• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will MH Rise outsell MH World?

• Yes

Votes: 209 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 883 80.9%

• Total voters

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think this is quietly becoming a distinct possibility, especially knowing that the game is coming to PC later down the line (thanks to the leaks). The Switch has sold more than the PS4 had at the time Monster Hunter: World launched; it seems likely that Rise will take the crown for best-selling in the series' history in Japan.

We've seen software sales for Switch games absolutely blow up, and attach rate is incredibly high. I wasn't sure if Rise could somehow beat Monster Hunter: World's sales total, but at this point, I can't help but consider it could happen. What do you think, Era?

It's worth noting - even before Monster Hunter: World blew up in the west, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate still managed to sell over a million copies in the west. So there *is* a dedicated audience for the series on Nintendo systems in the west.

3k3jrxgzq1001.jpg

monsterhunterrise-1.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm going to say No.

I don't have any data or anything, i'm just going with my gut.
With that said, I also didn't think World would sell as much as it did, so what do I know.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could be completely off base but I think the poor social features of the Switch will hold back the sales of Rise. It'll still sell fantastically but will come well short of World, I think.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
No.

Monster Hunter Rise won't have the expansive reach in the western market that World was able to gather.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but it'll probably be closer than people think after the PC release.

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of hard to when it's an exclusive as opposed to a multiplatform release. It'll still sell several million copies tho, more so than even the 3DS games, if you ask me

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On PC it still has to compete with World itself (whereas really, World had no viable competitors on any of the platforms it launched on). And Switch's big sellers tend to be a lot more casual friendly than MH is, and certainly also easier / more practical to play in multiplayer.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It'll be quite close.

My prediction is that if it really does come to PC later, it won't be as big as World on PC because people would think that they already have their fill with World. It's also coming a bit too close to World, especially Iceborne. Switch sales will be close to PS4 + XBox combined, but it most probably won't pass it.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not. The G version being a new retail game rather than just DLC 1.5 years from now in addition to the PC version will push it past World though.

Wermutton

Feb 4, 2020
The Switch version alone might actually stand up to base MH World, thanks to a huge boost from the Japanese audience

I think the lowest it will go is 12 million in its Switch lifespan.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If it's Monster Hunter Rise on Switch vs. MH World on PS4+XB1, then I think there's now a strong possibility Rise sells more.

If we count World on PC, then highly unlikely.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt it.

The social aspects being better and it being a graphical jump made World something different, reaching different playerbases than usual.
The core MH playerbase will go wherever the newest title is (like me) but I doubt that this is the case for the new playerbase.

Rise will be BIG in Japan tho, as that market usually works better with portable systems and switch in general.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No just based on the fact that MHW launched earlier and is still selling and will continue to do so until MHW2.

It's also rather cheap and will be on sale all the time.

Having that said MH Rise will still be a massive success, likely selling +10m

This is not the OP i was expecting...
Same lol.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets see... No PC Sales, only on one console platform

however that console platform is doing hot right now and there will be a lot more sales in japan....

I think it could be possible.

Its a bit of a shame that the game launches during a pandemic because local play is definately where this game shines more.
It will sell bonkers, but not as much as World+Iceborn
Why would you add in expansion numbers?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, but it will be extremely successful. With the PC release I can see it doing at least 8-10 million.

The wild card really is the Switch performance outside of Japan. How much of the Switch's popularity and the momentum World garnered for the franchise will carry over to this version.

It'll certainly do much better than the 3DS games, but how much?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I think two factors will play a role here. How hungry are people for a MH on Switch, and what really are the legs for this series on PC.

Potentially, it can outsell World. But it will have ro be a combination of a white hot interest on Switch, and a still-hungry-for-more audience on PC. I don't feel comfortable saying yes or no because a great deal of World's sales were outside of Japan, and one of their major markets is in an economic depression, that being the United States.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
impossible
it could eveb beat it in Japan, but worldwide, including all platforms...it's impossible.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
It'll do well. Why do we even need a will this beat that etc and just cant be happy playing games. I doubt anyone here will be making money through their success.

