• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TLOU2 update for PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 707 50.9%
  • No. We’ll get a remaster of a 4 month old game

Votes: 681 49.1%

• Total voters

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
You think we'll see support for PS5 in some kind of way besides backwards compatibility (like 4K/30 or 1440/60) or are we getting a remaster of a game that came out just a few short months ago?

Poll attached

Personally I think we'll see a PS5 update of some sort (maybe just to enable saves on PS5 lol). As we know, there is no performance option for PS4 unlike some other PS 1st party titles so PS5 boost can't up the frame rate without some kind of patch.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think they'll do a remaster since the TLOU Remastered on PS4 sold a buttload of copies. It sucks, should be a free upgrade like most games.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
They will do a slightly improved remastered with Ray tracing and some shiz, and an upgrade for Ps4 versions. Kinda like Miles Morales

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if it was going to be a free patch, then we'd already know about it by now. Would be a good thing to advertise in the build up to launch.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm expecting a PS5 release, bundled with the multiplayer mode, to come out some time early next year that you have to purchase again.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the industry has changed enough since last gen that it's reasonable to expect an update at no charge. Whether Sony will actually do that, however, is anyone's guess.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure what the differnce is, but my guess is that whatever they do, they are gonna call it a remaster so they can resell it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've no doubt they'll be remastering, looking at Sony's track record.

So far it seems you can't make PS5-specific updates to PS4 games running off BC, or at least it doesn't seem like any examples exist. Would be nice if they could update the game with an on/off framerate cap flip at least.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
You think we'll see support for PS5 in some kind of way besides backwards compatibility (like 4K/30 or 1440/60) or are we getting a remaster of a game that came out just a few short months ago?

Poll attached

Personally I think we'll see a PS5 update of some sort (maybe just to enable saves on PS5 lol). As we know, there is no performance option for PS4 unlike some other PS 1st party titles so PS5 boost can't up the frame rate without some kind of patch.
if the games has no updates, your cloud save should work since it is the same game, in a boost mode setting, shouldn't it?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My bet is PS5 gets TLOU2 with Factions included. If you have TLOU2 PS4 you can buy Factions and get a free PS5 upgrade for the entire thing.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be both. A PS5 patch for current users + a re-release or "remastered" for new PS owners. Am I being too optimistic? Will Sony make you pay for the game again for a PS5 facelift?

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
As anti consumer as it is. probably a "remaster" - but I hope if their feet are kept to the fire we'll get a decent patch in the short term.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'd actually prefer a remaster tbh lol if it means that they really spruce up the graphics

Have the BC version benefit from faster load times and maybe 60fps too

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
When ever we hear about the MP game they have been working on is when we will hear what their plan if for the last of us on PS5. I'd imagine the MP game being a crossgen title, so hopefully it makes updating the last of us 2 update easier on them. Remastering a game is a big project, especially a game as big as the last of us part 2, I'm not sure ND would want to waste a year or more working on a remaster. After the MP game, I'd imagine they want to work on a new IP and their nextgen game.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Will be a patch. They patched uncharted 4 and last of us for pro. Can't see them remastering a game a few months old

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If they're doing a 60FPS patch for Ghost of Tsushima and making next-gen improvements for God of War, you can bet your butt there will be a next-gen patch for The Last of Us Part II. There should be a "they will patch the existing game" option in the poll

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No way they're charging for it while GoW and GoT get patches. I do however think they do a PS5 re-release with added content for their multiplayer mode that has all the bells and whistles right out of the box on "disc". Something like a GOTY Edition.

EDIT: misinformation

Last edited:

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Last time they updated their engine to PS4 and by doing that they sold the Remaster of their latest game. Makes sense that they'd do the same thing again.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They remastered TLOU1 and that came out 4 months before PS4.

I'm betting we'll see a Miles Morales/Lost Legacy/Left Behind style 1.5 sequel with a remastered TLOU2 included as the deluxe version.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The only Sony "remaster" until now is Spiderman, and they changed a lot, including Peter's face.

They remastered TLOU1 and that came out 4 months before PS4.

I'm betting we'll see a Miles Morales/Lost Legacy/Left Behind style 1.5 sequel with a remastered TLOU2 included as the deluxe version.

iirc Neil said no more story DLC's like Left Behind, because most people don't play it and miss a story part.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The lack of information on PS5 updates for their titles is a huge hangup I have with Sony and the PS5 right now.

What's going to happen with TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima? Are any of their recent titles going to be receiving a patch?

It would be complete and utter bullshit to re-release TLOU2 as a "remaster" at an additional cost, so I sure as hell hope they don't do that. Microsoft is setting the bar on these cross-gen updates, and Sony needs to match it for me to have any interest whatsoever.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
If theyre planning any dlc down the road theyll bundle it up as some kind of "game of year" edition for ps5

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The lack of information on PS5 updates for their titles is a huge hangup I have with Sony and the PS5 right now.

What's going to happen with TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima? Are any of their recent titles going to be receiving a patch?

It would be complete and utter bullshit to re-release TLOU2 as a "remaster" at an additional cost, so I sure as hell hope they don't do that. Microsoft is setting the bar on these cross-gen updates, and Sony needs to match it for me to have any interest whatsoever.
Ghost of Tsushima is getting/already has gotten a Patch which will allow you to up the framerate lock to 60FPS with Game Boost doing the rest. With the rest of the games you can probably come to the conclusion that if they were making any PS5 improvements they would have told us already.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
No way they're charging for it while GoW and GoT get patches. I do however think they do a PS5 re-release with added content for their multiplayer mode that has all the bells and whistles right out of the box on "disc". Something like a GOTY Edition.
GoW hasn't been announced to get any sort of patch.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
shrug_1f937.png

I'm my self still waiting The Lost legacy 60fps PS5 patch.

If any...

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
It's a BC game, why would they need to enable saves?

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Incidentally, 'remastered' has got to be one of the most successful marketing terms in gaming history. Back in my day we just called them ports, and they were always vaguely derided.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
We will get a ps5 version, there's zero chance that they aren't already making it. You don't put out one of the biggest games from one of your biggest studios and not make a version for your biggest console (both literally and figuratively).

The question is if it will be a free upgrade, and to that I say, like Nintendo and even Sony has shown if people will buy it then sell it to them.

They'll throw in the multiplayer they removed so they can say it's a great package but the multiplayer was likely removed originally not only because it needed more time but also because executives knew they could sell it later.