• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will MH Rise outsell MH World?

• Yes

Votes: 209 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 883 80.9%

• Total voters

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Without PC? nah. With PC? maybe. Japan alone will bring it to like 60% of world's numbers on switch lol.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
It would need to sell at least about 17 million to do that. While not impossible, that would be more than 3 times the sales of the current best-selling single-SKU portable-focused Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP, 4.9 million units). Even if you combined expansions, the best-selling portable entry is 4+4G, at 8.3 million units.

You have to ask the question of what the audience is; is it the old portable audience, the new 'high-end' audience, or some combination of the two? If it's the latter, what would they find appealing about a scaled-back entry on the Switch? If it's the former, the ceiling for that type of game seems pretty well-established. Or, to put it another way, you'd need to have the best-selling portable numbers (incl. Expansion), and then tack on about half of the sales of World to exceed it. Doesn't seem all that likely, but who knows.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Absolutely, Switch+PC+greater Japanese appeal, it'll take a while, especially because the PC version will come later, but that didn't negatively affect World, so I don't expect it to affect Rise

MadsG

Nov 1, 2017
From the capcom leak it seemed MH World sold 8.6mil on PS4 (3mil japan only) and 6mil on PC (300k japan only) as of sept 30. I

I think the switch version will marginally outsell the PS4 version given the momentum switch has in japan (and ROW). I remember sony pushing huge marketing for MH World and i dont think nintendo will market it as hard as sony did.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Where's the "it doesn't matter I'm not profiting from how much this game sells" option?

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd sold ~5mil in Japan alone.
I'd say its possible to beat base world's total copies sold, but only if they manage to top Portable 3rd domestically.

If not, very likely to land comfortably as Capcom's 2nd highest selling game regardless
MHP 3rd is also the highest selling MH in Japan ever.

Is 5 million the upper limit for Monster Hunter in Japan? We will see.

It's pretty much impossible for a Switch and (sometime) PC MH to beat World because World brought a lot of new people to Monster Hunter. A lot of which based on FOMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch software sales are absolutely ridiculous. Monster Hunter as a franchise is bigger than ever. Combining the two seems like a pretty big recipe for success. Now, while I personally wouldn't bet on it, I think there is a distinct possibility of it happening. It seems insane but with the PC version of Rise more or less confirmed, I don't think it's totally out of the picture like most would claim. It'll at least get far closer than you'd think.

Let's take a look at MHW's leaked sales numbers

Code:
PC
PC Asia: 2.531m
PC USA: 1.616m
PC EU: 1.570m
PC Japan: 0.236m
PC Total: 5.953m

PS4
PS4 Japan: 3.184m
PS4 USA: 2.392m
PS4 EU: 1.702m
PS4 Asia: 1.414m
PS4 Total: 8.693m

Xbox
Worldwide 1.789m

It's worth noting Switch install base when Rise releases will be bigger than PS4's was when World released in World's biggest regions, being Japan, America, and Asia. I'm unsure about EU but I'm sure it's close.

I think it's entirely possible Rise NSW's Japanese sales are equal to World PS4's Japanese sales + MHW's global Xbox sales. Considering how well MH4 did, and how literally every 3DS franchise that has made it to Switch has seem a massive increase in sales, I think MHP3's record is finally breaking and it hits 5M.

Rise NSW's Asian sales exceeding World PS4's Asian sales also seems reasonable. Switch seems to be fair bit more successful than PS4 in this market, especially with software sales. Switch is also more successful launch aligned in America than PS4, so Rise NSW doing about as well if not slightly more than MHW PS4 is doable. I have no idea about Switch in Europe so let's just assume by default Rise NSW does worse than MHW PS4 here, but I think America and especially Asia can make up the difference.

All that is to say, I think it's very much possible Rise NSW does about the same as World PS4+XBO, The big question mark at that point is how Rise does on PC compared to World on the same platform. Who knows how strong the retention from World to Rise will be, but it's worth noting Rise will probably have lower system requirements, which may help it sell more. And the PC release of World may have brought in enough new hardcore fans of the franchise that will be ready to buy any new release that comes their way.

Now I want to make it clear, I'm not saying any of this is a certainty lol. Just because the Switch is doing better than PS4 launch aligned doesn't mean that will translate to those platforms' respective Mon Hun games! But moreso than the hardware sales, Switch software is just performing at an unprecedented rate. I would be surprised if an exclusive Mon Hun were to break that trend.

And one huge caveat, if Rise does actually overtake World, it won't happen immediately. It might pass it launch aligned at some point, but LTD will be hard, especially because World continues to sell strongly to this day! We know Rise is getting a major expansion sometime in 2022, so I imagine that game will have strong continued success as well. But Monster Hunter World is Capcom's best selling game ever. Outdoing that would be a gargantuan feat. I simply wanted to make that case that it's possible, which is insane in of itself.

But at the end of the day I think both World and Rise will be comfortably be Capcom's two best selling games ever. Both console and handheld Monster Hunter have a place to exist, and the franchise's fans should be happy no matter what. But it's fun to speculate. :p

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Where's the "it doesn't matter I'm not profiting from how much this game sells" option?

nbfXziCgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL4B6yAYp330OoAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine RIse will probably set new portable highs, but I dunno about outselling World, that was bottled lightning even for the Monster Hunter franchise. Best of luck to doing it though. I won't rule out the possibility.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It would need to sell at least about 17 million to do that. While not impossible, that would be more than 3 times the sales of the current best-selling single-SKU portable-focused Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP, 4.9 million units). Even if you combined expansions, the best-selling portable entry is 4+4G, at 8.3 million units.

