• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valve...

• will return to making those games again

• but only in VR

• I think CSGO and Dota will be the last major games Valve has put out

Results are only viewable after voting.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty open secret that they're making Half Life VR to go along with the VR hardware they're making. I'm sure there will be a lot of salty reactions to the announcement.

Of course they could always cancel it but I don't think it will happen. Newell has talked about their VR games too much and they need a killer app for their hardware.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Valve just released Artifact. They also acquired Campo Santo and rehired some of their previous writers. This is clearly them feeling the pressure of the strong competition Epic is imposing.

Even though all of those things happened months before Tim Sweeney decided to turn PC Gaming into a pseudo console market, I know they are the cause and Gaben can't fool me.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Do we even know if the developers from Half Life and Portal are still there?
Some are, some are not. Eric Wolpaw in example returned to Valve early this year, while he left in 2017. He's the co-writer for Half-Life 2 and Portal. Jay Pinkerton who left at the same time as Wolpaw, also returned last year. He wrote for Portal 2. Mark Laidlaw, the lead writer for Half-Life however, hasn't returned. He released the "fanfic" for Half-Life 3 after departing.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's so weird to me that only Valve seems to have this perception issue, especially when there are now direct comparisons between them and Epic.

Hasn't the Unreal series of games been dormant almost exactly the same amount of time as Half Life, with the newest one officially having development halted in order to pour resources into Fortnite?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird to me that only Valve seems to have this perception issue, especially when there are now direct comparisons between them and Epic.

Hasn't the Unreal series of games been dormant almost exactly the same amount of time as Half Life, with the newest one officially having development halted in order to pour resources into Fortnite?

It's not weird, it's just posters and press rehashing the same tired shitty memes without informations.
It's funny how Epic is making games by moneyhatting games 2 weeks before release and killing off Paragon/UT for Fortnite when Valve isn't when they buy a new studio and release new games.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's not weird, it's just posters and press rehashing the same tired shitty memes without informations.
It's funny how Epic is making games by moneyhatting games 2 weeks before release and killing off Paragon/UT for Fortnite when Valve isn't when they buy a new studio and release new games.

So you think it's just purposeful trolling? If that is the case, I guess I should stop giving any benefit of doubt.

That does seem more plausible than a group of concerned and dedicated fans of a classic PC FPS series bemoaning Valve's shift to be a platform holder and GAAS provider, while at the same time celebrating Epic following the same route to the detriment of their own classic PC FPS series.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They could hire some other studio to make games for them. I don't see Valve themselves making a big game from scratch ever again considering how the company works.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017

And don't forget, they sold off one of their recent big IPs in Gears of War. Imagine if Valve did that.

So Epic has halted development on all other games except Fortnite, collects money on UE licenses and inexplicably decided on opening a storefront of all things.

May 26, 2018
Valve hasn't been That Company since the mid Oughties. It's possible that even if they feel enough pressure to want to return to that state, their coherent structure is built on the big revenue from Steam. That comes from dominance, presumably, and all the Half-Lifes in the world might fail to crutch Valve if Steam collapsed as a market titan.

So hopefully they can make some cool game before that happens.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Valve has to. Steam only has Valve games.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Unless Gabe and senior leaders want it to happen, they won't be making games like that anymore.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Valve isn't the same company it used to be. They will, and are, making more games. But nothing is going to turn back time. Their goals as a company have changed, and so has their talent and the industry as a whole.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think their main teams focus is on the VR software and hardware. I wouldnt be surprised if the hardware is mostly done (we've seen leaks of pretty feature complete headsets) and the knuckles controllers are also really close.

I also think they have been working on "games" like you mentioned, but Valve is incredibly picky when it comes to its releases and the quality of the product.

I doubt competition will make them change. Competition from EA, Blizzard and Ubisoft didn't really make them change. Epic Games Launcher has the same inherent flaw that all these other game launchers have. Who uses Origin, or Ubisofts launcher, or Blizzards social options outside of when you play those games? Steam will always be able to sell games because it will be the primary default store launcher 99% of the time.

The biggest competition to Steam imo is discord, and it will take them years to be able to get enough investments to possibly try and compete.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really see a correlation and I don't think Valve making Left 4 Dead 3 would be a solution to keeping their store more appealing if it came to that.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
It's more likely that Auto Chess will get bought and turned into a fully fledged product than another Half-Life or Portal coming out. Which is fine with me, cuz I love Auto Chess.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think they can, Valves development process is so dysfunctional that they cannot do any better.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So you think it's just purposeful trolling? If that is the case, I guess I should stop giving any benefit of doubt.

That does seem more plausible than a group of concerned and dedicated fans of a classic PC FPS series bemoaning Valve's shift to be a platform holder and GAAS provider, while at the same time celebrating Epic following the same route to the detriment of their own classic PC FPS series.

