• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Changing his holocaust backstory, even for innocent reasons, would easily be construed as anti-semitic or whitewashing history by enough people that it would blow up and they don't want that kind of heat.

Just write in some anti-aging mutant bullshit, no one will care.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Being a holocaust survivor is too important to his backstory. You either have him aging slower as a side effect of his mutation or the nazis experimented on him when they realised he was a mutant- injecting him with proto-super soldier serum etc.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
They have time-travel, multiple dimensions, and a dude that can manipulate time so it is more of a matter of if they want to bring up such content or not.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could do something like "was a Holocaust survivor, fell into a time hole, emerged about ten years before the present and saw that little had changed."

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they have to do something right? it's unfathomable to have a character who was alive during WWII in the current day, that's why this question keeps getting brought up, right? the MCU audience has shown an unwillingness to engage with something like this, clearly. couldn't be anything else

anyway speaking of the MCU what's the next Disney+ show coming out?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll have to be done with new versions of the characters, which at this point makes sense considering how long it's going to take for mutants to start showing up. WandaVision made it clear they don't have any intention of carrying over Foxverse actors as their original characters outside of Deadpool.

Yea outside of maybe a random cameo we are not seeing the Foxverse X-men going forward, besides Deadpool like you mentioned. And that is fine. I actually liked the Fox series overall for the most part, despite its flaws, but it is time to move on and reboot for a new generation.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
uncanny-516.jpg

gGqJ0zL.gif

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the more interesting question is, if they DO keep Magneto old, what do they do with Professor X? Historically you have them as peers - roughly the same age, roughly the same amount of experience - but if you're doing some "he ages slow" stuff for Magneto, you'd have to do the same for Xavier. You could make him significantly younger, but that throws things off. Maybe that could be a fresh take, though? More of a master/student dynamic?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they have to do something right? it's unfathomable to have a character who was alive during WWII in the current day, that's why this question keeps getting brought up, right? the MCU audience has shown an unwillingness to engage with something like this, clearly. couldn't be anything else

anyway speaking of the MCU what's the next Disney+ show coming out?

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier starts 3/19. Six episode run.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My best guess is they'll keep the Holocaust history, maybe even have Captain America come back for a cameo in his origin, and then have Magneto somehow have been put on ice for decades.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
The world has had more than its fair share of genocides and racially motivated attacks, I don't think the Holocaust is integral to the character as much as a specifically human atrocity is to radicalize your would be mutant liberator.

hell he could be American at this point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yea outside of maybe a random cameo we are not seeing the Foxverse X-men going forward, besides Deadpool like you mentioned. And that is fine. I actually liked the Fox series overall for the most part, despite its flaws, but it is time to move on and reboot for a new generation.

Yeah. I don't mind. I like Jackman's Wolverine but I don't need him to come back if he doesn't want to, and I don't care enough about the First Class timeline to really want to fight for those actors getting to continue their parts after four bad movies.

One exception: Fassbender was a good Erik but I don't think we need to reuse him. He got enough focus.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
They should absolutely leave that Holocaust backstory. If they try to change that they might as well retire the character.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they have to do something right? it's unfathomable to have a character who was alive during WWII in the current day, that's why this question keeps getting brought up, right?

People in the US elected a man in almost his eighties to be the president...
I bet Magneto can be around that age (Making him a kid in the latter part of the war) without time travel / de-ageing shenanigans.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The opening of the original X-Men film is such a "this was not focus grouped" scene and ends up being one of the best parts of those movies. I doubt the MCU version will have anything like it, but that aspect of Magneto's character can't just be dropped.

And making him the victim of a more recent (or more American...) genocide would be too "political", so it'll be the Holocaust with a hand-waving explanation as to why he doesn't look 90 years old.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean multiverse is going to be involved in this universe to some degree, so couldnt they just pull a younger Magneto from a timeline?

This is exactly what will happen anyway.

They won't just pop-up the classic X-Men Mutants out of nowhere in the same world where the last 15 years of MCU happened.

They will come, of course, from a different universe.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They won't just pop-up the classic X-Men Mutants out of nowhere in the same world where the last 15 years of MCU happened.

