• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
There is another Capcom Publisher sale on Steam and it seems the game still incorporates GFWL in order to play it. The petition that was started back in 2015 is still alive and kicking with 13 pages and 647 comments in the discussion section.

I owned and played Lost Planet 2 back on the Xbox 360, it was a fantastic game that got even better through online co-op. When it released, it was all I would stream for months. It was just that fun. I would love to go back and play it again.

tumblr_olhuqnYQuC1r7sijxo1_400.gif

The price is so low that I would love to buy it for myself and even gift some copies to some of my friends, but I can't. I hear there are ways to remove GFWL, but I also heard you need GFWL to play online. Is this true?

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
gfwl was just a weird fluke where a big company tried to shoulder in with a half assed product no one wanted and with no benefit to the consumer that years later we're still suffering from

sure glad that will never happen again

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Really sucks that I have to go through these hoops.

I did some research on how to remove it, but by doing so it prevents you from playing online. It tries to install a very outdated GFWL and you have to download it from somewhere else to get it working. Another issue I read, is that the game refuses to use anything more than 6 cores so it might crash or black screen on startup.

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't removed it from SfxT either, and dark void/dvz still have terrible drm attached to them as well.

Capcom dgaf about the state of their older pc ports

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not anytime soon. The only capcom titles that removed GFWL were those that got ported to PS4/X1. With LP being a BC series on Xbox now, it shows that capcom atm has no intentions of doing much else with the series currently.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
You can still get it working online with workarounds but it's a total pain in the ass and having done it twice already I don't know if I'll ever bother doing it again.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I played GTAIV a few years ago and it had GFWL if i remember correctly. I don't remember anything preventing me to enjoy the game because of it though. What are people's problem with it?

As far as i know, all you need is a Microsoft account and it signs you in automatically upon launch. No steps needed after the initial sign-in.

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
I played GTAIV a few years ago and it had GFWL if i remember correctly. I don't remember anything preventing me to enjoy the game because of it though. What are people's problem with it?

As far as i know, all you need is a Microsoft account and it signs you in automatically upon launch. No steps needed after the initial sign-in.
GTA4 actually got a performance patch just a couple years ago, I would think they would have removed GFWL, but I'm not sure if they did.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the PC version isn't worth getting because of this gfwl thing?

Is the game's single player any good or is it pointless without multiplayer?

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
That's a shame, I enjoyed 1 and 3 and wanted to check out 2 but if it isn't fun without multiplayer... :(
It's just really not built as a solo experience, sorry.

It is one of the best co-op games I've ever played, though. Even just running through it with split-screen two player local co-op was one of my fondest memories from any shooter.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Does the online co-op still work? Two of my friends and I bought it yesterday and tried to connect but it kept failing to do so. Hoping to find a fix before we end up refunding it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just really not built as a solo experience, sorry.

It is one of the best co-op games I've ever played, though. Even just running through it with split-screen two player local co-op was one of my fondest memories from any shooter.

Thanks and yeah, watching some footage and this would have been a blast in coop.

Oh well :(

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017

GFWL sucks in GTAIV and back in the day resulted in hours' worth of headaches and pain trying to fix obscure issues like save file incompatibility or being unable to launch the game or play online or what have you. It is absolute trash, and Win 10's partial support for it makes it even worse. Getting the xliveless dll extension to be rid of it was the best choice available, and that meant no multiplayer and no achievements.

Oct 27, 2017
It's more likely we get a rerelease at this point.

Also, was streaming even a thing like it is now when Lost planet 2 released?

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
It's more likely we get a rerelease at this point.

Also, was streaming even a thing like it is now when Lost planet 2 released?

I don't remember too much but I streamed a lot when Justin TV was still around, before it became Twitch TV. I think Twitch TV was still rather new at the time but I remember streaming Lost Planet 2 for quite awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
Hilariously lost planet 2 is the only game i refuse to uninstall because getting GFWL working correctly is such a weird pain in the ass

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
You can still play online co-op with the workarounds listed in the steam discussions. See also: Section 8 Prejudice.

Still a terrible choice by the devs, that cancerous growth nested deep in games that deserve hassle-free multi.