• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm thrilled Apex Legends is a big hit for Respawn, as I love their games. I'm looking forward to their Star Wars game, but we know nothing about it.

What are your thoughts on Jedi MP? Do you think EA will put out a single player Star Wars game? Or are we in for two top tier MP games from Respawn this year?

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Have it come later, just make one decent single player campaign first EA

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Every thing they've said so far is that Jedi Fallen Order will be a single-player game.

And hopefully, that much remains true. We haven't had a decent single-player experience with a Star Wars game in quite a long time.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
They haven't said anything about MP, but everything around the game so far seems to indicate a singleplayer focus. They put Stig as the lead director, and he's mostly experienced in narrative campaign work (TF2 SP, GoW3). EA's also emphasized it as a story-based game on their own site.

It's entirely possible it will have MP - but I wouldn't call it a certainty.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. EA is probably fine with a "prestige" single-player game (ala God of War or Spiderman) if it sells in the appropriate numbers.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I sincerely doubt that EA put Respawn in charge of a single-player only game.
There is a WAAAY bigger chance that the game will be multi-player focused, and maybe some kind of a short single-player campaign.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Of course it will have multi-player and will likely be the focus since that's where they can put in the big money microtransactions.

EA already scrapped/canceled the single player iterations and their mantra has been 'single player games are dead' for years now.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends if BF3 is coming this year too. Maybe JFO will have MP and DICE will get an extra development year for BF3. Or maybe I'm too naive and EA would never do that.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
The better question is will it have single player.

Of course it's going to have multiplayer, it's a 2019 EA game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly surprised if it did since everything come out of EA's mouth regarding the game is that it is a SP title.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda doubt it actually.
  1. Dunno how it would work
  2. Battlefront, for all its massive failures, is EA's flagship Star Wars MP experience at the moment
  3. More modes means more slow-ass approvals from Lucasfilm on the most inane of details
  4. Apex is Respawn's multiplayer focus for the foreseeable future

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Its EA.

Knowing respawn, it will have a great and interesting 6-12 hour campaign, a co op mode and a big focus on online which ill be up for

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
100%. A great campaign will give the game prestige, but MP is what provides a steady stream of revenue post-launch.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Unless they have one to announce, they've only said it will be a single player game.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Im pretty sure there will be, I'd be extremely suprised if there isn't no MP at all. I don't mind either way though both are fine, only SP or SP + MP.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it has a duel mode like the ROTS PS2 game i can see losing several hours in it.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Do we know what engine this is using?

Obviously Titanfall 1 and 2 were built on Source, but I'd imagine Respawn would migrate to Frostbite for a high profile release like this, where a high-end visual experience is desired, if not expected.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It will probably be For Honor style and have Jedi roaming among the common soldiers etc.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's hard to say. But considering EA cancelled Visceral game for being "linear singleplayer game", it's possible that Fallen Order will have multiplayer component.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't thought of it, but it has to, right?

Given how the cancelled Star Wars project needed to have a space for recurrent purchases, and that (based on the games they have worked on with EA) Respawn is primarily a multiplayer developer, it seems very likely.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows. I can't possibly imagine how a game like this would function in multiplayer except for, say, a co-op mode like Mass Effect?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Remember, EA missed on their projections in their last earnings call. They're going to prioritize profits over everything else to make their shareholders happy. I would be shocked if they would be ok releasing a SP-only game that has no ongoing earning potential via MP/MTX post-launch.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It could sell 7.3 million units and EA would still call it a failure.

They've been very "hands off" with Respawn so far, let's wait for the game reveal before jumping to literally any conclusions.

It's hard to say. But considering EA cancelled Visceral game for being "linear singleplayer game", it's possible that Fallen Order will have multiplayer component.

They canceled it again after attempting to retool it. I don't think those outdated statements mean anything anymore. That project was also in other forms for like 6 years. The problems go way beyond it just being SP or MP centric.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
They canceled it again after attempting to retool it. I don't think those outdated statements mean anything anymore. That project was also in other forms for like 6 years. The problems go way beyond it just being SP or MP centric.

It wasn't a same game, though. EA Vancouver was working on an open-world game that was supposed to only borrow some assets from Visceral project. Ragtag was gone after shutting Visceral.

So the whole case of both projects is very ironic. Visceral wanted to do a linear singleplayer action-adventure game in a same vein as Uncharted series. EA decided to cancel this project and follow with open-world game. Visceral had their fair share of problems, but one of the reasons which was told by EA execs was that they thought this isn't something fans would want to play.

They recently cancelled Orca, an open-world project because it was "too complex" and they thought finishing it would require too much time and resources. EA Vancouver went into drawing board and is working on much smaller project which may or may not be a linear singleplayer game. They went a full circle.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't think it will. Absolutely none of the team from Titanfall has come over to this game, as Stig personally pick out his own team. I think at most it'll have co-op, but I believe it'll be a SP story focused game.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Um how do you expect EA to do loot boxes if there's no multiplayer??

They'd find a way

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a same game, though. EA Vancouver was working on an open-world game that was supposed to only borrow some assets from Visceral project. Ragtag was gone after shutting Visceral.

So the whole case of both projects is very ironic. Visceral wanted to do a linear singleplayer action-adventure game in a same vein as Uncharted series. EA decided to cancel this project and follow with open-world game. Visceral had their fair share of problems, but one of the reasons which was told by EA execs was that they thought this isn't something fans would want to play.

They recently cancelled Orca, an open-world project because it was "too complex" and they thought finishing it would require too much time and resources. EA Vancouver went into drawing board and is working on much smaller project which may or may not be a linear singleplayer game. They went a full circle.

It doesn't matter what one quote taken somewhat out of context by gamers means at this point. They've mismanaged the hell out of that saga in numerous ways and yet Respawn has (so far) been moving forward with projects without meddling.

Down the line, who knows? But I think for now, the projects birthed prior to the expensive acquisition a year ago shouldn't show the typical signs we see from EA.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It doesn't matter what one quote taken somewhat out of context by gamers means at this point. They've mismanaged the hell out of that saga in numerous ways and yet Respawn has (so far) been moving forward with projects without meddling.

Down the line, who knows? But I think for now, the projects birthed prior to the expensive acquisition a year ago shouldn't show the typical signs we see from EA.

It wasn't taken out of context. They literally said it. Ragtag suffered from much bigger problems, but that thing with "linear singleplayer game" was one of the reasons as well. The other one was that Respawn's project was further ahead in development than Ragtag.

Btw. It's also worth noting that Respawn was acquired by EA only recently and before that they got a full creative freedom. How's that changed when they officially joined EA? Don't know. But no one would cancel a game that is going to launch in 2019.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, Battlefront 2 is the multiplier game. They've been working on new modes and releasing new content/heroes monthly and I don't see them stopping any time soon.

BF2 is a much better game now vs when it first released and it's only going to continue to get better.