• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Metroid Dread be the best selling Metroid game?

• Yes

Votes: 1,394 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 494 26.2%

• Total voters

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
ab4014d081b965acbe88057b38bc9aa8.png

The Metroid series has never been a huge seller: the highest selling game, Metroid Prime, only sold 2.84 million units. With today's announcement of Metroid Dread, it begs the question: could this be the best selling Metroid game so far? Plenty of Nintendo series have sold better on the Switch than ever before, like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Super Mario Party. With this in mind, could the Switch's massive install base and first party game attach rate lead to Dread being an unprecedented success for the series?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. It is a relatively low bar for a great franchise mired by poor sales.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how some other series have been doing on the Switch? Without a doubt it can if handled properly.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Are those the only known numbers for Samus Returns 3DS? I assume it sold much better, but I'd like to know where it stands in the sales rankings.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, not even 3 mil? I think Dread could definitely top that, though I wouldn't consider it an absolute guarantee. Prime 4, though? For sure.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
There had to be some pinball fanatic in Nintendo's executive ranks to have somehow forced out Metroid Pinball, Pokemon Pinball R/S, and Mario Pinball Land all within 2 years of one another.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
A lot of Metroid games have released in rough circumstances in one way or another. Most recently, Samus Returns was a 3DS game when the Switch was already out. Dread will have no such problems, so it has the potential to outperform the rest.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. God, I hope so.

The real news is how well NES Metroid sold.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
That information is not entirely correct btw OP, use this thread instead

www.resetera.com

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

This post won't be updated here anymore. Click here to visit the page where the data will be updated from now on. It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small...

30v25Iu.jpg

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Not exactly a high bar to clear, I'd be surprised if it didn't make it.

Not a very hard feat : /

Also, Super Metroid is so criminally undersold.

If it makes you feel better, it probably sold decent on the Wii/Wii U VC as far as Virtual Console games go, but we'll never know. It's how I played it at least.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid has never been a huge seller..... I doubt this will sell gangbusters. I have high hopes though for a good game!

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't know, but I hope so. The Metroid franchise needs all the commercial success that it can get just to remind Nintendo that Metroid should be one of their pillar franchises.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at these numbers it's crazy that Nintendo still bothers with the IP.

Well anyway....the fans better show up for Dread and Prime 4 or stop the bitching about not getting news games.

PS. To answer the question. I expect +2m....but it depends on how good it is in the end.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly but I'd be more certain for Prime 4.

But hey maybe I'll be surprised that people have developed taste and suddenly everybody is a Metroid connoisseur!

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting Federation Force was a thing that actually happened.

It will at least do 2 mil. 3 mil maybe.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's on Switch. I'd be stunned if it wasn't the best selling Metroid game almost immediately.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with threads that have different questions in the title vs. the actual poll - "Can" and "Will" are 2 very different questions.

Yes to both imo

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's a depressingly low bar and I have to imagine the switch's heat has elevated Nintendos expectations for it

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
That information is not entirely correct btw OP, use this thread instead

www.resetera.com

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

This post won't be updated here anymore. Click here to visit the page where the data will be updated from now on. It was made abundantly clear that this place [the staff or part of it] don't have regard for the efforts it takes to compile data nor understand that it's the aggregation of a small...

30v25Iu.jpg

Other M only sold 100k?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, but I hope so. The Metroid franchise needs all the commercial success that it can get just to remind Nintendo that Metroid should be one of their pillar franchises.
It shouldn't and never will be a pillar Nintendo IP.

ACNH outsold the whole series times 2 in a single year...lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. A side-scrolling Metroid probably won't reach the same level of WOW factor as Prime 4 would.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Not a very hard feat : /

Also, Super Metroid is so criminally undersold.

Took the words out of my mouth. Less than 1.5 mil is mind boggling.

Dread doesn't have a high bar to clear. Considering Luigi's Mansion hit 9 million and there are 80 million plus Switches, I think Dread can clear 4.