Some of it is purposeful trolling, a lot of it is ignorance, contrarianism, console players who don't have a stake in the PC ecosystem just chiming in with hot takes, people blinded by the FUD of the likes of Galyonkin and Jim Sterling (who again, gains more money the more shit he stirs). Most of these are still not worth engaging with, because they're not here to actually discuss these things, just shit on Valve because they don't really care to begin with. I know this sounds like I'm framing everyone I disagree with as completely wrong bad actors, but I've been enough of these types of threads that I know that there's just no reaching some people, no matter how many facts you confront them with.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
At this point, I'd rather Valve keep doing what they're doing than have them trying to create some Frankenstein's Monster of a game from the remaining developers they have.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Nope. All epic might change about Valve is encourage them to fuck over consumers more than they are in order to combat Epic's shitty practices.

Also once again Era, you're bad at making polls. Stop restricting the options to fit your narratives.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've given up a long time ago on Valve ever making games I want to play anymore.
I just don't play multi-player games anymore and that's all they seem interested in making. Them Getting into VR was the last glimmer of hope to get something I care about from them, but even that they seem to have largely moved on from in terms of their own games.

The Half-life Episode 3 story leak from a while back was enough closure for me on that series, and as much as I love Portal 1+2 I at least thought Portal 2's ending was enough that I wasn't left begging for a sequel, plus the creation tools mean I can still play new Portal content if I want.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
They could make HL3 and people would still think of ways that it doesn't count as a real game to them.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I became a valve fan specifically becuase of portal 1 and 2 and then they retired from making games so that was short lived

I'm over it at this piont

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Valve is losing sources of revenue from the biggest and most critically anticipated games not going to their store.

1 first party game isn't going to make up 10 third party games.

The only way Valve can salvage this is find new ways to make their platform more attractive for 3rd parties.

I think their strongest possible move is to create a system where mods can be monetized and that way the original devs can get a cut from mods being sold on Steam.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i dunno, would HL3 or whatever hypothetical "return to form" Valve game really do anything to curb users migrating over to Epic or whatever? not really sure it would in the gist of things. maybe if they became nintendo essentially and released like 20 'exclusives' a year or something

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember even when they got "game of the decade" for half life 2 and gabe seemed salty and just talked about the massive development time so I doubt he wants to make a game like that again

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, Valve is big enough of a company to have foreseen this. If they could prevent losing games to other services without paying up they would have done it already.
And people are already too invested in Steam to stop using it.

Valve making games again won't change anything.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think Valve really missed an opportunity not hiring the Pavlov VR guys to make it into an official Counter-Strike VR game.

They could make HL3 and people would still think of ways that it doesn't count as a real game to them.
No lied detected. Artifact counts as a game. It flopped, but still counts.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Valve is losing sources of revenue from the biggest and most critically anticipated games not going to their store.

1 first party game isn't going to make up 10 third party games.

The only way Valve can salvage this is find new ways to make their platform more attractive for 3rd parties.

I think their strongest possible move is to create a system where mods can be monetized and that way the original devs can get a cut from mods being sold on Steam.

They tried this and got a ton of backlash, and backed out on it...

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Valve clearly doesn't give a crap about the fans. You know the people who ennabled thier success.

Mar 29, 2018
Lol at people choosing Option 3. Valve already announced they have three "full", probably AAA games in development.

Even if that was bullshit shareholder promises, at least one of those games will definitely release

Also I endorse the use of the phrase "Those Games" in the thread title

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Valve gets perception issues because their best games hit a much wider audience here than Epic's.

Also because Artifact came out recently and bombed into the core of the Earth.
Some of it is purposeful trolling, a lot of it is ignorance, contrarianism, console players who don't have a stake in the PC ecosystem just chiming in with hot takes, people blinded by the FUD of the likes of Galyonkin and Jim Sterling (who again, gains more money the more shit he stirs). Most of these are still not worth engaging with, because they're not here to actually discuss these things, just shit on Valve because they don't really care to begin with. I know this sounds like I'm framing everyone I disagree with as completely wrong bad actors, but I've been enough of these types of threads that I know that there's just no reaching some people, no matter how many facts you confront them with.
Yes, it does sound like that.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
All signs point to them making games - but they aren't "reel gaemz" as is argued constantly, as will become evident when the first set are VR related.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All signs point to them making games - but they aren't "reel gaemz" as is argued constantly, as will become evident when the first set are VR related.
I'd love to watch gamers across the net as their minds twist and bend during their attempts to reconcile Half-Life 3 as both a 'AAA game' and 'a VR exclusive'

scanners.gif

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I don't think most people would dispute that if the VR games are actually fully fleshed out games, and not just minigame collections