This is my hope. I want Holocaust Magneto and centuries-old Wolverine, but I've already suspended my disbelief enough with "this character was actually here all along, just hiding." With Eternals coming up I don't think I'll have any suspension left.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Slow aging Magneto is fine with me. Have him just broken by humanity's cruelty over the last 80 years. Maybe some kind of Hydra experiment slows his aging on top of his magnetic powers.

Xavier is the one you can move around easier age wise, it would just feed into Magneto thinking he's naive.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully not, as having all of these characters in a universe where none of them have any history has its own set of problems for doing stories with them.

Just having Magneto age slower is so much less complicated than having time travel or universe-hopping.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They don't really need too. Superheroes have only been publicly around since 2010 or so in the MCU, and it'd be easy to slot Mutants into the backstory as "we've always been around but there's not a whole lot of us and we kept it on the down low." Then you've got the X-Men as Xavier's attempt and creating a Mutant Superhero team to sell to the world that he's been training in secret (so this way the cast can be in their 20s) before Magneto makes his big declaration that Mutants are here to replace humans, forcing the X-Men into the role of ambassadors for a people the world only now knows exists.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Easy fix.

Slower aging.

OR

Some mutants cross over from an alternate timeline / dimension. Same scenario activates dormant X-gene in population of MCU Earth.

OR

Any number of fantastical comic book solutions.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Hopefully not, as having all of these characters in a universe where none of them have any history has its own set of problems for doing stories with them.

What do you mean? They have their own history in their own world that we just didn't saw.

Which makes completely sense with all of them being new actors.
And if they want to show us some of their stories (partly again) they can do that in new single films in that universe and then without making us think "where are the freaking avengers right now?" Because we know it's a different universe, easiest explanation ever. And they're introducing multiverse anyway sooooo, 1+1.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I think the important back of his backstory is how his ethnicity/race was the "justification" used to murder his people to reflect his actions as Magneto with mutants and non-mutants. So with that said I think you could swap the Jewish origin for another that was the target of ethnic cleansing / genocide. Its not like we lack those sadly.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I shifted the iron in my own blood to age slower" is all they need to say. Doesn't make sense but it's comic book logic so no one will care.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The backstory should remain.

First Class Magneto theme was gooooood. Wish they gave Fass more stuff to do.

On topic: yes, secondary mutation to slow aging. It's too integral.

That is, unless they decide to go for a different race Magneto, but to my knowledge there's not a lot of Jewish heroes/anti-heroes/villains in Marvel so I don't see it happening. I think Spider-Man was/is iirc but it's never been integral the same way that it is for Mags.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Canonically Magneto was aged down to an infant and rapidly aged back up to an older but not quite as old form sometime in the 70s (as in when the comic was written).

That's kind of comic booky even for the MCU, but Magneto's history is so integral to his character I can't really think of a way to change it beyond having him in suspended animation for some period of time. Maybe it can be a Hydra thing where they kept him on ice until X number of years ago when he broke out, then had Pietro and Wanda in the meantime.
Would kinda make sense to have him frozen since that'd explain how a character with such a strong desire to change things and such great powers has not had an impact on the MCU yet.

Or if you want him really angry, have him stuck in some sort of suspended animation but fully conscious in a Hydra facility.

RudiJ

Oct 28, 2017
Make Magneto in the MCU the son of a holocaust survivor with the same powers.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Like how is this even a problem? Captain America and Winter Soldier are both even older.
But yet some of y'all wanna strip one the only Jewish characters identity away.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
They could do this. I do think they shouldn't shy away from the genocidal past because it is core to help understanding his motivations. If they wanted to modernise it, they could do something with the regions of Yugoslavia and have that be the backstory, but I fear Disney aren't brave enough to do that.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I mean multiverse is going to be involved in this universe to some degree, so couldnt they just pull a younger Magneto from a timeline?

Yes, the multiverse where we are going to get the mutants are simply not at the same point in time that we are today. All of the mutants that come over from the other timeline are going to have to adjust to being in a world that is more advanced than the 80s (or 90s). It would add a fun dimension to all of these characters instead of "now there are more guys with powers but they don't have origin stories for their powers"