No just based on the fact that MHW launched earlier and is still selling and will continue to do so until MHW2.

It's also rather cheap and will be on sale all the time.

Having that said MH Rise will still be a massive success, likely selling +10m

Same lol.
World+iceborne is 60$ on pc(base game 30$). Thats not cheap to me.
It goes on sale but its mainly on those steam season sales. Not a frequent discount title.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, social distancing would push virtually all video game related business (duh).
On the other hand, the main aspect of being on handheld (you can meet people head-to-head, not via online, to play games) is being held back by social distancing as well.

(It will sell well nonetheless).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Chad cool af flying demon Wyvern
vs
Virgin fake bear/armadillo/stegosaurus thing*

*Also cannot fly....lame.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I think: in Japan yes.
Single console sku also yes (maybe even ps + Xbox).
But all MHW sales together? No, I don't think so.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say no because MHW sales was truly ridiculous for Capcom, but man would it be funny to come back to this thread in the future if Rise did sell more than World.

I'm really optimistic on Rise sales (still believe it can sell over 10 million), but over World is a huge task.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm willing to take an avatar bet that Monster Hunter Rise will sell more than 10 million copies *before* whatever expansion it ends up receiving, tbh. I can understand being skeptical about it matching MHWorld's sales, but I really do feel like 10 million is a no-brainer.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say no but with the PC release of Rise it might come close.

I think rise on PC will sell more than world on PC because of worlds popularity and the likely lower system requirements.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
World+iceborne is 60$ on pc(base game 30$). Thats not cheap to me.
It goes on sale but its mainly on those steam season sales. Not a frequent discount title.
You can get the base gamesl for sub 20 pretty much all the time on all Plattforms during sales.Iceborne isn't a neccesary purchase for new players.

So yeah it's cheap compared to MH Rise which will probably be full price for quite a while.

I'm willing to take an avatar bet that Monster Hunter Rise will sell more than 10 million copies *before* whatever expansion it ends up receiving, tbh. I can understand being skeptical about it matching MHWorld's sales, but I really do feel like 10 million is a no-brainer.

I don't think many are arguing that point or target. But the gal between 10m outselling MHW Lifetime is massive.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
In Japan only, yes. It will not pass World in any other context. I think the franchise will seriously struggle to ever hit World's sales again, but it is going to remain a healthy franchise either way, so I am not worried.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
In Japan, I bet so.

In the RotW? Maybe. It would help if Nintendo slapped its name over Capcom's and called it Mario Kart Monster Hunter Edition or Monster Crossing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Including PC: yes.

I think Switch version will do over 10M in about 3 years, and PC version will do over 6M in 3 years, putting it ahead of MHW in the same time frame.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Probably not, but it should do better than some people think and will probably end up being the second best performing capcom title after world.
Also obviously hands down the best third party performance on switch.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No, MHW was a smash hit and a multiplat across three successful platforms, ending up as Capcom's bestselling game, ever. I do think MHR has a really good chance to be their second bestselling game ever though. Maybe around 9-11m when Switch, PC and the g-rank expansion are all done. Nicely justifying the decision to have a sub-series chasing specs and visuals to sell the series to the home console audience, and also continuing the success of the portable sub-series too. More MonHun for everyone! :D

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
No - but it'll still be an enormously successful game and the second-best selling MH game yet.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
World + Iceborne sales being combined makes this a lopsided comparison. If we're comparing World only, I think it could go either way, though I'm leaning toward it falling a bit short. It's still going to explode and vindicate the hell out of the franchise being on Switch.

Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd sold ~5mil in Japan alone.
I'd say its possible to beat base world's total copies sold, but only if they manage to top Portable 3rd domestically.

If not, very likely to land comfortably as Capcom's 2nd highest selling game regardless