end devices delivering the most current visual tech.
I expect Nintendo to keep delivering different experiences, otherwise it just gets increasingly boring.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In the all-streaming future, it won't even matter which device you play on. Every device that has a screen will be a home console, portable or not.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Switch TV that is just a box with the Switch guts in it to attach to the TV for easier docked Switch play.

Jun 17, 2019
In the all-streaming future, it won't even matter which device you play on. Every device that has a screen will be a home console, portable or not.
There's like zero chance of this happening in the next decade or even two, given how complete shit internet access is in the United States and how unlikely that is to ever change. And I don't think Nintendo will get onboard with an "all streaming" future. They struggle with basic online multiplayer, let online creating the kind of online infrastructure necessary to do complete streaming of all their games.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I hope not. I personally believe there is more upside to the Hybrid concept than the traditional form factor going forward.

OLED, HDR, 5G, are things that Nintendo has the opportunity to bring to portable gaming. Staying hybrid allows them to not have to be neck and neck with the competition as far as fidelity goes. As long as they deliver a good docked experience and a GREAT undocked experience, they'll print money forever with the hybrid concept.

Oct 25, 2017
that average consumer cant even tell the difference anymore. the only people that care about the littlest details are places like this place who are irrelevant to the mass market.
I agree the average consumer isn't watching every single digital foundary video breaking stuff down, but to say the differences are irrelevant to the mass market is completely pulled out of your ass.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I can make up stuff too.
I agree the average consumer isn't watching every single digital foundary video breaking stuff down, but to say the differences are irrelevant to the mass market is completely pulled out of your ass.

the average consumer cant even feel the difference between 30 and 60 fps and you expect them to tell the difference between ray tracing and no ray tracing?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
that average consumer cant even tell the difference anymore. the only people that care about the littlest details are places like this place who are irrelevant to the mass market.

The average consumer can totally tell the difference between something like Horizon compared to Breath of the Wild. They may not entirely care as tech advances but they absolutely can tell the difference now and will be able to in the future.

Jun 17, 2019
the average consumer cant even feel the difference between 30 and 60 fps and you expect them to tell the difference between ray tracing and no ray tracing?
That's kind of the wrong of looking at it. I think they will be able to tell when it doesn't have games like RDR2 or Final Fantasy VII Remake and things like that.

Right now I think the Switch is riding hard on the novelty of like, oh I can play a console Zelda on the go, or The Witcher 3 or Skyrim portably for the first time. Once that wears off, I think Nintendo will have to go back to the well for a new trick.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't going to compete in the graphics department so I say why bother. What they have in the Switch is dope. Continue on that track.