• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I think the title is.preety self-explanatory.
Since KH3 is now on Gamepass i think many like me have the same question in their heads.
I really like movies like Monster Inc and Toy Story. Game looks fun. But the convoluted story of the series and all the Final Fantasy stuff looks kinda intimidating and making it harder to jump on.
Should i just go ahead and play it? Or skip it entirely?
I definetely don't wanna start the series from the first game . That seems way too time consuming and i also don't own the other games

Edit:
After watching so many recap videos on Youtube about the series, i have at least SOME idea about what is going on with the story.
Man this series is fucking nonsense lol. It is REALLY as convoluted as they say.
So, okay i downloaded KH3 and started playing it. The game started out kinda okay. Visuals are great, music is top notch but combat is nothing special so far and the dialogues are awful.
However game is sure fun. I'm only at the Hercules world and they really nailed representing the aesthetic. If it's an indication for what's to come i can't fucking wait for Toy Story parts. I will keep playing.
Someone above said that it feels like a PS2 game in the best way possible. I think this is the best phrase to describe this game.

Last edited:

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Depends what you want. If you want to understand the story at all, then 100% no do not play 3 without playing the other games. If you just want to explore playable disney worlds then sure.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
The disney stuff and the OC kingdom heart stuff are pretty separate in the games, so you'll probably enjoy half the game. You'll probably want to skip the first bit of the game and the last few hours, since that's where kingdom hearts stuff really take place.

If you do want to get into the story, don't play 3 first. You won't understand any of it. I'd just reccomend skipping cutscenes when not in a Disney world. However, you're kinda skipping the main point of the game if you do that imo.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
I did, but a friend also spent 4 hours explaining the lore of the games to me. There's a bunch of stuff in-game that explain it to you too.

Honestly the stuff about the story is kinda overblown - there's a bad guy, you're the good guy, you have friends, he has allies, you're gonna have a big fight - that's about it. I wouldn't worry about not understanding it unless you really have to know exactly why every single character says every single thing they say.

I really, really enjoy the game too, and it's probably only gotten better with the DLC since release.

Definitely don't skip the last few hours, since it's the best stuff in the game by a country mile.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't enjoy it and I played the other games. The combat is nice but the story (which you probably won't care about) is pretty garbage.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you might as well try it I guess. Any enjoyment you'd find would be purely derived from spectacle.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Possibly.

Story is absolutely nonsense. Just ignore it.

I had fun with it and only played BBS before it. It felt like a high res PS2 game--in a good way.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There are recaps in the game if you want to get into the story, but if you're comfortable with the idea that the story will be very confusing, and are willing to go for the ride, I say just go straight into 3.

It's a really good game, and the main story kind of takes a back seat until the last couple of hours. Outside of a few visits to worlds that aren't from Disney properties, which are more story heavy, the general flow of the game is:
You visit a Disney world
A villain from a previous KH game is scheming there
You go on an adventure with the Disney characters

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's... definitely a tough one.
I've played all the games and I love KH3.
I know someone who has done the same, but hates it.

Not playing any of them, I mean you might find something in the story you like, but I personally think there's a far higher chance of hating it. I mean, it might be worth checking out one of the many YouTube summaries of the series at least.
If you go in strictly for the gameplay that can be fun.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was in your position this time last year and I thought the game was... OK. There's some boring exposition near the start bit you spend about 20 hours thereafter messing around in Disney worlds which is occasionally fun and the story bits only show up sporadically. Then the final 4/5 hours is a whole load of nonsense if you've not played any of the other games.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. I'd only really recommend it if you really want to play an above average action game with Disney characters. Most of everything else isn't good.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
The story is actually really easy to follow after you play all the games in the PS4/XboxOne collection.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Toy Story and Monsters Inc are probably the highlights of the Disney worlds for most people, so it's worth playing for those in my opinion.
I wouldn't recommend the game of you wanted to play it for Frozen though lol.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I wonder why you think the story is nonsense.

About 4 characters' bios have a variation of this sentence in them:

"After getting defeated by XY, this character ceased existing.
Now that he is back..."

Having playerd the previous games only makes it all the more clear how nonsensical every part of this story and plotting really is.

If you haven't played the previous games you at least have the illusion that there is some big plot in the background that ties it all together perfectly. So yeah, you could make the argument that not having played the previous games actually gives you a better experience, OP!

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the title is.preety self-explanatory.
Since KH3 is now on Gamepass i think many like me have the same question in their heads.
I really like movies like Monster Inc and Toy Story. Game looks fun. But the convoluted story of the series and all the Final Fantasy stuff looks kinda intimidating and making it harder to jump on.
Should i just go ahead and play it? Or skip it entirely?
I definetely don't wanna start the series from the first game . That seems way too time consuming and i also don't own the other games
The game is still fun to play even without the knowledge of the history of this series. KH3's story is just you training for a fight at the end of the game.

I suggest playing on Critical.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019

Now that he is back..."

Having playerd the previous games only makes it all the more clear how nonsensical every part of this story and plotting really is.

If you haven't played the previous games you at least have the illusion that there is some big plot in the background that ties it all together perfectly. So yeah, you could make the argument that not having played the previous games actually gives you a better experience, OP!
The only nonsense part of the story are the segments surrounding the time travel portion of DDD. It's definitely cringey and anime as hell which I'm sure is why a lot of people call it dumb but the story mostly makes sense if you've played everything.

