• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TLOU2 update for PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 707 50.9%
  • No. We’ll get a remaster of a 4 month old game

Votes: 681 49.1%

• Total voters

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I have got two questions that are already worthy of new thread or poll.

1. is Tlou 2 gonna be the best looking game even after november launch of both consoles?
2. Would you take Tlou 2 remaster if it meant that ND's next game will launch half a year later?

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
uM6icFz.png

WdIeKEt.jpeg

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Argument against remaster:
  • Although TLOU2 came out right before next-gen just like TLOU did, this is different because there was no BC last time so there was only one way to play TLOU on your PS4 - buy a new game.
Argument for remaster:
  • You would think that if they were going to give you a free upgrade, they'd have announced it by now.
  • There's probably too much money to be made bundling the remaster with TLOU2: Factions multiplayer for $70.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be remastering for sure but a patch of some sort would also be nice

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Please let me pay $10-15 for the upgrade and let me use my old save file. The way they handled Spider-Man sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need a remaster. I just want some of the high profile PS4 games to be "PS5 aware" and have the option of changing the framerate cap to 60/unlocked.

A free, full remaster would be nice but it's not what I'm hoping for.

Strangely, I'd be more likely to pay money for the Spider-Man remaster if the PS4 version runs at 60fps on PS5.
I'd feel good about paying for the remastered graphics and PS5 features. Right now, I feel bad about them maybe holding 60fps behind the Remaster pay wall when some other games like Hitman 2 have an unlock framerate option in the PS4 version.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how they handle the availability of the upgrades, there will be a PS5 "complete edition" with Factions on it.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
We'll get a native PS5 version no doubt, but we'll also probably get an upgraded PS4 version.

The jump between the PS3 and the PS4, and the PS4 and the PS5 is very different because the PS5 actually has the capability to play PS4 games. The PS4 could not play PS3 games.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The past tells us it'll be a remake. TLOU 1 on PS3 was Remade for PS4.

Could you play last of us 1 on ps4 before the remaster ?

No matter how they handle the availability of the upgrades, there will be a PS5 "complete edition" with Factions on it.

It'd be really stupid to do that instead of a dedicated multiplayer (be it f2p for psplus owners or else)..

Fall guys and DSA show the proper way IMO.

Also the last thing you want on the anemic ssd storage is Last of Us 2 sitting there doing nothing just to access multiplayer.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be really stupid to do that instead of a dedicated multiplayer (be it f2p for psplus owners or else)..

Fall guys and DSA show the proper way IMO.
This would be a great idea, but it shouldn't be the only way to access the MP.
Naughty Dog has done standalone modes enough times to figure out how to make it work.

Also the last thing you want on the anemic ssd storage is Last of Us 2 sitting there doing nothing just to access multiplayer.
Partial installs is supposedly going to be a thing on next-gen, and somewhat already exists on current-gen consoles.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably just remaster it. Which sucks.
Microsoft's approach to their previous gen software is really impressive and I'd have loved Sony's games to get the same treatment.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima and GOW are just using boost mode.

Ghost doesn't have a 60fps mode - they're adding it. Now, they may technically be adding it to the PS4 version to be leveraged by game boost, but they're still adding it. Without any changes it'd just run at a capped 30fps. So it may be a 'hybrid' game if its surfacing a mode only accessible by a PS5.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow those poll results. I would like to think they issue an update but after all the Spiderman stuff I would not be shocked to see a remaster.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You can't really compare the situation from TLOU1 to now, they re-mastered it because you couldn't even play the PS3 version on PS4. There's really no point for a TLOU2 remaster (besides money), but I hope they will patch in some upgrades.
I'm a sure it stated that you can't patch a PS4 into a PS5 game.
As far as we know Enhancements that are being made to existing games are purely in the form of patches to the PS4 game, such as unlocking the frame rate so it works better on PS5.

This is why Spider-Man is a new game and it's why games with "Upgrades" have to give you a free copy on PS5.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do the basics for free, a settings bump, the resolution bump, the frame-rate increase, taking advantage of the SSD.

If anything beyond that ends up with us paying again for a 4 month old game, forget it, it's not worth it, the PR fallout would do more harm than any good the paid update would bring.

Same with Ghosts of T and Dreams any anything else vaguely recent.

I think Spiderman remastered could have easily been free to existing owners, and I don't know who's decision it was, but if the developer wanted to do it, Sony should have funded it as a free upgrade to existing owners.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a remaster. Give me that delicious PS5 disc.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people acting like TLOU getting a Remaster on PS4 is indicative of anything for TLOU 2? PS4 wasn't backwards compatible with the PS3 so what was Sony/Naughty Dog supposed to do?

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
One would be a cool move for people who own the game on PS4 and would be a real easy good will move.