You have to ask the question of what the audience is; is it the old portable audience, the new 'high-end' audience, or some combination of the two? If it's the latter, what would they find appealing about a scaled-back entry on the Switch? If it's the former, the ceiling for that type of game seems pretty well-established. Or, to put it another way, you'd need to have the best-selling portable numbers (incl. Expansion), and then tack on about half of the sales of World to exceed it. Doesn't seem all that likely, but who knows.
1. When you compare to 17 million, you should take into account the PC version of MHR as well. And in regards to the PC version, on the one hand, the graphics might be a little less than MHW, but MHR looks very good, and on the other hand more PCs with lower specs will be able to handle MHR.

2. In regards to "If it's the latter, what would they find appealing about a scaled-back entry on the Switch?" - I definitely would not call it scaled back, it has lots of things that would be seen by many as improvements over MHW.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna say no. World undoubtedly got a ton of new people in but I think it just as well reminded people that its not their thing. Or like me as someone who liked World and played the heck out of it to the point they kinda burned themselves out on the series for a bit longer. The demo was fine but it made me realize I wasn't ready to jump back into MH.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna say absolutely not. It'll do amazing in Japan, but the west has had their fill already.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
No but it will do pretty well overall between both Switch and PC. It'll easily be the second best selling game in the franchise.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
It will definetely be the most successful Nintendo MonHun riding on World's success.

Base World was an outlier. The "real" number is the people that got Iceborne. A big part of the wider MonHun community will, of course, play Rise. So Iceborne numbers are a guarantee. It will definetely surpass World in Japan.

My guess is about halfway between Iceborne and World by the end of the year. Which will still be incredible for the very limited scope of a mobile spin-off.

Feb 15, 2019
Probably not. MHW is reaching top tier Nintendo franchises numbers that pretty much only Nintendo gets on their platform. So I doubt it'll sell more. It's possible though with the pc version and actually quite likely imo if the pc version of Rise would outsell the pc version of World. But World being both the first MonHun on pc and the first MonHun that reached that big mainstream status further putting eyes on MonHun which obviously includes the pc version too makes me think it won't beat World pc numbers.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
No, it won't. We're talking about 1 system userbase vs 2, and MHW had a bigger marketing campaign, which helped the game a lot I believe. Then there is the pc port, which is favourable towards MHW. It got announced early, so many pc players were anticipating that version.

Rise will most likely be the second best selling MH game though. Perhaps the best selling MH in Japan, but P3rd is hard to overtake. Heck, I think it's possible that Rise will be the best selling game per platform.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Okay i'll say Base Switch MHR > Base PS4 MHW. Anything else is up in the air for me. Overall? Not sure as MHW had that graphics crowd going for it that Switch doesnt have. But hey anything is possible right?

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
10 million easy. I don't know World's sales. Google is telling me 16.4m. Mmmmaybe. I don't think it'll quite get there. I'm guessing like 12 to 13m.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nope.

People in the west will either beg for other console port, wait for the Switch Pro, or try it on Pc "but the graphics sucks."

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
In Japan? By a literal landslide most likely.

Worldwide? Depends on Japan + how good of a game it is I suppose (much like World word of mouth will play a role here).

Either way, were looking at a 10M title, at a minimum for sure. How far it can go beyond that (or beyond World itself) is anyone's guess right now.

Nov 18, 2017
I bought world on PS4, XB1 & PC (due to my 3DS group being completely spread out), i will only buy Rise on Switch & then PC so going off of that scientific formula i will estimate that Rise will only sell 66% of Worlds numbers

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
We basically did this already:

www.resetera.com

Which Sells More? Monster Hunter World or Monster Hunter Rise

First off, this is overall all sales of the original games. So if Rise gets a Rise “G” Version, it isn’t counted with total sales. Same goes for Iceborne. Second, this is for all platforms combine Worldwide Lifetime. So MHW has PS4/X1/PC and MHR will have NSW/PC. 📝 Notes 🗒 -MHW is by...

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No chance.

World had brilliant online features and was more accessible (Xbox and PS4s), I think Rise is Switch and PC only? I just don't see this outselling World at all.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Are people thinking MHW wobt sell a single copy ever from now on or something

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think MHW was multiple steps forward in all regards, while Rise doesn't seem too drastic with its changes. Given the old Switch hardware it doesn't look and run too hot and unfortunately, it seems to have highly compressed audio quality.

What I'm trying to say is, World's development budget was probably on a whole different level, and the game offered a huge WOW factor in every aspect. I don't see that in Rise.

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt it.

Then again, the switch is very popular and it is coming to PC so there is a possibility it might be closer than we think.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No chance.

World had brilliant online features and was more accessible (Xbox and PS4s), I think Rise is Switch and PC only? I just don't see this outselling World at all.

I agree with your overall point but I'm not sure Xbox and PS4 are really more accessible than Switch?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your overall point but I'm not sure Xbox and PS4 are really more accessible than Switch?
Nah, I just meant people were more likely to have Xbox's and PS4's at that time. It was also easy enough to bring your friends into games and voice chat

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
While I voted no, you might want to read the post just above yours.

I looked at it. And yeah it's a take but I still think that on the face of it there's no way it's beating World. We need to remember that on top of World being on three platforms it is also a fantastic game with fantastic DLC and post launch support. Even if Rise is as good (which I doubt it will be) it still has the aforementioned to contend with. Additionally World was seen as a huge AAA release at the time it launched. Huge hype surrounding it. And obviously Rise is exciting etc but I just don't see it having the pull that World had, they aren't even promoting it as much. I do think the sales will be bolstered by lack of huge Switch games in general but no it's not beating World.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It'll almost definitely hit 10 million lifetime but doing better than World will probably depend on what the PC sales are like. It has a chance of hitting a larger audience since it should have lower requirements than World.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely but Switch software baffles me and there is a pretty good likelihood that the folks who played world will be buying this as well. So there is a chance.