Nov 17, 2019
KH3 was my first KH and I had a blast. Got my younger brother to try it and he had a lot of fun as well. You can watch a couple youtube videos for the story or you can just enjoy the cool stuff that happens on screen when you mash buttons. It was a good time overall.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Now that he is back..."

I lol'ed when:

That end game appearance of the character only found in a mobile phone game was hilarious AF. Gotta love Nomura

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Story-wise, the numbered KH games are sort of like the Avengers titles in the MCU - it's kinda hard to follow if you haven't been keeping up with what's been released in between.

People here love to shit on KH but honestly as bizarre as it is, it's super genuine and sincere in its wackiness, which I (and many others) find very endearing.

Even if you're not interested in the story, the gameplay is great and the Disney levels are very faithful interpretations of the world's the movies take place in.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can stomach the first scenes of awkward pauses and cringe dialog, youll find a good action RPG.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The thing is i don't wanna do that.
There are recaps that are easily accessed from the main menu, and there are plenty of videos explaining the general story beats of the games.

I think enjoying the game on it's own merits is totally fine, but if you want better context, there are plenty of tools around to acquaint yourself of the story in a shorter time then playing the games.

I do hope you can check out the older games someday, though. I hold the belief that nearly all of them still hold up as fun games today.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I have a similar question but I have played KH1 and 2. Include CoM. I can't be arsed to play Birth by Sleep or Dream Drop Distance and watch all those movies too.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a big disney guy then I don't see how you can go wrong with 3. it's clearly designed to also appeal to people that haven't played any of the series, especially kids too young to play the older ones.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Dealing with the story is only half the battle op.

A big hurdle that players who haven't played the games prior to KHIII or haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game since the PS2 have to deal with is the awful voice direction, which seems designed to infuriate.

Be prepared to hear the following phrase said over in over between all the hollowly performed lines from Disney characters: "Sora, Donald, Goofy!"

Oct 27, 2017
I tried really hard. It is straight garbage. For how much it's talked about, you'll never believe how shallow the attempt at story actually is. Attractions are kinda fun in combat, but that is it. Level design, enemy design, and combat are all mindless.

Don't listen to the people who say the story is coherent and not nonsense.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
If you have any interest in the story then no because it's not a standalone story. You need to have followed the other various entries of the series to understand it. If you don't care about the story then you may get some enjoyment out of it.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
KH3 is literally the sequel to Dream Drop Distance so you will be lost.

Eh, I've been spoiled on the plot of Dream Drop Distance by a friend so I think I'll just skip straight to 3.

Part of me hopes the next KH game is its own thing and not the start of another convulated story. Its a Disney game for crying out loud. Its unreasonable to expect kids to keep up with this stuff across multiple platforms.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MYmjJks.png

Oh look, another thread of someone asking if they they can play the latest Kingdom Hearts game without having played the rest derailing in in to hot takes about making fun of the story.

Nov 8, 2017
The only other KH game I've played is Dream Drop Distance on 3DS.
I'm very much enjoying KH3 despite not playing any of the others.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, yes you might.

Just take into consideration you might not understand parts of the story. But apart from that there is a good game, with fun gameplay, beautiful graphics and great soundtrack. There's a lot there to enjoy.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Do you care really only about the Disney stuff? Sure play it. If you are more interested in the Kingdom Hearts plot, then no play the other games first or watch videos.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
MYmjJks.png

Oh look, another thread of someone asking if they they can play the latest Kingdom Hearts game without having played the rest derailing in in to hot takes about making fun of the story.

Freaking tell me about it. Like, is it that fun to be hyperbolic about people enjoying something they don't? I feel like people keep lapsing into Mad Videogame Geek reviewer mode when we talk about this. Like people release a valve whenever a thread about KH's story shows up.

Like was said before, KH is totally dense, but yeah, some people like that density. There's a lot to enjoy and callbacks feel exciting. It's always been a story you follow more with your heart and interest in the characters then with your brain. That's how "Aqua Got Norted," got popular so quickly, people really cared about the character. Plus people made fun of them, and the verb is funny.

Nobody can be this consistently peeved about the story on purpose. It's like Final Fantasy threads trying to promote positivity about the franchise degrading into characters complaining about other people liking "the bad one." It's childish. If people have an issue, and they see people saying it's rediculous nonsense already, just don't even post unless you have Something to say.

One sentence posts are gonna be the death of these forums someday.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more KH games you play, the less you'll understand the story. Jumping straight into 3 is fine and you'll have a good time.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Eh, I've been spoiled on the plot of Dream Drop Distance by a friend so I think I'll just skip straight to 3.

Part of me hopes the next KH game is its own thing and not the start of another convulated story. Its a Disney game for crying out loud. Its unreasonable to expect kids to keep up with this stuff across multiple platforms.

The fanbase of Kingdom Hearts are almost exclusively young adults.
And no, the next KH game won't be its own thing, that is pretty clear already.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
KH1 and KH2 are worth a playthrough for sure but if you only want to play KH3 then by all means! Story is hit or miss but overall I like the mainline games.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I'm going to say no, it's very imporant to know where you've been before you go forward, I would at least play the numbered entries.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
The fanbase of Kingdom Hearts are almost exclusively young adults.
And no, the next KH game won't be its own thing, that is pretty clear already.

Teens are kids too, my dude. I couldn't keep up with the franchise when it decided you needed 3 new platforms to keep up after KH2.