The other would let them charge £70 for a game that came out in June and have people rush to defend that decision.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Probably both. Thought if the premise of them doing a full remaster is just based on the PS4 remaster that circumstance was different. PS4 to PS4 not being compatible made it necessary to "remaster" to be able to experience the game at all, whereas TLOU2 is for sure backwards compatible with PS5. I wouldn't stress it.

Last edited:

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
no doubt both. we'll get a patch for 60fps, probably a res bump and that's it.

we'll get a full on remaster with RT, cutscene models in gameplay and other upgraded models/FX next year for $40

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do the basics for free, a settings bump, the resolution bump, the frame-rate increase, taking advantage of the SSD.

If anything beyond that ends up with us paying again for a 4 month old game, forget it, it's not worth it, the PR fallout would do more harm than any good the paid update would bring.

Same with Ghosts of T and Dreams any anything else vaguely recent.

I think Spiderman remastered could have easily been free to existing owners, and I don't know who's decision it was, but if the developer wanted to do it, Sony should have funded it as a free upgrade to existing owners.

I think Dreams may get a proper PS5 version - assuming saves can transfer which would be critical. It may need that to have access to more ram for user creations for example, and I expect MM to add filters for dreams like they do for VR - so PS5 only, PS5 compatible etc. I would expect that would be a free update

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Ghost doesn't have a 60fps mode - they're adding it. Now, they may technically be adding it to the PS4 version to be leveraged by game boost, but they're still adding it. Without any changes it'd just run at a capped 30fps. So it may be a 'hybrid' game if its surfacing a mode only accessible by a PS5.

Doesn't it have an unlocked mode for the pro?

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
Don't really think it needs a remaster, just resolution/framerate bump. Hopefully we'll get a patch eventually (along with the likely release of a "PS5 version")

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'd rather have a remaster in the sense that it'll give us the best graphical presentation possible of one of the best games this generation

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. I think developers like to work on the next game as soon as possible. Since PS5 has BC, they don't need to spend a lot of time to patch the game.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Bad survey options, as is the norm. If there was a '4 month' remaster that'd be something we'd know about already. If there is a remaster, it's a year away.

I doubt there will be. Maybe a patch... maybe nothing. Maybe the framerate is unlocked on PS5 already? Who knows. The fact they haven't said anything yet implies that nothing major is happening in the short term.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The game already looks next gen to me . Just bump the resolution , increase the frame rate and decrease loading time and that's enough.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they better patch it when they release the online mode, but sony will probably release an online dlc add on on the store for ps4 and release a remaster complete last of us 2 edition for ps5 with upgrades.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
So the best they can do is patch in a framerate cap option to utilize Boost Mode.

If there were a native PS5 edition of this game it would have to be a new SKU and they sure as hell would charge for it.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I would like to HOPE they will just update it given it's not even a year old, but at the same time I feel like it'll go the normal boost, and then a remaster a year or so from now.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think it's close enough that we may get a PS5 update along with factions multiplayer, or they could go the remastered route and have multiplayer bundled as well. Can see it going either way tbh. I think one reason we got remastered for PS4 was due to the difficult architecture of the PS3 version which isn't the case this go around so I'd like to believe it'd be a big update at some point hopefully.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a PS5 version with Factions as added incentive I bet. Similar to how Miles standalone is cheaper but there is a deluxe as well.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
$70 re-release with Factions make sense but I thought the consensus on Era was that it was going to be F2P or that it was the best move ND should make.

Personally I think its a brilliant move because I a know a lot of people who hate the story but loves Factions so its going to piss them off if they have buy the full game just to play Factions >:D

On the other hand, will Factions be free on PS4? I was in the next gen only/pc port camp but after Miles and Horizon, I'm convinced Factions will also come to PS4 one way or another.

Anyways I think once Factions gets announced (which will probably be soon), that's when we'll finally get more info on which road ND will take.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
theyll add some content like a chapter of epilogue or filler or something and resell for full price

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Where's the third option for "they'll just leave it be because it already looks incredible and is backward compatible"

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Naughty Dog patched Uncharted 4 for the PS4 Pro in 2016.

That's a better and more recent example than TLOU1 remaster for the PS4 back in 2014.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog patched Uncharted 4 for the PS4 Pro in 2016.

That's a better and more recent example than TLOU1 remaster for the PS4 back in 2014.
Good point. The game (and TLOUR) got a Pro patch days before the release of the Pro. ND was constantly updating the Multplayer (it even got a Res bump from 900p to 1080p). I think people here are right though, They probably see PS5 Improvements alongside Factions as a good reason to re-release.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Dude, I think your tinfoil hat is a bit too tight a fit.
You don't think they knew it would sell on its own when making the decision to release it separately? You think it's just a coincidence? So nobody said hey maybe we can make more money, you know that thing that businesses use to decide what is worth doing or not doing. You think it was just an accident that rather then delay the whole game they just decided to separate them and then on top of that accident got lucky that people would buy it for their new console.

Would you like to buy this moon rock?